Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

If the Mod is EET compatible, you could expand your BWS selection via View -> Sort in install order. If you see another KIt in the install list just right click and Pause before installing. Install the mod you want. Resume BWS.

The question is how reliable it is? One example: NPC mods - Sirene and VerrSza. BWS when sorting files in installation order suggests to first install VerrSza (as a more resent mod?) and then Sirene. But (!) VerrSza-mod contains part that can only be installed if you already have Sirene (cross-mod banters).

Do hope it is only one very special case, but mistakes happen.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Mirandel said:

If the Mod is EET compatible, you could expand your BWS selection via View -> Sort in install order. If you see another KIt in the install list just right click and Pause before installing. Install the mod you want. Resume BWS.

The question is how reliable it is? One example: NPC mods - Sirene and VerrSza. BWS when sorting files in installation order suggests to first install VerrSza (as a more resent mod?) and then Sirene. But (!) VerrSza-mod contains part that can only be installed if you already have Sirene (cross-mod banters).

This is a vicious circle in those mods as Sirene herself contains crossmod for White and VerrSza?
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    If it conflicts like this maybe let them know on the BWS thread at SHS and see if they can swap the order around? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/
    edited June 2017

Mirandel said:

This is a vicious circle in those mods as Sirene herself contains crossmod for White and VerrSza?
    In this particular case dialogs with Sirene came with VerrSza (as authors work together on many mods), I just do not exclude possibility that pure mechanical distribution (by mod's release date or any other) might cause mistakes during installation of other mods. Still, as a guide for the mod's order installation it's the best (the only in truth) that exists.

@hackinslash I will. It's such a minor report, but if you think it can help...
    Post edited by Mirandel on
    I haven't used all of these so haven't come across this. There's also a chance that the people now maintaining BWS haven't used these NPC's either.

edited June 2017

I haven't used all of these so haven't come across this. There's also a chance that the people now maintaining BWS haven't used these NPC's either.

As the report now reads at SHS, it looks like BWS wasn't even used here to install but @Mirandel read the BWS install sequence (or she thought she did) to do a manual install. And she simply looked at the wrong place for it.
    Actually, no, I looked in the right place :) Because many times it was said "use BWS pfd file as a guide-line for mod installation order".

But it also was the wrong place, since BWS is using (as I learned now) different order for installation of different parts of the mods. Though, manual installation in this manner is impossible, so, following THAT order simply can not be done.
    edited June 2017
    Mirandel said:

Actually, no, I looked in the right place :) Because many times it was said "use BWS pfd file as a guide-line for mod installation order".

Yes, this is said in many places BUT there is no such thing as a BWS Pdf file.
    The famous pdf was part of BWP, which is a mod install tool but not one for EE games. It is a solid description of mods, their contents and the install order in modded installs for the old games, especially big modded games for BGT. It was updated on a roughly yearly basis, we will only know if it still is when a new release may be made. The current BWP is outdated and does not provide a basis for EE.

All of this is not BWS. (see first post of this topic)

From Roxanne: "The BWS install is based on that BWP experience." So, @hackinslash advise was very reasonable. But now I know better and will use that file - select.ini . Hope, it will solve incompatibility once and for all.
    Mirandel said:

From Roxanne: "The BWS install is based on that BWP experience." So, @hackinslash advise was very reasonable. But now I know better and will use that file - select.ini . Hope, it will solve incompatibility once and for all.

I see that the fine differences are not obvious and maybe I just know them from having used BWP for many years in the old games and then BWS which was released later. Even the names are pretty similar. And the very first BWS was more or less a further automation of BWP. But that is history, and most likely what your source was referring to. Yes, and it's pretty confusing.
    BWS and BWP are totally different beasts.

BWS and BWP are totally different beasts.

It is best to phrase it this way, anything else leads to more confusion. There is a core module in BWS install task that is inherited from BWP, just like the original install sequences for BGT, BG1 and BG2. None of that is relevant for EE games. Plus the additional functionality in BWS etc, etc. BWS and BWP are totally different beasts today.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I've probably missed the obvious, but how do I change certain components once I've installed it? The only way I can see is, having to delete the modded versions of the game, and then reinstalling them, and then reinstalling the mod components I want to change to, which takes quite a fair amount of time.
    edited July 2017
    Severon said:

I've probably missed the obvious, but how do I change certain components once I've installed it? The only way I can see is, having to delete the modded versions of the game, and then reinstalling them, and then reinstalling the mod components I want to change to, which takes quite a fair amount of time.

It depends. You cannot do this with BWS but you can do it manually. If you post the file Weidu.log from your modden game folder, it would be easier to tell you how.
    When I say *it depends*, this means that it depends on how many mods you have installed, which mods there are and which ones you want to change,
    This is question rather of Weidu than of BWS, but anyway. Can be pretty easy or impossible or sometimes its faster and safer to do a new install than to fiddle and bug a large install.
  • StongaStonga Member Posts: 17
    When I used BWS for the first time, I installed the recommended package. My question is, can I open BWS again to install more of the quest mods without reverting my BGEE install folder back to stock first?
    Stonga said:

When I used BWS for the first time, I installed the recommended package. My question is, can I open BWS again to install more of the quest mods without reverting my BGEE install folder back to stock first?

BWS requires a clean install, but you might be able to add the mods manually, it depends. If you post the file weidu.log from your game folder and tell which mods you want to install, we can look at it.
    edited July 2017

Stonga said:

BWS requires a clean install, but you might be able to add the mods manually, it depends. If you post the file weidu.log from your game folder and tell which mods you want to install, we can look at it.
    Attached the WeiDU.log file to this post.

As I said, I installed the recommended package for BGEE. There is 2 more quest mods that can be installed:
    The Grey Clan Volume I: In Candlelight
    T`was a Slow Boat from Kara-Tur

When we're on the topic of quest mods, is there some really good ones outside the ones that comes with BWS?
    And will my save files become corrupt if I uninstall mods that I've used for them?
    Stonga said:

Stonga said:

As I said, I installed the recommended package for BGEE. There is 2 more quest mods that can be installed:

When we're on the topic of quest mods, is there some really good ones outside the ones that comes with BWS?
    And will my save files become corrupt if I uninstall mods that I've used for them?
    You can safely install those two mods on top of your current game.

You can play both mods from your current save if
    - you have not yet visited the area south of Candlekeep, the one with the stranded ship (Kara Tur)
    - you have not yet reached Baldur Gate City (Grey Clan)

Do not uninstall mods. There is no need to do so.

There are other quest mods - depends on where in the game you are at the moment. There are some that are more complex to add because they add areas to the worldmap. Unless you know your way around to edit savegames, they will not work without starting a new game.

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

- you have not yet visited the area south of Candlekeep, the one with the stranded ship (Kara Tur)

There are other quest mods - depends on where in the game you are at the moment. There are some that are more complex to add because they add areas to the worldmap. Unless you know your way around to edit savegames, they will not work without starting a new game.
    I was not precise when I said *You can safely install those two mods on top of your current game.*
    This was to say ...without using BWS.
    Just extract the mods to your game folder and install them with their respective setup-xxxxxx.exe.
    edited July 2017

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

I was not precise when I said *You can safely install those two mods on top of your current game.*
    Just extract the mods to your game folder and install them with their respective setup-xxxxxx.exe.

Thank you for the quick response.

I haven't been to Baldur's Gate yet, but I have been to the Shipwreck Coast. Is there a way to reset an area that I've already explored safely?

Edit: I also kinda broke "The Lure of the Sirine's Call" quest as well because I went to the cave before I spoke to the man in the house next to the lighthouse. He attacked me when I talked to him. Said I had stolen his loot. Sil did never aggro me though.
    Post edited by Stonga on
    Stonga said:

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

I haven't been to Baldur's Gate yet, but I have been to the Shipwreck Coast. Is there a way to reset an area that I've already explored safely?

Edit: I also kinda broke "The Lure of the Sirine's Call" quest as well because I went to the cave before I spoke to the man in the house next to the lighthouse. He attacked me when I talked to him. Said I had stolen his loot. Sil did never aggro me though.
    You can *reset* an area but that does not alter the quest because a number of Globals would need resetting, too. But you did not break the quest, you just chose a different legitimate outcome.
    The Kara Tur quest may still work. If you find a new item in that ship, it's ok.
    edited July 2017

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

You can *reset* an area but that does not alter the quest because a number of Globals would need resetting, too. But you did not break the quest, you just chose a different legitimate outcome.
    The Kara Tur quest may still work. If you find a new item in that ship, it's ok.
    Actually, I wouldn't have known that it was a quest at all if I didn't google for the "old man". Without the quest mod, Sil would have attacked me at sight, but now she just gives me the same line and stay neutral to me.
    Is Ascension not currently in BWS for BG2EE only? Can't find it in the list.
    edited July 2017

It's english only, so maybe you need to enlarge your language selection?
    Tactical Encounters - first entry

It's english only, so maybe you need to enlarge your language selection?
    Tactical Encounters - first entry
    Ah. I was looking under "Quests". I found it, thanks.
    edited July 2017
    Some followup questions.

I've just finished installing the recommended package for BG2EE only + some of the "maximized" quest mods, but I hit a few snags when installing.

The first issue was that "Tales of the Deep Gardens" were missing a couple of files to install successfully:
    map_mod_links.tbl
    map_mod_trans.tbl

They were missing from the "worldmap" folder inside the mod in question. I was able to find them in a old Worldmap mod forum thread. placed them in the right folder and it installed *i hope* successfully.

The next error I got was from one of the extra quest mods I picked. "Deep Gnomes on the Sword Coast" with the error: Failure("resource [EDWINJ_.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

I thought, "that's no biggie, just a small quest mod", so I continued the installation without it.

Then at the end I get this message:
    ##### Enhanced Edition Trilogy End #####
    The mod was not found.
    After the mod is present, the install may be started another time.
    Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

I picked retry a couple of times with no luck. I then had to pick continue 3 times for it to finish the installation.

I'm just wondering if my installation is ok to start playing. I have attached the WeiDU.log and install debug log.

*edit*
    Found this in the debug log as well:

ERROR: Invalid_argument("String.sub") in apply_standard_function: inputs were func=immunity_to_opcode, arguments=109 157
    ERROR: [M#YDEMON.CRE] -> [override/M#YDEMON.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Invalid_argument("String.sub"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

Failed to patch M#YDEMON.CRE; error message was Invalid_argument("String.sub")

Stonga said:

Some followup questions.

I've just finished installing the recommended package for BG2EE only + some of the "maximized" quest mods, but I hit a few snags when installing.

The first issue was that "Tales of the Deep Gardens" were missing a couple of files to install successfully:
    map_mod_links.tbl
    map_mod_trans.tbl

They were missing from the "worldmap" folder inside the mod in question. I was able to find them in a old Worldmap mod forum thread. placed them in the right folder and it installed *i hope* successfully.

The next error I got was from one of the extra quest mods I picked. "Deep Gnomes on the Sword Coast" with the error: Failure("resource [EDWINJ_.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

I thought, "that's no biggie, just a small quest mod", so I continued the installation without it.

The mod was not found.

I picked retry a couple of times with no luck. I then had to pick continue 3 times for it to finish the installation.

I'm just wondering if my installation is ok to start playing. I have attached the WeiDU.log and install debug log.

*edit*

ERROR: Invalid_argument("String.sub") in apply_standard_function: inputs were func=immunity_to_opcode, arguments=109 157
    ERROR: [M#YDEMON.CRE] -> [override/M#YDEMON.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Invalid_argument("String.sub"))

Looks like you try to install EET-only mods or mod versions (e.g. Deep Gnomes) on a BG2EE only install. Thus the errors.
    edited July 2017

Stonga said:

Some followup questions.

map_mod_links.tbl
    map_mod_trans.tbl

The mod was not found.

*edit*

Looks like you try to install EET-only mods or mod versions (e.g. Deep Gnomes) on a BG2EE only install. Thus the errors.
    With Deep Gnomes I figured as much, but what about the missing files for Tales of the Deep Gardens and the rest?

Except for those 2 quest mods, everything seems to look ok?
    Stonga said:

Stonga said:

Some followup questions.

map_mod_links.tbl
    map_mod_trans.tbl

The mod was not found.

*edit*

With Deep Gnomes I figured as much, but what about the missing files for Tales of the Deep Gardens and the rest?

Tales of the Deep Gardens >> I know the new mod version is just a few days old and some issues were found and resolved just yesterday. Most likely your download was prior to that fix.

For the rest
    The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: Deepgnomes on the Sword Coast
    Component: Deepgnomes of the Sword Coast for EET >>> clear

Mod: Sword Coast Stratagems
    Component: NPCs go to inns >>>maybe covered by another mod already

Stonga said:

Stonga said:

Some followup questions.

map_mod_links.tbl
    map_mod_trans.tbl

The mod was not found.

*edit*

Tales of the Deep Gardens >> I know the new mod version is just a few days old and some issues were found and resolved just yesterday. Most likely your download was prior to that fix.

For the rest
    The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: Deepgnomes on the Sword Coast
    Component: Deepgnomes of the Sword Coast for EET >>> clear

Mod: Sword Coast Stratagems
    Component: NPCs go to inns >>>maybe covered by another mod already
    "NPC's go to inns" is already a feature in BG2 I think. Maybe that's why it wasn't installed.

I'm pretty sure I got the latest version of Deep Gardens. V12.1.
    I updated BWS today before installing the recommended mods.