Skip to content

What location, from your point of view, would be the best setting for the Elder Scrolls VI?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
The official news about "The Elder Scrolls VI" remains scarce. Yet there's a rumour that Bethesda will make an announcement of this game during E3 2015 in June (some people think they will announce Fallout 4, other people count on the Elder Scrolls VI, the rest think that both these projects will be announced; of course, some people are not sure on either project).

Anyway, it's interesting to hear opinions on a preferable, from your point of view, location for the Elder Scrolls VI, no matter when it's actually released.

For a long time, Argonia was the land that many felt the developers would take the next installment to. But there are still plenty of lands left within the Elder Scrolls world that can be explored, and they are not only in Tamriel.

1. What location, from your point of view, would be the best setting for the Elder Scrolls VI?52 votes
    1. Argonia (Black Marsh)
      15.38%
    2. Elsweyr
      15.38%
    3. Valenwood
      17.31%
    4. Hammerfell
      11.54%
    5. High Rock
        3.85%
    6. Summerset Isles
        1.92%
    7. Akavir
        5.77%
    8. Atmora
        1.92%
    9. Another location (which one?)
      11.54%
    10. Not interested
      15.38%

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited April 2015
    Where is that map from and why does it depict Yokuda as some kind of massive continent, when it was completely destroyed into tiny splinters (and as far as I know there was nothing hinting it was a big place to begin with either)?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Akavir has two points that makes it interesting for me:
    - there are no Humans.
    - there are no Elves.

A setting with *only* the native beast races there as corner stone of the story would be magnificient. Needless to say said native beast races should be the only playable races present, as any other race would make no sense in this continent.

Alternatively, Argonia also does pique my interest. After all it has been described as even more alien than Morrowind. And one can have never enough reptiles in a game!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    If I remember correctly, Elsweyr is a desert region and home to the kitties.

I wanna play as a kitty in the desert! o.o
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Argonia, though I did not like Skyrim. Morrowind remains one of the great RPGs, Oblivion is underrated simply because it is too generic of a setting, but the actual game is fairly good.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Wow is that map canon/accurate? I didn't know Yokuda was so huge!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Trash can.

Seriously, it doesnt matter since they have carte Blanche to make any area anything they like.

It will also be a Skyrim clone with better graphics for the new consoles and no new ground breaking game play or mechanics.
    Heindrich said:

Unless it's from something so new I haven't heard about it, it shouldn't be. It was destroyed, after all.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Any location that has a proper stat system and customisable spells.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Talking cat people land, or one of the other places dominated by one of the 'weird' races. Don't know the lore too well. And I loved Skyrim.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    scriver said:

Where is that map from and why does it depict Yokuda as some kind of massive continent, when it was completely destroyed into tiny splinters (and as far as I know there was nothing hinting it was a big place to begin with either)?

@scriver Note the blue islands in the continent labeled 'Extant', that means it's the remainder of the continent. Blue Yokuda is what exists now, green Yokuda(s) are the parts that sank.
    Heindrich said:

@Heindrich This map is a result of a long work by a TES fan. The final version that is in the OP, was first posted here: http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/1tm3eq/the_complete_map_of_nirn/
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90

The Forgotten Realms

The most boring world ever created.
  • BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    I would like to see a game set in Elsweyr purely for disparity's sake, but honestly, I would pay full price for a game set in a diseased bowel if I knew Todd Howard was the lead designer.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Anywhere they want as long as it's OFFLINE. I was a little surprised to see this topic as I expected this to be yet another universe that would disappear due to bankruptcy over a diehard MMO attempt.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @enqenq Elderscrolls Online were developed by a separate company than Bethesda, i.e. different people, although it had a certain economical connection to Bethesda.

Bethesda's Elder Scrolls products have usually been a big success. All of them are offline, so I think that the 6th part will be offline as well, although it may have an additional multiplayer feature.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bengoshi said:

Bethesda's Elder Scrolls products have usually been a big success. All of them are offline, so I think that the 6th part will be offline as well, although it may have an additional multiplayer feature.

More's the shame that 'Big success" doesn't mean 'Good'. Well, Ok, I did enjoy both Oblivion and Skyrim, but I recognize their flaws as well. I hope that the new generation of consoles will allow for a bit more than just better graphics.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    In the online game, the starting tropical island of the cat people is very pretty.

But perhaps it will be not so much "where" as "when". A big jump forward or backward in time.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    id love any of the top 5 to be honest

but black marsh and hammerfall would be top choices followed by highrock
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, we've already seen games in Morrowind, Cyridol, Hammerfell and Tamriel???? So probably some place that isn't them would be appropriate.
    Squire said:

Skie said:

The Forgotten Realms

The most boring world ever created.
    Just out of interest, why do you say that? I'm not necessarily arguing your point, just wondering what your reasons are.
    Both FR and Tamaril (and Thedas and PoE-land) suffer from generic-fantasyitus. Which doesn't mean you can never tell a good story in the setting, but there is nothing interesting about the setting itself. Looking forward to Torment, want Dark Sun and Traveller.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Not interested. It's obvious that they'll go with vast open world and forget to give you any reason to explore it.
    bengoshi said:

scriver said:

@scriver Note the blue islands in the continent labeled 'Extant', that means it's the remainder of the continent. Blue Yokuda is what exists now, green Yokuda(s) are the parts that sank.

Ah, that makes a lot if sense in hindsight. For some reason I got the impression it was the big dark green-brown "province" that was supposed to be post-destruction Yokuda. Felt a bit weird that it would be neatly as big as 50% of Tamriel, but I understand it now.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    O_Bruce said:

Not interested. It's obvious that they'll go with vast open world and forget to give you any reason to explore it.

Morrowind wasn't nearly as large as Skyrim in reality, but it felt 10 times bigger. And it was like being plopped down in a fantasy world based on a Lovecraft story. Oblivion has some problems, but I generally like how it feels despite being so generic. And the Shivering Isles gives Morrowind a run for it's money. Skyrim is just....Norse inspired cities, Viking leaders, Dragons. Everything about it is completely bland. But that isn't the worst thing about it. It's major flaw on PC is that it was the first one that was specifically designed for console, and the port is god awful.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Fardragon said:

Both FR and Tamaril (and Thedas and PoE-land) suffer from generic-fantasyitus. Which doesn't mean you can never tell a good story in the setting, but there is nothing interesting about the setting itself. Looking forward to Torment, want Dark Sun and Traveller.

Fair point, although I personally like generic pseudo-medieval fantasy...I prefer it when it's more of a low power "magic/sorcery is evil and must be carefully controlled" style, though, which is one of the things I don't like about FR, actually; I like it less when magic is too widespread. I'm very much a traditionalist "Tolkien is the master of fantasy and what he says goes" type...I think the number of magic users in the Lord of the Rings stories can be counted on one hand.

@jjstraka34 Skyrim does feel bland, but not for the reasons you describe. The fact that you can fast travel anywhere and be there in an instant, don't have to rest or eat at all ever, don't have to deal with attrition because your health instantly regenerates, and to do any quest you just follow the quest arrow until you get to a journal update notification. And the dragon battles get seriously boring after the 100th time...first time it's "Woah! A dragon! Oh my god, this'll be epic! Wow, what an epic battle! I can't believe how epic this is!!", then after the 5th time or so it becomes "Oh for the love of god, another bloody dragon??". It's the game itself that's bland, not the setting. In my opinion anyway.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy of any flavour. But in the almost complete absence of a proper SF RPG I will settle for SF flavoured fantasy.