Skip to content

Hot Dogs and Umber Bulks

So I chopped up 4 doggies, and made them into a yummy stew; but them big bulky umber colored things don't seem particularly interested in it. I suspect I'm going to end up killing the pesky things, using the time tested divide and conquer method, since there doesn't appear to be any time limit on how long you can goof around in the Keep. Still, I am curious why they aren't digging in.

Oh yeah; and who decided that they liked cooked food? I'd never have guessed you had to cook the damned dog steaks. You rarely see them stopping to cook their prey in the wild. What? Umber Hulks have barbecues at home when no one is looking?

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    You have to sneak the stew into a specific location. And getting to that location is extremely difficult to accomplish. So I've always just took them on and killed them, rather than bothering to place the stew. It's a tough battle, but doable.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In case you missed it (I can't tell from your post), you need to place the stew in a container in the prison to the southwest of the Umber Hulks. Once you do, they'll hurry over to get it, isolating them in the prison and allowing you to avoid the fight. All they do is move away; nothing else is supposed to happen. If you put the stew in the container, and they still don't move, then I'm not sure what's wrong.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    FrdNwsm said:

umber colored things

They're green.
    Belanos said:

getting to that location is extremely difficult to accomplish

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a really short walk down a hallway with no traps or doors or anything. And you get a bunch of experience for dropping the stew there.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Umber Hulks can be a bit tricky until you get plenty of Chaotic Commands, but Cloud Kill works beautifully against them, not bad returns for a single lv5 spell.

@joluv I wouldn't say it's "hard" getting past the Umber Hulks and into the prison, you just need somebody invisible or capable of stealth, but it can go wrong as dropping off the food un-stealths the thief, and the Umbers come the same way you did, so he could be in trouble. I usually pack a Potion of Invisibility if my thief cannot reliably go invisible before the beasts arrive.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    >>They're green.<<

They appear greenish in color in this BG2 scenario; everywhere else they are depicted in shades of brown. Hence the name: UMBER hulk.

http://www.umberhulk.com/
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Can't you poison the stew?
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2015
    1st level priest spell sanctuary does work just as well.
    Oh yeah; and who decided that they liked cooked food?
    The first person you talk to inside the castle tells you that umber hulks are housed in the basement, and that they are fond of cooked dogmeat.
    and the Umbers come the same way you did
    Actually, the corridor with the prison cells is u-shaped, with two doors to the central room - plant the stew, and quickly step around the corner.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    You get XP for placing the dog stew first as well.
    Nothing stopping you from blasting a cloud kill at the area once the hulks are there to finish them off.
    I sort of did the same thing, but in stages. I killed off all but two of the UHs, then did the dogfood thing and got that experience, then later on the two UH's came into sight and I killed them.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Heindrich said:

I wouldn't say it's "hard" getting past the Umber Hulks and into the prison, you just need somebody invisible or capable of stealth, but it can go wrong as dropping off the food un-stealths the thief, and the Umbers come the same way you did, so he could be in trouble.

Yes, that's what I meant. The few times I've tried to deposit the food. the person placing it ended up getting ambushed by several angry Umber Hulks. So I finally gave up on the idea and just attacked them on sight.

Aside from using the U-shaped corridor like @ambrennan mentioned, most parties have someone who can reliably sneak by that point. At level 9, only Fighters, Barbarians, and Inquisitors have no built-in or learned way of hiding. I guess if you have an all-warrior party, then just killing stuff makes RP sense. Maybe I'm just a naturally sneaky person.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Green? Are you people colorblind?! They are clearly blue!

Just chug a potion of invisibility. There are plenty of those lying around...
    >> I guess if you have an all-warrior party, then just killing stuff makes RP sense. Maybe I'm just a naturally sneaky person.<<

Unless you are running an evil party, killing them off makes a lot of sense RP wise. If you leave them alone, once they finish off the dog meat and get hungry again, they are going to go looking for a snack. With the Keep now being repopulated, they will probably end up chowing down on some servants.
    Oh, I almost always kill them; I just distract them with stew first.
    No, they're white and gold.
    We should judge others not by the color of their chitin, but the content of their carapace.
    Oops. I found the original, and it turns out I was wrong.
    @joluv: 200,000 years of evolution and this is what we have produced.
    Heh
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited December 2016

In case you missed it (I can't tell from your post), you need to place the stew in a container in the prison to the southwest of the Umber Hulks. Once you do, they'll hurry over to get it, isolating them in the prison and allowing you to avoid the fight. All they do is move away; nothing else is supposed to happen. If you put the stew in the container, and they still don't move, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

I tried this trick for the first time and... nothing happend. They ignored the tasty dogs and just stayed where they were.

Cloud Kill it is...