Skip to content

Are Liches cheating by casting Protection from Magical Weapons?

toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
First - no spoilers please (including tactics spoilers, I just want the facts, would prefer to figure out strategies against liches - and indeed in general, on my own) :)

The spell description states: "When the spell is cast, it confers complete invulnerability to all magical weapons. This includes weapons that are blessed or enchanted. The attacks of powerful monsters are also considered magical weapons. This spell cannot be cast on anyone who is protected from normal weapons as well as anyone protected by Mantle, Improved Mantle, or Absolute Immunity..."

But Liches *are* protected from normal weapons, so what gives? Or did I misread the description, and the meaning is that it cannot be cast on anyone who is already protected by the Protection from Normal Weapons *spell* (which they are not as their immunity is innate, or technically speaking granted by the undroppable special ring LICH.ITM)?

Also, once they are protected, it is my understanding that the highest level spell that removes combat protection is breach, but since Liches are immune to level 1-5 spells, there's no way to dispel it, except for the inquisitor's dispel ability which is supposedly a level 0 spell and hence effective against Liches. Is that accurate? When I cast it on an elemental lich, not all of its protections were dispelled (if any), even though the console said "Elemental Lich - Dispel Effects". Specifically, I fought an elemental lich (uses Improved Mantle instead of PFMW), and after "dispel effects" I still saw the animations for fire shield and mirror image, and my magical weapons were still ineffective, so Improved Mantle wasn't dispelled either (he did not cast any of these again after the "dispel effect" message showed in the console, ergo they were never dispelled). Of course, Globe Of Invulnerability wasn't effected, but that's to be expected seeing as it's a spell protection.

Thanks!
Post edited by toxin on

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Technically, those spells are mutually exclusive. When you cast one of those spells it "protects" the user against all the other spells.
    The description is almost correct. You cannot cast the spell on someone who already has one of the other spells active.
    The creatures which have a permanent effect protecting them against non magical weapons, are not prevented from casting a spell such as PfMW. And btw this is your on case. At some point the protagonist can get a permanent protection against weapons with the lowest enchantement levels and you are still able to cast PfMW if you like to do so.

Dispel/Remove magic as a spell or innate ability.
    The various effects in the game can be used with a dispel / no dispel flag. Therefore not all effects can be dispelled. For instance you cannot dispel the effects granted by the lich ring.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    To me it's like:

Is CHARNAME cheating by casting green Protection scrolls when fighting Liches?

And my personal opinion is "No" to both questions. All means are fine if you fight for you life.

As for the Breach spell working on Liches, the SCS mod has a component to make it work.
  • toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2015
    Musigny said:

Technically, those spells are mutually exclusive. When you cast one of those spells it "protects" the user against all the other spells.
    The description is almost correct. You cannot cast the spell on someone who already has one of the other spells active.
    The creatures which have a permanent effect protecting them against non magical weapons, are not prevented from casting a spell such as PfMW. And btw this is your on case. At some point the protagonist can get a permanent protection against weapons with the lowest enchantement levels and you are still able to cast PfMW if you like to do so.

Thank you for clarifying.

Dispel/Remove magic as a spell or innate ability.
    The various effects in the game can be used with a dispel / no dispel flag. Therefore not all effects can be dispelled. For instance you cannot dispel the effects granted by the lich ring.
    Yes, but I'm talking about effects that should clearly be "dispellable" - Stoneskin, Fire Shield, Mirror Image, Improved Mantle, PFMW - all vanilla dispellable spells are they not? Or are you saying liches cast special variants of these with the "no dispel" flag ticked (not in front of EE Keeper at the moment to check)?
    bengoshi said:

To me it's like:

Is CHARNAME cheating by casting green Protection scrolls when fighting Liches?
    And my personal opinion is "No" to both questions. All means are fine if you fight for you life.
    As for the Breach spell working on Liches, the SCS mod has a component to make it work.

I did not mean cheating in the sense of using cheesy tactics, but in the sense of doing something that's against the game's rules - neither of us should be able to do that.

The SCS mod sounds interesting, is it stable and recommended?
    Stratagems/SCS is stable if you use the latest version: v30
    It is recommended. This is a huge mod which changes most files in the game, not just the breach component. However I suggest not using it for your first playthroughs.

Dispel: The liches cast the normal wizard spells which can be dispelled.
    Musigny said:

Dispel: The liches cast the normal wizard spells which can be dispelled.

What am I missing then? I can clearly see the console saying "lich - dispel effects", but the spells are definitely still there!
    The spells can be dispelled.
    This does not mean you will effectively dispel them depending on what spell/ability you use, permanent immunities of your enemies, additional protection such as immunity to abjuration, immunity to spell levels etc...
    My enemy is an elemental Lich (bridge district). I am using Keldorn's Inquisitor Dispel ability, which should get through the cracks of the lich's lvl 1-5 immunity (being a level 0 "spell" as I understand it). I went through each and every immunity in EE Keeper / DLTCEP and don't recall seeing anything that would explain this. Besides, if some sore of immunity was involved, I would expect to see something like "Elemental Lich - Spell Ineffective" or "Elemental Lich - Magic Resistance" or even nothing at all - but I do see "Elemental Lich - Dispel Effects" which implies the spell was successful does it not?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I have often seen the "Dispel Effects" message when nothing was dispelled at all. Either the message indicates at least one effect has been dispelled (say, a Haste spell from a lower-level mage, but not a Protection from the Elements spell from a higher-level mage), or it only indicates the spell has made contact, not that it was successful.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @toxin You assume wrongly that it always dispels all effects. It means some spells dispelled.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Liches, especially with SCSII, are incredibly annoying.
    That's why I love annoying them as well: if I see them chanting an alteration spell, it's a Timestop giveaway, so I move everyone far away.
    Then I proceed to send Korgan with his extremely high saves, boots of speed and elemental resist gear and just stand there tanking the liches away as they spend their rounds chaining a billion PFMW and trying to affect Korgan with spells... spells he has 100% chance of saving against or enough resist to equal a bee's sting. If you enable HLAs for them, Fallen Planetar is the only dangerous one, but you can easily lead it away from the lich with the tank and kill it with the help of your party far away.
    Kangaxx in lich form is the only one I recall that spawns in an area your entire party must be together...

I don't really have the patience to dispel their protections... usually they'll break target with improved invis, or they immediately start with Time Stop > Time Stop before you can damage them enough, they have a ton of PFMW chains... it's rather luck based as to wheter you can dispel them on the first round, and if you don't some of your weaker characters might as well be dead the next round after the Time Stop and HLA spam begins. There's always the chance you won't be able to break their concentration too because of the way the system works. And if you enable prebuffing they ALWAYS start protected from magic and fire... meaning even then undead specific spells are moot. False Dawn confuses most, at least, but that has a high casting time if not cleric/mage.
    I do recall Death Fog affecting undead though, but I don't like using it since it seems more of an oversight considering the spell states all animal life and undead are well, undead. If you use it it's a very easy way just like Cloudkill wands annihilate all non undead mages no matter their level.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    What level is your Inquisitor?

Dispel has to be cast at a higher level than the targeted spells in order to work...

If the Lich is level 25 and Inquisitor is level 10... Even with the double power it won't be effective.

Worth investigating?
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2015
    Can't recommend SCS mod high enough. Absolutely worth it. Just don't install components in Tactics section if you don't feel confident about it. Also my recommendation is to not install components in Items section (except +1 arrows -> masterwork arrows), but it's up to you, as always. Also be careful with pre-buffed mages and clerics; I'm using "pre-buffed mages on ambushes and clerics always pre-buffed", but it may be too much. Clerics and mages without pre-buffing are still valid and interesting.
    The lich is level 20 and my inquisitor is level 10, so I should have a 50% chance. So I made a couple of tests and indeed - it seems I do get that chance and about half the times dispel works. I guess I just had a bit of bad luck in my first couple of attempts?

@FinneousPJ my limited trials suggest that either all dispellable spells are removed (in the lich's case, everything except globe of invulnerability), or none are. Perhaps they implemented it as a single roll per spell level bucket?

@RedWizard I appreciate your post but please let's keep it technical and not discuss battle strategies (like I said I'd rather figure those out for my own).

Anyway, I think I'll just install SCS so I can breach these mofos.
    I'm pondering which components to select though - obviously I'll take the spells and the AI tweaks (wouldn't be fair to change the rules and not tell the AI about it). I definitely won't take the item tweaks (overpowered items are too much fun), and the misc tweaks don't seem that important (and some seem pretty tedious). I'm a bit on the fence regarding the tactical challenges - are they just frustratingly/unfairly difficult or more towards satisfyingly challenging?

Can't recommend SCS mode high enough. Absolutely worth it. Just don't install components in Tactics section if you don't feel confident about it. Also my recommendation is to not install components in Items section (except +1 arrows -> masterwork arrows), but it's up to you, as always.

Thank you for the recommendation. I consider myself very good in combat (I played all IE games back in the day, probably twice each, always on core rules), but I just want to make sure the tactical challenges are "fair" and can be won with legitimate strategies, rather than turn into frustrating ordeals that encourage cheese tactics.
    SCS actually makes things more "fair". Vanilla version contains more or less stupid things (no offense, sorry) , just "to make that fight harder" here and there.
    Yes, this is why I'll install the spells and AI fixes. The tactical challenge pack however, simply makes encounters harder as I understand it, and I'm trying to understand if they get too hard to be reasonable and fun.

SCS actually makes things more "fair". Vanilla version contains more or less stupid things (no offense, sorry) , just "to make that fight harder" here and there.

This is a widespread idea but if you scrutinize the various creature modiifcations or the script system itself, you will find things less fair than expected.
    The new EE content scripts are IMO a real fair example of scripting (even if not developped/enhanced enough).
    edited August 2015
    I'd recommend to play without Tactics components and then turn them on if you think that it would add more fun. I've updated my comment above.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @toxin Re: dispel I always thought it rolls for every effect separately, but I am not sure.
    I've seen Dispel Magic remove some positive buffs without removing negative disablers from enemy casters. I don't recall seeing a single caster's buffs being dispelled only halfway. I believe the dispelling is calculated for each caster, not each spell.

So, let's say you have a fighter who has been hit by a level 22 Lich with Symbol Fear. He also has a Haste and Protection from Fire spell from Edwin at level 16, and a Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell from Aerie at level 14. Your Inquisitor is level 11 and casts Dispel Magic at your fighter.

Under my theory, you've got a 50% chance of dispelling the Symbol Fear spell. You also have a 70% chance of dispelling both the Haste and Protection from Fire spells, and an 85% chance of removing both the Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell. If the level 16 Haste goes down, so does Protection from Fire, but you won't necessarily take down the level 14 Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell, or the Symbol Fear.

I think there's a separate check for each caster, but not every spell or every effect.
    edited August 2015

I've seen Dispel Magic remove some positive buffs without removing negative disablers from enemy casters. I don't recall seeing a single caster's buffs being dispelled only halfway. I believe the dispelling is calculated for each caster, not each spell.

So, let's say you have a fighter who has been hit by a level 22 Lich with Symbol Fear. He also has a Haste and Protection from Fire spell from Edwin at level 16, and a Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell from Aerie at level 14. Your Inquisitor is level 11 and casts Dispel Magic at your fighter.

Under my theory, you've got a 50% chance of dispelling the Symbol Fear spell. You also have a 70% chance of dispelling both the Haste and Protection from Fire spells, and an 85% chance of removing both the Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell. If the level 16 Haste goes down, so does Protection from Fire, but you won't necessarily take down the level 14 Chaotic Commands and Death Ward spell, or the Symbol Fear.

I think there's a separate check for each caster, but not every spell or every effect.

Yes, that is basically what I meant when I said "single roll per spell level bucket" (though my wording implies the unification of spells from casters of the same level, which I suppose could be tested easily enough).
    @toxin
    From a technical point I do not think liches aren cheating since their immunity to normal weapons is innate and not from a spell.
    Your Inquisitor's dispels might not be that good against liches since they have inflated as hell levels like 30+ or so, meaning you'd need to be 15+ which is pretty late in SoA already with a party of 6.
    edited August 2015
    According to the spell's description they are cheating since it doesn't specify the source of immunity, but I'd concede to that the spell description is the one at fault, not the lich :)

That specific lich (elemental) is actually lvl 20 so an inquisitor's dispel is pretty reasonable (even now I get 50% and I'm fairly early in). I've already decided to install SCS though, so Breach would be my first choice anyway :)
    edited August 2015
    toxin said:

I'm a bit on the fence regarding the tactical challenges - are they just frustratingly/unfairly difficult or more towards satisfyingly challenging?

Let's take Chateau Irenicus as example. Some people skip some content in their min-reload runs (such as Cambion). I'm completionist, I hate to skip things, and in some party setups Improved Chateau Irenicus is cumbersome. I now know how to play almost all Chateau Irenicus with Jaheira only (wolf-form with fast attack and innate haste for the win), but I'd be happier without that knowledge.
    Yeah,I figured as much. From what I read, I reckon the improved AI and abilities should be challenge enough.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

I'll have to point out that casting a Remove Fear would be a lot more logical choice here, but I see your point.

And I do believe that it IS for each individual spell, since there are a lot of times when every effect comes from a single source, but not all of them are dispelled. Recently in a fight a Remove Magic did remove a Fire Shield Red and the semi-invisibility from Improved Invisibility, but not the a Stonekin that was cast by the same character. This was against Leah Redsun, so there were no other casters even around.
    Well, when enemies use dispel against my characters they ALWAYS dispel everything.
    @RedWizard: Tell them to cut it out.