Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Duh, that's a trigger... Hmmm
    Still, a general set modal state action would be cool (rather than the disjointed few they have). Might be worth a request
    edited August 2015
    Spells for the destruction sphere
    Destructive Vibrations - TO DO
    (Transmutation)
    Level: 5
    Sphere: Destruction
    Range: Touch
    Duration: Special, maximum of 4 rounds
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Polymorph

When the priest touches a creature and utters this spell, creates a vibrating pulse that increases in intensity. The first round, the creature takes 2d6 crushing damage unless they save vs. polymorph (in which case, they take half damage and the spell ends). Every round that they do not save, they suffer the amount of damage that they received in the last round, plus an additional 2d6 points of damage for a maximum of 4 rounds. Any round that they do save, they suffer 1/2 damage and the spell ends.
    Kamigoroshi[Deleted User]wolpakJuliusBorisov
    Shatter - TO DO
    (Transmutation)
    Level: 2
    Range: 25'
    Duration: Instant
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Polymorph 1/2

When the priest touches a creature and utters this spell, creates a vibrating pulse that increases in intensity. The first round, the creature takes 2d6 crushing damage unless they save vs. polymorph (in which case, they take half damage and the spell ends). Every round that they do not save, they suffer the amount of damage that they received in the last round, plus an additional 2d6 points of damage for a maximum of 4 rounds. Any round that they do save, they suffer 1/2 damage and the spell ends.

This spell creates destructive vibrations in its target that are especially destructive against inorganic, solid constructs like doors and golems. When cast on a door or locked container, it undermines the integrity of the object destroying all but the most sturdy or magically protected locks. Against constructs such as golems, it causes 1d8 damage per level of the caster to a maximum of 5d8 at level 5. It is less effective against organic and undead targets, doing 2d6 points of damage. Targets can save vs. Polymorph for half damage.
    Kamigoroshi[Deleted User]wolpakJuliusBorisov
    As you can see, we're adding quite a few to the destruction domain.

@subtledoctor
    Holy Smite should be renamed to destructive smite in the destruction sphere.

This spell will replace Holy Smite (or be added separately if people really want the original spell).

Destructive Smite - TO DO
    (Conjuration)

Level: 3
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 3
    Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius
    Saving Throw: Special
    This spell unleashes pure destructive energy against the caster's enemies. Any creatures within the area of effect take 1d6 magic damage for every 2 levels of the caster, up to a maximum of 5d6 at level 10; a successful save vs. death halves the damage. In addition, if a medium sized or smaller creature fails their save, they are knocked prone and back 10' away from the caster.

[Deleted User]wolpakJuliusBorisov

Smite - TO DO
    (Conjuration)

Level: 1
    Range: Self
    Duration: 1 round/level (max 5)
    Casting Time: 1
    Saving Throw: None
    This spell imbues the caster with pure destructive energy against the caster's enemies. melee attacks inflict an additional 1d6 points of crushing damage for 1 round per level (max 5 rounds at level 5).
    [Deleted User]wolpakJuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited August 2015
    are the names for those set?

imho the "destructive x" formula isn't such a great idea :wink:

edit: how about adjectives such as - annihilating, ruinous, baneful, pernicious, dire, crushing...

edit2: for example: thundering smite (lvl3)
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    There's a level 5 version called Really Destructive Smite. So, it stays in theme ;)
    Grammarsaladbob_veng
    edited August 2015
    bob_veng said:

are the names for those set?

imho the "destructive x" formula isn't such a great idea :wink:

edit: how about adjectives such as - annihilating, ruinous, baneful, pernicious, dire, crushing...

edit2: for example: thundering smite (lvl3)

Lol, I hear ya.

What about "wave of destruction"? It should be a wave emanating from the caster. (Which I should make more clear in the description). Maybe ruinous wave? Annihilating x sounds like it should be a higher level spell. Hmmm...

Also, I could see a "ruinous vibrations" spell....

One more thing: I really like making spells. If anyone has an idea for a spell or even a new sphere (with enough spells to fill it) don't be shy. Not everything will work, but my ears are open.

Also, feel free to post suggestions for arcane spells in the tome and blood thread
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
    edited August 2015
    maybe (for wave of destruction):

gust of desolation (i'd pick this one)
    wave of desolation
    ravaging gust
    ravaging torrent
    gush of wrath
    ferocious wave
    thundering pulse (you could add a deafening effect)

ruinous wave is ok too
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:

how 'booout...

baneful trembles
    GrammarsaladKamigoroshi
    Grammarsalad
    i agree...i don't think desolation is an "evil word", but it might be to some people
    Grammarsalad

(Make me a Charm Animal/Charm Monster bard song! :tongue: )

Lol. How about charm monster or undead. Or dragon.
    bob_veng said:

maybe (for wave of destruction):

gust of desolation (i'd pick this one)
    wave of desolation
    ravaging gust
    ravaging torrent
    gush of wrath
    ferocious wave
    thundering pulse (you could add a deafening effect)

ruinous wave is ok too
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:

how 'booout...

baneful trembles
    Oooh, I like thundering pulse! I'll have to find a good sound effect for that! Maybe a short screen shake?
    bob_veng said:

i agree...i don't think desolation is an "evil word", but it might be to some people

I associate it first with despondency. Then emptiness (emotional or environmental). Then existential angst. Not so much 'destruction' as what follows destruction.

I already have a bard song that Holds undead. It's pretty awesome, a completely reasonable replacement for TU. It would be easy enough to make one that Charms/Controls undead - I would patch it onto the S&S Dirgesinger kit.

For the 3rd level spell with its animation of cloudy bits falling from above, instead of "Holy Smite," maybe "Wrath of Heaven." Or, if Heaven is too good-aligned, how about "Divine Wrath" ?

Yeah, I wish I could change TU. I think that is how I'd implement it (i.e. hold).

Divine wrath of a good name. I think I can make this into two spells.

Despair
    (Enchantment/Charm)

Sphere: Dread
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: Permanent
    Casting Time: 5
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell fills the target with unrelenting despair, which lasts until Dispel Magic is cast upon . The victim is allowed a Save vs. Spell at -2 to resist. Affected individuals cannot cast spells. The priest spell Heal will remove despair from an afflicted character.

Note: this is a converted feeblemind spell

Also, using the name "Divine Wrath", but I think I want to find a way to get that Thundering Pulse spell in here somehow.
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    One or two new ooze centered spells would be nice as well. For example, Ghaunadaur has some lovely divine spells that can be found within AD&D second edition's Demihuman Deities campaign accessory book. Chances are they could also work for priests of Moander and Gray Druids(/Oozemaster).

Like this one for instance;
    Amorphous Form
    (Pr 5; Alteration)

Sphere: Animal
    Range: 0
    Components: V,S,M
    Duration: 1 turn/level
    Casting Time; 1 round
    Area of Effect: The caster

By means of this spell, the spellcaster can assume the form of an deadly pudding, ooze, slime, jelly, or roper. Like a polymorph self (the 4th-level wizard spell), this spell grants the spellcaster the form, physical mode of locomotion, and mode of breathing of the selected creature. No system shock roll is required. Unlike a polymorph self spell, this spell also gives the new form's other abilities (attack, magic, special movement, etc.), with the exception of the ability of those creatures who can split into multiple forms (voluntarily or involuntarily) and attack. Situations that would normally cause the caster to split up do so, but the multiple shapes only rejoin the next round into one form. Also, the caster cannot assume a different form than the form selected when the spell is cast at any time except to resume his original form, which immediately ends the spell.

The type of form that can be assumed depends on the level of the caster; of course a caster can choose a lesser form if desired. Available forms include:

Caster Level Form
    9-10 gray ooze, crystal ooze, gelatinous cube
    11-12 mustard jelly, ochre jelly, slithering tracker
    13-14 deadly pudding (black, white, dun, or brown)
    15+ roper

When amorphous form is cast, the caster's equipment, if any, melds into the new form. (In particularly challenging campaigns, the DM may allow protective devices, such as rings of protection, to continue operating effectively.) The caster retains all mental abilities, hut she or he cannot cast spells or use psionic abilities derived from the psionicist class. A caster not used to a new form might be penalized at the DM's option (for example, a -2 penalty to attack rolls) until she or he practices sufficiently to master it. Employing this spell does not run the risk of the priest changing personality and/or mentality. However, there is a 1% noncumulative chance per use of this spell that the spellcaster is permanently transformed into a ghaunadan (with attendant loss of priest abilities) when this spell expires. The material component of this spell is a vial of ichor/fluid from the kind of amorph into which the priest wishes to transform.
    The caster level forms would be needed to slightly change for obvious reason though. Possibly like this;
    9~10 Gray Ooze
    11~12 Ochre Jelly
    13~14 Mustard Jelly
    15+ Fission Slime

Perhaps the green slime creatures from Trials of the Luremaster could also be of use here to ooze things up a bit. Just a thought.
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisov

One or two new ooze centered spells would be nice as well. For example, Ghaunadaur has some lovely divine spells that can be found within AD&D second edition's Demihuman Deities campaign accessory book. Chances are they could also work for priests of Moander and Gray Druids(/Oozemaster).

Like this one for instance;

Amorphous Form
    (Pr 5; Alteration)

Sphere: Animal
    Range: 0
    Components: V,S,M
    Duration: 1 turn/level
    Casting Time; 1 round
    Area of Effect: The caster

By means of this spell, the spellcaster can assume the form of an deadly pudding, ooze, slime, jelly, or roper. Like a polymorph self (the 4th-level wizard spell), this spell grants the spellcaster the form, physical mode of locomotion, and mode of breathing of the selected creature. No system shock roll is required. Unlike a polymorph self spell, this spell also gives the new form's other abilities (attack, magic, special movement, etc.), with the exception of the ability of those creatures who can split into multiple forms (voluntarily or involuntarily) and attack. Situations that would normally cause the caster to split up do so, but the multiple shapes only rejoin the next round into one form. Also, the caster cannot assume a different form than the form selected when the spell is cast at any time except to resume his original form, which immediately ends the spell.

The type of form that can be assumed depends on the level of the caster; of course a caster can choose a lesser form if desired. Available forms include:

Caster Level Form
    9-10 gray ooze, crystal ooze, gelatinous cube
    11-12 mustard jelly, ochre jelly, slithering tracker
    13-14 deadly pudding (black, white, dun, or brown)
    15+ roper

When amorphous form is cast, the caster's equipment, if any, melds into the new form. (In particularly challenging campaigns, the DM may allow protective devices, such as rings of protection, to continue operating effectively.) The caster retains all mental abilities, hut she or he cannot cast spells or use psionic abilities derived from the psionicist class. A caster not used to a new form might be penalized at the DM's option (for example, a -2 penalty to attack rolls) until she or he practices sufficiently to master it. Employing this spell does not run the risk of the priest changing personality and/or mentality. However, there is a 1% noncumulative chance per use of this spell that the spellcaster is permanently transformed into a ghaunadan (with attendant loss of priest abilities) when this spell expires. The material component of this spell is a vial of ichor/fluid from the kind of amorph into which the priest wishes to transform.
    The caster level forms would be needed to slightly change for obvious reason though. Possibly like this;
    9~10 Gray Ooze
    11~12 Ochre Jelly
    13~14 Mustard Jelly
    15+ Fission Slime

Perhaps the green slime creatures from Trials of the Luremaster could also be of use here to ooze things up a bit. Just a thought.
    I have just ordered that book! Should get it any day.

I am interested in adding some exotic druid/mystic kits, things like 'alienists' and 'hive masters'. An oozemaster is right along those lines. So yes, one way or another, this is getting in there!
    Kamigoroshi
    edited August 2015
    I just got a fun idea for a hive master if I can make it work: polymorph into a swarm! The ability would cast improved invisibility on the caster, then, on a 1 second delay, cast one of the swarm spells on himself. As a hostile spell, the caster would become semi invisible, and targetable. They would change their animation to something that blends well with the swarm projectile, gain immunity to whatever damage type swarms inflict, have a magic weapon that had a custom bam showing a number of stinging insects doing insect y damage with a possibility to inflict poison, gain high (around 90%) Resistance to piercing, slashing and missile damage, good (~70%) Resistance to blunt damage, but have increased vulnerability to energy damage, losing the ability to cast.

Edit:
    I wonder if I can convert that 'cloud of bugs' into a creature animation...I like this solution better because I wouldn't have to do the invisibility stuff. Plus there is the paper doll to consider...
    Kamigoroshi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    In my opinion the natural choice for a universal druid sphere would be "Animal". All druid branches have major access to it (in contrast to the Plant sphere, like in the case of Arctic and Desert Druids). Even a Hivemaster, or Lost Druid kit wouldn't be barren from that sphere.

Not sure whenever you guys are planning to do the Greenwood Ranger kit from the Complete Ranger's Handbook. But even those warriors with a green thumb would thematically profit from an universal Animal (Insect) sphere.
    The thing about "animal" is that this new "Mystic" may have some archetypes that are not animal based. I think healing is the best option. We all expect these classes to perform that 'role' anyway, right?
    edited August 2015
    Hrm, I really don't think an univeral Healing sphere would make sense the more darker kits. The prime example would be the Lost Druid kit, since it's only able to cast the reversed versions of healing and cure spells. Since I'm not knowledgeable whenever it's possible to "swap" the healing spells with harming ones via some sort of trigger, code, or skript... I can't help to feel a thematically incompatibility with the whole Healing-For-All idea going on here.
    bob_vengGrammarsalad
    imo, divine aid for cleric and earth/plant for druid is the best.
    Grammarsalad