Skip to content

Do you have a romantic partner?

1235»

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2015
    I agree with @GreenWarlock. If you are in your forties and have had little luck with dating, it's well about time to stop staying focussed on wanting to find a romantic partner and focus instead of how to live a fulfilling life as a single. The tendency in society is far too much on living with a partner, but for some, that's just not going to happen, there's no 'lid to fit every pot', that's a myth, life isn't in some way preordained to having everyone end up with a partner.

There's no use keeping focussed on dreaming of finding a mate when all it does is making you feel miserable and alone. I chose to focus instead on the good things of being single: living your life as you want it to, having enough time to be on your own to do things I like, gaming, enjoying nature with a walk or a trip by bike. There's many ways to find fulfilment in life besides romance. There's contact with friends and families, there's hobbies, there's finding a means to live your passions. I strive for a just world for instance, with a clean environment, a far more equitable distribution of wealth, no oppression, no greed or selfishness. I found myself a volunteer's job in stepping up for the rights of people who like me are mentally ill and in voicing our needs to the local government, creating meetings where mentally ill people are centre-stage and are pampered with a lunch, there's a speech and a theme to talk about etc., I'm in part fulfilling that passion.

When I get home, all stressed out by all the people I've met, my head restless and busy with all the impressions of the day which my mentally ill head finds so hard to handle, I'm thankful for coming home in solitude and not having to take into account the needs of someone I would come home to, when I come home, I have time for myself, I vent my stress by calling my parents on the phone (contact with family is more important if you're single and on top of that handicapped as well) and then there's a quiet house I enjoy. No kids to take care of.

There's no partner who's expectations I have to deal with. I've had a short relation 4 times in my 44 year old life, but the most recent ones, expectations of both sides collided, I wanted much more intimacy than they could offer, my last partner wanted much more time together than I could offer. I want to put time and attention to my work, to gaming, I need (because of my mental illness) lots of time being alone to recover, I lack energy because of that illness and my hobbies (gaming, nature, reading), my work (as explained above), my household and the time I need to recover take up all my life. Fitting a partner in just makes it worse. For sexual needs, there's the perfect coupling of my hand and the internet, for intimacy there's friends and family or a hug with a colleague for instance (we've got quit a warm organisation and some of my colleagues I like a lot and we express that in a 'bromance' hug sometimes).

I finally decided I'm alone and single, not because I can't find anyone, but because I don't want to be involved in romance and since that decision, my life has become so much more enjoyable and fulfilling. I can recommend making that shift in focus to anyone who couldn't find anyone after years of searching and getting older. Let the coming part of your life not be about finding someone to be happy with, but about being happy on and with your own.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Love is all you need.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, I've found that differing tastes in shows and movies are helpful, as long as there's still some common ground. That way when you're traveling alone or on the treadmill or whatever, there's stuff you can watch without worrying that your partner will feel left out.

(But no rap in the house?! That one would be hard for me.)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    joluv said:

Yeah, I've found that differing tastes in shows and movies are helpful, as long as there's still some common ground. That way when you're traveling alone or on the treadmill or whatever, there's stuff you can watch without worrying that your partner will feel left out.

(But no rap in the house?! That one would be hard for me.)

She would enjoy hits from Sir Mix-A-Lot or Beastie Boys or maybe Eminem but not something like Pharoahe Monch, The Roots or Deltron 3030. Little ones are also a factor in music choices, though I tend not to play "kids" music for them so much as to avoid significant profanity in the songs.
    edited March 2015
    I think I've found someone who can help.
    Post edited by joluv on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @joluv Where did you get that? You should put it in the meme thread!
    OK, I will. I just made it; the skull is from the Forgotten Realms Wiki.

How do I post pictures full size anyway?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    joluv said:

I think I've found someone who can help.

Velsharoon? Is that you?
    /My Bhaalspawn Clerics worship Velsharoon.

I wish I could play as a Lich. /cries.