Skip to content

Anyone completed the entire BG saga solo without cheese?

I'm thinking of creating a solo character from Bg1 till TOB/insane/SCS mod.
Possibly using a fighter/mage.
So I'm wondering if anyone has ever completed the entire BG saga solo without cheese?
If you did, which character did you run with and which difficulty and mod did you use?

Comments

• johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Wow thanks @semiticgod! I'm guessing solo insane SCS+Ascension is already more than challenging enough, but to do a No-reload on top of that?! That's just unfathomable. But I guess alot of that has to do with prior knowledge of all the major battles ahead?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Prior knowledge is a big part of it, but the most interesting stuff about no-reload runs is finding ways to reduce the chance of death down to zero, which can be tricky. You can't rely on your characters to make their saves every battle, and a failed save can easily mean death in BG2. It encourages the careful use of potions, scrolls, and other limited resources. The game is much more complex this way, and much more exciting. My favorite experiences in BG2 have all come from no-reload runs. But it can be very unforgiving, so most people would find minimal-reload more fun than no-reload.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Oh yes... My first ever run through was completed without any cheese.

Because I did not know about cheese.

But then I smelt the cheddar... And like a fool I ate the whole Camembert with extra mozzarella sprinkles on a Stilton plate...

It was the space bar cheat at the beginning of BG2 that did me in. Glad they stopped that one (But I made a very simple mod to put it back... I'm a fool).

Also I still like to kill Drizzt off using just myself and Imoen armed with quarterstaffs at level 1. But apart from that, I am mostly cheese free!

You really don't need cheese to complete this game.
    Anduin said:

It was the space bar cheat at the beginning of BG2 that did me in. Glad they stopped that one (But I made a very simple mod to put it back... I'm a fool).

What's the space bar cheat?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I remember in the original non-enhanced Baldur's Gate 1 you could interrupt enemies' spells by pausing (sometimes you would have to pause multiple times), and I don't think it affected your spells. I'm not sure if this is what Anduin is referring to.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It was the only way you could get Arrows of Detonation in BG2. Luckily, @Demivrgvs added a very tiny amount of them in Item Revisions. Oddly enough, the pause trick couldn't let you gain access to the Dimension Door scroll, because the DD scroll became a Stoneskin scroll on importing a character to BG2. The only way to get Dimension Door in BG2 was to import a character who already had scribed it--the scroll file changed, while the spell file remained the same. But you can get DD if you install @Demivrgvs' Spell Revisions mod, which re-introduces DD as a level 1 spell, or my Phase Spider kit, which can cast the spell at will.

if you install @Demivrgvs' Spell Revisions mod, which re-introduces DD as a level 1 spell..

DD as a level 1 spell?? Cool!! :dizzy:
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    Depends how you define cheese really. I've solo'd a Blackguard, Ranger/Cleric and Berserker/Thief all the way to the end without abusing the game as far as I know. The Blackguard was especially easy since he could lock down an entire room of baddies with a shortbow and poison weapon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Depends how you define cheese really.

There, cheese. ;)
    @subtledoctor In my current game, I find myself using my fighter/thief solo most of the time in my party of six and I wonder if that's my kind of thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    johntyl said:

There, cheese. ;)
    That's not cheese, that's my kinda BBQ.

Ok, maybe grilled cheese
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    johntyl said:

There, cheese. ;)
    Okay I've definitely done this in the past, the past meaning yesterday, when I had Edwin toss 3 cloudkills into Mae'Var's room. But I don't play arcane types when I solo so sadly this is not available to me.