Skip to content

Honest opinion, I don't like the idea of SoD

ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
I'll be honest with you gents.
I owned BG saga on physical copies, then on digital ones and then I decided to purchase the EE edition for ease of use as they were combining all the features I wanted from modes with some tune up for modern OS and nice extra features.

I also supported Beamdog as it was assumed that beamdog will create a new BG game of sort (BG3 or something in the general atmosphere\universe).

But,
As this is a paid expansion to the original BG game I find it rather disapointing. I actually am worried that now we will get in EA style way "Appearnace packs" and more "quests DLCs" and such miniscule packs for micro transactions instead of proper new game.

If beamdog would have made a proper new game and created dlcs, and expansions for that one I would have been alright with that but creating a paid expansion for BG1? that's smell of hypocracy.

my 2 cents, no insults meant just honest opinion.
AtapaWithinAmnesiaYelocessejWandering_MinstrelCaeria

Comments

• Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    I agree that paid DLC seems a bit odd for a game like Baldur's Gate, but unfortunately more and more games are providing paid DLC and this trend isn't going away any time soon. I'd rather pay once and get a full game + all the additional content, but I guess that would just be too easy.

I'm excited for the expansion, however, simply because it's more Baldur's Gate. If Beamdog keeps its DLC model the same as used for BG1&2 then I don't really have any issue.
    Arcalian
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bob_veng
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    The new portraits and npcs were DLCs on mobile devices, so there is some precedent.

However, I have no problem with the expansion. There is a gap storywise between BG 1 and 2. I am still a bit skeptical about the effect on the extra levels and stuff on BG 2, but we will see about that.
    [Deleted User]
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I can't figure out where you see (or smell) hypocrisy here.
    elminsterjackjack
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    Opinions are like Miniature Giant Space Hamsters. Actually they are nowhere near that cool.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2015
    Ammar said:

The new portraits and npcs were DLCs on mobile devices, so there is some precedent.

That's because of the point I mentioned about mobile and games: If they had priced BG:EE at $20 on mobile, with all DLC included (as they did for PC) then they would have made less sales overall on mobile (or so the theory goes). By pricing the base game <$10 and adding the couple of DLCs, they lowered the price to jump in and try it, while keeping the overall price the same as PC (base + DLC = PC price).

It's based on a "rule of thumb" for mobile games. There's no guaranteed way to sell on mobile, but there are a bunch of things you can do that definitely help.

Yes, I guess it does set a precedent that they can do DLC.. but at the same time, they've only done it on platforms where it's almost "demanded".. after all, free to download with IAP is how most of the money is made in mobile usually, and thankfully Beamdog didn't go down that route. =D
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Eh, I guess I see SoD as simply a digital version of what we used to buy on discs. Particularly given the size of the expansion. Plus it will be nice to finally flesh out the narrative between the two games.
    JuliusBorisovAbelFaydarkmlnevese
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Plus creating Siege of Dragonspear helps Beamdog get more proficient at making a really good 'BG3' game. It hones their programming skills, their story-telling skills and whatever more skills you need to produce a CRPG.
    [Deleted User]FaydarkFinnTheHumanmlnevese
    bob_vengGallowglassFinnTheHumanmlnevese
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

I'll be honest with you gents.
    If beamdog would have made a proper new game and created dlcs, and expansions for that one I would have been alright with that but creating a paid expansion for BG1? that's smell of hypocracy.

it will be a proper game. not a huge game, but still, for someone not super-experienced, it will take a while to finish.
    the fact that it comes in the form of an expansion pack is not that important. maybe you can look at the substance, not the package:
    - it will have a new campaign (with new locations) with a distinct storyline
    - it will have new joinable npcs and old ones will have new voiced dialogue
    - it will have a slightly different look, graphically (a bit different UI, more modern area art...) and also, there will be technical upgrades (such as improved pathfinding)

it could have been a separate game but the choice to make an interquel instead of a sequel to the saga precluded that. what would you call it if it were a separate game, baldur's gate 1.5? :smile:
    [Deleted User]
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015

And a lot of voice acting! Old characters returning! ^__^ High production values! :u I bet they even have their artists drawing in a room where no sunlight may enter... -_- For their bedsheet curtains are of darkest night. n.n

This summer I actually visited the office (and saw the room the artists work in). I believe they have a window. :)
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovmlnevese
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Then again it was 4 months ago and I am over 1000 years old. So its possible I'm misremembering :)
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    Gallowglass
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    elminster said:

I believe they have a window. :)

A window? For art-work? Oh how sweet, that's so ... nineteenth century! Next you'll be telling us that they were drawing on ... er ... that old-fashioned stuff, you know ... er ... oh yes, "paper" I think it was called!

Maybe they had a power-outage that day?
    [Deleted User]dunbar
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    elminster said:

And a lot of voice acting! Old characters returning! ^__^ High production values! :u I bet they even have their artists drawing in a room where no sunlight may enter... -_- For their bedsheet curtains are of darkest night. n.n

This summer I actually visited the office (and saw the room the artists work in). I believe they have a window. :)
    Bit it looks out into Edmonton. Not much of a change from a grey drab wall.
  • AtapaAtapa Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2015
    I would have much rather they expanded on the Baldur's Gate series rather than upsetting the flow. Making a stand alone game that doesn't link to BG2 and ToB seems completely pointless. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series are my favorite games and I would happily fork over the cash to see them expanded upon. So disappointing that making them more epic isn't a priority anymore.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Atapa said:

I would have much rather they expanded on the Baldur's Gate series rather than upsetting the flow. Making a stand alone game that doesn't link to BG2 and ToB seems completely pointless. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series are my favorite games and I would happily fork over the cash to see them expanded upon. So disappointing that making them more epic isn't a priority anymore.

from what I heard SoD is going to link bg1 and bg2, the whole point of SoD is what happens inbetween those 2 games,

but for me, I don't think I will be buying this expansion just based on the fact that importing a character into bg2 with 1 000 000 starting XP is really going to unbalance the game, bg2 was set to have characters starting with 89000-161000 XP and scales quite fine with that, I once imported a black pits team into bg2 and with 500 000 XP I was mopping up the floor with baddies, people say that the game gives you bigger and tougher baddies as you grow in experience but its not good enough, I can predict that with the huge XP raise bg2 is going to be way less of a challenge, but then you might say; oh but there's nightmare mode, just use that. Use it for what? x3+50 HP and a little better to hit with a little better AC doesn't make the game harder, it makes it unnecessarily longer and boring I find, when I would play heart of fury mode in IWD, my usual reaction is; "sigh" this is taking way to long to kill this trivial enemies in this trivial battle, but then you could say; Sarevok57 you silly bones, why not just install so mods like SCS and all that good jazz, and my answer to that is; nay, I don't like modifying my game, it's perfect the way it is, the fun is still intact and modification in my opinion just takes more of the game away and makes it a completely different game altogether

my prediction is, the more jazz that they add to these games, the more I'm going to want to go back to my old vanilla CD games, I miss their old school graphics and gameplay, especially the path finding, oh the path finding was wonderful in the old games ( don't know how it become awful in the EEs) but with that being said, if the EEs are basically the final product of what we are going to get, then I might stick with them, but I feel as the more that is added to the games, the more unbaldur's gate like they become, and if too much gets added I think I will just revert back to my vanilla games :)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The vanilla games are still there, nobody will take them away, @sarevok57. The EEs are not instead of vanilla games, they are alteratives.

As for the start of BG2, Phillip Daigle said they gave thoughts to that, so maybe we'll see something more than the existing scaling system of locations, so that it will be "good enough".
    [Deleted User]fireandsteel73
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    you didn't get my point, it's not that it is a link between the games or expanding the BG:EE experience. it's the fact it is an expansion pack, and paid one at that, for the game.
    if it was stand alone expansion which didn't require the original game... that's more conceivable.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Googleness: Who are you saying didn't get your point? Many people responded to your post. I understood that you were complaining about Beamdog selling an expansion pack, but I still don't know why you think that's hypocritical.

if it was stand alone expansion which didn't require the original game... that's more conceivable.

why's that a big problem? why would you not buy and play BG:EE before SoD? you learn the story, get used to the characters...

if someone's already played BG1 before, and isn't interested in playing it again (this time in a new, enhanced edition), but wants to play SoD, then it's not an ideal situation for him, but the number of such people must be very very low.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2015
    Most expansion packs require the main game be installed before you install them on top and play them. That's the definition of "expansion pack". Actually, I'm pretty sure it would be safe to say *all* expansion packs require the main game to play.
    JuliusBorisovArchaosjackjackfireandsteel73
    in the past there were many releases labeled in the press and often by publishers as expansion packs, when in reality they were standalone (sometimes even containing the base game). this was the case when there wasn't enough innovation for a new installment so the publishers were shy to stick a sequel number to the game. but nowadays we have DLCs so it's less common.
    fireandsteel73