Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Ouch! That was a brutal battle. You're playing on LoB mode right? I think I'll avoid that one for the time being lol.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,538
    Anyone doing a noreload SoD walk through?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I decided to make this a minimal reload run and promptly took a major risk. Turns out SCS liches come pre-buffed with Protection from Magical Energy, which means a WoL Daystar Sunray won't affect them at all (the instant death effect of Sunray never works on liches; their save vs. spell is too low). We'll have to do without Daystar for a while, since SCS also prevents you from snatching it and leaving. And Protection from Undead won't help us against a summoned Cornugon with Remove Magic when only one member of our party has Spell Immunity. I don't bother fighting the lich.

No problem. We've got plenty of other options besides Daystar.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,060
    lroumen said:

Anyone doing a noreload SoD walk through?

Looking forward to this.

Underneath all the juvenile controversy, it seems that SoD is a decent game. I hope someone will test it soon in no-reload. (And really looking forward to its SCS-ization.)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,538
    First I will rush a bit through bg1 with my transmuter, then I will see how far I can get noreload wise in sod.
    Now that we've got the Temple Ruins out of the way, we won't have to deal with undead for a while, whose immunities stymied some of our best options.

Unfortunately, Trolls still have inaccurately broad immunities due to engine limitations, but Sunfire will still work even if Emotion won't.

After buffing most of the party with Protection from Electricity to block Call Lightning, we approach Kyland Lind. We lose Valos early to a Charm Person or Mammal spell, but we have much stronger disablers than the enemy.

One druid resists basically everything we throw at him, so we haul out a group of Efreet to help us out.

Espellier burns her way through the mushroom bridge, only to die in a single round against some bears, since she only had one Stoneskin left.

Fighting Dalok was a mess, but it's not very enlightening. Basically we mobbed him with the Efreet brigade, an Insect Plague shut down most of our party member's spellcasting, Jan bailed us out with Invisibility 10' Radius to wait out the spell failure, and then we had to resort to spider form to kill the enemy druids when our Efreet faded away.

The Efreeti from the Efreeti Bottle is terribly strong, but it only lasts 10 rounds. Plus, its script prioritizes turning invisible over attacking, which costs us precious seconds it could be using to whomp on the enemy. It's a very strong but very unresponsive summons, much like Nymphs from Call Woodland Beings. Bring out six at once (it appears to bypass the summoning cap, like demon summoning, at least with the Wand of Lightning), and they're very difficult to control.

Cernd kills Faldorn, by which I mean I hit her with CTRL-Y. Back at Trademeet, we take all the credit in front of Lord Logan Coinpurse.

Next up, the De'Arnise Hold.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey everyone, Saoni is still alive. She's ready to take on the Bandit Camp. But I also bought SoD and now I want to do an SCS/LoB/Ascension run through the trilogy including SoD, with extra XP activated, the XP cap removed in BG2, and with BG2Tweaks' enhanced spell and Thac0 progression tables, to turn the entire adventure into more of a high level campaign.

I have a few questions:
    - LoB apparently increases enemy AI (not just enemy HPs, Thac0, APR etc). Is this AI enhancement significant? Does anyone know how it compars to SCS?
    - If I install SCS in BGEE, do its general components (spell tweaks, smarter general AI, smarter Mages etc) also apply to SoD?
    - @semiticgod, does your current install include Ascension? Is it possible to play Ascension in BG2EE v2.1?
    @Seraph

This reminds me of the super-luckily rolled Dragon Disciple that I lost in Candlekeep not long ago. Carbos probably ended more no-reload runs then anyone -- even without Legacy of Bhaal.
    I want to install aTweaks' scroll scribing component to permit broader use of the WoL trick, but I'm afraid of messing with my install. I'd rather use EEKeeper to add the scrolls and remove the gold. Does aTweaks-style scroll scribing cost the exact same amount as the scroll, or is there a standardized cost? I ask because there are two scrolls of Emotion and Sunfire with different prices, and Fireball and Dire Charm don't cost the same amount of money despite being the same level.
    Condolences, @lurith

If memory serves, @Alesia_BH had previously no-reloaded successfully a solo thief (among other classes). It is a fascinating challenge I have yet to dare myself.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I usually deal with the Cloakwood spider map by having a strong melee fighter drink a Potion of Freedom, and then have him or her run around right into the Webs. When he aggros spiders or ettercaps, he runs back to the rest of the party, which is waiting in ambush.

If I work fast, I can usually get all the Webs set off in one Potion of Freedom, but if things don't go smoothly enough, it can take two or even three. (I believe Thalantyr only has three, so it's never been more than that.)

If I work my way to the central lair and get the Spider's Bane sword, I can then continue the same strategy for the rest of the map, using the sword.

I don't know of any better use in BG1 for the Potions of Freedom that Thalantyr sells. They can make this otherwise terrifying map a piece of cake.
    All right. We moved on to kill Mae'Var. Although everybody got debuffed early on, we overwhelmed the enemy with a flood of disablers, relying on our gang of Efreet to do the heavy lifting. As tough as MGOI is, it doesn't stop Greater Malison and Chaos, or an Efreeti's Flame Strike.

We sided with Bodhi because SCS vampires suck. I like to start the main quest immediately after killing Mae'Var, because siding with Bodhi cuts off the Mae'Var questline, but grants a lot of fast XP. Before proceeding to Aran Linvail, we first stopped by the Windspear Hills.

I did something to improve our chances which had a small impact but I feel was clever. Instead of traveling from Athkatla to the Windspear Hills, I first stopped by the Druid Grove. This way, both my Stoneskin and Invisibility 10' Radius spells would still be active when I arrived for the paladin ambush.

Most of Firkraag's lair wasn't actually all that enlightening. I relied heavily on the Efreet for almost everything. Some cute optimizations included (1) using Protection from Normal Weapons to block the attacks of Vampiric Mists, saving us hundreds or thousands of gold in Restoration spells from a temple, (2) using PFMW and double Fire Shields to damage golems (though the Efreet brigade still did most of the work), (3) slipping past the Ancient Vampire horde using Invisibility 10' Radius, (4) permanently disabling those awful Greater Wolfweres using Lower Resistance, Greater Malison, and Feeblemind, and (5) prebuffing the whole party with Protection from Fire and carefully timing WoL Sunfire spells, one from our Necromancer and two from our Invoker, to interrupt Kaol's and Legdoril's spells when fighting Samia and her entourage in close quarters.

Finally we meet Firkraag and have to fight Conster. The thing about our party is that we have mage levels on every character, but our scrolls are actually spread surprisingly thin. Three of our characters have Spell Immunity, another two have Spell Immunity: Abjuration, the SCS-exclusive spell that only provides SI: Abj, but no other SI spells, and one person, Laosha, has no immunity to dispel magic at all. Right off the bat, I know Laosha is going to be very weak in this fight.

We start out with a coordinated assault: multiple Spell Thrust spells to debuff Conster, alongside a Greater Malison from Jan and a Chaos spell from Poppy, our Enchanter Charname. Despite a combined -10 save penalty, Conster resists the spell.

The next round, however, we confuse him with a second Chaos spell.

One problem with my install is that the SCS strings are messed up, so I have to rely on the spell visuals to see which spell protections a mage has active. I have to dedicate extra time to debuffing because I have no way of knowing in advance how much pressure I need to debuff a mage. I have to wait several seconds to find out if a mage's defenses are down.

We break down Conster's defenses on the third round... and knock him out at the same time.

But somehow he wakes up, despite Emotion not allowing victims to wake up on being hit. The instant he does, he fires off a Spell Trigger.

This is bad news. Four of my characters are in spider form and have to spend another round returning to normal form before we can restart debuffing him. Sil, who never learned Polymorph Self and was already in human form, has no good spells to cast, and therefore brings out the Efreet brigade, which I had hoped not to use. The Efreet blast Conster with damage spells. The lingering poison damage from our spider attacks finishes him off.

Laosha and Sil are inches away from regaining their cleric levels. They will be absolute monsters once they do.
    Since I've had some good fortune with this skald run, I think I'll enter it here until I die. I'm in the Cloakwood, so I may not be posting in here for long. Things could go badly rather quickly at this point.

This is my skald:

I have read the charisma tome to raise my charisma to 18.

Party is me, Ajantis, Branwen, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen. Imoen and I are level 6, the rest are level 5.

Game setup is no mods, Core Rules, no max hit points, no automatic spell learning. It's interesting how luck can affect hit points without the max hit points cheat. RNG tends to even out all the hit dice of various character classes, leaving everyone in the party near a median hit point value. It doesn't matter though, because I learned a long time ago that hit points don't matter - it's not getting hit in the first place that matters, along with spell resistances and immunities.

Here's our completed quests as of now:

Update on Nicholas Todd the Skald:

We've completed the Cloakwood, Davaeorn, ankhegs, and BG City up through Marek's and Lothander's poison quest, and most associated side quests along the way.

I decided to go up to Ulgoth's Beard and start the Werewolf Island quest, which I think I'd like to do this run, because it's so much easy xp, as long as you're prepared to handle Karoug. (That basically means Dynaheir with Haste spells, my skald song, and Ajantis has two pips in bastard sword. Minsc can use the other sword non-proficiently if necessary.) The decision to go to Werewolf Island could end my no-reload, but, I've always kind of liked that module, a lot better than I like either Ice Island or Durlag's Tower, mostly because it's a straight up physical melee module with no mage or trap cheese against the party. I do love a straightforward fight with party magic supporting the fighters. I see that as fair and honorable. I see mage cheese as unfair and dishonorable.

After returning to BG City to get the sea charts, we're going to pursue the main questline and convenient side quests up through exiting the Candlekeep Catacombs to the south, doing the siren map along the way, and only then actually going to Werewolf Island as a last module before finishing up with Sarevok and BG1, and transitioning into SoD.

I'm not planning on going to Ice Island or Durlag's Tower, because, mage, trap, and maze Limburger - yuck. No thank you.

Lots of excitement and close calls today, but, really, just the same old same old BG1 to all the no-reload veterans who've played a thousand times, so, I didn't really think making battle-by-battle screen shots and writing description for them was worth it.

Here are a couple of screen shots showing my place in the game with my current journal: