Skip to content

Star Wars Episode 7 (spoilers)

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2015
    In other words: https://storify.com/kilivitz/star-wars-episode-vii

(Apparently you can't embed Storify stories in here)
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

I find this difficult because one of my main complaints is that all of the spoilers that I've seen online did taint the experience somewhat

@the_spyderi feel that this is you're mistake. I haven't seen a single spoiler because I haven't went looking, that and I dont pay attention. Was I key in on specific words, I start to tune out on a conscious level.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    DragonKing, easy when your not online or around people. Ive seen it Thursday, not many have seen it by then. The next day, spoilers were everywhere.
    Top youtube comments, facebook, workplace, etc.
    Some people are oblivous that it may spoil it for some. others are just trolling.

Great movie, JJ couldnt have done it better!
    The people that criticizethat the movie is to conservative would have also complained if the movie did to much in a new direction.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @DragonKing - most of the spoilers that I came across were not looked for, they merely showed up on forums like this one and others that I frequent. And all of them were prior to Thursday night's release. I specifically avoided the internet like the plague starting Wednesday with only a very few exceptions.

Plus, I am a fan of the whole extended universe that was and so my mind was racing to guestimate what overlaps there might be and what might actually make it into the new canon. So at least part of the issue was my own enthusiasm towards the universe at large.

but you are right in that I only have myself to blame mostly.
    Yamcha said:

The people that criticizethat the movie is to conservative would have also complained if the movie did to much in a new direction.

I agree that haters are going to find something to hate on no matter how good a thing is. Which doesn't discount honest points of view, but yeah. There are going to be detractors merely so that they can detract.

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I just came back from the cinema and need a moment to process this o.o
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    They totally missed a great line of dialogue that should have been in the movie.

When Rey comes back to see the general, Rey should have said "He's gone".

And Leia should have said "I know."

Seriously, how great would that have been? Would have worked on multiple levels. Missed opportunity.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    My wife literally expelled me from home two days after our son was born so that at least one of us would get to watch it on launch day... We actually had bought the tickets three months ago 1 :wink:

Let me just say that it was the first Star Wars Movie in a long time that actually felt like Star Wars :) I'll say no more even if it's a spoiler allowed thread :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Fardragon said:

Personally, I would rank them

1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. …
    6. …
    7. …
    8. The prequel movies.

But I agree with pretty much everything else.

IMO it's
    1. Empires Strikes Back (THE plot twist movie of ALL times!)
    2. A New Hope & Return of the Jedi (I still can't decide, LOL!)
    3. Blade Runner (hey, it's not Star Wars!)
    4. ...
    5. ...
    6. ...
    7. ...
    8. ... The prequel movies.

Actually, my feeling are the same as @killerrabbit, the movie doesn't explain much, and the characters fight better than Master Yoda when they had never seen a Lightsaber before (also, if Rey could because she's THAT strong with the force, I'd understand that, but Finn? That was weird), and then, it TERRIBLY lacked a Ben Kenobi figure. I had expected Luke to fulfil that role, but it did not happen. Han's yellow-smurf friend had some knowledge, but she couldn't even say where the F*** she got Anakin's/Luke's 1st Lightsaber, since it was dropped by Luke while he fought Vader in Bespin on Episode V.

DragonKing - most of the spoilers that I came across were not looked for, they merely showed up on forums like this one and others that I frequent. And all of them were prior to Thursday night's release. I specifically avoided the internet like the plague starting Wednesday with only a very few exceptions.

I watched the movie without having seen the trailer at all. I wanted no spoilers, but my best friend had the idea to send me a Skype message saying[spoiler=WARNING]( han only dies )[/spoiler]I actually didn't believe him until[spoiler=WARNING]both Mr. Ren and Han were holding the Lightsaber[/spoiler]and I already told him that what he did sucked (and that he sucks too, as well). I think it repeated A New Hope too much, IMO the[spoiler=WARNING]"the enemy's going to blow us all up, so we have to destroy their planet destroyer weapon before it shoots" and the "look, shoot here and it explodes" tropes were overused (I thought the same when I saw The Return of the Jedi (whenever that was xD), anyway), as well as the "must get into enemy base to save the lady and disable smth" trope.[/spoiler]Other than that, I think it was pretty nice. IMO, the best part was Chewie's Rage, it's like, who won't have done that? Also, when he blew up the charges, I thought he had died too, I almost shouted out "Nooooo, Chewie, not you two not both of you noooooooooooooooo" and thought that until I saw the MF appear before Rey.

Plus, I am a fan of the whole extended universe that was and so my mind was racing to guestimate what overlaps there might be and what might actually make it into the new canon. So at least part of the issue was my own enthusiasm towards the universe at large.

Being a EU fan just made the movie harder to understand IMO.[spoiler=WARNING]In a moment I was like "Where are Han and Leia's other children? Where's Mara? Oh right, EU is not canon anymore. Oh shit."[/spoiler]

They totally missed a great line of dialogue that should have been in the movie.

When Rey comes back to see the general, Rey should have said "He's gone".

And Leia should have said "I know."

Seriously, how great would that have been? Would have worked on multiple levels. Missed opportunity.

Actually, I felt completely the opposite. I think that it was done perfectly as-is. Anyway. ;p
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Doesn't Maz (who I'm pretty sure is orange) say that it was too long a story to explain how she came by the lightsabre, not that she didn't know? Found by cleaners on Bespin then being sold and bought several times seems very likely.
    CrevsDaak said:

Being a EU fan just made the movie harder to understand IMO.[spoiler=WARNING]In a moment I was like "Where are Han and Leia's other children? Where's Mara? Oh right, EU is not canon anymore. Oh shit."[/spoiler]

I get that. For me personally I knew that the EU would no longer be canon, so I didn't expect anything to come of it. There was one point where I thought they could have given a nod to the EU but didn't. I felt that was a missed opportunity.
    There are lots of nods to the EU (for example, this is the first time the Millennium Falcon has been explicitly described as a YT Corellian Freighter outside of books). They just changed the things that didn't suit the story.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2015
    It wouldn't surprise me if some of the EU makes it to canon.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Despite the fact that I, like @CrevsDaak , think the film needed a Ben Kenobi figure and despite the fact that I think the costume department needed to make Daisy Ridley look like someone who grew up in a desert I've seen the movie twice. I can't see how anyone who liked the first three could dislike this movie. I can't decide whether it was the 3rd best or 4th best.

If I were to phantom edit it I would splice in some parts of Luke's training as ethereal voices -- just like Luke heard when he was attacking the death star -- "let go, trust your feelings". Then we would know how Rey was able to handle a light sabre so well. Dream sequences would be better but I probably couldn't manage that with a video editing program.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2015
    mlnevese said:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the EU makes it to cannon.

I honestly don't know how it can. The core of the expanded universe hinges on Han and Leia's children and Luke's relationship with Mara. That is just gone, no way around it. While it may be great to have new Star Wars movies, decades of material now have to be considered completely obsolete. And the Expanded Universe wasn't a small operation. From the time of the Timothy Zahn novels, to the Dark Empire comics, the video games, the New Jedi Order series, hell, even with all the prequel related books and projects, it was all meant to hold together. That's gone now, if you really care about Star Wars (which I don't nearly as much as I used to). But the fact is, a movie like "The Force Awakens" is probably worth more than all that material combined. But when you think of the countless artists who worked on those novels, comics, and games, it is kind of sad to see it thrown in the dumpster.
    Fardragon said:

There are lots of nods to the EU (for example, this is the first time the Millennium Falcon has been explicitly described as a YT Corellian Freighter outside of books). They just changed the things that didn't suit the story.

which begs the question why they didn't use a different name for Kylo Ren.
    mlnevese said:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the EU makes it to cannon.

I think that Disney is more than likely wanting their own canon. Certainly they have been getting into the books in no small way. I would hope that some of the ideas at least have shadows of those stories.

I personally would like to see Timothy Zahn write something for the new canon. His stories were among my personal favorites of the EU.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    I just got back from the theatre. I'd give it an 7.8/10. Its better than the prequels but worse than the originals (and I even watched Return of the Jedi yesterday as a lead up to this). Basically just comes across as a rehashed ep 4.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2015
    I know alot of people complained about what Blizzard did with Warcraft lore in the most recent expansion. But what now exists between official canon and the nearly infinite Expanded Universe in Star Wars is just a total mess that makes Warlords of Draenor look like a Steinbach novel in comparison. Granted, 90% of Star Wars fans don't give two shakes of a lamb's tale about the later, but as someone who grew up reading the earliest novels once they got a continuous story going (I think I actually started with a fairly terrible trilogy called the Black Fleet Crisis) it's a little sad to see it take this route.
    mlnevese said:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the EU makes it to canon.

Some of it already has: Rakata Prime and Onderon are on the official TFA galaxy map.

Fardragon said:

which begs the question why they didn't use a different name for Kylo Ren.
    In order to avoid revealing spoilers months in advance.