Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

AUT - HUN 2-0
    POR - ISL 2-1

I think the winners should be clear today. This group seems quite clear cut on paper.

I agree, but just because it's boring to always bet on the sure ones, in this group I've put my hopes in Iceland. I am sure Portugal will win, but I hope Iceland will put on a good show. Their coach is known for his super-defensive playstyle and rigorous mapping of the opponents. There is a slight change...
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    All right guys, time for round 2 predictions:

Russia - Slovakia: 0-1
    Romania - Switzerland: 1-0
    France - Albania: 3-0
    England - Wales: 2-1
    Ukraine - Northern Ireland: 2-0
    Germany - Poland: 0-1
    Italy - Sweden: 2-1
    Czech Republic - Croatia: 0-1
    Spain - Turkey: 1:0
    Belgium - Republic of Ireland: 2-0
    Iceland - Hungary: 2-1
    Portugal - Austria: 1:0
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

AUT - HUN 2-0
    POR - ISL 2-1

I think the winners should be clear today. This group seems quite clear cut on paper.

Wow I jinxed it. No wait, I put the score the wrong way round :P
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

AUT - HUN 2-0

I think the winners should be clear today.

Argas said:

This one is easy. Austria should dominate the offense with Janko and Arnautovic I would have preferred Harnik to back them up I think that guy will score..but I think the coach might think different with respect for that but I think they would risk a narrow win

lol ;) I too voted for Austria. What a surprise!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2016
    Well, I got the Austrian number of goals right...

Next to come, Iceland's brilliant 2-0 victory over Portugal. As you can see I am rooting for Denmark's former possession in the North Atlantic, even though they are probably laughing their hindquarters off at being at a European championship where Denmark is not. :grin:
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174

AUT - HUN 2-0

I think the winners should be clear today.

Argas said:

This one is easy. Austria should dominate the offense with Janko and Arnautovic I would have preferred Harnik to back them up I think that guy will score..but I think the coach might think different with respect for that but I think they would risk a narrow win

lol ;) I too voted for Austria. What a surprise!
    Austria seemed a little drunk or maybe poisoned by food before the game in sure they can play fluent soccer..
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Round Two Predictions
    Some hard predictions.

Russia - Slovakia: 1-1 (Russia could be disqualified this game... I'm going for a bonus prediction point that they will get disqualified this game...)
    Romania - Switzerland: 1-2
    France - Albania: 5-0
    England - Wales: 4-1
    Ukraine - Northern Ireland: 2-1
    Germany - Poland: 2-1
    Italy - Sweden: 2-2
    Czech Republic - Croatia: 0-3
    Spain - Turkey: 2-1
    Belgium - Republic of Ireland: 2-2
    Iceland - Hungary: 1-2
    Portugal - Austria: 2-0

Didn't predict enough draws last time...

But... I want to see goals... So I will shape the future by predicting them!
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Still no faith in the Czechs? Let me fix that: Czech Republic - Croatia: 2-1

shaping shaping shaping shaping
    Pecca said:

Still no faith in the Czechs? Let me fix that: Czech Republic - Croatia: 2-1

shaping shaping shaping shaping

Yeah, sorry about that, I still remember EURO 2012 :p
    ÍS-LAND!!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Anduin said:

Round Two Predictions

England - Wales: 4-1

Hahaha! I love your totally unbiased picks!
    88th minute but Iceland soccer is fall or win in the last minut
    Win..?

Russia - Slovakia: 4-1
    Romania - Switzerland: 2-1
    France - Albania: 3-0
    England - Wales: 2-2
    Ukraine - Northern Ireland: 3-1
    Germany - Poland: 2-0
    Italy - Sweden: 2-0
    Czech Republic - Croatia: 1-2
    Spain - Turkey: 3-1
    Belgium - Republic of Ireland: 5-1
    Iceland - Hungary: 3-2
    Portugal - Austria: 2-1

Ronaldo's comments about Iceland after the match show just why I despise him
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Ronaldo's comments about Iceland after the match show just why I despise him

My personal nick-name for Ronaldo is "Barbie-boy." But let it be said - at least he fiddles not with his taxes.

But woaaahh - Iceland!! :smiley: & :blush:

I am so happy for them, and so impressed of their fans! The fist half-time was terrible, but second half time was certainly rewarding; and never-breaking. in a nice way, where you delight if tie is kept, but just wish for better.

Belgium is my adopted team for this tournament, not least because supporting them guarantees suspense.

But Sweden or especially first timer Iceland - I'll always support my neighbours while hoping maybe one day Finland will join...

Grattis Island! Well done, really.

The goalie, man for his job. Attacker number 8 - Birkir Barnasor - it was the goal, too, but this resulted from an enormously big-hearted fight throughout the game.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    And also so happy for Hungary, and their sweatpants legend of a goalie... :smile:

Sporting wise, I almost prefer Euro to WC because I have so many teams I sympathize with! (That said: before Finns make it there, but if I held my breath I'd be dead sort of thing.)

Very disappointed with the violence though. I do not quite understand why not granting visas or refusing intra-EU travel for violent individuals is so hard! This is either commercial cynicism or utmost complacency.
    Ha! Got the Portugal-Iceland draw right! Couple hits like this and I'll join Zalathorn and Farseer to become the most powerful Diviner in the Realms :smile: Go Cahir the Omniscient!
    So people hate Italy for their defense but love Iceland's tortoise tactic? Logic? POR deserved the 2-1 and I sincerely hope ISL do not advance. But yes, their fans are great.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    So, the first round of matches is over. We now have a lot of information on the state of every team. It looks like Belgium-Italy became the most surprising result in the first round of matches, with only one right prediction. Also, we have a new leader, by the name of, khm, bengoshi.

I'm glad I was right about about Iceland. They really gave their all. They couldn't play better, because they're Iceland, not Germany, for example.

• DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    I arrive here two days late, here are some comments in Italy's match.

I couldn't expect such a win on Belgium, but I must say that, knowing how Antonio Conte works, I expected such a game from Italy. He is a very good coach, his strength being the ability to give motivation to the players, and making the team a group of fighters on the pitch. Also, it was said that he was meticulously preparing the match from a tactical point of view, and this was plainly clear during the match.

This attitude is one of the best ones we could have, when you are dealing with one of the least talented Italian teams we have ever had: the lack of Marchisio and Verratti has only emphasised our general lack of quality, which is particularly high among the forwards. Luckily for us, the defenders (and Buffon, always be praised) work like a clock (they are all Juventus players), which makes that our strongest feature.

It should also be said that not all of the players gave their best against Belgium: Darmian and Parolo looked a bit out of the match, and Candreva lost a few balls that gave us some though moments, even if he is a wonderful player in general (and the soft assist to Pellè after 92' shows it).

We'll see how we'll fare in the next two matches, but I am afraid that, when we'll face teams with a better mix of organisation and individual quality, we won't have many chances to stop them.
    Antonio Conte is indeed an excellent coach, we'll see how he fares in Chelsea next season. The most surprising fact regarding that win was that, actually, Belgium is an organised team with individual quality. It is obvious that both Republic of Ireland and Sweden are worse in this context.

Anyway, it's time for predictions regarding the next round of matches.

Today, the first match is Russia vs Slovakia. It's really hard to predict. Slovakia needs something from it as they lost their first match. Russia, on the other hand, were, in my opinion, VERY lucky not to concede from England more and were very lucky to score from their nearly only chance. Plus, we can't not notice outside activities and the context. It will be a tough match for both teams, I'll go with a draw here. 1:1.

Romania vs Switzerland. Well, Romania impressed against France, no doubt about it. But Switzerland is a good team, with a solid defence. I'll go with a 1:2 with Switzerland getting a qualification here.

France vs Albania. France played good in the first match, maybe not excellent, but good. They shouldn't have problems defeating probably the weakest team in their group. 3:1.

Tomorrow will see the match which I'm very waiting for. England vs Wales. It should be such a good game, with a lot of pace, a lot of passion. I believe in the team spirit in both teams, but I feel England should edge it. I predict 2:1. But how I wish it could be a draw.

Ukraine vs Northern Ireland. As we saw, Ukraine can play in a very high tempo, but for about 55 minutes. I think it should be enough to win here. 2:1.

Germany vs Poland. A hard match to predict. Germany is strong, maybe not so strong as in Brasil, but still Poland is very motivated. I'd go with a draw with lots of goals. 2:2.

Friday will see Italy vs Sweden. Poor Sweden, they did all they could in the first match, and now they face a team that has started to want blood. A win for Italy. 2:0.

Czech Republic vs Croatia. Well, I didn't expect Croatia to win against Turkey. Czechs couldn't score against De Gea, but Croatia doesn't have such a goalkeeper. It should be a good match, I'll go with a draw here. 1:1.

Spain vs Turkey. How many people critised Spain for their 72% possesion and only a few clear chances against Czechs! But this team will become better with each match. 2:0.

Saturday will see Belgium vs Republic of Ireland. Belgium must find their confidence quickly. They're still a wonderful team, but if they don't win here, everything will become bad. A nervous match. 2:1.

Iceland vs Hungary. Iceland are probably already happy, no matter what the future holds. Hungary were a surprising winners, majorly thanks to their opponent playing with 10 men. Another draw here, perhaps, for Iceland? 0:0.

Portugal vs Austria. Interesting. Both teams underperfomed in their first matches. Or is it their real level? Portugal has to win this group, so it's the match they have to win. 2:1.
    Cahir said:

Ha! Got the Portugal-Iceland draw right! Couple hits like this and I'll join Zalathorn and Farseer to become the most powerful Diviner in the Realms :smile: Go Cahir the Omniscient!

Wow, great pick!

Fun fact: More than 8% of Iceland's entire nation is at the Euros. That is crazy!
    RUS - SVK 1-2
    ROU - SUI 0-2
    FRA - ALB 2-0
    OK, predictions for round 2:

15/6

Russia - Slovakia: 2-0
    Romania - Switzerland: 0-1
    France - Albania: 4-0

16/6

England - Wales: 1-1
    Ukraine - Northern Ireland: 1-1
    Germany - Poland: 2-1

17/6

Italy - Sweden: 2-0
    Czech Republic - Croatia: 2-1
    Spain - Turkey: 3-0

18/6

Belgium - Republic of Ireland: 3-2
    Iceland - Hungary: 2-0
    Portugal - Austria: 1-1
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Wow, pretty much all of us really sucked at predicting the last couple of matches, hehe :)

Here's my predictions for round 2:

Russia - Slovakia: 1-2 (Russians will make fools of themselves again, but noone REALLY want to disqualify them so I think they will continue on)
    Romania - Switzerland: 2-2 (this could be an interresting game. Both really want to win, both can play good football. I hope for a match with lots of goals.
    France - Albania: 3-0 (france should secure this, and they really shouldn't let any slip in behind them either)
    England - Wales: 2-2 (May be very amusing and great, may become very agressive and not so great. We'll see. Lets hope the hooligans behave like civilized ppl this time)
    Ukraine - Northern Ireland: 2-0 (the Ukraine should win this.=
    Germany - Poland: 2-1 (this is the game I am looking forward too! I hope for a fast paced game with two strong teams which hopefully will be very entertaining to watch)
    Italy - Sweden: 2-0 (sorry sweden, but we will lose.. badly. I think this will be one of those games that make many grown men cry out of despair and self-loathing for being swedish)
    Czech Republic - Croatia: 1-1 (I think this one is very difficult to predict.. )
    Spain - Turkey: 2-1 (I hope I get the chance to see this game!)
    Belgium - Republic of Ireland: 3-1 (Belgium need a win, Ireland aren't bad but vs a better country they will loose).
    Iceland - Hungary: 1-1 (May be interresting. I still have my hopes for Iceland)
    Portugal - Austria: 2-0 (portugal will rise to the challenge and show everyone what they are capable of. I predict Portu will rule this game and win rather comfortably)
    Slutsky looks like he's developed a cocaine habit.
    edited June 2016
    Ahh, Hamšík, that was a masterpiece. Great game by Slovakia so far.

Edit: Duly noted and corrected :smiley:
    Post edited by Cahir on