Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign is a great game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Grum said:

BG2 would be a much better game if when you get to spellhold Imoen has already turned into the slayer and you have to kill her. It would make the maze you run through by Bodhi make more sense and be much more sadistic. And it'd make your revenge against her and Irenicus all the more poignant.

You might even get to keep Yoshimo that way.
    Your willingness to kill your sister and keep a traitor is despicable.

Tell me more.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    DJKajuru said:

Your willingness to kill your sister and keep a traitor is despicable.

Tell me more.

Well, it's not like the PC didn't find a way to defeat a Geas on an NPC in the last game, or anything, so why not again? As far as traitors go, he's still more reliable than Saemon Havarian, and could possibly give you more exposition on Irenicus' plans.

As for Imoen, it seems pretty clear that the game as is intended for Imoen to bite it, and isn't so well prepared for having saved her at the last minute, hence the awkward snap back to normal after her having been catatonic for a while.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

I may need you to explain this one to me. I find the OC enjoyable but good, not great. What did you find great about it so I may also think it as great?

I think dual-wielding two large weapons looks stupid and impractical. If a character dual-wields, I try not to select them.

I'd like to see more one-handed fighting with no shield.

EDIT - I liked the lizards in NWN. :) Would like to see more of them.

I do think the Lizardfolk in NWN were the coolest part of the OC and learning about them was very interesting in the latter half.
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186

It was literally the most boring campaign I have ever played in my life in the series :D

The map designed and the battles were brilliant... but the story/romance was non-existent >.>
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Teo_live said:

It was literally the most boring campaign I have ever played in my life in the series :D

The map designed and the battles were brilliant... but the story/romance was non-existent >.>
    I actually liked it but it sure lacked a more complex story and npcs. Most modules do that, though :)

Since we're giving unpolular opinions, I really dislike nwn2 : the npc's are dull, the non permanent death is unecessary and I'll only play the oc again so I can find out about mask of the betrayer, which I heard excelent reviews from.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @DJKajuru That opinion is definitely not unpopular.
    If you're willing to read/discover the books and notes, the OC has a nice story. All the companions have stories and quests, and some possible romances, for each chapter as long as you continue to complete them in every chapter. Playing the entire game as a high CHA will be very different than playing as low CHA all the way through, same for INT. On top of that, each class has several roleplaying possibilities.

And, i've found it to be the very best game for getting non-DnD players to get into the system. What's not to like? Wait...don't answer that.
    DJKajuru said:

Teo_live said:

I actually liked it but it sure lacked a more complex story and npcs. Most modules do that, though :)

Since we're giving unpolular opinions, I really dislike nwn2 : the npc's are dull, the non permanent death is unecessary and I'll only play the oc again so I can find out about mask of the betrayer, which I heard excelent reviews from.
    Actually, disliking NWN2 is a popular opinion. The internet LOVES to hate on NWN2's OC (which I actually like a lot).
    NWN2 has the best evil ending in both campaigns than any other DnD game to date. Maybe that opinion isn't so unpopular ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    NWN2 is more of a cult classic. Most people were turned off by it, but it does have a smaller rabid fanbase.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I disliked the 3D play of neverwinternights so much that I never got past chapter 2 and did not even consider buying neverwinternights 2.
    If you ever do try NWN2 I recommend the Client Extender, Tony K's AI mod, and Kaedrin's PRC mod. Tony K's AI mod is great since you can turn the game into a turn based game.

You just go into the AI menu and there's an option for puppet mode, pause when puppet mode is on and it's the start of a new round, and then an option so it switches camera to the character who's turn it is. That along with the tactical camera (make sure to turn on free roam camera so you can move it around like Baldur's Gate) and the game becomes an awesome strategy RPG. I'd say use the normal AI for easy fights but on the tough ones micromanage round-to-round.

Now that I finished Morrowind I'm thinking of going back and finishing Mysteries of Westgate since I've done the OC, Mask, and Storms of Zehir.
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    i agree that NWN is great. the 3D models were fun for me, as it felt like i was actually exploring properly and IMO the maps were really well done, especially any involving a forest.

it was tough having a smaller party of my CHARNAME and henchmen but i always play a mage which is ok coz of the summon and familiar.

its very different to BG regarding the maps but i liked the story premise and the class feats prepped me for IWD2 as when i played that i thought it was a similar class style with the BG map and graphics.

couldnt get into NWN2 though. i tried but couldnt get past the tutorial, which i think was largely due to the camera angles as i was so annoyed i didnt give it another shot, one day ... maybe ... but for me NWN was an excellent game and i for one have many fond memories
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @sazzie Yeah, NWN2 sadly doesn't get going until chapter 2. If you do decide to take another crack at it, I recommend running a high charisma charname. There is a certain event that is wonderful if you have high enough diplomacy checks.
    I recommend a bard specifically since you can use your perform skill in a certain court scene. Also lots of skill points for lots of new dialogue options.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    You can also one-up another bard in Neverwinter by doing stuff like playing your lute after setting it on FIRE. Bards are also invaluable if you plan to play Storm of Zehir, because the expansion emphasizes a lot non-combat skills.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited January 2017
    My points for NWN2 are:
    1) Best D&D character development I've ever seen in CRPG (okay, it's due to the sheer power of 3rd edition, and not the game itself, but still)
    2) Great companions - Sand, Ammon, Bishop, Gann, Kaelyn etc.
    DJKajuru said:

the non permanent death is unecessary

I'll just say that perma death was globally thrown into trash can for a reason. It works fine in a game with expendable characters, like BG1, but once they start playing a role in story, things get really ugly really quick and double up the production time of some scenes.

EDIT
    *cough* might have the wrong person quoted there :wink:

Well, that was embarrassing :#
    Post edited by Ardanis on
    edited January 2017
    Ardanis said:

My points for NWN2 are:
    1) Best D&D character development I've ever seen in CRPG (okay, it's due to the sheer power of 3rd edition, and not the game itself, but still)
    2) Great companions - Sand, Ammon, Bishop, Gann, Kaelyn etc.

Vallmyr said:

the non permanent death is unecessary

I'll just say that perma death was globally thrown into trash can for a reason. It works fine in a game with expendable characters, like BG1, but once they start playing a role in story, things get really ugly really quick and double up the production time of some scenes.
    *cough* might have the wrong person quoted there :wink:

Edit: Also Gann is my favorite CRPG character I think.
    NWN1 and 2, but especially 1, were incredible in their mod capacity. Many of the mod campaigns were much more popular in the community than the OC's. I still like to go back and find Hall of Famers I haven't tried. It's very much in the spirit of DnD, having that toolset to easily create your own dungeons and NPC's and adventures, just like a PnP Dungeon Master.

NWN1 and 2, but especially 1, were incredible in their mod capacity. Many of the mod campaigns were much more popular in the community than the OC's. I still like to go back and find Hall of Famers I haven't tried. It's very much in the spirit of DnD, having that toolset to easily create your own dungeons and NPC's and adventures, just like a PnP Dungeon Master.

Despite my adoration for NWN2 I haven't dived too heavily into the custom modules yet. Wulverheim was lots of fun (though I didn't finish it). Was a cool open-world RPG like a combination of an Elder Scrolls game and Storms of Zehir.

I need to find other good custom modules.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited January 2017
    The problem with those modules and campaigns like SoZ and so on is that they promote creating your own party, over written npcs with depth..And I don't have the imagination to breathe life into those lifeless puppets(except my own main character) Also customizing everything takes away a bit of the fun with improving npcs with subpar stats or weaknesses, with better items to offset their disadvantages and so on.

Or even improving them through a quest like Anomen for example or the PsT npcs.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @batoor Lots of custom campaigns have scripted NPCs. What are you talking about?
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2017
    NWN2 original campaign was a true work of art regarding massive class options, dialogue and romance. There was just a mere 2 hetro-only romance options but they were very high quality (I chose Elanee, her stalking, admiring, over-clingyness and mothering of my character... so romantic <3 )

SoZ was good for nothing but the additional class options, it is all I bought it for.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Stating an unpopular opinion? Here I go..
    I think the original BG1 is overrated and NWN2 SoZ campaign is underrated.
    DA2 is a good -if rushed- game and the ME3 endings are fine.
    Warlords Battlecry is a better RPG/RTS combo (and generally a better game) than Warcraft 3.
    Bethesda creates buggy sandboxes and can't create a good and engaging story.
    Boba Fett outfit looks like it is designed by an eight-year old boy -and thus looks neither great nor intimidating.

Sooo. I *think* I should now leave the internet and hide under a rock... But I actually believe that..

BTW, if you like to mix RPG and RTS, then I say get WBC or The Protectors. I think the series has the chance to be the best mix of the two genres.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Arcanis said:

Stating an unpopular opinion? Here I go..
    I think the original BG1 is overrated and NWN2 SoZ campaign is underrated.
    DA2 is a good -if rushed- game and the ME3 endings are fine.
    Warlords Battlecry is a better RPG/RTS combo (and generally a better game) than Warcraft 3.
    Bethesda creates buggy sandboxes and can't create a good and engaging story.
    Boba Fett outfit looks like it is designed by an eight-year old boy -and thus looks neither great nor intimidating.

Sooo. I *think* I should now leave the internet and hide under a rock... But I actually believe that..

BTW, if you like to mix RPG and RTS, then I say get WBC or The Protectors. I think the series has the chance to be the best mix of the two genres.

True about Bethesda, bro!

What is WBC
    Considering I just finished Morrowind I thought the Morrowind main plot was actually very good. Now Skyrim I think is utterly atrocious and I can't comment on Oblivion since it's on my to-do list.

Arena's story was serviceable but that whole game, while ambitious, has many flaws lol
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    whenever i hear people talk about main plots in tes. morrowind tends to be brought up as the only good one.