Skip to content

Does anyone else like basic thieves more than the kits?

Maybe its because none of the kits feel very thief like but im enjoying the kitless thief much more.
I was curious if other people feel the same way, it seems like the basic thief often gets overlooked.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm playing an unkitted Phase Spider Thief and I already regret it's not a Bounty Hunter.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In IWDEE I prefer unkitted or multiclassed thieves. In BG...well, I've never played a single classed thief.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Nah mate, kits are great and add a lot of flavour and strength to Thief class.
    Pure Thief only for dual-classing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I'm playing an unkitted Phase Spider Thief and I already regret it's not a Bounty Hunter.

Is a phase spider thief one that steals phase spiders? :p
    edited May 2015
    @elminster: She's a phase spider who steals people's hearts with her pretty blue eyes.
    It's in the "Maybe this time" no-reload thread, near the bottom of page 13.

EDIT: Apparently that's my 1000th comment. How appropriate that it has a cute spider on it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Cool and congrats :)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I'm soloing BG1 with a single-class right now, it's not that bad. Not as powerful as the kits, perhaps, but still more than good enough to hold its own with the right tactics.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    The problem is that eventually you reach the point where the extra skill points don't do anything, while the kit bonuses become more and more relevant.

Can you do it? Sure. You can also make a dagger wielding barbarian. You can beat the game with both, but it will be harder.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    The only pure thief I like is Imoen. But I never finished a run with a vanilla thief. They are just so boring for me to play. They just ended up sitting in the back with their bows before unlocking and disarming traps. Though my favorite theif Kit is the Swashbuckler. One of my favorite runs was a Swashbuckler in Vanilla Bg2. Kicking butt with my wingless girlfriend was pretty fun.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If you want full thief skill progression, and backstab, kitless thief is the way to go.

Swashbuckler is a good full time class, if you dislike micro-management with backstabs to be an effective damage dealer, especially for half orcs with 19str, straight up capable meleer with full thief skills.

Kitless thief is good for dual classing as well. However, if you go full thief up to lvl 40, additional skill points are a huge waste.

For low lvl play though, it is good enough. Assasins suffer the most at low lvl play, not enough skills for anything, no 7x backstabs to make it worthwhile.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    ... only if it's a fighter/thief and a mage/thief
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    At low levels, I see the appeal of single-classed kitless thieves. The extra skill points are super nice at first. By around 10th level, I'd rather have any of the kits. Honestly, even before that I'd rather have the kits, just because I find them more interesting.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The thing is that PnP thieves, and even bards, have other skills that can't be used in IE games. In PnP the thief can climb walls, use diplomacy or bluff on enemies, listen to noises from afar... they have great roleplaying value.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Kitless thieves are also somewhat gimped at low level. I think DEX should give some bonus with light weapons, as THAC0 is an issue for thief types. Still, all of the skill points allow traps to be reliable and that brings the hurt.

They are just so boring for me to play. They just ended up sitting in the back with their bows before unlocking and disarming traps.

Yup and that's exactly the reason why kits are better/much more fun in-game. They get more opportunities to inflict hurt on others (poison, traps, +Thac0 bonuses)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I prefer all kits over vanilla thief as well. Each kit bring something refreshing with little disadvantages, even the assassin's low skill points, which is IMO the worst of the kits' disadvantages, doesn't matter much since in time points will be enough to get all you want anyways.

Slightly off-topic:
    Currently playing a thief/mage keepered to assassin/mage (for RP reasons) in BG1, planned to take him through the saga. He's very good so far since he can use spell slots for knock and invisibility while pumping traps. So already from just starting in Candlekeep and "by mistake" knocking of old Firebeard, he can be the party's only thief. Even without keepering the assassin into the multiclass, I prefer F/T, T/C or M/T over any singleclass thief, vanilla or kit.

Even though a F/M/T is arguably better, a M/T gives you complete flexibility in choosing ANY npc throughout the saga since your CHARNAME will be able to do everything on his/her own, and still reach decent levels in the two classes. Wielding belm/kundane/scarlet with haste/Tenser's etc will make you a good enough fighter throughout the game as well, even without fighter HLA's (though I tend to disregard HLA's when creating chars since 80% of the saga is played without them).
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    an ordinary thief can max detect illusion along other skills sufficiently soon in order to get good mileage out of that skill, so there's and advantage...if you want to use that skill of course. which you probably should unless you have an inquisitor around.
    @bob_veng - Swashbuckler can do that too. They get full skill-points per level.
    (But Swashbuckler is basically an utility fighter, especially on higher levels, when the +hit/+dmg bonuses stack up)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I am giving thought to running a thief in BG (bounty hunter), but focusing mostly on hide/move silent and traps. Imoen will handle locks and picks and traps and tricks. I hate the THAC0 charts for thieves, but power-gaming as a ½-Orc will be nice (I think).

Or, I'll go Stalker with the same overall plan.

All that said, I do think thieves are 'must haves', but are not fun for all players. I want to play one, just to make me better with thieves, overall. Usually, I go powergamer-melee. While that's fine and dandy, I'm a weak player when it comes to using spells, scrolls, skills. I think that actually playing something different makes me better at using NPC's, etc.

For instance, I'm playing a monk through the original right now. He's just reaching the point where he's no longer the weakest in the party, but he's still limited. It's made me:

1) use a lot more spells
    2) my NPC's are the brunt of the 'power'

I really think it's made me a better player.
    While we're on the subject of thieves, I've never really gotten the big deal about the Swashbuckler. Sure, it's got a bunch of bonuses to hit and to damage and whatever, but those don't alleviate their lack of attacks. At best, you can dual wield with a speed weapon to get 3 attacks, but a fighter can still do that better, and they get a much wider weapon selection. So for pure combat, I see no reason to take a Swashbuckler over a Fighter. Sure, they also get utility from their thief skills, but a Fighter/Thief gets that too, so what? The F/T also gets backstab, so they do more damage when it matters. Really, though, it all comes back to APR, those combat bonuses just don't matter too much when you're not attacking as often as a normal fighter, and I don't see how they make up for lack of backstab when compared to a dual or multiclass. They might be better to dual into a mage, but there's so many NPC thief/mages that I'm kind of burned out on the idea before even trying it with the PC.
    I think the main appeal of the swashbuckler as compared to the fighter/thief is the armor class. Swashbucklers can get really insane ACs as the game goes on, even enough to really matter in TOB. They're also good for duals into cleric, since trying to backstab with a cleric dual severely limits your weapon selection. And do note that you can, in most battles, viably wield 2 speed weapons, giving the swashbuckler 4 attacks (and most of the battles you can't do this in are conveniently trappable, so the extra attack isn't super necessary). Add in the damage bonus, which gets pretty significant at higher levels, and you can start to see why people like swashbucklers. I certainly wouldn't say they're better than fighter/thieves overall, but I also wouldn't call them weak.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2015
    When the Swashbuckler will get HLA(and considering it's a thief, it will be quick), it will become a monstrous killing machine. Whirlwind, UAI(full plate, shields, helmets, stoneskins, mirrored image, Tenser's transformation etc, etc), with huge damage and huge(or rather very low) AC.
    I've heard an inordinate amount of praise for the Swashbuckler, but I'm not convinced it's that much better than a normal thief.

I've done some tests in Excel and found that a Fighter/Thief, at any given amount of XP, has roughly the same damage output, roughly the same AC, roughly the same THAC0, and roughly the same skill points as a Swashbuckler. A Swashbuckler is basically a Fighter/Thief, but with more of the thief and less of the fighter.

And an unkitted Thief? Actually, it has more damage output than a Swashbuckler, if you dedicate some skill points to stealth. Having soloed a Swashbuckler through SoA and having tried various backstabbing characters, I believe that the Swashbuckler's bonuses are just about as valuable as the backstab multiplier that it loses--either not much more valuable, or not much less. A Swashbuckler gets 4 APR with Belm and Kundane both, with a little extra damage and THAC0. A Thief gets 6 attacks per round with a backstab and Belm.

APR is better for enemies with Stoneskin, yes. But backstabs are better for enemies without. Some enemies are immune to backstab, yes. But most are not. I don't think the Swashbuckler kit is much better than a normal thief--the tradeoffs are pretty equal.

Swashbuckler is the best thief kit if you like Fighter/Thieves, or if you don't like backstabbing.
    Wait, I'm confused, when does a swashbuckler have a similar AC to a fighter/thief? I suppose if you like swapping out armor a lot the fighter/thief can get better AC early-game, but then you lose out on backstabs. Late-game the swashbuckler would have a 4-10 point lead by my estimation.
    This sort of number-crunching isn't my area of expertise, but I'd like to point out that you can't dual to Cleric without sacrificing the speed weapons. Given that Cleric HLA's also kind of suck, I don't think it's a brilliant option. In general, I'm of the opinion that if you want to kill things with weapons in SOA onwards, you need either backstab or Fighter abilities. It's just not efficient for Clerics to try without Fighter levels.
    I've actually had reasonable luck with a dual-wielding cleric, but I agree that it's not optimal. That said, the lack of speed weapons applies to cleric/thieves in general. Now, that happens to be my least favorite multi/dual in the game, but if you're going to do the dual, I think swashbuckler is a good candidate. At the very least you can make good use of the AC bonus.
    @Jarrakul: It ultimately depends on what you equip. Numbers in spoilers because they're boring.

A Fighter/Thief can wear Full Plate and use the Shield of Harmony (say) for a 12 bonus to AC. A Swashbuckler by this time might have the Bracers of Defense AC 3 and be at level 15, for 10 bonus to AC. Or maybe you're at the beginning of the game, with Plate Mail and Studded Leather, with +2 to the Swashbuckler's AC, and the difference in the Fighter/Thief's favor is even higher. Or maybe you're in ToB, and both characters can use the same items thanks to UAI, and the Swashbuckler has a +5 advantage.

The Swashbuckler has superior late-game AC (some dispute that AC even matters by then, but I disagree). But for much (most?) of the game, the access to heavier armor grants the Fighter/Thief better AC, at the cost of the stealth ability (which, honestly, your Swashbuckler will also not be using). Overall, they're fairly similar. And for the sake of clarity, when I calculated that they have similar damage output, I was assuming the Fighter/Thief was not backstabbing.

At the start of BG2, the Fighter/Thief should have a +4 advantage thanks to plate mail and a shield. End-game (well, 8 million XP, if you get there), the Swashbuckler should have a +8 advantage over the Fighter/Thief, assuming they're using the same items.

When does a Fighter/Thief have similar AC? Well, the Fighter/Thief's AC is better in the early game thanks to armor and shields, evens out in the midgame thanks to magic leather and kit bonuses, and then shifts to the Swashbuckler's advantage as the kit bonuses increase and the Swashbuckler eventually gets access to metal armor and shields. Since the advantage starts with the Fighter/Thief and eventually switches to the Swashbuckler, I would consider them roughly even.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The access to cleric buffs makes a thief/cleric dual much better at DWing. With buffs, clerics will have a huge THAC0 edge. Thieves really have crummy fighting abilities due to their barely better than mage THAC0, and clerics other than Helm and Lathander have an APR shortage.

If you decide to dual late, your Assassin or Swashie will get UAI, and offer use of non-cleric weapons, for up to 2 extra apr, while buffs will give good odds to hit.