Skip to content

So upon whom are the new portraits based?

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
After @CameronTofer had long ago set the trend by modelling for Garrick in original BG1 (and carried over into BG1ee, of course), we now know that @TrentOster is the model for Dorn and @PhillipDaigle for Rasaad.

Are the portraits of Schael Corwin, Voghiln, M'Khiin and Glint also based on the likenesses of team members?

(Hmmm ... actually, Corwin looks rather familiar, although I can't quite bring to mind whom she looks like ... some well-known actress, perhaps?)

Comments

• AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    I'm pretty sure, Glint is Andrew Foley.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

They weren't based on any of us, afaik, but in a weird coincidence the actress we hired to voice Corwin wound up looking a lot like her. FATE!

Thanks for explaining, @Amber_Scott.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Is there any thread with actual portraits for those NPCs? It would be nice to see those as jpgs in the best (public) quality.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Is there any thread with actual portraits for those NPCs? It would be nice to see those as jpgs in the best (public) quality.

I sense a PaintBG update approaching... ;)
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Hah! I wish, but everything depends on @artastrophe - she's quite busy, I'm afraid, but maybe...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

They weren't based on any of us, afaik, but in a weird coincidence the actress we hired to voice Corwin wound up looking a lot like her. FATE!

Really...

Cause I see similarities here:

• AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    Wait, I think I've seen the portrait of the bearded guy somewhere. Just without the beard and the helmet.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Is that @LiamEsler ?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2015
    I'm pretty sure Schael Corwin is based on a picture of Angelina Jolie that appeared in Vanity Fair:

Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    @Permidion_Stark - no. But she does still remind me of someone-or-other whom I still can't bring to mind.
    @Gallowglass I'd lay money it is. She's had her chin pulled down to make her face look longer, some shadows and highlights have been added and her lips have been made less full, but if you look at the hairline on the top right of the picture it is exactly the same, it has just been extended over her ears. Some work has been done on the eyes but the eyebrows are in the same position.

@Gallowglass I'd lay money it is.

I'll take your bet. How much?

@Amber_Scott has already told us that the portrait looks like the voice-actress. Voice-acting is already quite costly in a game budget, and hiring the top of the Hollywood A-list as voice-talent would surely be impossibly expensive. So no, it can't be Jolie.

And anyway, I don't see that much physical resemblance.

@Gallowglass I'd lay money it is.

I'll take your bet. How much?
    I'll give you an insightful for every post you make for the rest of the week if I turn out to be wrong.

What @Amber_Scott said was that the voice actress looked like Corwin not that the portrait was based on the voice actress. Obviously, the voice actress is not Angelina Jolie. But if that picture is not a reworking of Mario Testino's photograph of her then it is a massive coincidence.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just going to leave the SFW version here.

• JaceJace Member Posts: 193

On the subject of the portraits, does it bother anyone else that the Enhanced Editions portraits don't seem to have a 'house' style? I like to use portraits that are similar in style for all the members of my party otherwise it just looks jarring to me. It's not that I don't like the new pictures but they look so different from Dorn and Neera or any of the old BG1 and BG2 portraits for that matter.

Exactly the reason why I can't live without PaintBG.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Jace said:

On the subject of the portraits, does it bother anyone else that the Enhanced Editions portraits don't seem to have a 'house' style? I like to use portraits that are similar in style for all the members of my party otherwise it just looks jarring to me. It's not that I don't like the new pictures but they look so different from Dorn and Neera or any of the old BG1 and BG2 portraits for that matter.

I was bothered with that too.. But I have to admit, after a while of using it, I have deactivated it
    for a while. (Also, I *think* it makes Shar-Teel to good-looking =P)
    Arcanis said:

Jace said:

I was bothered with that too.. But I have to admit, after a while of using it, I have deactivated it
    for a while. (Also, I *think* it makes Shar-Teel to good-looking =P)
    I generally replace all the BG 1 and 2 portraits with ones from IWD. There are pretty good matches for all the characters (though sadly not for Imoen). I'll probably do the same for SoD though M’Khiin Grubdoubler could be a bit of a challenge.

• Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2015
    Will there be any new Portraits for the PC? (Not counting the NPC Portraits)