Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    @Aasim Well done. Wish you both luck and intelligence in Amn. :)
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

@Aasim Well done. Wish you both luck and intelligence in Amn. :)

Heh, I yet *hope* to see Amn.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2016

Be careful! Good number of insta-death type stuff in BG 2 (petrification traps, imprisonment, finger of death, disintegrate, etc.)

Ooh, more ways to die! Just what I need...
    Thanks; I'll return there later since I'm inpatient to get my party assembled and I don't want them to waste XP. And given my experience with level draining in SoD, Dorn will be useful in that cave I guess - if I can just find him. :)
    edited October 2016
    @Aasim good luck finding Dorn!
    @Aasim nice work! I was too scared to go after the Barghest there at Bridgefort. He looked mean.

Re: Dorn's equipment if you care to know:

Don't forget to search all the containers near the cage he was locked up in.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Aasim: On many occasions I've lost all but one party member and was forced to run away and raise the dead, and I too avoided resting for fear I'd lose my equipment. In fact, in my run of SoD (it's buried somewhere in this thread), I lost all five NPCs in that same area.

I accidentally turned the dwarven clerics hostile, which meant I didn't have the anti-lich item when the lich attacked me for snooping around.
    @semiticgod That sounds terrible. I would have run away so fast! I'm going to have to go back and read your SoD posts now....
    edited October 2016
    @Blind_Visionary
    Re Dorn - thanks, you're being extra helpful. He didn't have anything special on him, but Displacement Cloak isn't too shabby and Sword of Chaos is also decent enough.

@semiticgod
    Well, I'll definitely look for your run of SoD after I'm done with it (I hope I won't die this time, at least not prior to final battle; I feel as if I've missed a lot of SoD stuff for some reason. I don't want to read too many spoilers about it so if I need help I prefer to ask here for a specific hint rather than googling for a walkthrough)

@Grond0
    I'll notify you if I get to Amn. Btw, you said "I've been playing so much with the EE where HPs are always on the high side". Is it changed?

P.S.
    GL with your monks.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    Aasim said:

@Blind_Visionary
    @Grond0
    I'll notify you if I get to Amn. Btw, you said "I've been playing so much with the EE where HPs are always on the high side". Is it changed?

@Aasim I don't think it's been changed intentionally, but I'm personally convinced something is not 'right'. From first playing EE I noted that HPs tended to be higher than in BGT games, but since the last update that tendency seems to have increased substantially. I guess I've had something like 60 characters in v2.3 at high enough levels to make a judgement and I don't remember a single one having HPs below the expected average based on their rolls. I have seen a discussion of this on the Forum a while ago, which included someone running a test to confirm the random number generator was working properly and I think that's correct. To me it feels like there's some underlying bias been introduced specific to HPs - similar in concept to the higher HPs given in NWN, though not identical to that.

I understand all the arguments about sample size, perceptual bias etc and don't really want to rehash those - I'm comfortable just making my own judgement on this :blush: . Incidentally, the vast majority of my characters have been solo, so while I'm sure that something is going on with PC HPs, I don't know whether that's the case with NPCs as well.
    @Aasim Regarding the blacksmith
    Re the armour, you will have to wait until you get to Bridgefort where Jegg will make the armour or shield. The armour/shield is free, and there is a choice between armour and a shield. Since my PC was a barbarian, I opted for the shield as he couldn't wear the armour.
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

After playing solo for a while I thought I'd have yet another go with an old party favourite :smile:
    Phantasmic 6 {59} - monks party (update 1)
    Using a BGT + SCS & Ascension setup my initial aim is to fully explore all maps and undertake all encounters in BG1 with the exception of Durlag's Tower. A significant added difficulty with this challenge is that no party deaths are allowed.

Why miss out Durlag's Tower? Yes you will already have hit the experience cap if you have one. Yes, you lose the equipment upon entering Amn, but it is fun. I play it every once in a while just for variety

Grond0 said:

Aasim said:

@Blind_Visionary
    @Grond0

@Aasim I don't think it's been changed intentionally, but I'm personally convinced something is not 'right'. From first playing EE I noted that HPs tended to be higher than in BGT games, but since the last update that tendency seems to have increased substantially. I guess I've had something like 60 characters in v2.3 at high enough levels to make a judgement and I don't remember a single one having HPs below the expected average based on their rolls. I have seen a discussion of this on the Forum a while ago, which included someone running a test to confirm the random number generator was working properly and I think that's correct. To me it feels like there's some underlying bias been introduced specific to HPs - similar in concept to the higher HPs given in NWN, though not identical to that.

I understand all the arguments about sample size, perceptual bias etc and don't really want to rehash those - I'm comfortable just making my own judgement on this :blush: . Incidentally, the vast majority of my characters have been solo, so while I'm sure that something is going on with PC HPs, I don't know whether that's the case with NPCs as well.
    @Grond0
    Tbh, I have that feeling also. I use slightly modified HP tables (1d10 for fighters is 2d5) but I also notice the difference from BGT. Especially Dorn, who doesn't get high CON bonus, still consistently rolls above average. Protagonist's worst roll was 8, other than that he rolls mostly >10.
    In my first run with a swashbuckler, I also witnessed fairly high rolls on both Jaheira and Viconia.
    Glad to know I'm not being paranoid or something. :)
    Gares Bog, 4th SoD update

Rather short, I've met some Bowmasters. My my...those Sword&shield pips really payed off here.
    Minsc and Corvin died before I could blink.

56.jpg 120.4K
    57.jpg 115.4K
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    @Aasim Grond0 and other players may not have experienced certain areas of SoD. It's better to include your screenshots into spoilers.

You can add them [ spoiler] here goes the spoiler [ /spoiler] - delete spaces after [

@Aasim Grond0 and other players may not have experienced certain areas of SoD. It's better to include your screenshots into spoilers.

You can add them [ spoiler] here goes the spoiler [ /spoiler] - delete spaces after [

Will do. I kinda figured this whole thread is one big spoiler, but given SoD isn't played by all I'll use spoiler tags for the whole posts.
    Y'all are brave, or crazy, or both! I took a significantly more timid approach to these encounters.

@Aasim, I am amazed that you didn't see your party wiped there. @semiticgod, I'm having a lot of fun reading your posts from a few months ago. I'm even more shocked that you pulled through that battle. Impressive is an understatement!!
    edited October 2016
    @Aasim, bloodbath indeed! I can't believe you

Attacked the spectral dragon.

That is such an insane thing to do in a blind no-reload!

Here's to Gares Bog's continued survival, even as he walks the razor's edge!