Skip to content

What do Clerics actually DO? Advice on spells

I need healing. So I bring a cleric around when I play. But in combat, they are usually just a buffer before and then a bad fighter later. They are basically in my party just to heal, cast restoration and occasionally cast chaotic commands once in a blue moon.

I end up getting Anomen so he can hit things or Aerie so she can use mage spells when they are not healing, essentially ignoring most of what it means to be a cleric. It seems wasteful, especially when I want to take Viconia for my next playthrough.

In other words... I suck at using clerics.

What spells (like debuffs or damage dealers) should I be using IN combat? I don't mean buffs or stuff like Defensive Harmony, but things that can be used in the heat of the battle that might turn the tide of combat?

Any advice on using priests would be welcome.

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Most cleric spells are slow to cast, so often not a good choice in the middle of a fight. When the fight starts I will cast something like hold person or command. In the middle of a fight I will use remove fear or dispell magic in an emergency, but usually once they join the fighting I don't cast cleric spells. In battle they are not going to hit as often as warriors, but they often have good armor class and make good front line fighters to draw enemy attacks. Aerie is especially good at that: with shield, helmet, stoneskin and mirror image she is virtually untouchable. Also clerics are very usefull against undead, with Turn Undead.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2015
    Anyone on here can give you better advice then me, but I tend to use clerics for buffing and support tanking. With the right self buffs like Bark skin allowa Viconia to take a good pounding.

Bow chika wow wow!

But outside of that, they're job for me is to support by buffing and removing negative ailments. I have fighters/Thieves/archers to one to actually do the killing.

I have mages mostly for doing the disrupting, not every class has to be about doing damage in combat or killing things.

Edit...
    I just realized I didn't really answer your question, sorry. The more I think on it... I don't think I've ever used a offensive spell with a cleric at all. I thing I may have attempted to use sunray to kill a demilich... Once, but that didn't end well for me. @semiticgod or @SionIV would more then likely be bigger help than I can, sorry.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    lvl6 heal works well me, i use it a lot. you can anticipate that a character will suffer a lot of damage in the following couple of rounds to cast it on time or you might miss the window and he will be dead...or then a potion of healing will have saved him and the heal can provide the remaining hp. if you rely on casters and the single frontliner receives a lot of damage this is good.

but i usually play with many resilient frontliners and try to get the damage distributed among them so they're very rarely near death and there's no need for healing spells (lay on hands is great however)

other ok during-combat spells:

command - quick cast, ok on weak enemies and even worth a try on casters
    doom - long cast, but has a powerful and invaluable effect on tougher enemies even late-game
    remove fear - quick cast and works wonders if your party is vulnerable to fear; i sometimes fill all available slots with this spell
    flame blade - kill trolls with it
    hold person - useful in many battles, powerful spell
    slow poison - quick cast, saves lives
    dispel - i usually dispel with my cleric
    holy smite - excellent
    zone of sweet air - i usually have one memorized and use it sometimes to remove effects i make; situational but very convenient to have
    free action - situationally useful if you cast web but didn't anticipate it before battle (happens a lot for me because i try not to use it but sometimes still do)

etc... i can go on

clerics with self-buffs such as holy power are very powerful in melee mid-game, before fighters totally eclipse them with apr (especially when you start using improved haste).

overall, pure clerics are good to have but i can imagine playing without one past a certain level (around the start of tob - feel free to replace viconia with sarevok for example), especially when the paladin gets a few more spells
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Also summoning skeletons, whose magic resistance, immunities and HP makes them very useful.

Turn undead also makes several fights very easy. Anomen can reliably explode shades and vampires.
    yes but you're not likely to summon skeletons during combat
    edited August 2015
    bob_veng said:

yes but you're not likely to summon skeletons during combat

I do >.>

I've summoned morr skele, planetar, and mls during fights then I've done before.

Then again I have to mention these are during fights where my first wave of summons weren't enough, damn death spells -.-

And super strong bosses -.-
    my skeletons usually survive, they're pretty tough
    bob_veng said:

my skeletons usually survive, they're pretty tough

do you use you're skeles to dps while the enemy focus someone else, or do you have them tank, because that makes a differences. I tend to use them as meatshield, which is why I love mks.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Holy Smite? More like Holy Shite!
    That spell is powerful and it is the only spell I cast in battle so far haha. I did not know it blinded them too... now I have to use it more often!

However, since I am finally, for the first time ever, using an evil party, I now have to be more careful :/

I will start using Flamestrike, it looks promising. I just don't like the casting time when using it in most encounters.

Hold seems like my best bet. I will be using that a ton, thanks guys!
    yeah aerial servant and harm are crazy. but in reality you want a multiclass cleric. or dualclass to someting else. at high levels they do start sucking in combat.
    I've still haven't given aerial servant run, I need to use it on of these days
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452

I will start using Flamestrike, it looks promising. I just don't like the casting time when using it in most encounters.

I never memorize flamestrike. I use a wand which is faster, not subject to interruption and virtually unlimited (limited only by your money to buy them).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Francois said:

I never memorize flamestrike. I use a wand which is faster, not subject to interruption and virtually unlimited (limited only by your money to buy them).
    The Flame Strike spell increase in damage as you level up (1d8), the wand always have the same damage (8d6) so while the wand is instant, it doesn't deal as high damage as the spell. I happen to use both of them myself, one for instant fiery damage that can interrupt spells, the other for a big F*ck you to the enemy, obliterating them in fiery damage. :smiley:
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2015
    Clerics are AC tanks. They can use fighter gear but lack attacks. (granted fighter/clerics are even better tanks) Sporting -32 AC and 45% physical damage reduction few can touch them, very few.

You dont suck at using clerics, its the NPC clerics that are deformed. Viconia being the closest to a normal one, but she lacks str to actually wear gear until you have a spare str item to give her.
    I guess my problem is that I find tanking, healing and buffing all the most boring parts of the game. If I'm not blowing sh*t up with magic and swinging massive flails in every which direction I get antsy. I have changed somewhat though, and after seeing how useful Slow was I can get behind Hold Person.

Does anyone use the Hold Monster spell? Is it useful?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015

I guess my problem is that I find tanking, healing and buffing all the most boring parts of the game. If I'm not blowing sh*t up with magic and swinging massive flails in every which direction I get antsy. I have changed somewhat though, and after seeing how useful Slow was I can get behind Hold Person.

Does anyone use the Hold Monster spell? Is it useful?

It's really good in BG:EE but close to useless in BG2:EE (In my experience).
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2015
    Yeah clerics are pretty boring lategame. Early game they are passable though, hold person and holy smite are great offensive choices, due mostly to the fact that most early enemies are evil humanoids with bad saves lol.

Cast Call Woodland Beings instead, that summon can cast Hold Monster, along with Hold Person, Mental Domination and Confusion, which is a pretty good package in my opinion.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Do note that only druids, and ranger/clerics depending on your game version and .ini settings, may cast Call Woodland Beings.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    You guys aren't using Clerics right.
    @deltago precisely what I was looking for when I made this thread. Thanks.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

-The Heal spell not only restores all hit points, it also cures any and all status effects, including level drain.

Does it really cure level drain too? I don't remember it doing that. o.o