Skip to content

Real life class and stats

Comments

• jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    joluv said:

Sequence recognition tests crack me up. The answer to the first question is obviously 42, because the numbers given are the first five zeros of the polynomial x^6-82x^5+2244x^4-27110x^3+152231x^2-362904x+235620.

I've just burned another point of my intelligence trying to comprehend that... oh well need more strength to compensate
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2015
    The test gave me 15/16 Int and 19 Charisma...

STR 10 - I weigh 250 pounds, yet I am different as every joint in my arms and hands are "double jointed", I am not supposed to be able to do one pushup, but can do 40 in a row. Most of my strength is in my lower body. Using my legs I am able to push a truck uphill.
    DEX 12 - At 250 lbs, that is great considering I can sometimes be a klutz, just sometimes though, I rarely if ever break anything unless I am purposely messing with it.
    CON 15 - I once had a banana seat bike and was at one point a daredevil. I decided to go down the steepest trail I could find. A two part hill where one half was a quad trail at ~75 degrees and a road at ~55-60. So generally 30 to 40 km per hour downhill(I was able to pass a moving car with a 40km/h speed limit). They had laid fresh gravel on the road since the previous day when I had scouted it. My bike flipped over me and I slid 30 ft down the gravel road on my elbow and was stopped by a thick bush of thistles. At that young age I picked myself up and dragged myself a km home. I was of course crying at that age, but when I reached home my mother nearly had a panic attack due to the blood that was flowing from my arm and she never panics.
    INT 16 - The test did pretty well.
    WIS 16 - I do not say much, but when I have an opinion something, it is apparent I have put thought into it.
    CHA 19 - I really do not know why.

I took the test honestly and those are my scores.

Edit: Added things that do not fit into the test.
    Post edited by GemHound on
    edited October 2015

This D&D stat test actually tests your intelligence rather than letting you self-report it. It divides your intelligence score into two kinds of intelligence. When last I took it, I got 14/15.

It doesn't do as good a job with the other stats, as it relies on the usual self-reporting, but it tries really hard to be as objective as possible.

I'd recommend that those who think they have high intelligence take the test for that though, just to sort of "put your money where you mouth is."

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/back/xstattest.html

Cheers for this link Belgarath. I did the test honestly and got the following:

Str 15
    Dex 17
    Con 15
    Int 12
    Wis 11
    Cha 9

Bit gutted as Rangers need 14 wisdom iirc, though the rest of the stats seem fairly accurate to my first guess! I did feel some of the int test relied on education over raw intelligence, whilst a couple of the wisdom tests also seemed reliant on local knowledge of a sort, but otherwise the test was pretty enjoyable. Incidentally the 3d questions and iirc (it was many years ago) some of the others are used by British armed forced in their entry tests.
    GemHound said:

STR 10
    DEX 12
    CON 15
    INT 16
    WIS 16
    CHA 19

Clever and pretty. Still, I'd arm wrestle you...
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    GemHound said:

STR 10
    DEX 12
    CON 15
    INT 16
    WIS 16
    CHA 19

19 Charisma? Seriously? Have you considered a career in politics?
    @Onestep People around me say I should, yet I do not want to be a politician.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited October 2015
    Well, I guess I'll go with what Wizards said I was a few years ago for class.
    Character Portrait:
    This Baldurization was made by @Isandir
    Name: Ty
    Race: Half-Elf (Human/Sun Elf)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Class: Ranger - 2 Levels at the start

Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 10
    Constitution: 15
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 17
    Charisma: 14

Inventory:
    A short sword
    A composite bow
    A canteen
    A backpack
    A change of clothes
    Rations
    Post edited by GemHound on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thanks for all the replies! Interresting to read about your "RL" character :)
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    GemHound said:

Inventory:
    A short sword
    A composite bow
    A canteen
    A backpack
    A change of clothes
    Rations

Damn, I guess I am a Crazy Singing and Dancing Naked Elf Dude with a 60 Foot Rope. Good Job Matthew...
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    One thought.
    Determining stats with 3d6 goes for player characters. The character, what you makes will have 6 more stat points than an average person (in case of the bhaalspawn this number is more than 18 because of the 75 minimum stat rolls).
    So, average person has a stat total of: 6*9,5=57 (if 9-10 is average stat value).
    An average adventurer (player character) have a(n average) stat total of: 6*3d6=6*3*3,5=63.
    An average CharName has: (Now this is harder to calculate, than i thought, but let's say, that with an average 77 we underestimated that so:) 77. => 20 points more, than average person!

So i think, that seeing a 18 stat value, as a 1/216 percent of the population is a mistake. This value is only true for the adventurers, who are just a minor part of the population.

I hope i was clear.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    If you just throw out all 18d6 rolls under 75, then 55% of the remaining rolls will be 77 or more. So you're right on the money, @lolien. Of course, class-specific minimums make things more complicated.

I think I read somewhere (probably on these forums) something like "Out of every 1000 people, only __ are adventurers. Of those, __ are warriors, __ are rogues, __ are priests, and __ are wizards." I can't find it now. Are there generally accepted numbers to fill in those blanks?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    meagloth said:
    Quote from wiki:
    "The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. The bias was first experimentally observed by David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University in 1999. Dunning and Kruger attributed the bias to the metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. Their research also suggests that conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them also are easy for others.[1]

Dunning and Kruger have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others.""

Sounds like a low WIS score to me :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited October 2015
    Grum said:

Dexterity: 12 (Decent reflexes. Can shoot fairly well. Qualified with a rifle held together with duck tape...seriously. But nothing special.)

I know it's just an airsoft gun but I feel you on this one. That is, indeed, a $7 scope hot glued to the rail.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    meagloth said:

Grum said:

Dexterity: 12 (Decent reflexes. Can shoot fairly well. Qualified with a rifle held together with duck tape...seriously. But nothing special.)

I know it's just an airsoft gun but I feel you on this one. That is, indeed, a $7 scope hot glued to the rail.
    There is a small brotherhood of people who know the pain of shooting with a rifle (of any sort) that is duct taped together
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016
    Note: These Stats represent an assessment of where I was in my late 30s. Only fair I should think.

Strength ~~~~ 14 ~ Several years living in a community of Olympic-level atheletes. A leading Whitewater rafting company which also offered Bouldering, Mountain Biking, World Class Canoe&Kayak Clinics, Adventure Travel. I enjoyed Trail-running on the North Carolina[US]
    Appalachian Trail with 5lb hand weights. Would be higher but I am not that large 5'9~165lbs

Dexterity ~~~~ 12 ~ I do not consider myself all that coordinated. Hand-eye is good and I am very quick but my overall Body Sense is not above average.

Constitution ~~ 13 ~Health is good digestion strong but no more than 14 because if I do catch a heavy cold it has a tendency to linger.

Intelligence ~~ 16 ~ as per below.

S

@Onestep: Intelligence is not equal to IQ times 10. Intelligence, the 3-18 value that's standard in D&D, is generated by a 3d6 dice roll, which results in a bell curve (the middle values are very common; higher values get increasingly uncommon as you go up). IQ is also graded on a bell curve. People in the top ~2% of the population in terms of IQ have an IQ of about 130; people in the top ~0.5% of the population have an IQ of about 140. On a 3d6 dice roll, you've got a ~2% chance of rolling a 17 and a ~0.5% chance of rolling an 18.

So, if somebody's claiming to have an Intelligence of 16, that amounts to an IQ in the 120s, assuming we deem IQ and Intelligence to be measuring the same thing. Claiming a 16 Intelligence value is not claiming an IQ of 160... which is indeed extremely uncommon.

And for what it's worth, I know several people with IQs in the 120s, 130s, and 140s. A 120 is pretty common for a college grad; a 130 is pretty common for a professor or doctor.

Wisdom ~~~~~ 16 ~ Presbyterian Missionary Grandparents and in my 20s I played a prominent role in the American family of followers of one of the most well-known Spiritual figures from India that became cultural phenomena with the Woodstock generation. In the 1990s I moved on to Mahayana Buddhism as a connection with Japan [where my Mother grew up] has always been a part of my life experience. For example, I made a clay figurine of Buddha in my High School art Class. My residence is actually set up as a Tantric temple.

Charisma ~~~~ 12 ~ It may actually be somewhat higher as I feel very comfortable on Stage [having played leading roles in several amateur theatricals] and I also enjoy preparing and serving really good food for guests and family gatherings. But as the Tantric side of my nature unfolded that brought about an imperative demand for privacy in which one starts to lose track of the thread of most social gatherings and interactions. I do well interacting with groups but find one-on-one encounters generally unsatisfying.

So ~~ an 83pt roll. Sounds about right. :)

Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Ooo, I love these.

Test gives me...

STR: 15
    DEX: 15
    CON: 11
    INT: 17/16
    INT: 17
    WIS: 15
    CHA: 14 <- I lol'd.

I'm not sure I trust the second part of the Intelligence test, considering "having no friends" and "hating working with others" are clearly signs of my crippling misanthropy and social phobias as a result of being neurally atypical, but whatevs.

That said... I think I'd be pretty okay running that as a Half-Elf Mage/Cleric, actually. Too bad I trip over my own feet too often to be a gnome.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    According to the test:

Str - 14
    Con - 15
    Dex - 15
    Int - 15
    Wis - 16
    Cha - 11

Race: Human (though being a longer-lived race would be cool)

Alignment: Probably Neutral Good

Class: Some type of Cleric probably, maybe even a dual/multi. The only MMO I've ever really played was Star Wars: The Old Republic, and my favorite characters were healers. Plus Clerics get sweet buffs on top of that. My lower Strength could be augmented either via magical items or by my god. Not sure which god I'd devote myself to though.

Strength: My fiancée and I work out a couple times per week, and we eat healthy. I'm no body builder, but I feel like I'm in good shape strength wise.

Constitution: I rarely ever get sick (once a year, maybe). Pain typically doesn't bother me. My fiancée and I also do Spartan races (hence the working out a couple times per week, gotta stay in shape for those). The last one we did was just the past weekend in Temecula. It was 50 outside, raining the whole time, with 15-20mph winds and gusts even higher. Did over 5 miles running around the mountains in Temecula, cold and wet, but I felt great (it only sucked when the wind blew hard). When I ran across the finish line I was feeling good enough that I was like, "I could go again."

Dexterity - I was never an athlete as a child; from age 12 onward I preferred videogames indoors. However, I am still fairly well coordinated, can catch things easily, and can bend and touch my hands flat to the floor.

Intelligence - Every IQ test I've ever taken has placed me in the 130-135 range, so I'm not sure how that translates into the Intelligence score. I'm happy with a 15 though. Grades aren't exactly an indicator of intelligence, but I've always maintained mostly A's with few B's.

Wisdom - I feel mature and wise for my age. My friends regularly seek my advice when they need help. I love having things planned out well in advance (except essays...screw that pre-writing brainstorming garbage, I work better when I just sit down and let it flow). I'm pretty careful with my money as well.

Charisma - This one doesn't surprise me. I make friends easily. My social circle is pretty small right now, but that's mostly due to time constraints more than anything. When we first started dating and would go places, my fiancée commented on how we always ran into people who knew and loved me, wherever we went. All that said, I prefer not to be the center of attention, and don't try to influence others unless they ask for my help.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Race - Tarrasque, obviously. (More seriously, Easydamus pegs me as elf)

Class - Mage, probably Wild Mage. In general, I solve problems through a combination of logical analysis and just flat out educated guessing. I'm normally right, but sometimes I screw up in ludicrous ways.

Strength - Let's see; I don't work out very much, I'm generally bad at physically intensive abilities and I'm skinny as a stick. Let's put this at 7.

Constitution - Oh god, here goes. This has improved a lot over the years, but still probably not very high. I'll say 8.

Dexterity - Confusing. I'm naturally very flexible and have fast reflexes. However, my balance and fine motor skills are terrible. Let's just say 10.

Intelligence - Here we go! The only IQ test I've taken gives me a huge disrepancy between verbal and performance IQ, but D&D intelligence is mostly verbal, so yay for me! My verbal IQ tested at 127, on a day when I was 10 years old and had the flu. It's thought to be somewhere around 135 in ideal conditions. Performance IQ is about 70, by the way. Hard to say, because I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than Neera, maybe even Edwin or Baeloth, but I think the BG mages have exxaggerated INT scores. I'm going with 17.

Wisdom - Wisdom meadures so many bloody things. I'm good at giving advice, bad at following advice, emotionally controlled and mature but occasionally volatile. My intuition and educated guesses are very on point, but I'm oblivious to my surroundings. I'm very philisophically skilled and self-aware. I guess my wisdom is high in theory but low in practice? Let's just put this at 12.

Charisma - Here we go again. I'm often called both funny and attractive. Then again, I've also heard Elvis is living on a moon made of cheese performing rock music for aliens, so who knows what people think? I have little social skills, but make up for it with a kind of magnetic, off the wall enthusiasm and humour. Essentially, you know that awkward nerd charm guy that no one thinks exists outside of a sitcom? I'm that guy in real life. I'll put this at 11.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    How would I describe myself?

3rd lvl - Neutral - Dwarf - Jester,

.. with 8 CHA,

.. and innate fatigue :unamused:
    edited February 2016