Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I have no faith in Roy whatsoever.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Boo, I'm hardly a clairvoyant, so it seems. England SHOULD have win this game. And yeah, Wayne lost his flair and should have been replaced after 1st half.
    I'm saddened by all the fighting :(
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Who would have predicted England fans doing this. O wait...
    I wouldn't say many involved are 'fans' but there are so many that are fans that are caught up in it.
    The sad truth is nobody wants England to play in their city
    I'm not saying the English 'fans' are innocent, they're definately not but it's not just the English is it?
    I haven't seen any of news of riots in other cities, only Marseilles. Let's do an experiment: when team England moves to Lens, let's see what happens to the riots.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    UEFA starts disciplinary action against Russia for crowd trouble and racist behaviour.
    @Mr2150 For events after the game? What about England though? It's not just the Russians, eh @sparkleav ? ;)
    Today

TUR - CRO 0-1
    POL- NIR 3-1
    GER-UKR 2-1

I was in 1 minute from guessing the result of England - Russia. It's such a disappointment. To me, England deserved to win, they created a lot of chances and were very quick. But in the same time, my bet on Wales paid off ;)

Congrats to @Anduin for guessing 2 exact scores :smile:

This is the table so far:

Damn, that's weak of me. Slow start, I guess, eh? :p
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

@Mr2150 For events after the game? What about England though? It's not just the Russians, eh @sparkleav ? ;)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10311310/uefa-launch-probe-after-terrible-england-russia-stadium-clashes
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    Turkey 0 Croatia 5.. Go Croatia! Be a man!
    Focus on the goal..focus on the goal
    Goal!!
    A little dirty now..
    Allahu Akbar!! Now..
    Well I didn't expect NIR to play quite so boringly.
    I would go for a free kick near the goal and send everyone to attack here here in the last minute..
    Overall, good job Poland! Should have scored one or two more, though.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Hey! Sorry I'm late!

Horrible stuff going on with the hooliganism. As can be seen from my facebook newsfeed, it is particularly shocking for many American fans, who are new to the game and unaware of the history of hooliganism. Had to tell my brother about the Heysel disaster to put this in perspective. So senseless. With the attack on the gay club in Orlando, this is a horrible week in terms of violence.

That said, let me move on to a better topic. My predictions!

Group A
    1. France: The hosts and presumptive favorites. With Pogba and Griezmann they have two star players, and a very impressive supporting cast with great holding players. Also a great keeper
    2. Swiss: good squad, should make it out

Group B
    1. England: Quite a talented generation here, with some young players. I am actually positive about England for once!
    2. Wales: Top-heavy squad in terms of talent, but a very cohesive unit with a great spirit
    I would actually switch my two now after the first result, but I will stick with what I initially believed when I first made my predictions

Group C
    1. Zee Germans: World Champions for a reason
    2. Poland: Quite a good team, will surprise people this tournament

Group D
    1. Spain: People are sleeping on them for no reason. They had a poor World Cup, but are still immensely talented. Even better, their talent is evenly distributed across the team, with no gaps.
    2. Croatia: Great midfield

Group E GROUP OF DEATH
    1. Belgium: Solid team, but missing fullbacks. Good enough to finish on top of a hard group, but with two natural centerbacks playing as fullbacks I can see them struggle in later stages against some of the teams with better widemen.
    2. Italy: Picking Ireland is enticing, and I'm supporting them this tournament, and Zlatan is of course a god, but I think Italy slightly pips Sweden to this spot.

Group F
    1. Portugal: In typical Ronaldo fashion, he has the easiest group. Shouldn't even be a competition.
    2. Austria: Second best of a bad bunch

Third Place Teams: Interesting scenario here, since some good teams will miss out because they are in harder groups. Its almost like the worse the third place team you are, the better your chances of advancing.
    1. Turkey: The Turks have a strong team, with some great players. They are the best of my third place finishers, and I'm going to give them the best chance of making it despite today's bad result.
    2. Sweden: Unfortunately for Ireland, the team I am supporting as I am there now studying abroad and they have been just wonderful hosts, I think Sweden will beat them. The Swedes will also need a result against Italy most likely, but if they can beat the Irish and draw another match then 4 points should be enough.
    3. Russia: Slovakia is not a bad team, but if the Russians beat them then they are at 4 points already, which should get them through. That is, if they are not sent home because of the behavior of some crazy fans!
    4. Romania: I can see them beating Albania and getting some sort of result against the Swiss

We shall see!
    Will give more predictions after the group stage begins, but my ranking of the teams:
    First Tier:
    1. Zee Germans
    2. France
    3. Spain
    4. Belgium
    Second Tier: England, Portugal
    Third Tier: Croatia, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy
    I'm with you there @booinyoureyes It's been a horrible week :(
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Here is my prediction based on my group stage choices. However, I am not confident making picks so early!

The real match will be between Germany and France. Germany has one hell of a difficult path to the final, having to beat Belgium, France and then maybe face Spain in the Final. That would be a gauntlet! I am picking France because they are at home, but if they meet Germany in the semis it would really be a coint toss.