Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,388
    There are a couple of other freedom potions floating around, along with a number of invisibility potions that work fine for those ambushes. A solo character (other than a wizard slayer) can also use the ring of invisibility to avoid them. Alba didn't actually need any of those aids though as she should have gone through the Cloakwood invisible (using Pixie Dust), but I guess I was a bit tired to be starting to play ...

I also used to be able to usually run away from those webs once I had boots of speed, though that was when I was using autopause - enemy in sight (I'm not using that any more which makes reacting to ambushes much more chancy).
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    edited October 2016

@Grond0 So sad. :( Even when I have SCS installed, I leave out that type of spider. I can't cope with them.

Thalantyr only has 3 freedom potions and that doesn't sound like enough considering how often I get ambushed by those spiders. If I were solo and playing SCS with that option, I think I would just have to kill Dushai for her free action ring always, regardless of the RP reasons I that I normally have to not kill her. Potions of magic shielding would work too, but they are super rare in BG 1. Not sure if potion of magic blocking protects or not.

Part of the problem is the -2 penalty to saves that web applies. It would almost impossible for a chapter 4 character to guarantee a save by equipment alone if they don't have mods on their installation. If you were character that could use the spider bane that would work, but that's not easy to get. And the potions that protect against web (available in Chapter 4) would be very few.
    I agree. With the mod set-up that I currently have, I could cope with them as there are extra stores which stock such items. If Grond0 doesn't like killing Dushai for role playing reasons, he could make a minor change to the game with Shadowkeper giving either a ring like Dushai's or some potions of Freedom to an assassin in Candlekeep, or change Silke's staff to have the same anti-web properties as Spider's Bane. Easy in Near Infinity. I like the last option. It makes Silke a bit harder as you cannot use web on her. You have to work for it, and the staff can be used by anyone. It also makes the battles against the spiders challenging as you might not be able to use your weapon of choice. If anyone doesn't know how to perform any of these suggestions, let me know and I can explain the process. I may even make one of these changes in my next installation as I am thinking of not installing the mod that gives those extra stores next time I make a fresh installation.
    I have the CD weaks mod installed and it isn't working! :(
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options: Beta 5
    It should have enabled dual classing of Trusty but it doesn't.
    A real shame as that was the plan ever since the start of the game. I carefully nurtured her to level 7 and now the mod doesn't work.
    It is still in Beta, so I suppose that I can't complain too much.
    I suppose that I should have tested it using Shadowkeeper before I started.
  • DOGDANCINGDOGDANCING Member Posts: 9
    Nice job Corey.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,009
    Nice work Enuhal!
    edited October 2016
    @Wise_Grimwald in vanilla at least, those rats don't actually attack - I know because always surprised when my 4 HP mages with no armor always seem to get it done in melee on that quest...

NOTE: if you are playing with the BG 2 engine, maybe would be dangerous to use range weapons there, since the +4 attack/+4 damage if range weapon equipped might be ugly.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,388
    edited October 2016

P.S. would there have been any danger from the rats if she had become unconcious after her rage ran out?

I don't think the rats do any damage (unless you're playing with LoB). However, if you don't have enough HPs when rage runs out I think you just die rather than go unconscious (unless you have a mod preventing that).

• Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    @CrevsDaak If you don't change your stats or restart the run, you're not likely to play with the care a no-reload would require, I assume... so I vote fix it however you choose. If you care about those extra two points you'd penalize yourself with, then restart the run. Otherwise changing stats seems like a non-issue.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2016
    I need some advice from folks who know SoD.

So I was in Bridgefort, talking to Neera. I gave her a few of the things needed for her potion quest, then told her "good luck finding the rest of the ingredients." I assumed that we would stop talking and that I could come back later and give her more items if I found them. (I didn't want her in my party).

I walk a few steps away. Next thing I know, this screen pops up:

I wasn't in combat. The log at the bottom of the screen doesn't show any attacks or anything. Did Neera disintegrate me? Is there a way you can get insta-killed in the fort by catapults from outside? What happened here? Is it a bug, or is this truly the end of Steinarr?

Steinarr's run is (at the very least) suspended for the time being while I sort this out. Cheers!
    Post edited by Blind_Visionary on
    edited October 2016
    Crevsdaak said...
    Corey_Russell said:
    I think I would just have to kill Dushai for her free action ring always, regardless of the RP reasons I that I normally have to not kill her.

I alway pickpocket her for the ring. Spending a bunch of potions of perception/thievery for an early ring of free action is totally worth it.

On my EasyTutu install, potions do NOT stack (I can't stack potions of thievery or any kind of buffing potion)- therefore cannot reliably pick-pocket Dushai unless I happen to have a bard in my group - which the truth is, I rarely do.

Should mention I mean can't stack potions of the exact same type - I could of course use potions of mind focusing, thievery and perception to try to pick-pocket the ring, and have done this, but it's kind of like russian roulette.
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

P.S. would there have been any danger from the rats if she had become unconcious after her rage ran out?

I don't think the rats do any damage (unless you're playing with LoB). However, if you don't have enough HPs when rage runs out I think you just die rather than go unconscious (unless you have a mod preventing that).

Grond0 said:

That used to be the case, but not any more. I think that EE has changed it. In my last game I was fighting the doppelgangers in Durlag's Tower. They were killed and my character went unconcious went rage ceased. (1HP) I slept and he recovered. I thought that was a brilliant change. If you get ambushed you're dead, but you are given a chance to recover. I think that this is how it was supposed to work but didn't. Now it does.

@Grond0 Oh no! And another one bites the dust!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

In the EE the Barbarian would die after his rage runs out, if she doesn't have enough HP. The Berserker, though, would not die in the EE, as the nature of their rage is different - the Barbarian gets HPs from additional CON, the Berserker gets HP that are "temporary".

If you don't change your stats or restart the run, you're not likely to play with the care a no-reload would require, I assume... so I vote fix it however you choose. If you care about those extra two points you'd penalize yourself with, then restart the run. Otherwise changing stats seems like a non-issue.

I agree.

It looks suspicious. I think you should check in the EE Keeper which variables you had.
    edited October 2016

So I was in Bridgefort, talking to Neera. I gave her a few of the things needed for her potion quest, then told her "good luck finding the rest of the ingredients." I assumed that we would stop talking and that I could come back later and give her more items if I found them. (I didn't want her in my party).

I walk a few steps away. Next thing I know, this screen pops up:

I wasn't in combat. The log at the bottom of the screen doesn't show any attacks or anything. Did Neera disintegrate me? Is there a way you can get insta-killed in the fort by catapults from outside? What happened here? Is it a bug, or is this truly the end of Steinarr?

Steinarr's run is (at the very least) suspended for the time being while I sort this out. Cheers!

There are a number of times that you get insta-death if you make the wrong decision. Sometimes you might even think that you are making the morally right decision and you die. Make sure that you always make the right one. I would say, just don't talk to Neera or be prepared to have her in the party.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @Blind_Visionary

Did you get level drained there? If yes, it might have been that. But I doubt that level-drain thingie in that area (radiation!?) would kill you that quickly. Neera certainly didn't disintegrate you. I'd reload, see if level drain did kill you, if yes, start anew, if no, continue your game.
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 I actually think that they have come up with a good compromise. If there are any enemies left after your rage runs out, you will be so vulnerable, that you will be killed anyway. If there aren't, you get a chance to survive. I understand your position though. At least the effect matches what they say will happen in the rage in-game description. That has to be a plus. I hate it when the description doesn't match the effect.

Ætheling the Erudite Continued

Ætheling proceeded to kill all the hobgoblins around the Friendly Arms Inn and afterwards went north where she killed the zombie who wanted to be too friendly with the woman who was his wife before he died.
    She agreed to help Sonner, but upon talking to Tanya changed her mind and killed the fishermen. Upon killing them she gained a +1 flail and a proficiency point in flails due to reaching level 3. She now has a +1 sling and an adequate number of bullets for ranged combat.
    She then paid a fleeting visit to Cloakwood where she found appropriately enough, a cloak.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    @JuliusBorisov I can see you reaching SoD with no problems.