Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Mirandel said:

Mirandel said:

It might be useful to place BSW mods on Nexus, for example. Then current (for BSW) versions would be available at any given time.

All this has been discussed after the last SHS downtime (which was some weeks). The thing is that BWS is just a tool to install mods (and help you download them). It does not provide a mod database, nor can it. Where a mod is hosted is sole decision of the mad maker. Having a copy somewhere will create a lot of consistency problems for mods that are still maintained and updated.
    A lot of modders have moved their mods to github now, but you cannot force anyone to do that. Still, SHS is better than putting mods on some download sites that require interactions or that delete mods that are not downloaded for some time period. BWS cannot handle such stuff at all.
    Missed that discussion and totally understand the problem, but (!) still not convinced. Tool as it is, BWS provides list of the mods it supports and means to resolve conflicts between those mods of particular versions. Too many times I personally had "the version is supposed to be N but you have N+1 - should we apply BSW patch anyway?" lines. BSW is always a step behind (for understandable reasons). Should BSW had it's own place (page on Nexus, which already exists, btw) with collection of supported mod's versions also right there - those conflicts would never exist. After all, all modders agreed to participate in BSW, why would anyone refuse to see one of the version of their mods available for download on another mirror?
    Sorry, I am just the messenger here, neither being a modder myself nor being involved in BWS. I am player of mods and user of BWS and have kept track of those discussions. The involvement of modders with BWS overall is a passive one, they let the tool do its stuff but are rarely contributing to it. A few care to tell the maintainers when they change a download link or update a version, but most don't even do that. Like you said *BSW is always a step behind*, and this is because the guys doing the updates are not automatically aware of those changes until someone tells them. It's not that there is One Big Family out there that takes care of THE modding scene but more a couple of them consisting of many individuals who do their thing. This is also reflected in the facts that not all mods are compatible with each other and sometimes contents and functionality overlaps or contradicts.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Mirandel nexus i unacceptable because ads, the requirements of having account in order to download mods and bandwidth limitation unless you pay.
    why would anyone refuse to see one of the version of their mods available for download on another mirror?

You have missed last 15 years of BG modding history. Try to mirror one of kulok's mod and watch the fireworks. Lucky for us, some mod authors was grown-up enough to allow people to maintain/fix/modernize their old mods.

The 'hosting issue' was discussed many times, last time here, where i propose to move shs downloads to github: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56645-updating-big-world-setup-does-community-needs-it/
    SHS admins liked the idea but lack of actions from them is one of the reasons for me to abandon BWS.

Github was a wonderful hosting not only for BWS but also for modders, kudos to all of them who learn and use it.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2017
    And what a pity it is! :( But what can we do here... Not-modders can only pray for all the mod sites stability, I guess.

I believe, I did miss it all, @ALIEN . And from you just said (really? that bad?) I am glad I did. Not going to start the war all over again, of course. Github it is for those caring about community.
  • StongaStonga Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Does the latest version of BWS have correct links to all the latest versions of the "recommended" mods? I didn't get any errors after the installation, but when I check current mods in my download folder, several mods are missing or have the wrong archive size.

Edit: I'm talking about BGEE mods only.

I have attached the install log which tells me everything was installed correctly, but the mod check debug i ran afterwards tell me that some mods in the download folder is missing or have the wrong file size.
    Stonga said:

Does the latest version of BWS have correct links to all the latest versions of the "recommended" mods? I didn't get any errors after the installation, but when I check current mods in my download folder, several mods are missing or have the wrong archive size.

I have attached the install log which tells me everything was installed correctly, but the mod check debug i ran afterwards tell me that some mods in the download folder is missing or have the wrong file size.

According to your logs everything was installed just fine.

You can do a final check in your Weidu.log
    See if you find
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #10 // A Warm Place for Noober
    ~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu, BGT, and BG:EE
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

Find those and everything's ok.
  • StongaStonga Member Posts: 17

Stonga said:

According to your logs everything was installed just fine.

You can do a final check in your Weidu.log
    See if you find
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #10 // A Warm Place for Noober
    ~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu, BGT, and BG:EE
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

Find those and everything's ok.
    All 3 lines is in the WeiDU.log file. I guess everything should be working as intended then?
    Why do the mod check debug log show missing and or wrong archive size on some mods?
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    Although I've used Big World Setup before, this is my first time using it with the enhanced editions. If I'm doing an EET install including SOD, should I still launch the game through Beamdog client and would I only need to launch BG2EE for the entire trilogy? Thanks!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    After a Big World-EET install can I install some other mods not listed in BWS?

I'm specifically talking about: Bardic Wonders, True Beserker Minsc, FG Cleric Kits, NPC Kitpack (all components have failed during the BW install), Lost Druid, Hivemaster, Faerunian Monastic Orders, Palemaster, Unofficial Item Pack, More Style For Mages and Bearwalker (that I didn't notice how awesome it is before starting the installation).

Talking about installation, mine is taking five hours and counting. Currently, it is installing the SCS components. Is it normal?

Thanks!
    JiveOne said:

Although I've used Big World Setup before, this is my first time using it with the enhanced editions. If I'm doing an EET install including SOD, should I still launch the game through Beamdog client and would I only need to launch BG2EE for the entire trilogy? Thanks!

You launch EET games either from the desktop shortcut EET has created or from Baldur.exe in the BG2EE folder. You will get a selection screen with the choices where you want to start the game (BG1, SoD,SoA, ToB or pits). You can then continue seamlessly from whereever you started to the end (exceüt pits of course).
    Raduziel said:

After a Big World-EET install can I install some other mods not listed in BWS?

I'm specifically talking about: Bardic Wonders, True Beserker Minsc, FG Cleric Kits, NPC Kitpack (all components have failed during the BW install), Lost Druid, Hivemaster, Faerunian Monastic Orders, Palemaster, Unofficial Item Pack, More Style For Mages and Bearwalker (that I didn't notice how awesome it is before starting the installation).

Talking about installation, mine is taking five hours and counting. Currently, it is installing the SCS components. Is it normal?

Thanks!

SCS takea a long time. That's SCS design and the mod makers will not change it. Duration depends on which of the really big components you selected. It's possible to pause BWS before SCS, install the monster manually and then unpause BWS - it can be sader and faster, but depends on the rest of your choices.

You can add mods to the BWS and EET afterwards, but with kit mods be careful and look at the readme's as they often have dependencies. Also some mods like F&P or M&G if you have them anticipate that kits are installed first, otherwise you may get odd behaviour.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited June 2017
    I remember using this tool before, and I had the option of not making it an EET install. I just want to mod BG2 without BG1 or EET, how can I do that now?

fuck I'm fucking dumb fuck.

I remember using this tool before, and I had the option of not making it an EET install. I just want to mod BG2 without BG1 or EET, how can I do that now?

Who am I to disagree...
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

Actually, at some point recently BWS did not allow to modify only BG2EE. Probably was fixed by now, but it well could be the case for you.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    What is the need for EET? I know BGT was great back in the day, but both of them have been enhanced to roughly he same level of quality. All I see when I look at EET is a more limited selection of mods.
    edited June 2017

What is the need for EET? I know BGT was great back in the day, but both of them have been enhanced to roughly he same level of quality. All I see when I look at EET is a more limited selection of mods.

Modders are still in the process to make their work compatible with EET. Like they once did for BGT. There is no restrictions for mods on EET it just needs a few extra lines of code in the mods to recognise EET.

BTW - EET has far more functionality than BGT(+Tobex) ever had.
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    Hey guys I've been playing with BWS for a while now, and have made a mod and component list which I very much enjoy. Now, I want to play with the monastic orders of faerun mod, which adds some kits to monks, as well as some items. When I install it after my bws install, the kits are not visible, however the changes it makes to the vanilla monk kit do work. But, the descriptions are not updated either. When is the best time to install a kit mod when running bws? I tried installing it before but it gives me the error that there are already mods installed and the bws installation cancels. At what moment during the BWS install do I install it? I've been installing it afterwards, and get the above mentioned problems.
    edited June 2017

Hey guys I've been playing with BWS for a while now, and have made a mod and component list which I very much enjoy. Now, I want to play with the monastic orders of faerun mod, which adds some kits to monks, as well as some items. When I install it after my bws install, the kits are not visible, however the changes it makes to the vanilla monk kit do work. But, the descriptions are not updated either. When is the best time to install a kit mod when running bws? I tried installing it before but it gives me the error that there are already mods installed and the bws installation cancels. At what moment during the BWS install do I install it? I've been installing it afterwards, and get the above mentioned problems.

This question is better asked to the mod maker of monastic orders mod. They would know about dependencies of their mod as it is not yet included in the BWS. (This is done when a modder requests it and provides the necessary details needed by BWS).
    In general, you can manually insert a mod in a running BWS installation. Pause BWS at the point in sequence that appears to be adequate (e.g. when other kits are installed). Wait for it to finish the mod it currently works on. Make your manual install, Continue BWS.
    Why doing it at the end does not work for you may have a number of reasons but that cannot be determined without knowing details of your install and the new mod.
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    If the Mod is EET compatible, you could expand your BWS selection via View -> Sort in install order. If you see another KIt in the install list just right click and Pause before installing. Install the mod you want. Resume BWS.

If the Mod is EET compatible, you could expand your BWS selection via View -> Sort in install order. If you see another KIt in the install list just right click and Pause before installing. Install the mod you want. Resume BWS.

thanks, didn't know about that. Unfortunately getting the same result :<
    Had a look through the tp2 file for MoF and ran the mod through the EET Converter. If you drop this onto the mod folder it should install/work. Change log file will tell you what was needed for EET
  • billy3billy3 Member Posts: 5
    I tried using BWS to add mods to BG2EE, but I couldn't find the VecnaV23 mod listed. I do see a vecna.ini file in BigWorldSetup\BiG World Setup\Config\Global\

This is the contents of the file:
    [Mod] Name=Vecna Rev=23 Type=T,E Link=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=880 Down=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=880 Save=VecnaV23.rar Size=376157906 Tra=EN:0,RU:1 Wiki=Vecna_Artifacts [WeiDU-EN] @0=Vecna @1=Modification of NPCs and strongholds quests. @2=G3 Lv50 and Grand Mastery Patch. Tra=0 [WeiDU-RU] @0=Vecna @1=Modification of NPCs and strongholds quests. @2=G3 Lv50 and Grand Mastery Patch. Tra=1 [Description] Mod-EN=38 new areas to explore, many new monsters, spells, and new animations to experience. Getting your hands on those artifacts in now a much harder prospect. This mod is here for testing. Mod-GE=Dieser Mod fьhrt Vecnas Artefakte mit umfangreichen Beschreibungen hinzu. Um die Gegenstдnde zu erlangen, mьssen in circa 40 neuen Gebieten eine Menge unterschiedlicher Monster besiegt werden. Mod-RU=Этот мод - первое высокоуровневое приключение, втягивающее партию в войну между богами и созданиями, которых они боятся. Он включает свыше 50 новых локаций, множество новых существ, заклинаний и новою анимацию, что должно существенно продлить время прохождения игры. Некоторые части мода все еще находятся на стадии разработки, но основная сюжетная линия уже завершена, откорректирована и изменениям не подлежит. Уровень сложности этого мода - самый тяжелый, это настоящий вызов для игроков, но и вознаграждение будет достойным. Рекомендуется партия 20+ уровня, управляемая опытным игроком. Чтобы начать мод, поговорите со скрытной фигурой в здании Совета Шести, требующей вашего внимания.
  • joshua15502joshua15502 Member Posts: 9

hi there
    thank your for this great project . it make modding so much more convient.
    but i have met some promblem here ,as the pic above.
    my system is win10 64

looking forward to any advice .
    thank you !
    billy3 said:

I tried using BWS to add mods to BG2EE, but I couldn't find the VecnaV23 mod listed. I do see a vecna.ini file in BigWorldSetup\BiG World Setup\Config\Global\

This is the contents of the file:
    [Mod] Name=Vecna Rev=23 Type=T,E Link=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=880 Down=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=880 Save=VecnaV23.rar Size=376157906 Tra=EN:0,RU:1 Wiki=Vecna_Artifacts [WeiDU-EN] @0=Vecna @1=Modification of NPCs and strongholds quests. @2=G3 Lv50 and Grand Mastery Patch. Tra=0 [WeiDU-RU] @0=Vecna @1=Modification of NPCs and strongholds quests. @2=G3 Lv50 and Grand Mastery Patch. Tra=1 [Description] Mod-EN=38 new areas to explore, many new monsters, spells, and new animations to experience. Getting your hands on those artifacts in now a much harder prospect. This mod is here for testing. Mod-GE=Dieser Mod fьhrt Vecnas Artefakte mit umfangreichen Beschreibungen hinzu. Um die Gegenstдnde zu erlangen, mьssen in circa 40 neuen Gebieten eine Menge unterschiedlicher Monster besiegt werden. Mod-RU=Этот мод - первое высокоуровневое приключение, втягивающее партию в войну между богами и созданиями, которых они боятся. Он включает свыше 50 новых локаций, множество новых существ, заклинаний и новою анимацию, что должно существенно продлить время прохождения игры. Некоторые части мода все еще находятся на стадии разработки, но основная сюжетная линия уже завершена, откорректирована и изменениям не подлежит. Уровень сложности этого мода - самый тяжелый, это настоящий вызов для игроков, но и вознаграждение будет достойным. Рекомендуется партия 20+ уровня, управляемая опытным игроком. Чтобы начать мод, поговорите со скрытной фигурой в здании Совета Шести, требующей вашего внимания.

This mod has been last updated in 2011.
    It is not compatible with EE and thus not listed in BWS for BG2EE.
    @hackinslash awesome thanks! Just started a re-install but... now BWS is pooping out giving me an error when I start it:

"There is a problem wit the internal configuration files. The BWS\Config\User.ini indicates that your current game type is "BG2EE" but no mathcing configuration was found. Please try restarting BWS using "with updates" to get the latest files;if that fails, please report this problem."

Its weird, because yesterday I did 5 different installs of BWS trying to get the monastic orders mod to work, and it never gave me this message. Wanted to try it with the new files thanks to @hackinslash and now I get this the moment I start up BWS.

I have the games backed up on steam and every time I reinstalled them I used the steam back ups of the games.

I'll start with a new BWS install and see if that works.

Something went wrong in a BWS update 12 hours ago. Looks like they are working on fixing it right now. Shouldn't be too long, they might just go back to the previous version.
    When BWS is working and MoF installs @billy_pilgrim would you mind sending that zip to the mod maker? I've converted Wings to EET but haven't tried it yet to see if it works.
    @hackinslash sure, no problem!
    BWS is fixed.
    @hackinslash it worked!
    @billy_pilgrim That's great to hear. If you open up your EET folder and open 'Other' you'll find what I used to convert this mod.