Skip to content

Theme built parties for different gameplay and strategies.

As the Baldur's Gate Series has been out for so many years and so many of us have replayed it to death, I was wondering how many of you have played non-balanced parties. Instead of having a Mage, a thief, a cleric and a couple of fighters, you instead compose a party of all Mages/Arcane Casters or all Warrior types, or one of my favorites, the thieves guild.

I find it interesting to compare and contrast these scenarios with solo runs. Interestingly enough it almost seems an easier run as a solo mage or a solo thief as opposed to a party of mages or a party of thieves. I run the NPC project mod because it makes some of the harder or later game NPCs available earlier in game and perhaps more importantly if your not running that mod you're missing out on so much good stuff!

Some of my experiences:

The Thieves Guild, for this run I like to run a multi or dual class thief and recruit Shar Teel and dual class her into a thief, Safana, Tiax, Montaron, Alora and of course Imoen (Your definitely going to want to dual class her for arcane support.) I like to make sure all of them concentrate on stealth and one other ability. This way you can enjoy the entire party creeping up on the enemy and beginning battles with the mass backstab!

Thieves Guild is pretty fun but it requires that you customize the party NPC AI scripts to (none) and also requires a lot of management (Ensure everybody is in stealth before you begin mass creep etc...)

I am curious about elven themed runs, all shorties, all humans etc...

So what weird and whacko strategies and gameplays have you tried?

What was your favorite? (You tried it and were surprised at how much you liked it or how effective it was.)

What was your least favorite? (You tried it and thought "Bleh, I can't play this trash!")

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    My favourite was a no reload SCS shorty run.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Well, I once used EEKeeper to create a party of ferrets in IWDEE. Does that count?

In BG2EE, I also started playing with a gnome fighter/illusionist, and had Mazzy, Korgan, and Jan in my party. I gave him the 'tough guy' default voice and had him wielding 2-handed swords.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I know that several interesting ones have been done; Corey_russell over that the Bioware forums completed a no-reload with 5 (Fallen!) paladins and a Cleric/thief. Other unsuccessful attempts over there include a party of 6 monks by Grond0, 6 berserkers, a party of single-classed mages that can only use their specialized spells by someone, @semiticgod made the party of Spiders where he(?) had no warriors.

My favorite that I'm still trying to get to work is the Pacifist Rogue Rebalanced Skald; the main character isn't allowed to make any kills, while still contributing with spells and the RR Skald song (+ damage, + THAC0, - AC). A party built around APR and to some lesser extent AC is required here.

By the way: the reason that solo runs are considered much easier is 1) levels are important. 2) It's much, much easier to gear up and protect one person almost perfectly ( @Alesia_BH has pretty much turned it into an art form...) than keep 6 people alive. The deaths or disablement of any decrease both your offense and defense to some extent, while a solo character can't be weakened outside of a failed save (which should never even be a possibility, built correctly) or death.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Neverused: He, so you know.

By far my favorite run was with the Party of Spiders. The idea was to run an all-caster party but play them as if they were fighter-types. Spider form was a big part of improving the party's APR, hence the name.

Themed parties are generally a lot more fun, particularly if they interfere with your normal gameplay patterns. It's always fun to try out a new set of strategies.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    @semiticgod

Spiders, yeah I love spider form for all my mage types, so much fun tearing into an encounter with spiders, although I have a hard time imagining my Characters are good guys when they're all a bunch of spiders munching through people. Praise Lolth! Feed her children!
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited September 2015
    I haven't played one yet, but I've got a few in mind. I'm planning an arcane heavy party with a dragon disciple, Imoen dualled at 7, Dynaheir and one other. I think I'm going to use the mod that puts Quayle in the Carnival and use him as healer. I'll also have Minsc for tanking and Rasaad for loving.

Also I'd like to go through BG with a standard 4 person party. I'm thinking Cleric, Ajantis, Imoen, and Xan. I haven't decided how I'll switch that up in BG2.

In IWD, I've got plans for a Robin of Sherwood party (Robin leads! Longbows for everyone!) and a knights of the round table run with 4 paladins, a cleric/thief and a wizard. I've also got characters generated for a 4 person standard party with a paladin, druid, swashbuckler and mage.

Edit: Looking at the NPC's in BG2, I think I'd have to play evil if I wanted a standard 4 person single class party. Thief, Edwin, Viconia and Kagain/Korgan. Or I could just relax my self-imposed no multiclass rule and go Thief, Ajantis, Neera and Branwen in BG and Thief, Mazzy, Neera, Aerie in BG2.

Edit 2: Or maybe go neutral + Viconia, instead of Branwen and Aerie. I'd have to watch my rep, but that would be an interesting challenge to keep those parties together. I'd probably have to take someone other than Ajantis, maybe Kivan... I've never taken him before.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Not so much a theme as a learning aid: As I have a predilection for fighter-based, blood splattering parties I came seriously unstuck when I got to BG2 as I had very little idea of how to use, and counter, magic effectively. So I went back to BG1 and built a party of just mages and clerics - progress was painfully slow but I learnt enough to create and run a mage charname for BG2 (something I never thought I'd do).
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    I've never benn a fan of magic or mages, so I'd like to put together a real wizard slayer party. Archers with arrows of dispelling, mages equipped with only anti-magic spells, inquisitors, and fighters chugging potions of magic blocking/protection. No idea how well it would do, as I'm not sure how plentiful anti-magic consumables are in BG2. On my first playthough there didn't seem to be much. Could be hard waiting for mages to level up enough to cast protections on other party members.
  • I haven't built any theme parties per se, but lately I've been focusing on parties with different combinations of Bioware NPCs and EE NPCs in order to see all the cross-edition banters, and that's gotten me into some parties that I normally wouldn't use. I usually run with around 3 warrior types, so my current party of Cleric/Mage, Haer'Dalis, Hexxat, Jaheira, Cernd, and Rasaad is quite an adjustment. Nobody has the large pool of HP I'm used to having around and only Jaheira has good AC, so I'm having to lean on all the spellcasting a bit more than usual.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    @Kaigen The Haer'Dalis Jaheira banter is one of my all time favorites. The first run I did with those two made me snort coffee out of my nose :smiley:
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    In BG1 I haven't really done themed parties much, but more so in BG2. In BG1 I think it's hard to do that without mods enabling easier access to some NPC's and I use just a few, selected mods.

In BG2 I've had a party in mind for quite some time but haven't yet played it:
    Charname Archer, shapeshifter or totemic druid
    Jaheira
    Cernd
    Valygar

They should be, obviously, a bunch of treehuggers since I tend to look upon rangers as some kind of forresters.

I like werewolf form served with some cheese, so I have a character rolled but he's dorment, waiting for a few other runs to be completed first. I've also experimented creating 'illegal' chars such as a fighter(7)->shapeshifter which is equally dangerous both in and out of werewolf form.

I tried a run with as much arcane as possible, but got tired of it before completion. I've also tried to play without arcane using Kel, Anomen, Minsc, F/T charname, Mazzy and Valy (iirc, 'twas quite some time ago), but same there, got tired and started something new.

I guess the moral of the story is that I tend to lose interrest when playing to specialized parties.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've played games where I have solo'd and have had 6 of the same team member all at once, but the problems I get with those games is that I get way too bored to fast, doing that, I need party diversification or I get bored with the team, but when I make my team, usually I do 1 of 2 things, either A; I will give them all pretty colors or B; I will give them all monster avatars instead of the default race ones ( like for example if I have a male mage I will make his appearance of that of jon irenicus, of it I have a warrior type I will make their appearance a half-ogre or the slayer) best part about bgee is that you can use monster appearances from bg2 in bg1 with EE keeper
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I had a bunch of fun back in the day with a custom made all-monk party. Baldur's Gate 1 was harrowing, Baldur's Gate 2's early game was stressful. Then I think I jumped early to get some XP in Watcher's keep floor 1, and it paced really really fast from that point onward. Turns out Quivering Palm sixfold is pretty effective against the big guys.
    Also note that this was pre-Enhanced Edition era, so I didn't have kitted monks unfortunately.

Another one was a ranged-only party setup :
    My character, an Elven Fighter, using the Longbow of Marksmanship
    Imoen with a standard Shortbow +1
    Kivan with the Eagle Bow
    Coran with the Composite Bow +1
    Garrick with the Crossbow of Speed, with the ability to swap to the Crossbow of Accuracy, IIRC
    Yeslick with the Sling +3

It's an interesting challenge since for the most part, you can build up any party you wish to use. It was also in the classic Baldur's Gate + Tales, so I hadn't picked Archer, which I'd definitely go with on the Enhanced Edition.
    Here, I picked Garrick, the least obvious one of the party members, for his fast leveling up. Besides, I didn't really need tanky party members, as we (usually) destroyed anything before they could swing at us.
    After hitting Baldur's Gate, it's Detonation-arrow-fest. Pretty fun!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Has anyone here ever tried an all-cleric (single, dual, or multi) party for either the BGs or IWD?
  • Has anyone here ever tried an all-cleric (single, dual, or multi) party for either the BGs or IWD?

Oh evil beware of 6x+ holy smites, I will try it. Just have to figure out six cleric like characters.
  • PinusPinus Member Posts: 1
    Id like to share with you my thoughts:
    Skald (fast attack speed with shortbow from Copper Coronet for finishing,,bard song - bonuses to hit,,spells like "blindness" or that dust, decreasing their defense...)
    Anomen
    Viconia (both as a melee, buffed, and that spell "Harm" i think, - after succesfully touch - 1 hp)
    Jan Jansen (two handed staff, invisibility, mass invisibility - bonus to hit, etc.)

Everything based on spell Harm...
    I found it funny to kill 2 strong creatures by touch : )

Next tactic:
    Assasin Dualed to Fighter with Bows (poisoned bow,,one hit to every enemy with the same short bow from Copper Coronet : )
    Thats the other thing I enjoyed.

• PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    Well i play my games this is BG1 party.

PC Priest of Talos Level 3 / Thief Dual Classed - Pickpocket / Trapper / Semi-Caster / Utility / DPS
    Kagain - Dual Wield Axe DPS / Tank
    Vynd - Trap Finder - Trapper / DPS
    Branwen - Main Healer / DPS / Defensive Caster / Semi Offensive Caster
    Neera - Caster / Ranged / Offensive Caster
    Viconia or Faldorn - Always open to which one i'll chose.

I play this as a set trap / ambush party works well if done properly.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I once tried The Tripod Gang in BGEE. I created six characters of three classes each: three FMT and three CFM. Took a bit for that group to level.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited January 2017
    I'm currently running a elf/half-elf primary party (Imoen is the only human because, best friend) using an Archer as CHARNAME, named Enialus...how original. Khalid and Jaheira are front-line, as needed, which isn't often. I EEKeepered a few pips on Khalid, swapping longsword for war hammer, thus covering all of the damage varieties on one front liner. I swapped out halberd for spear on Kivan, since I'm using the BGNPC mod (which I'll never play without again, now that I have it running on my Mac) and he has long sword too (I may swap that for Bastard Sword later via EEkeeper). Xan's BGNPC quest is fantastic, and I particularly like this party theme because he becomes immensely powerful as a battlefield controller. I've thought about swapping in Coran, but it doesn't feel right leaving Imoen behind. Bottom line: mostly pointy ears Party is pretty fun, so far.

That said, this party composition could potentially face a strain on blunt damage, without respeccing some of the NPC's. I play with a several installed mods, one of which adds an additional unique long sword, but not having Ashideena in the mix seems suboptimal to me, unless you opt for an NPC that specs WH. I'm playing an elven ranger who uses elven Thaco bonus weaponry only.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    tbone1 said:

I once tried The Tripod Gang in BGEE. I created six characters of three classes each: three FMT and three CFM. Took a bit for that group to level.

Hehe, the Haeravon way.
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I tried a all Halfling IWD party that consisted of.
    Barbarian
    Fighter
    Fighter/Thief
    Swashbuckler
    Thief
    Cleric
    It worked really well the only thing lacking was mage spells. However some one said I should have used a Gnome and role played it as a Gnome pretending to be a Halfling Cleric that wanted to come along for the ride.
    I have been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books this past year. Maybe I need to make a party based on characters in the book. That opens up a few possibilities.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    tbone1 said:

I have been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books this past year. Maybe I need to make a party based on characters in the book. That opens up a few possibilities.

Especially for SoD, where there's a Wizzard Hat - deliberately mis-spelt that way as a reference to Rincewind's hat, which helps the wearer to run away faster (just like Rincewind!)

Indeed, a Discworld-themed party is an interesting idea. Xan modded into Rincewind (as a Wild Mage for the appropriate unreliability of spell-casting), Minsc modded into Cohen the Barbarian (with Boo modded into Death-of-Rats), Montaron modded into Corporal Nobbs, Jaheira modded into Granny Weatherwax, Kagain modded into Carrot Ironfoundersson (gotta be a Dwarf!), and so on ... the possibilities are endless.

tbone1 said:

Especially for SoD, where there's a Wizzard Hat - deliberately mis-spelt that way as a reference to Rincewind's hat, which helps the wearer to run away faster (just like Rincewind!)

Indeed, a Discworld-themed party is an interesting idea. Xan modded into Rincewind (as a Wild Mage for the appropriate unreliability of spell-casting), Minsc modded into Cohen the Barbarian (with Boo modded into Death-of-Rats), Montaron modded into Corporal Nobbs, Jaheira modded into Granny Weatherwax, Kagain modded into Carrot Ironfoundersson (gotta be a Dwarf!), and so on ... the possibilities are endless.
    I haven't gotten SoD yet -- I have an iPad and a Mac -- but the Wizzard hat is high-five-worthy. And I was thinking of rolling my own party in BG1, but using existing characters opens a new line of thought. I see Yeslik as more of Captain Carrot; Kagain has more of a Sergeant Colon about him. I could see Neera or Aerie as Magrat. Mazzy would work as Susan, the granddaughter of Death. And maybe Ajantis or Keldorn as Commander Vimes? And Quayle or Jan as The Luggage, of course.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ooh yes, @tbone1 - definitely Neera as Magrat!