Skip to content

bards-only party - vs. clerics-only and druids-only!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November 2015 in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @subtledoctor making a playthough? I would read that:)

I think that it can be done without a thief, of course, but will require to be very cautious so that the traps could be activated only one by one at a time. Also, buff a lot. A Mirror Image is a must-have here.

I would definitely keep the party of bards only, it will make the playthrough all more interesting.

One of the options could be to use a familiar with the Find Traps skill. The Rabbit has 40 in Find Traps skill and the Ferret has 20. The Luck spell casted on it may improve the skill:)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2015
    I like the idea of the party. I remember reading that thread where someone came up with the idea of a merry band of bards getting stuck in IWD. Never tried the mod with the kits. Too bad you don't have a blade, would make for a natural frontliner.

@bengoshi gives solid advice as always.

Edit: deleted due to @Zyzzogeton's remark. My assumption was incorrect.
    Post edited by Skatan on
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Summons can't trigger traps.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    There are barely any locks to pick throughout Icewind Dale, so you're fine on that front.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2015

… in WINE on OS X (including TobEx, which people said couldn't be done) …

How did you work around the dreaded "ApplyPatch(): WriteProcessMemory failed, address …" ? Did you add

[Spells]
    Casting Fixes=0

to TobExCore.ini?
    edited June 2015
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'm curious how far a bard party based mostly on summoning and buffs could go. In vanilla, you could run a trio of vanilla bard, a blade, and a skald. You could toss in a jester as your artillery, using ranged/arcane more than singing.

The trio would gain levels pretty fast, so the summons would get some pretty substantial song bonus', and the blade can certainly provide some melee dwing speed weapons.

However, running through Dragon's Eye without a trap remover sounds less than pleasant! Your trap finding Bard would be a big asset, and your party sounds viable.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    DreadKhan said:

I'm curious how far a bard party based mostly on summoning and buffs could go. In vanilla, you could run a trio of vanilla bard, a blade, and a skald. You could toss in a jester as your artillery, using ranged/arcane more than singing.

The trio would gain levels pretty fast, so the summons would get some pretty substantial song bonus', and the blade can certainly provide some melee dwing speed weapons.

However, running through Dragon's Eye without a trap remover sounds less than pleasant! Your trap finding Bard would be a big asset, and your party sounds viable.

I'm not sure if I interpreted it correctly but I'd assume that the trap finding bard wouldn't be able to remove traps similar to how a monk works. Still, a Ferret can get most traps anyway and you can always buff it with luck and cats grace to give it a boost (I wonder if you could stack lucks on top of one another to make the ferret a trap disabling master?).

I'd think that 6 bards would maybe be too much, maybe 3 or 4 instead?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I agree, unless some are nerfed casting-wise. 6 slightly nerfed mages will have fun divying up the scrolls methinks. Really, even 3 would require some care to make sure people get the right spells.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Also I just finally got my mod into a fairly final state, and got fairly final betas of SRv4 and IRv4,

I've got a question about SR (Spell Revisions for those not in the know). On vanilla BG, this mod changes the spell Sleep so that an enemy under its influence wakes up when hit or harmed in any way, contrary to the vanilla spell. But on BG:EE, it has never worked because of some ToBeX incompatibility. Is it still the case with the latest beta?

The EEs have two different Sleep opcodes, and default to using the one where you wake up when hit. (At least, that's the case with the recent patch... I think.)

I didn't know! I haven't played BG:EE for a long while because I could not see myself playing without the BG NPC mod and its banters and that was not working with BG:EE one year back or a bit more perhaps. So I stuck to my trusted EasyTutu installation instead. Thanks! I should give it a go then, now that all the good mods are compatible!

And for BG2:EE I wanted Wheels of Prophecy and Ascension to work too, which they do for a while now iiuc.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Of course it's not wise! But you could totally do it!
    edited November 2015
    edited November 2015
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Looks cool, but why does Samin have the "Good luck" bonus with 'only' 16 charisma? It should need 18, as you state above.

Regarding using the blade or the jongleur, I have no opinion on that. I love blades myself, but going with a party with only new kits has its appeal of course. The cleric/thief (Misadventurer of Brandobaris) could tank if you put him in plate and item swap armor when you need his thief skills, I guess. Tedious, but doable.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    The original Bard was a 1e prestige class (before such things had a name), which was a Fighter / Thief / Druid... so IMHO any combo of Thief + spellcaster ought to be legitimate enough in a Bard party.

If you play with a smaller party, you might be able to get to level 5 before the end of the Vale of Shadows. 3 Bards + 1 Misadventurer might be viable.

Dang, 19 Cha on a half-elf -- are you using the 4e racial bonus rules?
    edited November 2015
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Stock up on a lot of fire related potions/oils :)

(I always find I have a lot of them by the end anyways)
    Maybe one of your clerics has access to flame blade?
    edited December 2015
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @subtledoctor If it's the only way you can advance the game, it's the opposite of waste ;)
    I've played parties where my only source of fire was the oils and done okay irrc