Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    @egon well, in my opinion, it's not about someone's immatureness or adulthood qualities. The way you phrased your questions *might* have offended someone, they sounded rude. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker and other people may react differently, I don't know. Anyway, let us indeed stop this argument.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Why not simply erase the user @egon and be done with it?
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    What a treat to get to see Kerick’s Portrait in development. Fascinating. It is amazing to me that you can take a picture like that, and end up with what you did Isandir.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Isandir said:

@JosefineS: I've thought about it and picked out models in a few cases (and @vierrae had asked me to remake Xan), but at this point I don't feel ready to tackle it. I tried making Xan, and I just wasn't satisfied with the result. Despite their flaws, I still think of the default portraits as representing them, and I want to be sure I can do them justice before I remake any of them.

@Isandir
    I've actually thought about making the same request (not Xan, but BG characters in general), but I know what a monumentally massive job that would be and didn't wanna overload you.

But if ur main concern is that u don't feel ready, then I respectfully disagree. I love your portraits and it would be a dream to see a comprehensive gallery of Islandir portraits to replace all the NPC portraits in Baldur's Gate. Something like this...

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/

... But in ur style of course.

I think you maybe worry too much about making them look similar to the originals. But as an artist, I think you got the freedom to create your own take/interpretation of the characters, and as long as you capture the personality of the characters depicted, then that's all that matters. For example @Nixxi's pictures don't look much like their original characters, but they still scream out Aerie, Imoen and Jaheira to me, and I prefer them to their original pictures.
    @Isandir ...so, no Xan portrait for us then? I am sure, that your try would be wonderful and undoubtfully better than the vanilla portrait of this character. Maybe you're just hard on yourself in some sort of arty perfectionist's spree.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Another great half-orc there Isandir. Half-orc portraits are in short supply too, so extra yay!

No Xan huh? That's okay... Make Faldorn then perhaps :P While the original Faldorn portrait isn't technically bad, it's... it's not very "young druid" (which she's described to be) but more "old witch".

No Xan huh? That's okay... Make Faldorn then perhaps :P While the original Faldorn portrait isn't technically bad, it's... it's not very "young druid" (which she's described to be) but more "old witch".

Yeah, and let's not mention Coran, Ajantis etc. I'd replace them all, to be honest.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Replace Edwin's Beard-Piercings! They bother me so much
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    Baldurs Gate portraits needs not replacing. The baldurs gate 2 ones though... Ye, id trade them away any time...

Baldurs Gate portraits needs not replacing. The baldurs gate 2 ones though...

I sort of agree. None of them -needs- replacing, they're not bad. Not even Faldorn's which I personally dislike is actually bad... but several of them could benefit from tweaks or replacements nonetheless, as long as the tweaks aren't actually major changes and the replacements are similar.

The BGII portraits bug me a bit as well though not because I dislike the art style. I think they're simply too different from the first game's portraits which are (thankfully) still around and they clash badly when you have a party with both styles represented.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Greenpakto @Silverstar

I think art is a very subjective thing. For a newcomer to this franchise, I have no sentimental attachment to the original portraits for BG 1, and generally prefer BG 2 portraits. I much prefer the likes of Keldorn, Anomen and Aerie than Khalid, Xzar and Imoen.

Thus I am really happy to see artists produce all sorts of portraits for BG characters, whether in Isandir's style, or Nixxi, or Coutelier or artastrophe or the more faithful minor edits like those by Plasmocat.

I think art is a very subjective thing. For a newcomer to this franchise, I have no sentimental attachment to the original portraits for BG 1, and generally prefer BG 2 portraits. I much prefer the likes of Keldorn, Anomen and Aerie than Khalid, Xzar and Imoen.

Thus I am really happy to see artists produce all sorts of portraits for BG characters, whether in Isandir's style, or Nixxi, or Coutelier or artastrophe or the more faithful minor edits like those by Plasmocat.

Oh yes, apart from outright cartoony or entirely 3D, I like and use a wide variety of portraits. Generally not as replacements for the companions though, I stick to tweaked portraits there, with a few exceptions. One example is Viconia whose BG1 portrait goes from humanish pink skin to drow black and from smurfish blue to, once again, drow black in BG2. The one I use for Jaheira in BG2 is quite a bit different though as it uses hair and armour similar to what she has in her BG1 portrait, but retains the elven face of her BG2 one.
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2014
    Fablewynd said:

I don't know if it is Baldurizable, whether it's too dark or too small, but if anyone could Baldurize this picture of David Garrett I would be most appreciative:

image</

Heres a better version, even though even this might be to small. Looks like he could be a decent bard.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    or you can change the violin to a sword for a warrior
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2014

How about a violinsword? It's like a swordcane just even more unexpected.

Objection: He must equip a battle axe-violin (+2 vs. conductors)! Anything else is for pansies.

As a side note, this dude appears to have the same hairstyle as I do. Although my hair is a tad longer than his. :P
    Corvino said:

Silverstar - Have ever seen the film Six-String Samurai? Post-apocalyptic kung fu action in which a Buddy Holly lookalike must fight Slash to become the next King of Las Vegas?

I have not. Generally I dislike kung-fu movies but this... this seems like it might be funny. Might download it over the weekend.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It's very, very B-movie. Unfortunately it's not really played for laughs enough. Watch at your own risk.
    @Corvino soundtrack is nice though, Red Elvises are good
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79

or you can change the violin to a sword for a warrior

It's a good idea, though it's for a bard, so I wanted to keep the violin :D

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Fablewynd
    They're always tryin' to shoehorn us into fighter/paladin types. Fight the power!