Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• SchmooplesSchmooples Member Posts: 22
    So I want to install Item Pack http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/824-item-pack-v18/ it's not present in BWS. Is there a way to include the Item Pack installation with the rest of the BWS mods, or do I have to install it separately?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

So I want to install Item Pack http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/824-item-pack-v18/ it's not present in BWS. Is there a way to include the Item Pack installation with the rest of the BWS mods, or do I have to install it separately?

Which game you want to install it to?
    I want to install it to BG2EE.
    edited August 2017

I want to install it to BG2EE.

The mod itself is not compliant with BG2EE.
    You can anyhow install it and see what issues you may get (or not). Might be just cosmetic (item pictures and description) but may as well cause issues with Cromwell dialogues, depending on which other mods you have that change Cromwell.

My suggestion would be, run your BWS install. When finished, extract and install the mod manually. In case you get errors that are troubling you too much, you can anytime uninstall it again and have back your BWS install.
    edited August 2017
    Okay, thank you so much!

Edit: So I did install Item Pack after my BWS install, which includes Weimer's Item Upgrade, and I have come not come across any problems.
    Post edited by Schmooples on
  • remialremial Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2017
    Hi. I don't quite know what is happening, so I will just post the log with errors. Some strange things happened there, like unknown symbols, that looks like encoding error.
    Apparently, my installation quits because of error of .bat's step.

BWS resides in c:\BigWorldSetup
    Games bg1: c:\games\bg1 , bg2: c:\games\bg2
    downloads reside in c:\temp

I'm using last gog installers which are versions 2.3.67.3.

initially games were installed in c:/gog games/Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition and C:\gog games\Baldurs Gate II - Enhanced Edition. I didn't know, if these locations are fine, so c:\games\bg1 and c:\games\bg2 are just copied backups.

Should I reinstall my games at diffirent locations with new backups? Because I've tried it with c:\gog games\ and I've got the same result.
    remial said:

Hi. I don't quite know what is happening, so I will just post the log with errors. Some strange things happened there, like unknown symbols, that looks like encoding error.

initially games were installed in c:/gog games/Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition and C:\gog games\Baldurs Gate II - Enhanced Edition. I didn't know, if these locations are fine, so c:\games\bg1 and c:\games\bg2 are just copied backups.

Should I reinstall my games at diffirent locations with new backups? Because I've tried it with c:\gog games\ and I've got the same result.

Looks like you have selected Russian language for your install. Suggest to use another language.
  • remialremial Member Posts: 5

remial said:

Looks like you have selected Russian language for your install. Suggest to use another language.
    Yes, I did. Is russian language not supportable?
  • Ryz009Ryz009 Member Posts: 100
    edited August 2017
    I can't get my portrait folder to work oddly enough. Edit NVM I'm an idiot
  • MordaxisMordaxis Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    So I'm having a weird issue: BWS keeps randomly shutting down after about a minute or so of use... I have my antivirus completely off and have reinstalled BWS while it is off and still it keeps shutting down. No log files seem to be created, either. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

EDIT: On Win 7, UAC disabled, tried moving installation from E:\Program Files to E:\Games and still crashes...
  • PheosicsPheosics Member Posts: 16
    I am having trouble with a BWS/EET installation. I have tried installing a full tactical install, the first couple times I had to disable a couple of the mods because they failed to install (Sahara ones mainly). I also had to use CFF Explorer to allow greater memory usage. After I figured all that out it installed successfully, but I can't play it. When I click on the the baldur.exe it doesn't open anything, the process runs in the background, but that is it. I tried using the BigWorldInstall.bat file to biff everything and delete unused files, but it didn't help (I'm also not sure I did it correctly, should I have said no when asked about deleting the biff file?).

Any thoughts?
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    Sounds like one of the mods has ANSI encoding which will cause the game not to start. Full Weidu log would help plus you can check these posts over at G3. http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28889 and http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28822&page=6#entry254643

Sounds like one of the mods has ANSI encoding which will cause the game not to start. Full Weidu log would help plus you can check these posts over at G3. http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28889 and http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28822&page=6#entry254643

The game not starting is most likely caused by what @hackinslash advised.
    There is no biffing needed with EE's anymore, that was old game requirements. Deleting files trashes your install for any possible repairs.
    Well it's definitely something to do with a quest. As the tool that was mentioned on one of those pages showed that's where the hangup ways. Other people seemed to be having troubles with the BG1RE mod so I disabled that and did a new install, but still no luck... So much for it being easy. Now I have to figure out which mod is causing the problem
  • Is anyone experiencing an "out of memory" error with the Smarter Priest component of SCS? Seems to happen consistently when I try to install it.

I installed that in the past with no problems and I know my PC has enough memory to handle it. Any suggestions?

Is anyone experiencing an "out of memory" error with the Smarter Priest component of SCS? Seems to happen consistently when I try to install it.

I installed that in the past with no problems and I know my PC has enough memory to handle it. Any suggestions?

This is a random event caused by SCS rather than BWS. One solution is to pause BWS, install SCS manually, afterwards continue BWS. Go to the G3 SCS forum to see multiple reports and comments on that.

Is anyone experiencing an "out of memory" error with the Smarter Priest component of SCS? Seems to happen consistently when I try to install it.

It's not your computer's memory that's the problem. It's the fact that the program can only use 2gb of memory and it is hitting that for some reason. If you download CFF Explorer you can use that to allow the installation to use more than 2gb and it should work fine (I had to do it for SCS and EET_end)
    edited August 2017
    Can you provide a bit more info about CFF Explorer, please.
    Edit
    Found this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25HX5MbJqM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited August 2017
    Yes, I actually used that program to make SCS able to use more memory. I don't understand, because the Task Manager is not showing too much RAM usage.

Anyway, it did not help as far as I can tell. I never had to use it before in previous BWS installs, not sure what changed since then.

Now I marked the mod to make BWS pause before installing it, and I'm hoping I'll be able to install it manually and then resume BWS. Let's hope it works.

Yes, I actually used that program to make SCS able to use more memory. I don't understand, because the Task Manager is not showing too much RAM usage.

Anyway, it did not help as far as I can tell. I never had to use it before in previous BWS installs, not sure what changed since then.

Now I marked the mod to make BWS pause before installing it, and I'm hoping I'll be able to install it manually and then resume BWS. Let's hope it works.

It always worked that way for me. Also doing it manually kind of forced me to think about some components as *do I really need/want them?*.
  • Well, it actually worked! Thanks for the help.

Did you choose to install in batches? I know when I select that option it gives me that out of memory issue. And it is strange that it doesn't show it, I can see it using that much memory in my Task Manager. SCS shows 2.3gb of usage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited August 2017
    Pheosics said:

Did you choose to install in batches? I know when I select that option it gives me that out of memory issue. And it is strange that it doesn't show it, I can see it using that much memory in my Task Manager. SCS shows 2.3gb of usage

Yes, I had to install it in batches. I tried without that option, but it showed errors almost immediately and had to stop it. No idea why.

I marked SCS in the mod selection to make BWS pause before installing, then closed it, installed it manually, then re-opened BWS. BWS will detect what SCS components you have already installed, then proceed with the rest of the installation. As to the memory issue, maybe I was not observant enough, but I took a look when I was installing it manually and I don't think it ever got near 2 GBs, most of the time it remained below 1 GB.

I don't really get why it keeps giving memory errors, as I modified the SCS executable to use more than 2 gbs, but the aforementioned method works for whatever reason.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • vurtvurt Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017
    Should i really create a folder in Data called 00766 like the screen shows in red in the first post? Is it the same for BG2 EE as in all other games supported? I thought i'd ask because it seems odd that the installer doesn't do this by itself when it does so many other way more advanced things.

Thanks.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The 00766 is just an example. You need to find where your installation is located and choose that one. It's the folder with the file "chitin.key" in it.

I would also recommend copying that folder to a different location on your hard drive and modding it there. That way, you always have a clean copy of your installation to fall back on if something goes wrong with the modding.
  • vurtvurt Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I suspected something like that. Yes i made a copy already. Thanks!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I'm creating a BWS template for my mod and it asks me for the number of each component. Am I to assume that the first component that appears in the TP2 file is component 0, the second is component 1, and so on?

I'm creating a BWS template for my mod and it asks me for the number of each component. Am I to assume that the first component that appears in the TP2 file is component 0, the second is component 1, and so on?

Per default, yes.
    Unless you use your own numbering with DESIGNATED, which is what large tweak mods do, in order to keep the numbers permanent even if new components are added or inserted.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I've made an INI file for my mod. Now what do I do to get the mod working with BWS? The FAQ says I need to send a pull request at Bitbucket, but I don't know how to do that. I do have a Bitbucket account now. Could someone give instructions for how to send in an INI file for a mod to BWS?

I've made an INI file for my mod. Now what do I do to get the mod working with BWS? The FAQ says I need to send a pull request at Bitbucket, but I don't know how to do that. I do have a Bitbucket account now. Could someone give instructions for how to send in an INI file for a mod to BWS?

Support for this is probably best found
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/?view=findpost&p=590214&hl=mod+template