Skip to content

What is your least favourite weapon?

lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
I'm curious, what do you think the most useless weapon type in general.

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Ooh. Tough. Spears, too.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Hmmm
    I need to look up weapon types.
    . . .

Axes.
    I never use them. I think I usually take one weapon proficiency point in axes on rangers for flavor but I have never made a dwarvern character and I think they are really that race that would feel cool with an ax.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Swords of all kinds. Especially Longswords are just terribly ugly to behold. And don't get me started on Greatswords either. Ugh!
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I would have to say spears. Clubs are a second one. Atleast with clubs, CoD can be used in a solo run. No such redeeming qualities with spears.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    Spears - never use them, except maybe in IWD. Clubs come in on second place as the least used items. I seldom use short/bastard swords either for some reason, but there are some good choices there.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    edited September 2015
    Scimitars and other curved swords. Not because they're weak, or any other gameplay reasons. Purely a matter of taste, I don't like that style of weapons as much as others.
    Post edited by Tuth on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    In BG1 and BG2 my least favourite weapon would be morningstars. Thankfully they share the same proficiency as flails. Can't complain about them in Icewind Dale though :)
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    joluv said:

I disagree about scimitars, @sparrow13x, at least if you're including ninja-tos. Usuno's Blade is a +4 weapon you can get super early, and the Scarlet Ninja-To is great for a rogue with UAI. Even if you only include proper scimitars, there are two +3 and two +2 scimitars in BGEE.

I actually forgot that Usono's Blade was a Scimitar, for some reason I thought it was a Katana but I may have been thinking of Yamato instead. And Scarlet Ninia-to is definitely nice if you have UAI (I used it on my Berserker/Thief) but it has the same problem as Belm where you only need 1* to make it work as an off-hand.

IMO their options outside of APR-increasing off-hands aren't great in BG2. Spectral Brand doesn't stand out among the other great ToB weapons. Usono's has a 10% chance of doing 2d10 electrical damage with a save for half, versus a comparable weapon like CF which only has a 5% chance to do 20 electrical but with no save, plus a chance to stun with every hit AND activated direct damage/blindness abilities. As far as I'm concerned there's little reason to pick Scimitars for a MH weapon unless you're a Druid.

That's not to say they're the worst though since Longbows and Spears are still pretty crappy.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Halberds. Why are they even an option? Nobody likes halberds.
    Fair enough. I must say, I'm interested to see chopsticks used as a weapon.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Svar said:

Ask and ye shall receive.
    http://www.bladebunny.com/comic/page-15-in-high-res/

(It's a 3 page bit.)
    @BillyYank PFFFFFFFT. I am satisfied. Thank you.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    BillyYank said:

Svar said:

Ask and ye shall receive.
    http://www.bladebunny.com/comic/page-15-in-high-res/

(It's a 3 page bit.)
    I... I have no words.

And I REALLY want to do spears on my archer (like old school pre-longbow archers who dropped their bows and fought enemies off with spears at close range), but I gave up before I started. Never heard a good word about them in BG.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Whats with all the spear hate?
    BG2 has so very many great spears, Impaler, Spear of Withering and Ixil's Spike. Well 2 good spears and 1 stupidly strong spear. Ixil's Spike is ridiculously over powered, besides the free action which is extremely annoying. They do all show up pretty late game, as in after Spellhold, but there are some ok early spears to pick up. Spear of the Unicorn is not complete trash and can be picked up as soon as you leave chateau Irenicus.

I personally find spears to be a great weapon choice for a late game Jaheira, she will have the pips to spare so there is no lose in specing into spears.

Clubs and Longbows and are trash tier in my book, was what I was going to say. Then I looked at the weapons list and it's Bastard Swords. Bastard Swords are pure trash. They go from pure trash to Jhor the Bleeder "which is also trash.", to Bastard sword +3 to Foebane. Foebane isn't even a good weapon.
    Foebane has the 3rd highest one-hander DPS in the game. You can't call that very bad. Jhor the Bleeder (very much like Gnasher) and Blade of Searing (almost identical to Stonefire) aren't bad either, you just get them a bit too late IMO. And the +5 version of Purifier is pretty awesome as well. Carsomyr doesn't even really benefit from the +6 upgrade, so I usually upgrade Purifier instead.

I think bastard swords are one of the best weapons in the game, but their availability could be better. How things currently work is you have to get Foebane early and that kinda makes the other swords redundant.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    @Yannir, @Grum, Foebane is a 2d4 +3 (+6 situational damage) that upgrades to a 2d4 +5 (+6situational damage) with a +1 to saving throws and Larloch's Minor Drain on hit. This is a OK weapon across the board, as it's upgraded version can only be obtained in ToB. Up against other ToB weapons, it doesn't really stand out as something amazing. It's base version is a meh +3 weapon that does some extra damage sometimes.

It's OK, it's not great and it's not bad. I just don't really get the hype.
    @SmilingSword Which ToB weapons are you referring to? FoA and Crom do indeed eclipse Foebane damage-wise but that's it, the others don't. Two-handed weapons are not easily comparable.

Defensively thinking I can't really think of anything better than a weapon that returns 6 (4 apr -1 from off-hand, IH, all LMD rolls are 1's) to 40 (single weapon style/sword and board style, GWW, all LMD rolls are 4's) hp per round. Some variation comes from missing your attack and/or enemies that are immune to magic, but it still averages to about 19-23 hp returned per ROUND.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405

joluv said:

I disagree about scimitars, @sparrow13x, at least if you're including ninja-tos. Usuno's Blade is a +4 weapon you can get super early, and the Scarlet Ninja-To is great for a rogue with UAI. Even if you only include proper scimitars, there are two +3 and two +2 scimitars in BGEE.

I actually forgot that Usono's Blade was a Scimitar, for some reason I thought it was a Katana but I may have been thinking of Yamato instead. And Scarlet Ninia-to is definitely nice if you have UAI (I used it on my Berserker/Thief) but it has the same problem as Belm where you only need 1* to make it work as an off-hand.

IMO their options outside of APR-increasing off-hands aren't great in BG2. Spectral Brand doesn't stand out among the other great ToB weapons. Usono's has a 10% chance of doing 2d10 electrical damage with a save for half, versus a comparable weapon like CF which only has a 5% chance to do 20 electrical but with no save, plus a chance to stun with every hit AND activated direct damage/blindness abilities. As far as I'm concerned there's little reason to pick Scimitars for a MH weapon unless you're a Druid.

That's not to say they're the worst though since Longbows and Spears are still pretty crappy.
    really? I am running a kensai dual thief, singled handed // sword and shield scimetar grand mastery, it is heaven, get belm +2 imediately, as soon as you unlock kensai you get the +4 in 1 level of watcher's keep, then eat kangaxx once you have use any items, the scarlet ninja to is just... and all this before you get to spellhold :) I think fighter dual druid or thief, scimetar is the best choice for a solo party.