Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @lunar @Iroumen: Karun definitely does not have the Red Soul kit. I don't even have an actual Red Soul kit; I applied the effects via a custom item. The item imposes a 50% duration penalty via opcode 99 and adds 100% to all forms of non-physical damage using the EE-exclusive opcode 332. My best guess is that Ascension grants Lower Fire Resistance to one of the enemies, and the Planetar failed its save against Lower Fire Resistance twice.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    An on-hit effect you mean or hidden in some spell?
    Melissa short update in SoD.

We venture into the forest of wyrms and encounter some spiders here and there. Nothing too fancy that cannot be killed with fireballs or writting fog. What I did like is that inside a cave on the way out you will encounter a huge rhinobeetle. M'khiin mentions that you can do something with spider eggs, but we just killed it easily (I was trying to figure it out but everything went hostile so I had to let that be).

Some ways uphill we enter a cave where we see a sleeping dragon.

Being not very well prepared we let sleeping dragons lie and retreat for another day. We explore the rest of the forest and fight some hill giants. Now this is one of those moments where Melissa shines with polymorph other, but the best part is that the squirrel is then immediately killed by Corwin and M'khiin. I was amazed by that seemingly well-timed cooperation.
    lroumen said:

An on-hit effect you mean or hidden in some spell?

You mean Lower Fire Resistance? Lower Fire Resistance is an area-effect spell, normally only used by Firkraag. In Tactics and/or Ascension, Fire Giants use it as well. Apparently there are some other enemies that use it, but I'm not sure exactly who. It lowers fire resistance by 50% for 6 rounds on a failed save vs. spell at -3, and stacks. It bypasses magic resistance and spell protections, so only your saving throws can block it.
    edited June 2016
    Yes that one. In improved anvil it is sometimes (for other elements) an on-hit effect even. That is why I was asking. On-hit is blocked with AC or weapon immunity. The spell with saves.

(Edit ac not thac0)
    Post edited by lroumen on
    I forgot: there's one other dragon before Abazigal. It's Fll'Yissetat, another poison dragon with the ugliest-sounding name of all the BG dragons. Once Imoen lowered the dragon's MR with Pierce Shield, this is basically how it went down:

My screenshots for the Balthazar fight are boring, as was the fight itself. We smashed him in the face until he died. Same goes for the Chosen of Cyric fight. What danger are backstabbing thieves when Charname is a Barbarian?

The Ravager was kind of fun. I love its attack line.

Blueberry fails a save against the Ravager's attack and gets knocked unconscious. She gets closer and closer to death, until finally Imoen's clone brings out the Planetar to heal Blueberry. Along the way, Aerie starts blasting the enemy with Horrid Wilting.

All those attacks gave Blueberry some pretty excellent bonuses from Lightning Reflexes.

But in the end, the Ravager fell to our Red Soul, Aerie.

Because I've been choosing rude and evil-sounding dialog options when talking with the Solar, Poppy gets the final evil-aligned Ascension Pocket Plane bonus: an extra 25% resistance to physical damage. When she uses Hardiness, she is completely immune to physical damage.

I still haven't completed Watcher's Keep, but I don't want to go now. The tension is too much. I have to finish this run. There is only one fight left in this run. Melissan.

But she will not be alone. Sendai, Abazigal, Gromnir, Illasera, Yaga-Shura, and Balthazar will all be there to aid her at the same time.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited June 2016

Notice the Fallen Solar to the left. On Insane mode, you fight two such critters. They use +5 arrows that deal nonmagical magic damage, dispel magic as a level 22 caster, remove spell protections, illusionary protections, and specific protections without a save (85% chance), and can land a vorpal strike (15% chance) on a failed save vs. death at -2.

Actually, there are two Fallen Solars even on Core mode. And (iirc, I might be wrong here) on Insane there are a couple of Demons on top of that.

Great run btw! All the best in the final fight!

Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    semiticgod , you are such an inspiration *.*

By the way, I saw that the game actually gives you a lot of informations about spells and so on. Is that a mod in particular?

Like "jon irenicus is casting an evocation spell"

or "the spell will expire in 10 seconds"

and so on.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    Arthas said:

semiticgod , you are such an inspiration *.*

By the way, I saw that the game actually gives you a lot of informations about spells and so on. Is that a mod in particular?

Like "jon irenicus is casting an evocation spell"

or "the spell will expire in 10 seconds"

and so on.

As I've told earlier in this thread this is from Jimfix mod by GrimJim from Bioware forums. Look for it here.
    @Serg_BlackStrider: Odd. I've been playing on Core for the duration. Well, it's a minor skirmish anyway for this party. Maybe I'll crank up the difficulty in a later run, just to see.
    Finally I'm caught up with that run. I have another run, but I won't be posting screenshots because I'm lazy.

The other one is a solo Legacy of Bhaal mode run with an Illusionist/Thief. I actually quit shortly after hitting 6 million XP and have no plans for continuing, as the rest of the game (which would take a very long time) would boil down to (1) waiting for my Planetar to kill everything, (2) using Time Trap and an Enchanted Weapon-boosted Chaos Blade or Mind Flayer form to kill enemies using stat drain, or (3) having Project Image clones cast Improved Alacrity followed by Power Word: Blind on self and a long string of Spike Traps, to deal with enemies I didn't want to kill with stat drain. Without an XP cap and with a max level of 50, it would indeed be possible to memorize enough Spike Traps to kill even SCS dragons in LoB (though just barely).

Our Illusionist/Thief was Viora. Getting her to 6 million XP was quite the chore, but since I finally enabled the full XP bonuses of LoB mode (previously I only enabled bonus XP for kills; not for quests), it made the process a lot faster. Important details of the run:

1. Viora memorized lots of monster summoning spells in Chateau Irenicus--not to fight the enemy, but to distract them. This, combined with a Blindness spell against a mephit, allowed her to sneak away from the enemies. Getting through LoB Chateau Irenicus as a solo character at 89,000 XP is most practical using stealth; the limited rests impose big limits on actually fighting the enemy. I got lucky in the Mephit Portal room, summoning three monsters with Monster Summoning I when I might have only gotten one.

2. Due to having LoB bonuses for quest XP and opening locks and disarming traps, we could gain levels much faster in Athkatla without having to deal with many tough monsters.

3. We relied heavily on summoning spells in Athkatla, but had to nab the Efreeti Bottle in order to have a summons that could help us in the Temple Ruins (the Efreeti uses a magical weapon; ogrillons and kobold summons do not). The Non-Detection spell helped us stay hidden, though Oracle apparently dispels it (without revealing the character, however, much like a Spell Shield for divination magic).

4. Viora only had to make one save vs. spell against a triple Chaos Spell Trigger when she was fleeing from a Temple Ruins lich. SCS mages apparently do not know that putting the same spell in a sequencer or trigger does not force multiple saving throws.

5. I used the Fireball trap trick to kill Rayic Gethras, which I'd never tried before. You repeatedly trigger one of the traps near Ray-Ray, hurling multiple Fireballs at both of you. If you're immune to fire, you can Fireball Ray-Ray to death in safety.

6. Protection from Normal Weapons and Protection from Normal Missiles allowed me to tank the enemies in the slaver compound despite their huge collective APR, giving me enough time to slay them with the spider form attack from Polymorph Self, which deals 18 poison damage per hit over 6 rounds. Protection from Normal Weapons and spider form also helped me take down Pai'Na. Her spiders have the deadliest poison in the game, dealing 150 damage in 30 seconds on normal, or 300 in LoB mode, but are constrained by their poor THAC0 and 1 APR. LoB, of course, doubles that APR and makes them last much, much longer. A Protection from Poison scroll would also have been a good idea, but immunity to normal weapons also works.

7. For the first time ever, I actually used Mislead for something besides stacking bard songs or endless backstabs. I had heard that sending your Mislead clone away from the enemy's field of vision would render enemies unable to target you, but had never tried it before. Apparently it works very well, though it only lasts so long in LoB mode when fights drag on for turns and turns. Now and then I brought my Mislead clone into view so the enemy could try to reveal me. Mislead gave me the attack power I needed to slay enemies immune to the spider form's poison damage, as I could backstab in Flind form. It was also very useful against Mae'Var.

8. Once I got Use Any Item and a Time Trap, I went to snatch the Chaos Blade from Haer'dalis. Rather than fight through the Planar Prison to get the thing, I just killed Haer'dalis himself. I thought I could use the Chaos Blade with UAI because it lacks the "restrict item" opcode, but apparently there's some other hardcoded thing that makes it unavailable. So, I created a custom duplicate that Viora could use, simulating having whatever mod makes NPC-only items usable with UAI in EE.

9. The Chaos Blade let me slay enemies using DEX drain. It was my only way of dealing with enemies who were immune to both poison and backstabs (like golems).

10. I got the Staff of Thunder and Lightning from the druid grove questline and used its lightning bolts via a Vhailor's Helm simulacrum. It was really helpful, until I realized (correctly?) that I shouldn't have gotten that staff, as I killed Faldorn with CTRL-Y to simulate having Cernd do it for me.

11. Time Traps also let me deal tremendous amounts of poison damage without fear of retribution. Each Time Trap would grant about 144 poison damage with Improved Haste active.

12. I used a Protection from Undead scroll to get past the liches of the Temple Ruins (I still nearly died to a Horrid Wilting spell, though) and summoned a Nabassu to weaken the Shade Lord, whom I eventually killed with Pierce Magic, Lower Resistance, and the Wand of Fire I got from Rayic Gethras' place.

13. I used Summon Fiend and Mislead to slay Shadow Thieves until I finally got Summon Planetar, which trashed Aran Linvail and Mencar Pebblecrusher's group.

I never got around to using the blind thief trick, despite having a fun plan for it, because I hit a base save vs. spell of 1 very early, making Viora immune to Blindness. Normally, the blind thief trick is only really viable in a party, because a solo character is starved of information when he or she is blind, but by casting Non-Detection on my cat familiar, I could have a safely invisible Wizard Eye active whenever I wanted.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Your poor cat familiar...the horrors they must have (invisibly) witnessed.
    I just tried to start a new LoB mode run and it failed somehow. None of the enemies had the bonus HP, nor did they give extra XP, even though LoB mode successfully boosted trap and lock XP. I didn't even change any settings from the previous LoB mode run.
    I just tried a poverty run and it was going great until the Planar Sphere. All our party members save our sorcerer and Valygar died against Lavok (I thought Fire Seeds would break through his Stoneskins and wasted a lot of time) and we had to fight the tanar'ri without any Chaotic Commands or Free Action spells to block Death Gaze, or even Improved Invisibility. All we had was Valygar's Barkskin to boost Charname's save vs. death.

I had a solid strategy: I would use Valygar as a tank to absorb Death Gaze and lure the demon over to the bridge leading to the sphere, where some very precisely placed Skull Traps (6 of them; I didn't rest to get more) would soften him up for further Skull Traps and Cone of Cold spells. But the demon survived while Valygar perished, and the demon managed to get in a Death Gaze. Charname failed her save and her Mirror Image spells and Stoneskins weren't enough to keep her alive. A pre-cast PFMW spell would have worked wonders.

I'd like to do another poverty run, but this one was very specially designed. I had a caster-based party, taking advantage of the fact that NPCs come with higher-level spells already scribed (Jan has Project Image; Edwin has Power Word: Blind). This allowed me to have lots of arcane magic without needing scrolls, though it meant Edwin had no Stoneskin and neither he nor Jan had Spell Immunity (and none of the NPCs get PFMW). I even had big plans for ToB: Jan could give us potions with Alchemy and could lay Spike Traps mid-combat thanks to Edwin's PW: Blind, Jaheira could tank in Earth Elemental form with Hardiness for 90% damage resistance, and if we got Nalia in ToB instead of SoA, she'd have lots of high-level spells already scribed.

I might continue it as a minimal reload run, but it's very sad that it couldn't go on as a no-reload (I don't have the patience to restart). I was having a lot of fun with those characters. Losing spell picks forced me to rely on a more limited selection of spells.
    I died once again in the minimal reload poverty run, slain by a surprise Prismatic Spray from Gaius (I assumed it was a summoning spell and didn't find it necessary to run away). I don't think I'll continue anymore.

Our Charname was a sorcerer named Espellier, though I didn't much like the idea of a sorcerer in a poverty run (it's the standard character for such a run). Nothing too unusual about her spell picks, aside from picking up Cone of Cold as my second level 5 spell. Now that Sunfire doesn't bypass MR in EE, it's not necessarily the best damage spell, and loot destruction from cold damage is irrelevant in poverty runs. Plus, few SCS mages come buffed against cold damage.

Without weapons, Polymorph Self was one of the few means of dealing damage to opponents with spell protections and MR. The spider form's natural attack poisons the target without a save (18 damage over 36 seconds), and was crucial to our success on multiple occasions. Against normal enemies, Web and Skull Trap were enough to disable and destroy them. Against mages with MGOI, we had to use Greater Malison, Chaos, Cone of Cold, and spider form. Against mages with PFMW, we had no real offensive options, and had to wait out their buffs instead.

We were extremely vulnerable throughout the run. Without items to boost our AC and saves, we had to rely on Improved Invisibility and similar spells to stay afloat. Without any healing potions until Jan gathered enough XP to use Alchemy, we had almost no safeguards against bad luck, and Mass Cure (the only healing spell that could bypass our invisibility and spell protections) took up the same spell slots as Chaotic Commands, Insect Plague, Ironskins, and Greater Command.

Our options were extremely limited in general. Putting aside the lack of weapons and potions and armor and everything else, Edwin, Aerie, and Jan are all void of any magic attacks. No Spell Thrust, Secret Word, Breach, Pierce Magic, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Warding Whip, or Pierce Shield. Aerie was the only one with Spell Immunity, so our buffs were always vulnerable to Remove Magic.

I'm sure it's feasible to do a no-reload SCS poverty run using NPC mages, but it vastly weakens the party, as NPC mages don't get the best spell picks for SCS (namely, Spell Immunity, PFMW, debuffers, and almost all high-level spells).

Nitty-gritty details of the run:

1. I used Minsc and his stealth to activate the Sewage Golem, saving us lots of HP from fighting through Duergar. He was able to hide around a corner before getting killed by the Mineral Mephit nearby, but we didn't really need him to begin with. He went on to take down one of the Duergar in the corridor north of the Otyugh room before getting himself killed (without any items, he's got 9 AC, after all).
    2. We ignored Ilyich and instead moved on to the Mephit Portal room. Yoshimo's traps all failed, so we used him as a decoy while Jaheira and a summoned Worg from Imoen destroyed the Mephit Portals. We snuck through the rest of the dungeon.
    3. We ditched Yoshimo and picked up Aerie and Jan. Espellier's Webs disabled most of the enemies while Jan poisoned Suna Seni in spider form and Jaheira zapped her with Call Lightning.
    4. Once Jaheira hit level 9, I raised Minsc from the dead and booted him from the party. As usual, I killed Prebek and Sanasha with spider form. I also used Insect Plague, as PB and Sasha are one of the few SCS mages that never buff with Fire Shields. After Xzar's quest, Jaheira's questline triggered and we had to visit the Harper Hold. But we weren't prepared for a fight with Galvarey, so we entered while invisible and fled the place after the dialogue, before the fight could begin.
    5. To complete Mae'Var's questline, we had to deal with Rayic Gethras and also enter the Sea's Bounty Tavern. I re-used the Fireball trap trick on Ray-Ray (Espellier had the Protection from Fire spell to buff the party, though this was mostly for Comets and Dragon's Breath spells) and killed Jaheira before entering the tavern to avoid triggering the Baron Ployer questline, which is an irritating mess.
    6. After getting Edwin, we tackled Mae'Var. Edwin nearly got slain by backstabs due to not having Stoneskin (a major weakness due to our lack of items, including scrolls), while Jan died to backstabs despite having Stoneskin due to poor luck. Mavis failed a save against Chaos and lost his spells for a few rounds before succumbing to Edwin's poison (Edwin also comes with Polymorph Self in his spellbook).
    7. With both Jan and Jaheira dead and Aerie still at cleric level 8, we couldn't raise any of our party members and had to gather XP with only three characters. We used Animate Dead, Skull Trap, Spiritual Weapon, and Magic Missile to fight our way through the Temple Ruins, though Espellier nearly died to a Shadow Fiend before Aerie rescued her from paralysis with Free Action. We also had to flee from a Bone Golem twice when we lacked the physical damage output to handle them.
    8. We disabled the Shade Lord and his cronies with Web and blasted them all with Skull Trap, using Aerie, under the effects of MGOI, as our tank. We slew the Shade Lord himself with Spiritual Weapon, Minute Meteors, and Edwin's Fireballs while he was webbed.
    9. Aerie hit level 9 and raised both Jan and Jaheira. Jaheira told us to return to the Harper Hold, since we apparently do need to kill Galvarey. I bent the rules of the poverty run and spent 5000 gold to buy a magic license to give us a few extra rounds of buff duration before the fight with Galvarey (otherwise we'd have to buff at Ray-Ray's house and run over to the Harper Hold, costing us several seconds). We disabled some of the Harpers with Chaos, poisoned both mages, blasted a Kensai and a thief with Cone of Cold, and then failed three saves against Chaos, leaving only Jan and Edwin still functioning. While both sides were confused, Edwin killed the Kensai with a Flame Arrow and Jan kept poisoning the enemy mages while Edwin tacked on spell damage to Galvarey and the other fighters.
    10. We killed Amalas and the Copper Coronet slavers using Cone of Cold and Fireball, but failed to bring down the Trolls in the Druid Grove with the same strategy. Webs and Skull Trap were enough to kill the druids, however, and let us complete the Trademeet questline.
    11. When we got back to Trademeet, however, Reviane and the other Harpers ambushed us. We turned invisible and ran. Reviane sees through invisibility, but her followers cannot, so invisibility let us kill Reviane with spell damage as we fled. We could then fight her allies when their buffs had worn off.
    12. Espellier nearly died to a critical hit from a Watcher's Keep Troll, but slipped away at the last moment. The last bit of XP brought Edwin to level 12, allowing him to wipe out the De'Arnise Hold Trolls with Death Spell. We stopped short of killing TorGal, as I wasn't sure if we could handle him.
    13. Moving on to the Windspear Hills, we walked around the trigger for the vampire spawns and killed Samia et al with Web and Chain Lightning. Without any weapons, we had to use Greater Malison and Hold Monster to kill the Greater Wolfweres over multiple rests, as otherwise their regeneration was too strong to overcome. Conster died to Jan's traps, which was a tad disappointing. Naturally, we left Firkraag well alone.
    14. I accidentally entered the Graveyard District without killing Edwin. The moment we entered the area, he asked us to grab the Nether scroll. I don't know if he leaves the party if you put it off forever, so I had to fight Nevaziah. To overcome Nevaziah's numerous damage spells, I brought Korgan into the party, buffed him with Protection from Fire, and used him as a tank to absorb some of the lich's spells, alongside some cheap summons. Despite a Heal from Jaheira and no Remove Magic from Nevaziah to render him vulnerable to Incendiary Cloud, Korgan still couldn't survive the lich's spells, because I accidentally tried to use Enrage while Korgan was fatigued. The net result? Korgan failed a save against Dragon Fear and couldn't run away to our Nymphs for a Mass Cure to save his life. Once Nevaziah's spells finally ran out, we just had to whomp on him until he expired. Getting close to him imposes cumulative THAC0 penalties, so you need critical hits unless you have very tough fighters in the group.
    15. I added Valygar to the group and entered the Planar Sphere. We killed Mogadish with a scorcher loop and some Magic Missiles (Aerie and Edwin both come with Minor Spell Turning, and Espellier provided the Agannazar's Scorcher and Protection from Fire spells), while Kayardi failed a save against Hold Monster.
    16. Lavok was much tougher. Espellier's Cone of Cold spells disrupted some of Lavok's spells, but they quickly ran out. We baited him with summons, but those ran low as well. Finally, we broke out some Fire Seeds we had been saving (everyone in the party had 20; they persist after the duration if you drop them on the ground) and attacked Lavok, but failed to do any damage due to his immunity to fire. We might have broken through his Stoneskin, but Fire Seeds don't do any physical damage, which means we couldn't deal any real damage to disrupt his spells. Lavok killed Aerie with Horrid Wilting, Jan with Sphere of Chaos, Edwin with another Horrid Wilting, and Jaheira with Flame Arrow. Only after all that did his weapon immunity buffs run out. Espellier could then slay him with Minute Meteors.
    17. Without either Jaheira or Aerie, we couldn't cast Harper's Call or Raise Dead. We'd have to complete the quest with Espellier and Valygar alone. The only thing we could do to block the Tanar'ri's Death Gaze was Barkskin to improve our saves vs. death, and our only means of killing the demon were Skull Traps and Cones of Cold. I tried to lure the demon into a set of 6 Skull Traps, but it survived them and paralyzed Espellier. It killed her right before Death Gaze expired. PFMW could have saved her, but I didn't think to cast it.
    18. The next time around, I laid even more Skull Traps out, but it still didn't kill the Tanar'ri, and Espellier failed another save against Death Gaze. Finally I discovered that the bridge to the sphere was a convenient choke point. I lured the demon in and hurled Skull Traps and Cones of Cold at it. It successfully paralyzed Espellier several times, but could not get close enough to hit her. The demon expired right before Espellier ran out of spells. She cast Invisibility and walked right past Tolgerias and all the other enemies of the area, activating the sphere's engine alone.
    19. To get back our party members without using a temple, we had to boot Valygar from the party and recruit Viconia to raise everybody instead. We finally took down the Shadow Thieves using Chaos and damage spells, and Aran Linvail himself failed a save against Hold Monster.
    20. We were making excellent progress against Draug Fea et al when Espellier failed a save against Prismatic Spray. I decided to call it quits.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Ok, after an infinite number of undocumented starts both in BG1 and BG2, after several diversions with other games, "the no-reload Baldur's Gate gods" inside me called and I answered. The idea of a new run is based on 4 things:

1) first and foremost, I have never completed a trilogy no-reload run;
    2) I've got so used to multiclass combinations that nearly have forgotten how singleclass feel in-game;
    3) In all my runs I've never skipped resurrection of companions, so that closer to mid BG1, the number of resurrections has always hit 10 or 15 times, too much to my taste;
    4) SoD... the time has come to try no-reloading it.

The 5th secret reason - it's time to support semiticgod's efforts in this thread).

One additional factor - I would like to see how a nerfed version of an Assassin post 2.0 feels in-game.

Basing my intents on these factors, I've given a go to a trilogy no-reload run with 5 generated party members and 1 slot for NPCs. A death for a generated party member will mean a need to create the character anew, without experience (@semiticgod style). A death for an NPC will mean a need to get a new NPC (with the preference for singleclass NPCs).

The WeiDU log (no improved shapeshifting but pre-battle casting is enabled, at least in BG1):

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4130 // Move NPCs to more convenient locations: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5050 // Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6102 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v30
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Avatar Morphing Script: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Commoners Use Drab Colors: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #182 // Unique Containers -> Unique icons and names: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #190 // Use Character Colors Instead of Item Colors -> For all shields and helmets: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2360 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Single Classes: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2380 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Kits: Beta 4
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Items (Icelus): Beta 4

Meet the crew (non min-maxed):

Mortuus, an elf sorcerer (12-14-16-18-16)
    Woden, a dwarven defender (18/89-15-19-12-9-7)
    Uzume, a halfling priest of Tyr (10-19-10-16-18-14)
    Karasu no Yoru, an elf assassin (14-19-12-14-9-16)
    Yahiko, a half-elf totemic druid (yes, Yahiko!) (13-9-13-12-18-15)

We breezed through Candlekeep.

Upon arriving to Beregost, we dealt with Karlat.

Helping Viconia brought an armour for out tank.

After that we helped Neera to defeat a bunch of thayan mercenaries. Their wizard failed his saving throw against Command which basically granted a victory to us.

Neera will use only wands (there're plenty of them in BG1) and Identify spell - no risks taken in a no-reload game.

We found Whistling sword for our thief to improve his backstabs.

Poison from our assassin blocked first Bassilus' castings, then we managed to command and blind him. He didn't resist long.

The first level up became available - Karasu got 4/6 hps.

Melicamp was lucky this time and survived the Antichickenator spell, which brought the second level up - Uzume got 4/8 hps.

Upon reporting to Kelddath Ormlyr about Bassilus, Yahiko and Woden reached their second levels (6/8 and 12/17 hps respectively).

With the generous reward from Kelddath Ormlyr, we bought our first solid equipment - a full plate, a short bow +1, a sling +1 and 10 arrows of Biting.

Time came to visit the Friendly Arm Inn. A fetishist ogre was taken down thanks to Command and Blindness.

As soon as Tarnesh finished talking, Uzume began casting Command, while Yahiko called to summon a spirit snake.

Tarnesh failed his saving throw against Command, and then the poison by Karasu finished his life.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited July 2016
    Mortuus, the Elven Sorcerer (2nd BG1 update)

We dealt with hobgoblins who had stolen the Joia's ring. One of hobgoblins carried a rare bolt (bolt of polymorphing), more precious than the ring.

Then we cleared the Landrin's house in Beregost from spiders. Karasu got the 3rd level (5/6 hps) and Mortuus also got an upgrade (4/6 hps).

As you see, I didn't want to follow the general basilisk route to gather XP. Instead, I concentrated on areas related to those the party had visited because of the quests gained.

For the next step, we defeated the half-ogres as Bjornin had asked us. Uzume reached the 3rd level (7/8 hps).

When we reached Nashkel and wanted to rest in a tavern, we had to fight an assassin instead. Neira couldn't save against Command, then Mortuus blinded her, and even held Woden was not in danger after that.

We visited Nashkel carnival, and in one of tents a thief managed to pickpocket us. We were fast enough not to let him disappear without consequencies.

In another tent, we found a male mage threatening to a woman wizard. We insulted him to save the woman and dispatched the tyrant. Silence from Uzume helped here to stop any casting of this mage.

Neera levelled up, getting 4/4 hps.

When we travelled to the Nashkel Mines, we were ambushed by a bunch of bandits. Two of them nearly ended this run prematurely, as Mortuus was hit at 9 of his overall 10 hps.

Still, the sorcerer survived, and the bandits paid their price.

Not far away from the Mines entrance, we decided to help a local skulptor, Prism, and protected him from a bounty hunter. Greywolf failed his saving throw against Spook, and then Uzume managed to Command him. Later he was blinded and poisoned.

Prism was very grateful to us but unfortunately died from exhaustion. Because of the reward, Yahiko and Woden reached the 3rd level (getting 5/8 and 17/17 hps respectively). Although Woden is a dwarven defender, he will still specialize in flails taking SoA in mind.

With a full-plate and a large shield +1 Woden was an excellent tank against hordes of kobolds in the mines (even with his 15 DEX). He activated Defensive Stance when surrounded by enemies.

The fight against Mulahey started as usual, but the half-orc resisted against Blindness and Command. Neera used Necklace of Missiles against arriving kobolds and skeletons. After that she even managed to interrupt Mulahey's casting. At last, Mulahey didn't save against Command and asked for surrender. We refused, and the fight resumed. Mulahey saved against Hold Person, while kobolds didn't. After several attempts, Mortuus blinded the half-orc, then Karasu poisoned him, and the battle was won.