Skip to content

My Computer is F****d. No Modding.

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
So I cannot remove the read only attribute. Update: @JoshBG fixed my issue via literally killing the Read Only Attribute with the Command Prompt :) ! Death to Windows 8 Internal 9 Year Old Dire Bugs!

Issue 'Fixed' *Smoosh*[Spoiler]Windows 8. I have tried to fix it via the plethora of 'not a virus on your computer' methods and then I check the properties.. "Read Only". I have tried switching drives to no avail. So I can no longer mod, Period. I would put this into modding but this also affects the retail product in general too.[/Spoiler]
*Bought a [$800 retail value computer] for ~$600, starts modding -Virus- (9 Year Old Microsoft Internal Error)*.
Post edited by WithinAmnesia on

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Welcome to Windows 8.

What you're experiencing is the User Access Control bug, which began in Windows Vista and somehow never got fixed in Windows 7, despite many complaints. And also continued into Windows 8. You should be mad, honestly.

It is possible to disable UAC sometimes, but in some cases it will turn itself back on, and if it does, there's nothing you can do. Ever. And even if you do disable it, it could make the computer unstable, since the developers likely assumed UAC would always be on, and did not test UAC-free Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

You can also get around certain issues by using folders outside Program Files or Program Files (x86). I have my BG2 install in C:Black Isle yada yada, instead of C:Program Files:Black Isle yada yada. Otherwise I can't edit baldur.ini.

So. I used to have this problem with Vista and 7, and also 8. I could use DLTCEP on my old XP, but once I got to Vista, I could never again use DLTCEP, except to view files--never to edit them. The really galling thing was that mods I downloaded from the web could alter my files just fine--the Internet could mod by BG2 install, but I couldn't, because of UAC and the unfixable "read only" attribute on many folders.

But for some reason, Near Infinity still works for me (maybe because it's installed in my Downloads folder?), and I can edit things that way. If you can't get DLTCEP to work, then Near Infinity may be your only remaining option. It's not quite as user-friendly, but it can do basically everything DLTCEP can. I use DLTCEP for viewing files, and NI for editing them. Maybe you could continue modding using NI, if you've been using DLTCEP. Or vice versa.

Otherwise, you may be limited to using Shadowkeeper as far as modding goes--and you can add any effect to your characters with SK, as long as it doesn't involve new item, creature, or spell files. But of course, such modifications to the game can't be uploaded to the Internet, so your modding would therefore remain personal.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    I think the issue is that you can't save anywhere because all folders are marked read only. Even after you tell them not to be. I recall having this issue in windows 7 before though I don't know what I did to fix it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried taking ownership of the folders in question? I don't actually remember how to do it, but I remember having a similar problem years ago and taking ownership fixed it, at least in Windows 7. Something to google, if nothing else.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wouldn't using administrator account fix this?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @FinneousPJ: Not last I checked. They took rights away from the administrator.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    User account control bypasses all logic.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @semiticgod That's beyond stupid.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

@semiticgod That's beyond stupid.

That's Microsoft.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    *Huff Puff... -Falls to One Knee-* I hope that someone gives a flying 'sheet' about this but I beat Windows 8...
    ^ Spot the 'Windows 8 Javelins'.

image(^ Click the above Image for a larger iteration.)

I AM VICTORIOUS, WE HAVE WON THE IMPROVED RANCOR +1-2 B.A.M.!
    edited May 2015
    Okay I am a bit tired.. So I will say this to you gracious people @Jarrakul , @FinneousPJ (+ Kindly Others) as to how long my search and frustration has been:
    -If you Google this: "Read Only Windows 8"-
    You will see many many frustrated people asking for help. I have tried every relevant link on pages one through three.. I have looked at every 'answer' and every page of all the forums and help sites.. From Google search results page one through three.. I am Very thorough... There is only so many times one can read 'Right Click: Properties -> Security Tab -> Advanced -> Enable Inheritance -> Check" "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object." '
    [Spoiler]'Right Click: Properties -> Security Tab -> Advanced -> Enable Inheritance -> Check" "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object." '.
    'Right Click: Properties -> Security Tab -> Advanced -> Enable Inheritance -> Check" "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object." '.
    'Right Click: Properties -> Security Tab -> Advanced -> Enable Inheritance -> Check" "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object." '.

You get a bit tired after a while of random 'support workers' going insane suggesting the same things over and over and expecting different results every time...[/Spoiler]

Why is it that an Operating system from the summer of 2001 is more reliable than a multi-billion dollar backed 'new and improved' operating system from the same company? Windows XP Launched in 2001... When Video Home System Magnetic Tape Video Cassettes (A.K.A. "V.H.S.") were king of the living room, Block Buster had not gone under, people used walk-mans for their portable music needs and when the Play Station 2 was a brand new console. That was ~14 years ago ladies and mostly gentlemen. 14... Ten and Four.. 5000 days have passed.. and still Windows XP of the summer of 2001 is more reliable than Windows 8 of 2015.. Go Bankrupt Microsoft. No one cares at this point. *cringe.. Esk Bahwks Wuhnuh..*
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Try to install to a different drive/disk and then see if the files are read only or can be changed to full access (from op it is not clear whether you specifically tried this as well).
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2015
    Easy, friend, deep breath... ;)

Does Windows 8 have the command prompt? If the answer is yes, open it with the Admin. rights and type:

attrib -r "path to your folder"(yes, with "" around it) /s /d
    I am confused @JoshBG what must I put into command prompt to rid of this blasted Read only attribute?

Here is one file destination (of many -.-) that I want the read only attribute off of "D:\Matt's New Games" (*notice how 'D:' is an external hard-drive*..)

(-------> attrib -r "D:\Matt's New Games" /s /d <-------) <- this was my best guess @JoshBG .. :| ?
    edited May 2015
    @lroumen It has spread to most every file on my 'amazing' Windows 8 computer.. It has even spread to an external hard-drive of mine..
    edited May 2015
    @subtledoctor I have Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition installed in three or four locations and I put one into "C:\Program Files (x86)" file destination. This is because I was seeing if having one or three on an external hard drive would be a bit 'funky' as in I saw online that most people whom own Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition just 'derped' their's into the "C:\Program Files (x86)" file destination.. It was a desperate attempt at a workable solution. It also failed.
    edited May 2015

I am confused @JoshBG what must I put into command prompt to rid of this blasted Read only attribute?

Here is one file destination (of many -.-) that I want the read only attribute off of "D:\Matt's New Games" (*notice how 'D:' is an external hard-drive*..)

(-------> attrib -r "D:\Matt's New Games" /s /d <-------) <- this was my best guess @JoshBG .. :| ?</p>

You need to put in the full path to a folder you want to remove the read-only attribute from. You're talking about modding, so it's the "override" folder, I guess?

For example: attrib -r "D:\Matt's New Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override" /s /d

Or just "D:\Matt's New Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition", I added /s /d so the sub-folders would be affected as well. But if they don't, just use the full path to the override folder.

Or maybe it's your save folder? But it doesn't matter, what matters is the full path :)
    @JoshBG "attrib -r "D:\Matt's New Games" /s /d" 'worked' (no error in Command Prompt) (ran as administrator) and I still have the read only attribute.. *sigh*.
    edited May 2015
    Now you can REMOVE it. :) Sorry, should've been more clear.

Or what's that should happen at least.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What a messy problem
    Read Only is still around :(?
    edited May 2015
    Are the actuall files in your save/override folders are being affected? Because that's what matters in the end.

So put in the full path, "D:\Blahblah\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save"

or

"D:\Blahblah\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override"

and check if the files inside are affected(meaning try to remove the read-only attribute from them by right-clicking -> proprietress)

There are some PC games which make by default their save files read-only(Borderlands 2, for example), and you can not remove this attribute without the attrib command. That's how I removed it.
    @JoshBG *checks* Hoery Sheet! They are gone? *Squints Eyes* (But for how long.. Hmmmnn.)
    Thank You @JoshBG I can Mod now.. Although I have another question..

So I Open Near Infinity and Load Up Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and I click on an item file and this happens:
    [Spoiler]Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error *clicks okay*,
    Error Spam Stops - No Item Information.[/Spoiler]
    I Can Change the Values of copied items but it is very annoying and very fun draining to wait 7 minutes of Error Spam to change two icons. *That is what I did above for in game screen shot of Rancor+1-2.BAM, but I also had to go through very tedious Read Only Work Arounds*

So what is going on @JoshBG ? (This Only Happens on Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition).
    edited May 2015
    What version are you using exactly? v1.33 Beta 20 gives me no errors on both BG:EE and BG2:EE

Although, I don't remember where I got it. :D The off. site has v1.32

Also, DLTCEP is a fantastic modding tool as well and I would definitely use both of them.
    edited May 2015
    Holy Black Guards! https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/tag/v1.36-20150428 It VERKS!
    Thank You @JoshBG 'How ever will I be able to repay you?'. @JoshBG -"(" ͡° ' ͜ʖ ͡° ')"

Hey have you done any Baldur's Gate mods in your day @JoshBG ?

Interesting: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41073/serpent-in-the-staglands
    edited May 2015
    I'm constantly modding my games, but it's nothing major; I prefer playing to modding, because I don't have time for both. Unfortunately.

Recently, I brought BG:EE archery up(or down, heh) to the BG2:EE standard, because it's outrageously powerful in the former.

Also, reputation -> store prices tables, some scripts here and there. That sort of thing.
    I see @JoshBG , so one could safely say that you are more of a personal game 'tweaker' than a full on 'make-a-community-mod' kind of person?:)