Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited July 2017 in Off-Topic

Here we are going to discuss the upcoming football tournament. Just share any your thoughts.

Here're all the groups.

Here's the schedule.

Also, everyone can make predictions!

Before the very first kick-off everyone can give the prognosis regarding the champion, the vice-champion and teams to gualify from groups. A one-off prediction.

Guessing the champion (before the tournament starts): 20 points
Guessing the vice-champion = 15 points
Bonus for the right prediction regarding the 1 and 2 places = 10 points.
Guessing the right team to qualify from the group = 4 points (per team).

Also, anyone interested can post their prediction regarding the nearest games and I will put it into an Excel table. Then, after the games will be over, we can count poits for successfull predictions.

Guessing the right outcome = 1 point
Guessing the right score = 2 points (so that 51 match potentially can give 102 points).

Game on!
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
booinyoureyesCahirAwong124AristilliusAnduinlolien

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited November 2015
    I have high hopes that Poland will kick some asses this time and reach 1/8 and maybe even quarter finals. In my opinion we have the strongest team since the 80's. Last 3:1 victory with Czech Republic shows that even without our top players (Lewandowski, Krychowiak or Blaszczykowski) we can win with strong teams.

I wouldn't bet on Germany this time, they won our group, but it was a close call and we finally manged to beat them on our turf.

I have a feeling that there may be some surprises on Euro 2016 (Belgium maybe?)

EDIT: And yeah, Lewandowski is the beast :smile:
    JuliusBorisovwojtek
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    edited November 2015
    bengoshi said:

(It's a shame that there's no Netherlands here!)

Hehehe, Go Czechs! :)
    JuliusBorisov
    Pecca said:

bengoshi said:

(It's a shame that there's no Netherlands here!)

Hehehe, Go Czechs! :)
    Since we beat both Czech's and Iceland in last two matches, we could beat Netherlands too. Go Poles! :smile:

JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    There are a couple of teams who usually perform well in the championships; germany and italy for sure and probably spain as well, even if they are having a less than stellar year and line-up. I'm fairly confident they will all move on from the groups.

My own team, Sweden, just barely made it to the championshup through the play-offs and I predict we will have a very difficult time competing for the top place in whatever group we end up in. If Zlatan is not at his prime, we will fail no doubt. I still look forward to it since, as @bengoshi said, it's always great to see qualitative football being played, no matter which teams are playing.

I predict that sweden and england will end up in the same group as usual, hehe :wink:
    JuliusBorisov
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited November 2015
    As for the champions, I think it will be one of the usual suspects: Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Or Belgium or Poland which are both very strong at the moment. But a lot can change before the tournament gets started. If I have to name a specific team, it'll be Germany. They always do well in tournaments.

And I predict Denmark will root for Sweden like we always do when we fail to qualify - once we get over the disappointment of losing the playoffs to our beloved neighbors. :wink:
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Greece will win!

OH..... wait....
    JuliusBorisovAristillius
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I predict a comeback for Spain.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Ah, cool thread. What's the DL for predictions? ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Can't speculate on who will win yet (my first guess would be Germany), but I'm pretty sure that England will scrape through and lose on penalties in the second round. If they're lucky. :p
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovSkatanbooinyoureyes
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't even recall guessing the winner. I now only vaguely remember who actually won.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited November 2015

Ah, cool thread. What's the DL for predictions? ;)

The deadline for predictions is June, 10, 2016, before the kick-off of the first match. I think the most precise predictions can be made only when the full squads are known, the players who're missing due injuries are known, the mood of the players based on the Champions League and domestic tournaments is known, etc etc.

As for the match-by-match predictions, the deadline for predictions is always a day of a certain match.

As for now, there can only be speculation and sharing views on the qualification stage. I was personally impressed by Lewandowski, but it's hard to evaluate his stance come the next summer.

Also, nice to see England, Republic of Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland on the tournament. Only Scotland is missing.

I hope that this tournament will be good for Zlatan. If push comes to shove, he can deliver. Denmark already felt it.

To me, the biggest disappointment from the qualification stage was the Netherlands' fiasco. Louis Van Gaal proved to be a genius if he managed to won the 3rd place in the World Cup with that team who played so badly and uninspiringly against Czech Republic and Turkey.

I think something like a group of England, Italy, Czech Republic and Northern Ireland can be tough.
    CahirFinneousPJbooinyoureyes

And I predict Denmark will root for Sweden like we always do when we fail to qualify - once we get over the disappointment of losing the playoffs to our beloved neighbors. :wink:

Yeah, it was truly a love-hate epic battle! And, as always, should it ended the opposite, Sweden would have cheered for Denmark as well. Us nords usually stick together unless we have to actually play against eachother.
    Bengoshi said:

I hope that this tournament will be good for Zlatan. If push comes to shove, he can deliver. Denmark already felt it.

It may actually be Zlatans last tournament. He's 34 now and may well be good still for a couple of years, but I personally think he won't be that guy who continues to play when he starts to lag behind. I think his pride will make him quit before he starts losing in competetence against younger, rising stars, rather than see his stardom fall and ragequit when it becomes obvious he can no longer be considered one of the best.

I'm looking forward seeing the new rising teams, Belgium and Poland as well. I think it would be great for football in europe if new teams start to establish a foothold in the top 5. Too long has it been just the same countries over and over. It was both interresting and dreadful to see the Netherlands. It almost felt like the fall of France in the early millenium years. lets hope the bounce back again though. I've always enjoyed the kind of football the Netherlands play!

Also, being a swede, I'm really hoping that Iceland can shake some of the tougher opponents. They proved that team spirit and hard work can make you go a long way! They're also trained by an old swedish coach who took Sweden to many, many championships through the same way of playing, defensive and disciplined.

I also hope England can actually deliver this time. Too many times have they failed when the actual championship starts even when they have a great team and after an amazing qualification.
    JuliusBorisovCahirMontresor_SPFinneousPJ
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited November 2015
    @Skatan honestly, I don't know what it is with England lately. They have the players, but they don't seem to be able to work as a team...every time I watch them, they are always very underwhelming. They always play a cagey game, they rarely hold possession for more than a few seconds at a time, they always give the other team plenty of room to move, and their defence is always very easy to open up.

They also have an annoying tendency to underestimate teams that aren't considered "strong", and don't put everything into those games, which sometimes results in a surprise loss (although it shouldn't be surprising, really...they still qualified for the tournament!). They do seem to play better against the stronger teams...a match against Germany or Italy is always a battle; England and Germany have been rivals on the football field ever since the famous 1966 final. I'll never forget that 1990 semi-final against Germany (West Germany at the time) - first time I was formally introduced to the infamous Penalty Curse! ;) ).

If that friendly against Spain was anything to go by, however, England haven't got a chance. I'm guessing that they didn't put everything into that match either; problem with England players now, I think, is that they get paid far too much by their club teams, and I think for a lot of them, that takes priority. They don't want to wear themselves out, or risk injury, for a World Cup match, when the Champions League is just around the corner...or something. (yeah...I don't know when the big league games are...it's disgraceful, how can I call myself a Brit? ;) ). I don't know what they get paid for international tournaments but I'm guessing other countries are more interested in doing it for the sake of honour, and representing their country. (but then, if I had to sing that godawful national anthem, I'd be hard pushed to find national pride too, maybe!)

Also, a lot of them do all this advertising/endorsing/public appearances etc where they get celebrity status, and I think it goes to their heads a bit.

Whatever the reasons...the fact remains that, compared to other world class teams, England rather sucks lately. I just find it so hard to believe that England, a country so obsessed with football, can't field a decent team, or find a decent manager! I'm often left the following day saying "d'ya see dat loodicrus display larst noit?" (fans of The IT Crowd will get it ;) ). Luckily for me, I have another team to support...problem is, that team is Switzerland, who aren't exactly known for going far in these tournaments either! :(
    Skatan
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    It is way too early to make predictions, but if I was to pick sides in general that I think are capable of winning it I'd say Spain, Germany, France and Belgium. I'd consider other teams "outsiders" but as usual one of the favorites will disappoint and an outsider will surprise.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The draw has been made:

Group A: France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland
    Group B: England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia
    Group C: Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland
    Group D: Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia
    Group E: Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden
    Group F: Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

To me, they all look interesting groups. I think the group D is the toughest, really, with Turkey and Croatia again playing each other, plus Czech Republic is a decent team. No rest for Spain here.

Sweden -> if you manage to block either Belgium's or Italy's qualification from this group, Zlatan, you'll be remembered for a long time.

The group C looks not so straight, with Germany and Poland again playing each other, but here is also Northern Ireland, a tough team to beat.

In the groups A and B, I think, it will be rather simple - France and Switzerland, England. As for the second place after England, it will be a fight. Wales are wonderful with Bale, but Russia is a solid team now.

As for the group F, I'm completely unsure about it. Portugal always look like favourites, but I still remember their poor play at the World Cup. All 3 other teams, especially Austria and Iceland, will prove a real competition.
    FinneousPJ
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    How in the hells did the Netherlands not make it?
    BTW, I like how the group D is written in the above post :)

As for Netherlands - no longer Van Gaal in charge, a change of players (RVP past his best), injuries (Robben), poor management, panic, other factors - strong teams in their group: Czech Republic, Iceland and Turkey.
    @bengoshi You can fix it by putting formatting between : and D, e.g.

Group D< b >< / b >:

Looks like

Group D:
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited December 2015
    bengoshi said:

The draw has been made:

Group A: France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland
    Group B: England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia
    Group C: Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland
    Group D: Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia
    Group E: Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden
    Group F: Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

To me, they all look interesting groups. I think the group D is the toughest, really, with Turkey and Croatia again playing each other, plus Czech Republic is a decent team. No rest for Spain here.

Sweden -> if you manage to block either Belgium's or Italy's qualification from this group, Zlatan, you'll be remembered for a long time.

The group C looks not so straight, with Germany and Poland again playing each other, but here is also Northern Ireland, a tough team to beat.

In the groups A and B, I think, it will be rather simple - France and Switzerland, England. As for the second place after England, it will be a fight. Wales are wonderful with Bale, but Russia is a solid team now.

As for the group F, I'm completely unsure about it. Portugal always look like favourites, but I still remember their poor play at the World Cup. All 3 other teams, especially Austria and Iceland, will prove a real competition.

Yikes! For Sweden is does indeed look grim, but lets start from the beginning.

A: I'd say France is solid enough to make it on top, and I predict Switz taking second place.
    B: Russia and England are my bet.
    C: Germany of course, and then Poland. Possibly even a draw in points but Germany as 1:th due to more goals (?).
    D: This is the "death group" of the lot! Many good teams and hopefully a lot of great matches to see! I Still think that Spain will come out on top though. Second one is harder to predict, but I guess the safest route is to vote on Czech.
    E: And then we have my team, Sweden... Sweden always plays poorly vs Ireland for some reason. Damn, it'll be tough moving on from the group. I predict Belgium and Italy as first and second, italy possibly as second since they often plays more poorly in the group matches than in the quarters and onwards.
    F: It's boring to always play it safe and bet on the more experienced teams like Portugal, so I'm gonna go with Iceland and Austria in this one.

Really looking forward to this! Though, as said, I sincerely doubt I will have so much to cheer for as a swede, hehe..

Edit: haha, made the same mistake with group D! :smiley:
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJlolien
    edited December 2015
    Hell yeah, time to kick some German arses once more :)

My bets:
    Group A: France (1st), Romania (2nd)
    Group B: England (1st), Wales (2nd)
    Group C: Poland (1st), Germany (2nd)
    Group D: Spain (1st), Czech Republic (2nd)
    Group E: Belgium (1st), Italy (2nd)
    Group F: Austria (1st), Portugal (2nd)

JuliusBorisovwojtekSkatanlolien
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I predict it will be a pleasant and relaxed summer in the Netherlands without a football-craze.
    edited May 2016
    Opening a new discussion in anticipation of the sporting event of the year.

Group A
    --------
    Albania
    France
    Romania
    Switzerland

Group B
    --------
    England
    Russia
    Slovakia
    Wales

Group C
    --------
    Germany
    N. Ireland
    Poland
    Ukraine

Group D
    --------
    Croatia
    Czech Republic
    Spain
    Turkey

Group E
    --------
    Belgium
    Italy
    Republic of Ireland
    Sweden

Group F
    --------
    Austria
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Portugal

Overview of the competition

Now accepting predictions for winners!

Who do you support?
    Skatanlolien
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Yay! Winners... I think I'll go with Germany this year :D As for who I support, you know I don't support England but it would be nice if they get out of the group stages :)
    FinneousPJCrevsDaak
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112

Hate to break it to you, the Superbowl was February 7th.

mf2112lolien

Hate to break it to you, the Superbowl was February 7th.

Ow shush! ;)

Clumsy_Dwarf
    @Clumsy_Dwarf That's a good joke:'D
    Clumsy_Dwarf
    edited May 2016
    @JuliusBorisov @bengoshi You should merge my thread with this one
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited May 2016
    I was going to say that. What's happened to your thread @FinneousPJ ? Anyways like I said in that thread I'm going for a Germany win lol
    FinneousPJ
    Merged!

We already have started to see players who won't play on Euro due to injuries - and these are great players, very sad:

Jack Butland, GK, England
    Mattia Perin, GK, Italy
    Rob Elliott, GK, the Republic of Ireland
    Kurt Zouma, RB, France
    Vincent Kompany, CB, Belgium
    Aymeric Laporte, CB, France
    Fabio Coentrao, LB, Portugal
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, RW, England
    Marco Verratti, CM, Italy
    Ilkay Gundogan, CM, Germany
    Claudio Marchisio, CM, Italy
    Danny Welbeck, ST, England

Bastian Schweinsteiger, CM, Germany, is also a big question
    FinneousPJsparkleavlolien
    Hookay, Adam Nawałka just announced 23 chosen ones for Euro 2016. So, here's Polish fighters:

Goalkeepers:

Artur Boruc (AFC Bournemouth)
    Łukasz Fabiański (Swansea FC)
    Wojciech Szczęsny (AS Roma)

Defenders:

Thiago Cionek (Palermo)
    Kamil Glik (Torino FC)
    Artur Jędrzejczyk (Legia Warszawa)
    Michał Pazdan (Legia Warszawa)
    Łukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund)
    Bartosz Salamon (Cagliari)
    Jakub Wawrzyniak (Lechia Gdańsk)