Skip to content

Best overall weapon?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Ir'revrykal is basically a lower version of Carsomyr. 1d10 instead of 1d12
    50% chance to dispel on hit (Carsomyr has 100%)
    Some additionnal damage against good aligned enemies (as much as Carsomyr does against evil, but most enemies are evil, there are very few good enemies).

Overall, a blackguard is like, 100 times better with FoA+5/Foebane in one hand and DoE in the other (hey 85% damage reduction with hardiness and AoF)

I voted for BBoD because it is awesome on F/M or even Assassin/Mage (Hey 280 damage backstab). The desintegration thing is rarely a problem in my playthroughs because I'm not doing no reload playthrough. Not with dualed Charname at least.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Flail of Ages +3.

-Available super early
    -Easier to make/obtain than, say, Crom Faeyr or Carsomyr
    -Has every elemental damage type known to man
    -Has the chance to slow the target on-hit
    -Can be upgraded into ToB and starts at +3
    -Inflicts crushing damage
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    For me it's Foebane (because I like Bastard Swords)
    and Firetooth (because I hate Mages).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    bengoshi said:

I would like to mention that the Black Blade of Disaster is just awesome.

+5 weapon
    deals huge damage
    the victim has to make a save vs. death with a +4 modifier or be disintegrated
    a 10% chance of draining 4 levels from the victim and healing the caster for 20 hit points

Also, I appreciate the fact that this weapon is summoned.

I was thinking about BBD, because it's my absolute favorite spell in D&D aside from perhaps Animate Dead. But, as a weapon, it doesn't compete with having a constant powerful physical weapon. I'd rather have 17 levels of Fighter than 17 levels of Mage. But, that's just my preference for melee combat rearing its head.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    It's a close call between carsomyr and foa. Will depending on party take both. I normally tend to use the items for CF separately because they are useful by them selves in every party.

I also love the way cespenar says hindos doooooooom. Almost never used it though.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Cespenar doesn't get nearly enough appreciation. SO much better than Cromwell!
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    Carsomyr. I thought Paladins were useless and threw away that sword almost every play-through.

Now I almost always bring or mod a paladin in this game JUST to get this sword. Try the sword just once and you will not be able to resist it.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    I'm surprised Staff of the Magi isn't on the list.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2015
    @Naten: OP meant to put it there.
    abazigal5 said:

Actually, more than two: Axe of the Unyielding +5, Ravager +6, and Staff of the Magi.

Naten said:

Don't think there is a more overrated weapon in the game than the SotM :P

It's alright, but there's like half a dozen weapons that I would say blow it out of the water.

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Overall, Staff of the Ram for backstabberswhackers and Foebane for everyone else.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    we all know Carsormyr rules all other weapons

But I voted for Black Blade of Disaster, because I'm a child of Bhaal and so I'm evil and deep inside me, I want more than I have
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Naten said:

Don't think there is a more overrated weapon in the game than the SotM :P

It's alright, but there's like half a dozen weapons that I would say blow it out of the water.

I love staff of the maji! It allows a mage to break aggression.

Example:

Imoen casts greater malison onto a group of enemies right outside of line of sight. Usually they'd go hostile and attack her. Quickly switch from her bow to the SotM, and they forget all about her. This lets you cast it again, or prepare for other measures.

It also means that enemies will stand still when you cast area of effect damage spells, when they would otherwise move towards you.

And it's great for saving a mage who is under attack. Ambushed? Got an enemy gunning for your mage? Instantly go invisible! If you have nondetection on, it's even better.
    SotM has its uses, but there are simply so many much better weapons around it's not particularly high up the list.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    What better weapon is there for a pure mage?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    If you installed the mod that rebalances staff of the Magi, i.e. removing the invisibility component, staff of power is just as fine (no save stun is really good)
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    It may not be the best, but the Celestial Fury is certainly my favorite. It's fairly easy to get and early on.

I would argue that FoA+4 is better than FoA+5 because it does not have that annoying, haste-blocking free action enchantment. It was a shock to me when I got the last flail head, and Cespenar turned it into something less than awesome. Sure, the damage is great, but moving around at the speed of a lazy slug is no fun.

I would add the Bow of Gesen, the Staff or Ram and Club of Detonation to the list.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 194
    This weapon is "simply magnificent". And if you really wanna go crazy, pair it with crom faeyr and before long you'll be shouting "MAKE WAY EVIL!"
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Fandraxx said:

This weapon is "simply magnificent". And if you really wanna go crazy, pair it with crom faeyr and before long you'll be shouting "MAKE WAY EVIL!"

I believe the quote is "Make way VILLAINY" :)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    "Monk's fists"
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    For best overall weapon, Flail of Ages hands down. You can get it earlier than almost any other weapon, and it has zero other restrictions than the ability to use flails. Carsomyr is great, but it's a more specialized weapon. If you can wield it, and if you're fighting a mage (which, granted, are usually the nastiest enemies in the game), it outperforms the FoA. But FoA is good for every monster and almost every class.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    My opinion is that a weapon's flexibility doesn't make it the best. My dislike of FoA is becoming notorious, so I won't get into that any more.. :smiley:

That's why Carsomyr wins. If you have someone in the party that can use it, it is the best weapon available.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    To me, celestial fury without a doubt, you can get it before spellhold, you stick with it until the very end, the stun ability is a killing machine and it's a single handed weapon, what do you need more? a +4 upgrade? come on :)

I would put flail +3 > +5 because by the time you have the +5 game is already over, so I don't get how it can be voted as the "best".

Scarlet ninja-to on a kensai dual thief no? ;)

BlackRazor you get it too late imo.

Crom Faer also great but only coupled with an other weapon imo to maximize damage.

black blade of disaster, no.

Never played Carsomyr a single time, i hate paladin and i don't believe in a thief with a 2 handed sword, but i have no doubt that a +50 magic resist before spellhold should make the game extremely easy, so I would put it second after celestial fury.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,522
    I think one of the best ones is adjatha the drinker. Charm and domination immunity and healing.... super handy. and later on you upgrade it to blackrazor... nice!
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Carsomyr, for the reasons already said. From Firkraag to Melyssan, always faithful, reliable and devastating.

I prefer the Celestial Fury to the Flail of Ages (still a very effective weapon anyway, especially if dual wielded with Crom Faeyr) because of the stunning feature, it is the one I most appreciated in a weapon after the powers of Carsomyr.
    The only problems are:
    1) that you can get this katana after a very harsh fight, while the flail is available earlier and in an easier way;
    2) and that in the later stages of ToB it becomes useless because it is only a +3 weapon.

But if you manage to get CF, you will benefit of his powers for a long time, especially against golems and all other single dangerous enemies that need to be paralyzed otherwise will deliver a lot of damage.

Besides, why not dual wielding katanas? Zakkon's blade is useful for a kensai because of the extra spells, while Hindo's doom is simply lethal.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    wubble said:

I believe the quote is "Make way VILLAINY" :)

Make way, evil: hero coming through!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Make way, villainy. Hero coming through!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Must be confusing with stand back, evil?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah it is villainy.