Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Version 63b released

2017-03-13
    Version 0.63b
    - NPC cleric kits
    - Fixed bug re acolyte of mystra
    - Bug fixes re: kit adding code
    - Fixed deity dialog issue with mc clerics
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844

Huh. So he is. I was under the impression that he followed Mask because his belt is described as a holy object of Mask.

Probably nicked it, the little scamp. There's no honour among thieves. Mask and Baravar must be well pleased.
    edited March 2017

It is indeed Berevar Cloakshadow he worships. He just has a holy relic of Mask on his person for...some reason. Also he gets 50 thief points a level--what the hell?

That's weird. Is that normal behavior (i.e
    50 points per level)?

Possibly dumb idea: Can clerics of dead gods still cast spells? If so, what do you think of the idea of evil champions or clerics being able to convert to Bhaal starting with chapter 6 of BG1? (Of course, if Bhaal's clerics all got de-powered by Bhaal's death, there would be no point to this)

(also the whole Bhaalspawn thing might make being a priest of Cyric...complicated, considering you're a key part of the resurrection of the guy Cyric replaced, and he has a vested interest in making sure he stays dead for good)

They're kind of not supposed to be able to...but, there are exceptions. Faiths and Avatars suggests that Moander is (or was) dead, but his priests still get spells.

Demipower Deities, a follow-up volume, stated that Lloth of the drow elves had taken over Moander's guise recently in a bid to gain an independent source of power, especially among elves other than drow, with an oh so tempting lure of power: the dark side of nature.

(Paraphrasing from memory here)
    edited March 2017
    I just installed v0.63b and took it for a spin. WOW the cleric of Mystra is powerful with his access to the Magic sphere and his Arcane Weaving spells. A clever player, more clever than I, can accomplish pretty much anything with this guy. My own playstyle tends to be Buff-and-Batter, with powerful warriors and buffed clerics breaking skulls up front and with mages relegated to buff support for the frontliners, debuffing of the enemy (Breach, etc.), and the occasional direct attack spell; this cleric of Mystra can do all the roles I ever use a mage for - and then some! (But the Arcane Weaving spells might mean Death by Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for some players - not complaining, mind you.)

EDIT: actually, he might need a nerf. The +1 to spellcasting level, access to the Magic sphere, and all those wizards spells available on-demand through a single spell are a SERIOUS boost, even if he does lose a number of spells to forbidden spheres (I haven't looked at which ones exactly). Perhaps the cleric of Mystra does not wear armour or helmets or use shields at all, trusting in The Mother of All Magic and her bountiful gifts, and standing in solidarity with wizards?
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2017
    Here is another pie-in-the-sky-I-don't-know-modding idea: tie the Arcane Weaving to Intelligence. Require a certain Int stat to cast AW of a certain level. Dont make it a stat minimum for the class because of course that is just a hidden stat boost during the stat roll process. And the req. increases with spell level. Say, uh, Int 15 or 16 for AW6, the cleric lvl 7 spell? If you don't have the required Int stat, poof, Mystra does not have faith in your ability to understand the innermost workings of the Weave, and you don't get AW of that level and higher. That's pretty much how Faiths and Avatars implemented the various priests-with-mage-powers: Leira, Azuth, Mystra etc. (and why the hell do I recall things like that? Signs of a misspent youth, surely)
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    I see my Ur-Priest has iron skin at 5th level, but according to the spheres should it not be stone skin?
    NOTE: I don't even see iron skin in any sphere list (though I may have missed it).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2017
    Well, stone skin is much faster to cast and can be done in combat easily, while iron skin takes much longer to cast. So it does make a difference. If it is suppose to be iron skin, I am fine with that.
    As for the Acolyte of Mystra, I like subledoctor's suggestion of "Or maybe just make it a cleric instead of an acolyte - so no extra spell slots and no focus access - but still keep the acolyte armor/weapon usability restrictions." combined with the suggestion from rrchristensen about requiring a higher intelligence for the kit (doesn't have to be tied to spell use). Not being able to dual-class needs to stay.

Or you could just remove the turn undead ability from the current setup as he is a magic geek and call it a day.

I wouldn't go wild nerfing as he is not that much better then a bard or cleric currently in my opinion.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

EDIT: actually, he might need a nerf. The +1 to spellcasting level, access to the Magic sphere, and all those wizards spells available on-demand through a single spell are a SERIOUS boost, even if he does lose a number of spells to forbidden spheres (I haven't looked at which ones exactly). Perhaps the cleric of Mystra does not wear armour or helmets or use shields at all, trusting in The Mother of All Magic and her bountiful gifts, and standing in solidarity with wizards?

A good idea, though I'm not sure if it's doable...
    Loop trough all existing items and add the ones you want to block to a permanent .spl using opcode 180 then drop it on the clab file.
    Observation: Playing the Priest of Mystra in BGEE. At 3rd level and cast "Arcane Weave 1" for magic missile and got only one missile. What level do the Arcane Weave spells cast at?

Really like what FnP has done. Thanks allot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks subtledoctor! Bummer that.

Another observation, Kivan in BGEE did not give an option to select a Ranger kit.
    Went and grabbed Ajantis to see how he is. He defaults to an Everwatch Knight (seems correct given his Helm attitude). I notice the description says the Everwatch Knight does not get smite, but Ajantis has smite next to his everwatch sword ability.
    edited March 2017

Went and grabbed Ajantis to see how he is. He defaults to an Everwatch Knight (seems correct given his Helm attitude). I notice the description says the Everwatch Knight does not get smite, but Ajantis has smite next to his everwatch sword ability.

I have to check, but think that the knight doesn't get a special smite (e.g. like the paladin of Tyr gets smite evil that does extra stuff to evil opponents). Afair, they should get the standard smite.

Edit: I checked and yes, this is what i meant. I didn't word the description very well, however, and i can easily see how one could read it and think that they don't get any smite ability at all.
    Thanks for clarifying!

The Ur-Priest, he can wear chain and use medium shields but only gets 6hp per level. Is this correct?

Thanks for clarifying!

The Ur-Priest, he can wear chain and use medium shields but only gets 6hp per level. Is this correct?

No, they should get a -2 penalty to saves vs. Death and spells.

I think they get the same armor as all clerics.

Is that what you are observing: d6 hp?
    edited March 2017
    Yes. I get 6hp per level for levels 1, 2, & 3 so far.

I do see the save penalties.
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
    edited March 2017

Yes. I get 6hp per level for levels 1, 2, & 3 so far.

I do see the save penalties.

Hmm...it shouldn't be doing that.

But how is the kit functioning? Does it seem balanced, so far?

More important: is it fun to play?
    edited March 2017
    An announcement and a request:

We will be continuing to add kits add we go along, but this mod is at the stage where I will be starting to think seriously about increasing role play aspects of new and old divine kits/classes.

So, if, while playing you have a thought like:

- A cleric of x wouldn't say any of these things (i.e. dialog options)
    - This npc ( custom or vanilla) would really get along with an acolyte of y ( or, they would almost certainly clash)
    - This cleric wouldn't cooperate with the church of Helm against Talos
    - etc

Then i would like to hear about it. Feel free to give as much detail as you like. Be as specific as you like, (e.g.)'this cleric should say z in this dialog.'

If you think that something might expand your cleric/acolyte/ranger/paladin/champion/zealot, etc. role play experience, I want to hear about it
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    I think the #1 best thing to do, though it might be extremely difficult, is to make player dialogue and actions affect character alignment. If you pick Chaotic Good as your alignment, you should only remain that way if you act the part. If you behave in a manner unbecoming to followers of your deity, you may have to find a new patron.

I think the #1 best thing to do, though it might be extremely difficult, is to make player dialogue and actions affect character alignment. If you pick Chaotic Good as your alignment, you should only remain that way if you act the part. If you behave in a manner unbecoming to followers of your deity, you may have to find a new patron.

It's relatively easy to change alignment in dialog, at least.

I want to be careful to not to turn this into a virtue type mod, but this suggestion is within the scope of fnp, I think. Added to the list.
    edited March 2017
    Hi Grammarsalad,

So far so good with the Ur-Priest. I like it. He has allot of good spells, though missing the heals, save penalties, HP reduction, and no turning compensates. As I get higher level, I'll let you know more.
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
    Just noticed. Does FnP allow humans to multi-class? I see the multi-class options for my new human character.
    Thanks subtledoctor!

I really like the water sphere. The snowballs and ice lance a pretty nice. Acid cloud later looks good.
    The Ur-Priest gets the 4th level spell Undead Ward. This allows him to turn undead. Shouldn't this spell be removed from his list since he shouldn't turn undead?