Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited February 2017
    Lol, no problem...

There is a wiki somewhere, right? I'm going to need a list of religiousy npcs, and their gods ( or possible gods). I don't play the game anymore and i haven't used any npcs for a long while. ...

Edit: The next update should probably fill gaps for npcs...
    Vicona: Acolyte of Shar, cleric of Shar (iff DR is installed), cleric/mage of Shar
    Anomen: Helm? There's a thing with him as I recall.
    Tiax: Cyric...I think we need to make a cyric kit
    Ajantis: Helm. We have a few Helm clerics but do we have a champion?
    Branwen: Tempus. We have a ton of Tempus orders/kits so she is covered
    Quayle: Baravar Cloakshadow.
    Yeslick: Clangeddin
    Glint: Baravar Cloakshadow. He's a cleric thief so that should definitely be an option for followers of Baravar.
    M’Khiin Grubdoubler:
    Aerie:
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited February 2017

Probably the best option is: 5) add a few optional components at the end of the mod to spec out certain NPCs. It wouldn't be hard, we could borrow code from NPC_EE.

Why not just let NPC_EE handle that?

The deity selection dialog is essentially part of character generation, so it makes sense to show it for the player character. But IMO it shouldn't be shown for NPCs if only F&P is installed, because those characters are already "built".

I'd make it so that players who want custom deities for NPCs would have to install both F&P and NPC_EE... And then the kit selection dialog (provided by NPC_EE) would show a hand-selected list of sensible F&P archetype/deity combinations in addition to non-F&P kits for that NPC.

It would ensure a clear scope and purpose for each mod: F&P for amending the ruleset to add divine kits/spheres/deities, and NPC_EE for modifying NPC builds.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @ineth It might sounds good but splitting so deeply connected options between two mods might be a nightmare to maintenance due to the complexity of the F&P code.
  • RigelaRigela Member Posts: 10
    Any expected time an open beta will be about? Been wanting to start a new playthrough, but been waiting for this mod (and its "related" ones)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Rigela said:

Any expected time an open beta will be about? Been wanting to start a new playthrough, but been waiting for this mod (and its "related" ones)

Ahhh yes. This Saturday we will be releasing a public beta
    edited February 2017

@ineth the problem is, a number of NPCs are unkitted clerics... but there is no such thing as an unkitted cleric with FnP (or, lore-wise, in the forgotten realms). The trueclass cleric kit gets no spells, so NPCs need to choose a deity to get spells.

So, we need to provide good options for those NPCs.

@Grammarsalad Aerie follows Baervan Wildwanderer. Somewhat nature-y, could give access to Plant and Animal and Vigor and Water, and give an innate Summon Spirit Bear or something like that...

Anomen is Helm. For Quayle and Glint, if you want something really quick and easy, we could just copy the Leira kit. From what I can see Leira and Baravar basically cover exactly the same spheres...

We could easily *put* each NPC into a specific kit rather than offering a broad choice; leaving the extra choice to NPC_EE. But, i honestly don't see the benefit of that.

(And btw NPC_EE already has code to defer to FnP in this regard - divine-class NPCs will use the FnP kit-choice ability, and other NPCs will use the NPC_EE kit-choice ability.)

Agreed. I want there to be good options available for all npcs

I can probably do some quick fixes for the first release, anyway. Vicona can easily get all options for acolytes and clerics so she can select the Shar acolyte. I'll copy the Leira kit for Baravar, and Baervan will do those naturey things. I'm set on the Saturday release-- obviously unless subtle has an issue--so these will have to be quick fixes for now. Frege and Grice are competing for my time, and those guys are really demanding, so that is all i can commit to by Saturday.

But we will address this issue.

Aside: . . I've been thinking about it and i might just see about initiating dialog at character creation or joining. This way there is no strange select deity ability. I may also see about incorporating memorization of initial spells for all options so you don't have to rest before having your spells available to cast...this may involve creating a new one time ability, but it seems necessary especially for black pit games
    edited February 2017
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    Thought I'd post some bugs that I've noticed - dunno if they've been mentioned yet:

First, after CORRECTLY installing this as per subtle's instructions, it looks like most, if not all, of the kits that are SUPPOSED to be here are showing up. I installed the "kits in menus" option, because it just feels more like the original game. Is the dialogue option just generally better? On that note, It's hard to tell for sure if I'm not missing a few things - none of the "occultist" kits are showing up, other than the Ur-priest. I see a few options that look like those in EE keeper, since I was poking around (amorphous disciple was one of them). Have those just not really been released yet? Just checkin'.

As for the cleric-mages: when I select the Mystra cleric-mage, I cannot select an alignment, so I cannot create the character. When I select the Azuth cleric-mage, I cannot select "done" after picking my spells, so again I cannot finish the character.

Not a big deal but I figured I'd test things while I had the beta, see if I found anything y'all had missed.

This is already really expansive and great though... a little polish and you've got yourselves an awesome mod.
    I installed the "kits in menus" option, because it just feels more like the original game. Is the dialogue option just generally better?

Heh, well, it's a matter of taste. I'm looking into ways to make it more seamless, but i do understand this complaint.

Is this an iwdee game? If so, not all class options will display because the game does not (yet?) have a scroll bar in the class selection part of the game. This is One reason we did the deity selection by dialog in the first place. We started when iwdee was the most advanced engine and we didn't know whether there would ever be a scroll bar. But also, the idea is that kit selection is not the same as deity selection, conceptually. One could imagine a cleric with an "amazon" kit that worships tempus ( or maybe better, the red knight). But we could imagine a "pilgrim" cleric kit that is both distinct from the amazon kit that also worships Tempus. Deity selection determines what spheres the individual has access to, and can grant some special abilities, but they could have different abilities stemming from their kit ( though the two concepts Are related). Think about it like the difference between specialty priests and kits in 2e.

Anyway, I think the urpriest is installed late and so may not show up for option 2. But i see that I'm now cross posting with subtle, so let me see what here says
    Lol, it's been so long that i forgot that the ur priest was an occultist...

I'll look into it

* I really, really need to come up with a better name for that kit. Someone, anyone, please suggest a good kit name for "Dr. Moreau-style mad scientist that infected himself with lycanthropy and can control animals." I've gone from vanilla Shapeshifter (bleh) through Beast Mystic (yuck) and Animist (meh) to Lupinist... they're all pretty terrible.

One reason to go with Shapeshifter ( agree: bleh) is that players will know what to expect...
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2017
    @subtledoctor : I do indeed have Tome & Blood installed.

@Grammarsalad : I am playing on BG EE (although most of the playing has been on Black Pits just to test things to see what does/doesn't work).

The urpriest does show up in the clerics - I didn't make that at all clear, I just seem to remember something about them being occultists. *shrug* Lore-wise, it doesn't make a difference to me where they are since they're a little of column A and a little of B. Just wasn't sure if I was supposed to see others.

As for Lupinists, what about Lycanthromancer?

EDIT: spitballing idea:

It would be sweet if the lupinist/lycanthromancer/w/e you want class could PICK an animal at creation to turn into. Like you could be a werebear (although I know there's a kit out there somewhere for that), or a weresnake (use the yuan-ti sprite!), or the traditional werewolf. No idea if that's doable. Probably not something to try to make happen for the next update. But since I like to see cool things happen on my computer I'll throw it out there.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2017
    I'm having difficulty installing this mod to EET. I've tried twice, once manually after installing the rest of the mods, and the second time as part of a BWS installation process. Both failed.

The first time it gave me this error:

ERROR: Failure("SPPR409.spl: write out of bounds")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-FAITHS_AND_POWERS.DEBUG to SubtleD and Grammarsalad
    Using Language [English]
    [English] has 1 top-level TRA files
    [faiths_and_powers/language/english/setup.tra] has 1114 translation strings
    [./override/eet.flag] loaded, 29 bytes
    [./override/oh1000.are] loaded, 956 bytes

The second time it gave me this error:

WARNING: No rule to identify SOD
    WARNING: No rule to identify SOD
    ERROR: Not_found
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-FAITHS_AND_POWERS.DEBUG to SubtleD and Grammarsalad
    Automatically Skipping [Select an installation method below: -> ALL the new kits, the kit selection dialogue, and the sphere system] because of error.
    Using Language [English]

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Select an installation method below: -> ALL the new kits, the kit selection dialogue, and the sphere system

D:\Games\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: cannot convert kit_code or %kit_code% to an integer
    ERROR: [override/QD_MCP01.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    ERROR: [d5cfcla.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    ERROR: Not_found
    I've attached the debug file from my second go around. Does it just not like EET or something?
  • wyakpa said:

Is the dialogue option just generally better?

* I really, really need to come up with a better name for that kit. Someone, anyone, please suggest a good kit name for "Dr. Moreau-style mad scientist that infected himself with lycanthropy and can control animals." I've gone from vanilla Shapeshifter (bleh) through Beast Mystic (yuck) and Animist (meh) to Lupinist... they're all pretty terrible.
    The Hydemaster?
    edited February 2017
    edited February 2017
    I guess I'll try again. My guess is there's an incompatibility that BWS is not telling me about. I think I'll carefully select my mod pack so that there are NO mods that affect divine casters except F&P. I'm going to use your complete Scales of Balance suite (except for the armor overhaul and -1 STR for one-handed weapons), so will dropping a paladin's STR to 16 or 17 for more DEX and CON be worthwhile? In vanilla BG giving a warrior any less than 18/xx would be a horrendous idea but from what I've read, a "Reasonably Strong Fighter" (as Josh Sawyer put it in his GDC talk) with 16 STR/16 DEX/18 CON that emphasizes AC and HP to tank damage might actually be viable with your mods.

E: 18 DEX would be a bit much unless I dumped INT (and I don't dump stats below 10) or intentionally mashed reroll to get a really high total.
    The urpriest does show up in the clerics - I didn't make that at all clear, I just seem to remember something about them being occultists.

Good then. Something to address in the future but that possible eet bug worries me more. I'll see if i can reproduce it
    edited February 2017

There is a Champion of Helm kit in there, so Ajantis/Keldorn are handled.

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be fine to simply attach a certain kit to each NPC. If you install the sphere system, Yeslick will be a F/C Alaghor of Clangeddin, Viconia will be an Acolyte of Shar, Aerie will be a Fastpaws of Baervan Wildwanderer, etc. etc. Choice is great and all, but for the average player who simply wants to play, this would work well and align wonderfully with the in-game dialog.

And for players who want more choice and/or to break lore and stuff - make Viconia a cleric of Helm, etc. - we can point them to NPC_EE.

To shift NPCs into a specific kit, the code would be something like this:

ACTION_FOR_EACH char IN ~%tutu_var%viconi~ ~%tutu_var%viconi4~ ~%tutu_var%viconi6~ ~%tutu_var%%viconi6_var%~ ~viconi8~ ~viconi9~ ~viconi11~ ~viconi13~ ~viconi16~ BEGIN
    ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%char%.cre~ BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%char%.cre~ ~override~
    LPF ADD_CRE_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode=146 target=1 timing=9 power=1 STR_VAR resource=~[kit spell]~ END
    BUT_ONLY
    END
    END
    ...where [kit spell] summons an invisicre that runs a little script that filters by CharName(S:Name*,O:Object*) as you posted above, and runs an AddKit command for each NPC.

1) Add that code to the sphere system .tpa for each of the NPCs, 2) create the .cre and .spl and .baf files for the kit assignment, and 3) add kits for Cyric, Baravar, and Baervan, and we're done.
    It's fine with me. NPC_EE seems like a good place to do this.

Could you do 1, and I'll do 2 and 3?

( or we could both do 3. Whatever works)
    I'm still getting errors with a minimal BWS installation (EET + BWS fix pack + BWS install pack + Unfinished Business + Scales of Balance + Might and Guile excluding ranger kits + Faiths and Powers). Does the latest beta require a hotfix that has to be installed separately? Has anyone tested this with BWS (which always installs a set of bugfixes and tools) and EET? I'm attaching my latest debug file.
    edited February 2017
    edited February 2017
    @Woolie_Wool and others

Copy the attached to the location in your game directory where you have the faiths_and_powers folder. You should get a prompt asking if you want to 'replace a file in destination'. Click that option (or say 'yes', etc.) This shoudl fix the installation issue, but please let me know asap if it doesn't.

Edit: There will be a slight delay in the public release as we sort through the eet problem.

But it's only a single days delay. We will release a public beta tomorrow.
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    edited February 2017
    I tried it out on BWS+EET. It installed and I confirmed the changes to requirements (I rolled a Neutral Good character with stats that would be totally illegal in vanilla) and deity selection work as intended, but the text strings don't seem to function correctly. The class still appears as "Paladin" in the character creation menu and has the original paladin description. When I selected a deity, it displayed a line of dialogue instead of whatever it was supposed to display.

Incorrect text in class selection screen.

Well I suppose this is better than my last playthrough where fighters would cast "the remains of a fish" on themselves every time they picked a Might and Guile feat...

P.S. is Lathander going to get a Champion or Zealot kit?
    Post edited by Woolie_Wool on
    edited February 2017
    Yes, I used modmerge. BWS will not even start the installation process unless you've already used modmerge. But notice that the incorrect string is the "spell" that is cast on the character to convert him to the Champion of Kelemvor kit. Much like the "remains of a fish" (Khalid : The remains of a fish. : Khalid) error was a "spell" in Might that added MnG warrior feats.
    edited February 2017

Yes, I used modmerge. BWS will not even start the installation process unless you've already used modmerge. But notice that the incorrect string is the "spell" that is cast on the character to convert him to the Champion of Kelemvor kit. Much like the "remains of a fish" (Khalid : The remains of a fish. : Khalid) error was a "spell" in Might that added MnG warrior feats.

That is one of the knight of eternal order's abilities? Do i understand correctly that the ability is called, "Actually, leave him as is...". Lol