Skip to content

Real life class and stats

Comments

• RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @Skatan thanks! but nah..my Ma says that I just need to lvl up :thumbup:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

So, attending to the test, I'll say I'm closer to a rabid chicken from the poultry store.

Right now I'm watching a Bob's Burgers about a deranged turkey attack.

This must mean something!
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Kilivitz said:
    @Kilivitz
    Your wisdom score must be 25, because that is easily the most insightful and applicable post I have ever read.

I think I work with a guy or two who may actually be able to be clinically diagnosed with that problem.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    lunar said:

str 6
    dex 8
    con 7
    int 15/13 =14
    wis 13
    cha 12

Wow I suck.

Con 7? :(
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I would definately use you as a NPC, M/Cs are fantastic! If you could find another good and somewhat law abiding gnome with thief skills then me, you and him/her would cruise through BG2 vanilla!

I too find it impossible to be fair in a BG setting stat discussion about real life people. But I think the game itself has a hard time sticking to the rules. Keldorn for example has 17 charisma and good wisdom and still might very well come to blows with a neutral character the first time you meet him, in fact every paladin needs 17 charisma. Are they really that socially gifted? Or are they just really really pretty?

When discussing strength I find it hard not to think of jaheira, she has a pretty high score. Would you rate her higher than almost every man you know? How many women do you know irl that are stronger than most men who visits the gym on a regular basis? Are half-elves stronger than normal humans? Aren't elves in general supposed to be a little on the frail side?

The description of int that ppl quote from the rulebooks is a lost cause pretty much, I try to view it as the regular bell curve distribution. Maybe not strictly correct according to DnD, but again the game shows you quite a few NPCs with 16+ int scores that at least don't strike me as something special. At the same time our beloved Jan invents all kinds of OP gadgets at a measly 16... And I never use Edvin since he is evil, but with an average wis and charisma and his stellar int, should he really be messing with tomes he knows nothing about for example? I know I wouldn't.

Judging YOUR rl stats according to a wall of text in a thread about bg2 is ofc impossible. But from your reasoning I would at least put your wis a bit higher. But maybe you're prone to a lot of really stupid and rash decision irl, I wouldnt know. I also didn't think charisma could be that low on someone who is even barely tolerated in society... Int, as previously mentioned, seems to be measured very differently by different ppl.
    @Otherguy
    I agree with you %100, and have always wondered why Paladins, who are supposed to be the most likable, self-sacrificing people in D&D are so frequently portrayed as self-serving, pompous jerks. But that aside, there are some pretty scummy people out there who have a lot of followers, so maybe I'm just interpreting the stats wrong.

I really like what you have to say. I never thought about BG and AD&D itself not sticking to the rules. Maybe I should reconsider some of my stats.

My nerdy brain just loves thinking about these kind of D&D to real-life comparisons. And I definitely agree @semiticgod that if you subtracted at least 2 (maybe more depending on the npc) from every joinable npc stat, it would be much closer to how I interpret what the stats are supposed to represent.

But then in order to survive the game, you might have to subract 2 from every enemy as well. Then it would all be the same in the end, I don't know.

@Skatan started this post wondering how we percieve our own AD&D stats and character classes. The above summary of my stats are how I perceived them to be before I considered that AD&D doesn't stick to their own rules. I probably low-balled myself, but it was still fun.

Whether or not they are accurate is another matter that is impossible to determine regardless of if anyone here knew me in real life (or anyone else for that matter). Who knows? Maybe my confidence is too blame (see my description of wisdom). I do currently believe that my physical stats are as accurate as I can get them, because they are at least measurable to some extent. The other 3 mental stats are open to interpretation and may be completely wrong. It is true that 5 cha is only 2 points above being able to just barely distinguish yourself from other human beings.

I will have to think about this some more (yay, more fun!).
    I also never even considered what you had to say about Jaheira, @Otherguy. That is a really great point. Hmm... I will have to think about that some more, too (I forgot to mention it in what I just posted).

Maybe I should DM a D&D game with character who all have normal stats. That actually sounds pretty fun and challenging.

I would have to find the right people to play with, though. I can hear it now: "WHAT?! My wizard only gets 12 intelligence??!!" "That's right, he's very intelligent." "'Very intelligent'?? I'll give YOU 'very intelligent'!!"
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Even the stats in baldurs gate aren't that important. Perfectly possible to complete the game with completely average characters.

Also, one of the less tangible stats here is wisdom. I think it was Aristotle who wrote a considerable amount about wisdom and was always of the opinion that those who define themselves as wise were not generally and were instead missing the point that only when you're smart enough to begin noticing how little you actually know are you approaching anywhere near "wise", which I think he meant to be a paradox!
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Svar, me (gnome F/M) you and mashedtaters (gnome M/C) would cruise through BG2 even with SCS. You might wanna consider standing in the background or shadows til we get the con belt though. Your strength isn't really much of an issue between str spell and the glove/belts.

You wouldnt consider changing into gnome though? All the real weirdos are gnomes after all!
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Otherguy said:

Svar, me (gnome F/M) you and mashedtaters (gnome M/C) would cruise through BG2 even with SCS. You might wanna consider standing in the background or shadows til we get the con belt though. Your strength isn't really much of an issue between str spell and the glove/belts.

You wouldnt consider changing into gnome though? All the real weirdos are gnomes after all!

Now I kinda want to start up a multiplayer playthrough just to see how that would pan out.

I'm too tall and lanky to think of myself as a gnome, haha. Besides, gnomes have a society and culture to belong to, whereas half-elves don't fully belong anywhere, really, and elves even have a number of slurs for half-elves, which is an unpleasantness I can relate to.

@Svar Actually, you underestimate the power of scouting. You are nimble and quiet, so you would be great at infiltration. Your role would be something of a spy. Definitely invaluable :)

I can't believe so many people here are coming out with such low CON scores :(

I suppose. I could also do typical mage things, like stand way in the back and spam Magic Missile and accidentally singe my companions with Fireball, haha.
    @Svar @Otherguy
    We will be like the B-team of baldur's gate: the back-up plan after Charname, Minsc, and Jaheira all kick the bucket. Instead of reloading when the bhaalspawn dies, you have to try to finish the game with a silly group made up of gnomes and a half-elf.
    @Nimran could probably join us as the reformed xvart/gibberling.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

@Nimran could probably join us as the reformed xvart/gibberling.

It's not easy being blue...
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373

I can't believe so many people here are coming out with such low CON scores :(

Well you are in a forum for d&d nerds :smiley:
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2016
    I took the test and got:

Strength: 13
    This seems about right. I go to the gym quite a bit and while people tell me the weights I can lift are pretty good, I don't think I'm that far above the norm.

Dexterity: 11
    Again, fairly accurate. I have pretty fast hands and am quite surefooted but I'm not anything to phone home about.

Constitution: 15
    I'm very rarely sick, I eat well, exercise, and focus a lot on my health so I can agree with this. I have two sleeves of tattoos and my artist even commented that my pain tolerance was high.

Intelligence: 11/10 = 11
    This surprises me. I've typically performed quite well in school and, particularly in liberal arts university classes, get told I grasp advanced concepts quickly. I've moved into a mathier (that's a word, right?) major and I'm still doing ok.

Wisdom: 12
    Again, this surprises me. I'm literally the guy everyone goes to advice for. I very rarely make rash decisions and I've been described as mature since I was 13.

Charisma: 15
    I've never thought of myself as charismatic. In small groups or one-on-one sessions I do well, but I don't make friends quickly or easily. I tend to just be really polite and generally nice to get by.

I've always thought of myself as an elf (a little arrogant but not mean, someone who appreciates art and music, and a person who loves nature.) As far as classes go, I've had people tell me I'm empathetic and I know I have a good sense of right and wrong. Ideally I'd be a druid, kind of like Jaheira, who participates both in the wild and civilized worlds. As a back up, I think I'd make a good cleric.

So, who would take me as a party member? I suppose if I ended up as a meatshield you could just give me the dex gauntlets and I'd be an ok tank.

Edit: Never mind the Khalid comment I had made.
    Post edited by Empyrial on
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @jesterdesu To hell with stereotypes! >:(

(Apart from gnomes loving turnips. We all know that's true.)

@jesterdesu To hell with stereotypes! >:(

(Apart from gnomes loving turnips. We all know that's true.)

Actually turnips are pretty freaking good, if they are prepared right. (Insert nonsensical gibberish that sounds smart but really isn't, and makes your eyes hurt reading it: blah blah blah blah, more blah)