Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,060
    edited September 2016
    A tentative question to those who played SoD:

My current run with a F/M is nearing the end of BGEE (with SCS). The F/M will be overleved (due to soloing for a while and playing completionist) to something like 300k XP - joined now with full party (Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Viconia, Neera) of normal XP level (~150k) chars.

*** Q.: In this first, blind no-reload run of SoD, what difficulty should I play at?

I was thinking to start with INSANE and hope that the overleveling (prior as well as in SoD, due to extra monsters) would give me space enough for safety. Or is SoD hard enough that I should stick to CORE RULES? (Given that SoD lacks SCS, I'm not sure if it creates much of a challenge.)

[EDIT: I use the option of "no damage bonus for increased difficulty"]
    Post edited by Ygramul on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    @Ygramul I've only played the relatively early stages of it, but I would suggest you stick to core rules to start with. The large number of opponents in some fights and much tougher AI settings will provide significantly more challenge than BG1, even before you factor in the lack of meta-game knowledge (both relating to plot and knowing what special abilities some new monsters have).

Incidentally I don't know if you will benefit from overlevelling. In the latest update of BG2EE my imported characters now only get the level cap XP from BG1 despite earning far more than that.
    Grond0 said:

Incidentally I don't know if you will benefit from overlevelling. In the latest update of BG2EE my imported characters now only get the level cap XP from BG1 despite earning far more than that.

Hmmm... I'm not above EEkeepering back my hard earned XP in BG2EE.

By the way, does the AI on SoD at higher difficulties actually act *smarter* (as the description claims it does)? Or just gives you more enemies?

Speculatively (not having played it yet), I imagine that beyond a certain point increasing the number of enemies does not significantly increase challenge, though gives greater rewards. (Especially, if you have casters with Crowd-Control + Area-Damage capabilities.) But this is just speculation, of course....
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    edited September 2016
    Ygramul said:

By the way, does the AI on SoD at higher difficulties actually act *smarter* (as the description claims it does)? Or just gives you more enemies?

Speculatively (not having played it yet), I imagine that beyond a certain point increasing the number of enemies does not significantly increase challenge, though gives greater rewards. (Especially, if you have casters with Crowd-Control + Area-Damage capabilities.) But this is just speculation, of course....

The difficulty is more to do with the AI than the number of enemies. AI is definitely 'smarter', even to the point of being arguably unfair. As an example you might choose to use crowd control tactics by skull trapping a chasing group. Several of them fall, but others come on and you retreat slightly and go invisible thinking they will stop where you were ready for you to throw in another skull trap. If you are not ready for it the fact that, once they have first seen you, they use a 'follow-me' script to track you down and surround you anywhere in the area can be quite hard to deal with (though I've only tried SoD playing solo and I guess the AI changes will make less difference to party play).
    Grond0 said:

The difficulty is more to do with the AI than the number of enemies. AI is definitely 'smarter', even to the point of being arguably unfair.

Awesome!

If true, I hope Beamdog makes more CRPGs.
    (Perhaps an expert will comment on AI development: @JuliusBorisov ?)

I was miffed about how low quality some of the first EE content were (Neera's questline, e.g., is poorly written and unchallenging in both BG1 and BG2). If they finally figured out to do both the plot and the AI well in SoD, then Beamdog have finally arrived and we can look forward to more games!

I can only hope.

@Grond0 is right about the AI in SoD.

Difficulty settings in SoD affect a larger variety of things than just enemy damage. Some examples include enemy combat tactics (how intelligently they pick their targets), enemy numbers (3 enemies on Normal, 5 on Core Rules and 6 on Hard, 7 on Insane), enemy group composition (3 melee opponents on Normal, 2 additional archers on Core Rules, an extra healer on Hard and an opponent with special abilities on Insane) as well as enemy spell / item use.

As for the quality of SoD, explore it, @Ygramul, and share your opinions. I'll be happy to find out your thoughts regarding the content and the AI in SoD.

Wow. Really looking forward to this. Thanks.
    And this is really the right direction regarding the difficulty (i.e., AI + opponent variety instead of bullet sponges).

I hope Beamdog stays in the game to craft a few more titles, if such a direction is maintained.
    P.S. @JuliusBorisov
    a follow-up question, if I may:

Would you consider updating the IWDEE (and maybe even the original BGEE/BG2EE) with the new AI + opponent variety updates?

This is the kind of thing I would gladly pay up in a $20 DLC for. No new content other than AI + gameplay.

(After all, BG/BG2 became classics --along with SCS-- exactly for this reason. It would be money well-spent for several hundred hours of new challenging gameplay.)

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    edited September 2016
    Aasim said:

Blind no-reload is a step up from the typical challenge...

It really is, and I must say I enjoyed it immensly. Especially the first SoD dungeon - it really felt like playing an old-school rpg - you stealth, explore slowly ahead, search for traps - none of these really are a thing for most of us in BG(1 or 2) since everybody here knows exact trap location, trap effect and how low your saves must be to avoid it. :)
    I have made a point of trying not to remember trap effects. I can't forget where they are. :(

However I have no idea what my saves have to be. That is a matter of choice. :)
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2016
    @Ygramul, I'm glad to see your run nearing SoD, and I'm glad to see that you're running it blind...

For what it is worth, I moved from SCS on core in BG1 to just core in SoD, also running blind. If I would have been on insane, I think my run would have ended by now. There are a few surprises.

I've been playing as carefully as I know how. That means scouting and looking for ways around fights; and buffing, then buffing my buffs, then buffing those buffs, then equipping everything I can get my hands on that adds yet more buffs. And sometimes buffing just to go scouting. My characters are glowing lots of weird swirly patterns all the time.

I'm maybe halfway through SoD right now... not totally sure. It's gripping, even if I'm spending most of my time on potion acquisition and buffing.

Stay safe ;)
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,034

A new party emerges in Candlekeep.

I have installed Song of Silence, but the only kit that I have added is Adventurer.

I was quite shocked when I realised that I was only given 100 gold pieces for three party members.
    In vanilla the amount of gold at the start went up with the number of party members, and also according to the type of member. (Fighters got more than thieves because their equipment is more expensive.

100gp is fine for a solo character but a bit stingy for a larger party.
    Wise - I think it is in part random, because I have gotten wide variety of gold amounts, even for similar characters/classes. If you start with 3 party members, then you have maybe easy solution - make sure at least one character is max locks (if thief), or one character is barbarian (Kai can open it), then get the sapphire at Winthrop's Inn. : ) Then you got plenty gold for your equipment.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

A new party emerges in Candlekeep. I have installed Song of Silence, but the only kit that I have added is Adventurer.

I was quite shocked when I realised that I was only given 100 gold pieces for three party members.
    In vanilla the amount of gold at the start went up with the number of party members, and also according to the type of member. (Fighters got more than thieves because their equipment is more expensive.

Wise - I think it is in part random, because I have gotten wide variety of gold amounts, even for similar characters/classes. If you start with 3 party members, then you have maybe easy solution - make sure at least one character is max locks (if thief), or one character is barbarian (Kai can open it), then get the sapphire at Winthrop's Inn. : ) Then you got plenty gold for your equipment.
    And don't forget to "Noober" Firebeard for some extra cash.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    Ygramul said:

Would you consider updating the IWDEE (and maybe even the original BGEE/BG2EE) with the new AI + opponent variety updates?
    This is the kind of thing I would gladly pay up in a $20 DLC for. No new content other than AI + gameplay.

I can't comment on future projects, so I can't answer your question.
    @Grond0 Looking pretty good, but fancy attacking Adalon!!
    edited October 2016
    The adventure of Sir Giles and party came to an unexpected premature end at the hands of the ogrillon south of Beregost. Sir Giles was killed by one blow of the ogrillon. I thought that was not possible at level one. :( (Perhaps a change made in EE. ?)

@Corey_Russell You said: Wise - I think it is in part random, because I have gotten wide variety of gold amounts, even for similar characters/classes. If you start with 3 party members, then you have maybe easy solution - make sure at least one character is max locks (if thief), or one character is barbarian (Kai can open it), then get the sapphire at Winthrop's Inn. : ) Then you got plenty gold for your equipment.

I didn't have any problems with it myself. On this occasion my Paladin had Cha 18 and so gained the knife +1 without trying. I have recieved 100 gp in every single game.

In my previous game my barbarian opened the chest with the 1000gp gem in it.

I also know that a thief can pickpocket the knife.

You used to be able to kill Fuller or Hull to get their weaponry. Is that option still open? I know that killing Firebead or Phlydia is no longer an option. :( That wasn't an option with a paladin leading the party, but if the leader was a Blackguard...!

However the prologue is supposed to be relatively easy even for newcomers to the game.

I modded my game by giving the assassins better equipment to make it more of a challenge. The side-effect of that is that my thief had quite good equipment after killing them. I actually had to nerf my original modification as the equipment was so good that it unbalanced the later game and party thieves became uber-powerful.
    edited October 2016
    BillyYank said:

A new party emerges in Candlekeep. I have installed Song of Silence, but the only kit that I have added is Adventurer.

And don't forget to "Noober" Firebeard for some extra cash.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I used to kill him, but can't now as you die if you kill him. :(
    I presume that you mean pickpocket him. Is that right?
    edited October 2016
    A new solo attempt, this time with a barbarian dwarf called Mastaeg.

Barbarian rage proved to be too much for both the ogre and Tarnesh.
    Lina gave a very satisfying "massage" at the FAI. ;)
    Afterwards he headed northwards and helped Joia, a woman being pestered by an undead husband, and finally helping Tenya in her struggle against some evil fishermen. This brought him to level 3 with proficiencies ** in axes and *** in dual wielding.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on