Skip to content

Lets talk weapons... As this is an enhanced edition we need enhanced weapons...

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Smiling_imp

Javelin

Javelin's are a light spear designed to be thrown. Possibly even older than spears, these sharpened lengths of wood are usually hurled one handed, meaning it is possible to hold a shield at the same time.

Speed factor 6
    Damage 1-6
    Wieght 4

Strength req. 16

Kept stats to spears (because that's what they are essentially, throwing spears!) The strength req. should allow fighter classese from being able to use it... but not denying dart throwers as it is the same skill...

Thoughts?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    That makes a lot of sense and makes me think that perhaps thrown axes, hammers, darts and spears would all fit in the same proficiency, with different strength requirements. They would appear to all have more in common with the skills of throwing, than the the use of their respective weapon types, as far as I can tell.
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2012
    Anduin said:

@Smiling_imp

Javelin

Javelin's are a light spear designed to be thrown. Possibly even older than spears, these sharpened lengths of wood are usually hurled one handed, meaning it is possible to hold a shield at the same time.

Speed factor 6
    Damage 1-6
    Wieght 4

Strength req. 16

Kept stats to spears (because that's what they are essentially, throwing spears!) The strength req. should allow fighter classese from being able to use it... but not denying dart throwers as it is the same skill...

Thoughts?

Nice. I was thinking that the more powerful magical versions could act as shield destroyers, as javelins would weigh down shields, rendering them ineffective in battle.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    javelins would require new animations so they're out i suppose

how about more returning throwing daggers?

a relatively wide range of +1 to +5 ones scattered throughout the games would be neat.
    many limited to thieves only, say.
    edited October 2012
    @bob_veng

I would use a crossbow animation... But creating an elongated line basically, should be not that difficult to implement (I am not sure, creating a line could be ruddy difficult!)
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    why would you use a crossbow animation?
    @bob_veng Squint a bit and it looks like a javlin!
    Anduin said:

@bob_veng Squint a bit and it looks like a javlin!

That's my kind of graphical enhancement!

• Azchar111Azchar111 Member Posts: 27

Anduin said:

@Smiling_imp

Javelin

Speed factor 6
    Damage 1-6
    Wieght 4

Strength req. 16

Thoughts?

Nice. I was thinking that the more powerful magical versions could act as shield destroyers, as javelins would weigh down shields, rendering them ineffective in battle.

I think the Romans called those Pilum - they were made with softer metal so they would bend after sticking into a shield to help drag it down.
    edited October 2012
    Azchar111 said:

Anduin said:

@Smiling_imp

Javelin

Speed factor 6
    Damage 1-6
    Wieght 4

Strength req. 16

Thoughts?

I think the Romans called those Pilum - they were made with softer metal so they would bend after sticking into a shield to help drag it down.
    My error ridden schoolboy history yet again, but I think the softer metal behind the head of the pilum merely rendered it useless to the other side, as it would bend on impact.
    @Azchar111 @Moomintroll Both are correct!

Getting Javelins... Basically big darts implemented in the game is one thing. Having them become shield removers, or AC lowerers would make them very useful indeed... I think stacks would need to be kept at a max of 5. This is complete conjecture as we do not know if anyone out there is seriously going to take this body of work on...

We dont need a rocker... WE NEED A MODDER!

*Anduin, jumps on moped and quadrephenias into the sunset listenning to Madnesses Baggy Trousers...*
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Frankly, they should go for an organized effort when making more enhance weapons. Make a long list listing each weapon type (flails, small swords, etc.) and make 5-10 new enhanced weapons for each weapon type. This way each weapon type is granted equal attention in terms of powerful items and one weapon type has not received more attention than the other.

I would also like to see some "legendary weapons" that have some really cool effects like 1d6 acid, fire, and cold damage all at once. Feels really good when you find these weapons in some deep dark dungeon full with the denizens of the nine hells.
    Anduin said:

@Azchar111 @Moomintroll Both are correct!

Getting Javelins... Basically big darts implemented in the game is one thing. Having them become shield removers, or AC lowerers would make them very useful indeed... I think stacks would need to be kept at a max of 5. This is complete conjecture as we do not know if anyone out there is seriously going to take this body of work on...

We dont need a rocker... WE NEED A MODDER!

*Anduin, jumps on moped and quadrephenias into the sunset listenning to Madnesses Baggy Trousers...*

Lol! I do some modding for BG2 Soa & ToB. Making such an item on the DLTCEP would be a cinch, but I'm not sure if any of the old Infinity Engine tools will work with EE. That is kinda why I am here. I assumed that all the old mods would be compatible with the new version, but learned that wasn't the case and that dedicated modders are putting in hard work to try and make it so.

Anyways, if the old BG .itm files will work in EE, then I could make the item and submit it where it belongs.

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I wish to see one of drow pistol-crossbows... Maybe you would be able to use buckler with it, but it would be quite weak.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ward said:

+23 Herring of Woodcutting

It can't be done!

I LOL'ed at this
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Helmet of Politicking Peace

- Completely blocks its wearer from the audio or imagery of Political Ads, Facebook Memes, Bumper Stickers, and Biased Family Members.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    xLegionx said:

Frankly, they should go for an organized effort when making more enhance weapons. Make a long list listing each weapon type (flails, small swords, etc.) and make 5-10 new enhanced weapons for each weapon type. This way each weapon type is granted equal attention in terms of powerful items and one weapon type has not received more attention than the other.

I would also like to see some "legendary weapons" that have some really cool effects like 1d6 acid, fire, and cold damage all at once. Feels really good when you find these weapons in some deep dark dungeon full with the denizens of the nine hells.

That first one sounds like a ton of work for the Devs. And the second... May I introduce you to the Flail of Ages sometime?
    @Smiling_Imp A modder! Glad to here that the ideas on this thread are creatable... Albeit on the old BG. Perhaps we could get a mod out... A bit like Sorcourous item pack, we could call it BG Forums item pack, after BG:EE comes out :P Although there may be items already provided in the game that could make items here redundant... Need a playthrough first and make considerations. Cursed items could be allowed through immediatley :P
    Anduin said:

@Smiling_Imp A modder! Glad to here that the ideas on this thread are creatable... Albeit on the old BG. Perhaps we could get a mod out... A bit like Sorcourous item pack, we could call it BG Forums item pack, after BG:EE comes out :P Although there may be items already provided in the game that could make items here redundant... Need a playthrough first and make considerations. Cursed items could be allowed through immediatley :P

Hmm, I like the idea of a community created weapon pack. It would give a good number of people the chance to do something creative and to work together on something. Once we actually get a chance to play BG:EE and see what additions we would like, I'd like to get pencil to paper.. or finger to keyboard as it were, to see which of them are possible to implement.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Expendable throwing hammers, like in IWD (magical and non-magical), and returning magical ones, like the Dwarven Thrower in BG2. Kagain and Yeslick deserve them!
    Boots of butt kicking for goodness

A phrase was once heard by a lowly shoemaker when his shop was being looted by trolls. He was saved by a bald ranger and his hamster. The shoemaker fell in love with the man and made these boots in his honour, using the finest materials. The ranger however had already moved on...

+ 1 to THACO
  • RoyceGriffinRoyceGriffin Member Posts: 1
    Maybe a sword that buffs single weapon style maybe a bastard sword that adds +1 to THAC0 or another attack per round as long as off hand is empty?
    Me like...

The sword of jealousy

This sword appears like any other. However when place near other blades and weapons it will twitch and jerk. When used in combat it will guide the users hand to block and attack the enemies weapon or shield.

+1 THACO 10% chance of destroying an attackers weapon or shield (only works on non-magical weapons)

Special: when used with another melee weapon or shield in the dual slot THACO will be reduced by 5 as blade attempts to attack this nearer blade. 10% chance of destroying own blade / shield. (only works on non-magical weapons)
  • FishFish Member Posts: 38
    Bjornin's Sword of Lesson
    Long Sword +1 to hit and damage
    Useable by: Paladin
    Weight: 20lb
    Requires 18 Str

As a boy, Bjornin dreamed of becoming a paladin. In spite of his passionate heart to be a champion of justice, his physical strength prevented him from being accepted as a squire. In dismay, the youth went to Taerom Fuiruim, the renowned smithy of Beregost and begged for a weapon that would prove he was worthy of being a paladin squire. Taerom, taking compassion on the boy promised he would create a suitable sword if young Bjornin would serve as his apprentice for a year. After a year of diligence service, Taerom kept to his word and presented Bjornin with his finely crafted, new sword. The young man's excitement was replaced with dismay as he found he could barely lift the long sword. Taerom, fond of his apprentice promised to reveal the secret of it's use if Bjornin would serve a second year as apprentice hammering at the anvil. After another four seasons, Taerom instructed the now sinewy young man to lift the weapon. Bjornin found the sword much lighter than he remembered. Taerom smiled and remarked, "You are now stronger than any other squire in the order. I don't think you need that sword any longer..."
    @Fish

Cool, back story. Very nice! I would give it an elemental damage (small! underpowered is the key to BG1 weapon!) to make it subtly different to a normal +1 longsword. (I think there is a thread where they discussed removing descriptions from plain +1 weapons) What would you choose for elemental damage?
  • FishFish Member Posts: 38
    @Anduin I might add stunning opponent for 1 round on critical hit (save negates.)
    Anyone feel that some weapon types have been neglected in BG:EE so far?

I think we need a few more daggers...
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    Dart+5 - The Interrupter *CURSED*
    A wandering mage from a parallel plane discovered a wild surge during his adventures through the vast cosmos. He battled many a caster, conquering their powerful spells and learning their hidden magic. His accumulated power had come from nothing but a clever weapon of annoyance- knowing the magician's strongest weapon is his mind, the wandering mage crafted a weapon that poured seemingly endless bolts of the simplest spell - magic missile.

Unfortunately, with his exploitation of the realm of magic, the mage had become weak in body by the time he ventured into the Sword Coast. His combat abilities could not weather the bodies of Sword Coast's weakest fighters, nor was he dextrous enough to evade the arrows of novice archers. In the end, magic did not triumph over might.

Does Not Require Ammunition
    Casts Magic Missile at the 9th level (1 Charge(s)/Day)
    THAC0 +20
    1D3-2
    +1 Attack/Round
    Strength: Set to 6
    Dexterity: Set to 6
    *CURSED*
    This item cannot be removed except by the magic spell Remove Curse.

Weight: 1 lbs
    Useable by:
    Mage
    Sorceror

Notes: Best used against casters, meant as an interrupt weapon. Twice per round, this weapon deals negligible damage and under normal THAC0 circumstances cannot miss. Ammunition animation would be a magic missile. Charge ability to destroy Mirror Image.
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    Dagger +2 - 'Alanis' Critical Point' *CURSED*
    "As crazy as he is, I learned a thing or two from Minsc the Berserker, shouting to his hamster in the distance... 'Go for the eyes!' There is a thing or two to be learned from the clerics who heal without magic. 'Surgery,' they called it. From the shadows, I learned all of the critical points on the body. Those, when preserved, would render a man immortal... and those, when pierced, would render even a God dead. What's more, to sweeten the deal, any bloody wound festering with venom is a wound most welcome for my hasty escape! If only I covered up this cut earlier...."

This appears to be torn from a journal, kept by one Alanis Shadow Dancer.

THAC0: +2, +5 when backstabbing.
    Damage: 1D4+2, +5 when backstabbing. +2 Poison damage (successful save vs. poison: neg)
    May critically hit on a natural roll of 19 or 20.
    May critically hit with a natural roll of 18 or higher when backstabbing.

The Wielder receives 1 poison damage on every successful hit or 2 poison damage on a successful backstab. There is no saving throw.

*CURSED*
    This item cannot be removed except by the magic spell Remove Curse.

Weight: 1lbs
    Not useable by:
    Wizard Slayer
    @Druysc Good ideas! Maybe a little too powerful as I would still use them and put up with the consequences...