Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    "P.S. is Lathander going to get a Champion or Zealot kit?"

Oh yes. Definitely
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122

wyakpa said:

Is the dialogue option just generally better?

The dialogue option is how the mod was originally envisioned, because the mod was designed before the 2.0 patched greatly liberalized what you can do in the class menus. At this point install options #1 and #2 are identical, except that with the dialogue you choose a specialty the PnP way, after choosing stats/alignment, while with the menus you chose a specialty the "BG" way. (And the other difference is aesthetic: with option #2, the kit menus can be quite chaotic.)
    wyakpa said:

As for the cleric-mages: when I select the Mystra cleric-mage, I cannot select an alignment, so I cannot create the character. When I select the Azuth cleric-mage, I cannot select "done" after picking my spells, so again I cannot finish the character.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into it. By the by, do you also have Tome & Blood installed in this setup? Might relevant to the Azuth issue.
    wyakpa said:

none of the "occultist" kits are showing up, other than the Ur-priest. I see a few options that look like those in EE keeper, since I was poking around (amorphous disciple was one of them). Have those just not really been released yet?

It looks like @Grammarsalad made the Ur-priest a Cleric kit instead of an Occultist kit. The Occultists are under the Mystic class; the only two Occultists at the moment are the Lupinist* and the Elementalist.

* I really, really need to come up with a better name for that kit. Someone, anyone, please suggest a good kit name for "Dr. Moreau-style mad scientist that infected himself with lycanthropy and can control animals." I've gone from vanilla Shapeshifter (bleh) through Beast Mystic (yuck) and Animist (meh) to Lupinist... they're all pretty terrible.
    If you're still taking input for names....I don't have any =) But I do have a massive list of PRC names from my decade of playing NWN/ with player resource consortium. I basically create large lists of prefixes/suffixes and roots and string them together till they roll off the tongue. Here is my shortlist of Shapeshifters I was gonna mod after the PRC's last Shifter update:

Beastsouled Atavist
    Moonblood Animist
    Wereshifter
    Skinwalker
    Anima Archon
    Bear Sark Rager
    Wereform Adept
    Beastsworn Idolater
    Plasmamagus (blood Sorcerer + oozemaster)
    Shadowshifter
    Protean Savant (pure psychometaboloist shifter)
    TransmogriFist (monk shifter shifts unarmed damage)
    Zen Metamorph (monk shifter)
    Dysmorphean Infiltrator (telepath+psychometabolics)
    Warforge Mechanist (Construct forms only)
    Warforge Artifex (become one with weapons/cannot disarm)
    Phoenix Incarnate (Druid Reincarnator)
    Beastwarden (ranger base/ Full BAB)
    Fleshcrafter
    Fleshforged Chirrurgeon
    Xenomorph
    Xenomagus

Short write/up on my Moonblood Animist, which I actually did create:

Moonblood Animist - Evil druid who has allowed himself to be infected by several types of lycanthropes. Using the power of his wildshape he controls the curse and makes himself more powerful than normal lycans. Can learn up to 3 wereform feats. Each wereform has certain class abilities, werebears are barbarians, wererats are rogues, werewolves fighters. Can cast in wereform, have significant boosts, but no penalties to stats. Retain certain were powers in human form like resistance 10/silver. Class is full BAB/half caster.

Anyway probably does'nt fit Forgotten Realms, no master/blade/singer/dancer. I tend more towards pathfinder/ebberon/greyhawk.
    GrammarsaladKamigoroshiCrevsDaak
    Eberron is by far my favorite setting. That one had such an interesting take on religion and clerics
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaak
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2017

Oh yes. Definitely

I can't wait.

Slightly crazy idea, not sure if it would work well or even at all: multi-class champion/cleric kits for some of the more martial deities like Helm or Tempus, or the option for followers of those deities to dual class from champion to cleric or vice versa. Dual-classing would automatically pick the same deity you selected for your first class for the second. Aside from the possibility of it straight up being impossible, I could see it being a problem in that the multiclass could lose much of the flavor of its component single classes. But if it could be made to work well I think that would be excellent both from a gameplay and an RP perspective.
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    edited February 2017

Oh yes. Definitely

I can't wait.

Slightly crazy idea, not sure if it would work well or even at all: multi-class champion/cleric kits for some of the more martial deities like Helm or Tempus, or the option for followers of those deities to dual class from champion to cleric or vice versa. Dual-classing would automatically pick the same deity you selected for your first class for the second. Aside from the possibility of it straight up being impossible, I could see it being a problem in that the multiclass could lose much of the flavor of its component single classes. But if it could be made to work well I think that would be excellent both from a gameplay and an RP perspective.
    One issue that we seem to be running into is differentiating champions from fighter/clerics. One possible solution is to merge the concepts somewhat...

As for implementation, as it stands the more doable combination is zealot/cleric as zealots are effectively rangers without the forest-y stuff.

I do really like the idea of keeping the same deity selection for relevant dual classing.

Heh, that's definitely on the radar. Let's talk more about it.

I came here for a very specific reason:

We are not going to have time to address some of the more glaring issues of the mod, especially the weird deity selections for npcs like Vicona not being able to select Shar. But, of course, as this is going to be a public beta release, and because with any beta there are always going to glaring issues, maybe that's okay.

The build we have right now should be playable and installable. But again, it's not pretty in places.

So i ask: should we just release the public beta today?

I want to get this thing out the door, but i understand that npcs are a big, important part of the game. As such, npc deitys will be the next priority, but that will come in about a week. But, we can wait until that issue is addressed if that's too much of a gamebreaker. Or we can just push it out the gate and let you guys play with it.

What do you guys think?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Oh yes. Definitely

I can't wait.

One issue that we seem to be running into is differentiating champions from fighter/clerics. One possible solution is to merge the concepts somewhat...

As for implementation, as it stands the more doable combination is zealot/cleric as zealots are effectively rangers without the forest-y stuff.

I do really like the idea of keeping the same deity selection for relevant dual classing.

Heh, that's definitely on the radar. Let's talk more about it.

I came here for a very specific reason:

We are not going to have time to address some of the more glaring issues of the mod, especially the weird deity selections for npcs like Vicona not being able to select Shar. But, of course, as this is going to be a public beta release, and because with any beta there are always going to glaring issues, maybe that's okay.

The build we have right now should be playable and installable. But again, it's not pretty in places.

So i ask: should we just release the public beta today?

I want to get this thing out the door, but i understand that npcs are a big, important part of the game. As such, npc deitys will be the next priority, but that will come in about a week. We can wait until that issue is addressed if that's too much of a gamebreaker. Or we can just push it out the gate and let you guys play with it.

What do you guys think?
    Release the kraken @Grammarsalad :)
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaakwhileNotZero
  • RigelaRigela Member Posts: 10
    Personally, I say let it be free. It is a beta, so people should understand it wont be perfect yet and I presume most will be fine with not all of it being perfect in a few cases. But, ultimately, up to you. If you all prefer to wait and fine tune it more, we will survive (maybe, no promises)
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    edited February 2017
    Okay, I'm convinced.

Please note that this is a public beta release. We are actively working on this project. Please feel free to offer suggestions or to point out bugs.

Here you go.
    - Removed references to SoD in engine check
    - Added Clangeddin cleric
    - Added a draft of Baravar (but not added in the game via tp2 or otherwise)
    - Removed backup folder
    inethCrevsDaak
    edited February 2017
    Updated to version 0.61a.
    - Added a valid marker for IWDEE divine spells

If you already have this installed, there is no need to reinstall. Just place the itm file in the attached zip into your override folder.
    CrevsDaak
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    Congratulations on the occasion of releasing public BETA!
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
  • RigelaRigela Member Posts: 10
    Woo! Time to test it out now.
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak

So are dual/multi options completely hardcoded? If so that's a real shame. I think opening up those options would be rich material for mods (for instance, one such mod idea I can immediately come up with is making Minsc a dual-class ranger/fighter, which seems more in line with his personality, stats, and skillset--he was a ranger before he got hit in the head and lost most of his WIS, then became a fighter).
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    I've played dual 6 fighter/Cleric of Leira and it was a Bloodrage killing machine :)
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    edited February 2017
    @Woolie_Wool , multi/dual classes are defined in the game engine and cannot be changed. The best modders can do is make multiclasses that emulate certain class combinations, but because ability bars are also hardcoded, it is hard.
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    That sucks. I hope Beamdog make classes fully scriptable in the future so new multiclass combos or even entire new classes can be defined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Does the Barbarian Ranger have fighter-like THAC0, AC, etc.?
    Ahhh, we should do something with fallen classes. There is no reason, in my opinion, that one couldn't make new selections after falling...or, hold out and look for redemption
    CrevsDaak
    Yeah, it would indeed be very nice to have other options when you fall than reloading your save (because lol if you're going to play a ranger or paladin with no powers who is worse at everything than the equivalent fighter).
    CrevsDaakGrammarsalad
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    So wait, is there an update on the immediate horizon for NPC classes? If I download the current beta will it change drastically in the next week or so?

Just makin' sure I don't hafta reinstall anything. :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2017
    Haha I'll wait for news. I'm fine with EE keeper but I like to avoid using it if I don't hafta.

EDIT: better question - if I don't actually start a campaign but want to test classes, will the update be something I can install just anytime?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Hah, don't hurt yourself on my account.
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    Ok.. sorry if what i am going to write below is inaccurate but why you have plans to do changes for classes such as Barbarian in this mod? arent there other mods like Might and Guile that do that?...
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    In his first post Grammarsalad says:

Class Changes: Other possibilities

Barbarian: A possible way to differentiate the barbarian from the berserker is to make the barbarians rage something of a religious expression of devotion to a god or spirit/animism
    Grammarsalad
    Yeah, I should update the op at some point
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2017
    b_frz00.spl is referenced in at least three .2da files present in my override folder (B_ZE00.2DA, B_ZEALOT.2DA and clabpa04.2da) but the file doesn't exist in the override folder. I installed everything with "Select an installation method below: -> ALL the new kits, the kit selection dialogue, and the sphere system: 0.61".
    Grammarsalad