Skip to content

Plot points you want explored

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
In chateau Irenicus, the duergar there have a strange battle cry: "By Moradin's Hammer!"

This got me thinking: who are these duergar? Are they outcasts who abandoned the evil ways if their people, and took up the worship of the dwarven gods? Are they indeed, some of the only good duergar in the realms? Are they under a geas, like Yoshimo, to work for Irenicus?

Yeah, I thought about this. And it makes me feel bad for killing them.

Anyone else have any bits like this which just begs to be fleshed out more?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Thanks for the link. I'll enjoy reading that thread.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    By the way why do you call Irenicus' dungeon "chateau Irenicus"? It always troubles me when I read a French word in the middle of an English sentence.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I forgot about him! A well earned 'agree'
    Why is Dradeel unable to destroy Irenicus on his own? According to his BG1 abilities (namely changing a fireball element to Ice) he is an archmage, meaning he could easily take Irenicus down?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arunsun: It's possible such a spell was created through new research rather than metamagic. He might not be an archmage.

Or maybe his abilities have languished in Spellhold. He might have lost some magical skill along with his sanity.
    @semiticgod lore-wise, he is a member of the legendary Balduran crew. These must have been quite strong adventurers back then, and it seems rather likely their mage, Dradeel, was an archmagi.
    + The damage he deals with his "cold fireball" one shot 3 of my mates in BG1 (everyone had reached xp cap at this time) which an ordinary fireball (capped to 10d6) could not do.
    He is a way tougher opponent than Shandalar (the mage in ulgoth beard, the enemy that gives the biggest amount of exp in BG1 (22k)) for example.
    This archamagi hypothesis seems to be confirmed with the spells he uses in the battle against Irenicus.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Arunsun said:

Why is Dradeel unable to destroy Irenicus on his own? According to his BG1 abilities (namely changing a fireball element to Ice) he is an archmage, meaning he could easily take Irenicus down?

Irenicus shoots the equivalent of multiple 6th and 7th level spells in a single fight as though he had an infinite supply, without a breath in between. Changing elements doesn't really compare to being an arcane machine gun.
    @lunar I knew he was a worshipper of Selune but I did not know all that.

Yet he must still be quite powerful: according to his official story, after being freed by Charname, he kills his former ally Golodon the unmanned, who had become by then a "very powerful mage", and that s how he got locked up in Spellhold.

I would really love to have Dradeel in my team though :smiley:

Another question concerning BP2, it contains some SPOILERS though: how did the Winged (a Deva, a Torm Worshipper) ended up under Szass Tam control and eventually under Dennaton's command?
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Where exactly did the Black Pits patrons obtain numerous unique artifacts in the possession of Charname? Has Charname retired to watched these matches in Thay, occasionally sending in a particularly powerful item (Lilacor, Carsomyr, Flail of the Ages)?
    ambrennan: as you visit them during Neera s ToB Quest, you may assume Black Pits events occur after ToB. It is not unlogical that:
    If Charname ascended to Godhood, his mates sold their gears to start a new life
    If he didn't, he sold his stuff to start a new life as well.

The most unlogical thing about BP2 is more that BP2 do occur after ToB, but you still to fight two bhaalspawns (one of whichbis extremely powerful)
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Arunsun said:

ambrennan: as you visit them during Neera s ToB Quest, you may assume Black Pits events occur after ToB. It is not unlogical that:
    If Charname ascended to Godhood, his mates sold their gears to start a new life

The most unlogical thing about BP2 is more that BP2 do occur after ToB, but you still to fight two bhaalspawns (one of whichbis extremely powerful)

Maybe not so unlogical. If i don't remember bad not every bhaalspawns were dead at the end game, only most of them. And if a bhaalspawn achieved to have a great power it wouldn't be lost without bhaal powers (as the game shows)
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    It still seems a bit of a stretch that charname would sell off all legendary weapons if he planned on doing more adventuring (as the epilogue implies) - unless you are saying that we somehow found a pile of two handed swords +9001, which would render Carsomyr obsolete vendor trash.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Depending on the Charname, a lot of the best TOB weapons end up as vendor trash anyway. I can't tell you how many parties I've run where I had no one to wield Carsomyr.
    @Daevelon: What s next might be some spoiler, but these bhaalspawn are just high level assassin and fighter, but the former can polymorph into the Slayer while the latter can polymorph into the Ravager, which means the latter masters his Bhaalspawn essence further than Charname. It certainly means as well that they do not have just a very small piece of Bhaal Essence (Imoen is a lesser Bhaalspawn and she cannot turn into the slayer). From there, it is unlikely that the Bhaal Essence Charname gets from Amelyssan is enough to be claimed as nearly all the essence.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited March 2015
    Arunsun said:

@Daevelon: What s next might be some spoiler, but these bhaalspawn are just high level assassin and fighter, but the former can polymorph into the Slayer while the latter can polymorph into the Ravager, which means the latter masters his Bhaalspawn essence further than Charname. It certainly means as well that they do not have just a very small piece of Bhaal Essence (Imoen is a lesser Bhaalspawn and she cannot turn into the slayer). From there, it is unlikely that the Bhaal Essence Charname gets from Amelyssan is enough to be claimed as nearly all the essence.

Well, charname started to become the Slayer after his soul was ripped out from him.
    Maybe the same happened to them too? The essence was ripped from Amelyssan in some way?
    Anyway i just think it was not intentional, just a mistake from the developers making the Black Pits;)
    When you say you want to see Elence Fielding's wares, she says,

"Always willing to satisfy a customer... with gold, that is."

Is she saying she's willing to satisfy a customer with her gold and wares? Or satisfy any customer who has gold to pay her?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,522
    bengoshi said:

I want to see the actual story behind one poor minotaur under the Copper Coronet.

Why is he there? What his encounter with the Myconids is all about? Why can't we help him? He feels so lonely there...

That's a joke character from one of the developers. You will need to dig for the info which of them had him as a dnd character.

Regardless of that i agree that they could have made him more quest involved.
    There's more to Pai'Na than meets the eye.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ambrennan said:

Where exactly did the Black Pits patrons obtain numerous unique artifacts in the possession of Charname? Has Charname retired to watched these matches in Thay, occasionally sending in a particularly powerful item (Lilacor, Carsomyr, Flail of the Ages)?

The average CHARNAME doesn't keep even half the eldritch murder tools they acquire. Most parties only need Lilarcor or Carsomyr, not both. The Flail of Ages is generally only going to see use with Anomen, Viconia, or CHARNAME. I could go on and on...