Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Cahir *cough* Hamšík
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2016
    Come on, pull an England against Slovakia, Russia!

Edit: and here goes my prediction...
    @JuliusBorisov This game went just as I had planned it. But very strong Russia in the end.
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    Slovakia was also like 4-1? We're like 2-1..that is true and the Russian team aren't a dream either. They had their dream.. Belgium is a dream team heh reminds me of Van Damme..
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    2-0 to Switzerland
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Davide said:

I arrive here two days late, here are some comments in Italy's match.

I couldn't expect such a win on Belgium, but I must say that, knowing how Antonio Conte works, I expected such a game from Italy. He is a very good coach, his strength being the ability to give motivation to the players, and making the team a group of fighters on the pitch. Also, it was said that he was meticulously preparing the match from a tactical point of view, and this was plainly clear during the match.

Watching this game with my Flemish pal was bit painful, because I've adopted Belgium for this tournament, even if I am oddly cheerful and accepting of the fact that this is bit of a masochistic exercise. In the World Cup, they absolutely never won superbly but forced it through somehow.

I was a total Pirlo fan, btw, so him retiring from Italy national team helped me here!

I am starting to believe my friend when he not very affectionately has been calling the national coach Wilmots an "idioot" as long as he has had BE helm. It would be horrible if this golden generation is wasted under him!

I've actually never seen BE play greater as sum of its parts, and they struggle to even be at par of their individual talents! There was no excuse to attack narrowly on the center and make it so easy for Italy, IMO.

Italy, on the contrary had a superb team-play, really a deserved win! BBC had a magnificent segment on Conti to Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold," you can guess my delight! :smiley:
    I am normally for the underdog, but I have a soft spot for France, because whenever they have a great
    generation their gameplay is a real joy to watch.

I had never heard of Pogba before last world cup, but immediately on his first appearance thought the boy was one to watch. I'm curious to see how he has evolved.

3-0 to France maybe?

I must now be off to my pal's because he has both ITV and BBC - I on tops have a total crush on Thierry Henry as commentator!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2016
    The French are playing without their two most talented players. Bizarre! Griezmann and POgba had poor games to start the tournament, but you would imagine they'd at least get ONE chance to redeem themselves considering how great they are.

Update: Let's hope Deschamps understands his folly after this anemic first half performance and decides to not be completely dimwitted in the second half. Give us Griezmann and Pogba!
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    GRIEZMANNNNNNNN

Not only does he prove that Deschamps should have started him, but they end up with the score I predicted!
    Okidoki. Predictions until Monday in case I can't make it online during the weekend.

England 1 Wales 1: Will be a hard fought match among the two best of the Home Nations. England have more talent, Wales have possibly 2 of the three best players (I rate Kane highly). I predict a draw.

Ukraine 1 Northern Ireland 1: I got to see Northern Ireland in the qualifiers since they were in Greece's group, and they defend well in numbers. I will also be in Northern Ireland for this match, so I'm hoping for a cracker! I think they manage a draw. Hopefully Will Grigg will be on fire...

Germany 3 Poland 1: The highest scoring match I've predicted yet. Both teams are quite strong. Poland will play hard against their rivals. I expect Germany to prevail but something like a 2-2 draw wouldn't surprise me.

Italy 1 Sweden 1: I hope Zlatan scores. Italy impressed in the first match.

Spain 2 Turkey 1: Koke and Juanfran will meet their old buddy Arda in this one. Spain played poorly in the first match, but should bounce back. Turkey is an underrated and talented team. If they get a point here they could beat the Czechs and go on, but it will be difficult.

Belgium 2 Ireland 1: I think Belgium are a little overrated in this tournament without Kompany, but they should beat the Irish. Unfortunately, I am supporting the Irish :(

Iceland 1 Hungary 1: Both teams impressed in the first match. Iceland is a great story. Hopefully Iceland can score one and nick another point.

Portugal 2 Austria 1: I'm torn between my love of the Portuguese people and my distaste for Ronaldo :/. I predict Portugal wins though.

Wales 1 Russia 0: Well, I actually predict Russia gets banned :/. Sorry Bengoshi.

England 2 Slovakia 1: England advances! Slovkia as well most likely. I predict England, Slovakia and Wales make it out now.

GRIEZMANNNNNNNN

Not only does he prove that Deschamps should have started him, but they end up with the score I predicted!

I was totally amazed and gutted not to see Pogba on the start line up, as he could well be my favourite player of the tournament! I really like him.

I knew there had to be a reason I am quite cool towards Dechamps, lol...

Good on u on your prediction, but I would like to console myself in thinking that if FR had not "wasted" the first half-time with an inoptimal line-up, my 0-3 could have well come true... Plus headers were dreadfully wasted! Giroud was so off in this game.

Plus it was nice that the La Réunion-wonder, Payet, got the last goal - to me he was the man of the match, with beautiful crosses, excellent corners, free-kicks and passes. Of course, that the fantastic long pass to him came from Pogba only sweetened that goal for me...

The silver lining is that at least it was evident that the momentum started shifting France's way as soon as Pogba came in. Even if France is a team I favour, I do feel quite bad for Albania. They fought incredibly hard and can certainly be proud of their performance.

Hmmm. Tomorrow.

England 1 - Wales 2
    Ukraine 1 - Ireland 1
    Germany 4 - Poland 1
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    the polish are natural soccer players but if they win it will be some divine intervention..
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Congrats to @Skatan, again our leader here (how on Earth did you predict a draw for Switzerland?!), and @FinneousPJ - predicting a result is hard, but you managed to predict exact scores as well!

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I have to admit, this is going alot better than I would ever have anticipated. I usually really suck at this, hehe..

About the draw.. I don't know, it just felt like a high probability. It depends on each team's willingness to win more than they can afford to loose. If both teams need to win or not to loose, it will affect the game style of them. If one team need to win and the other can play draw it affects the game in another way etc. Of course it was more luck on my side than anything, but it felt when I did the prediction like both teams wanted to win more than loose.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited June 2016
    All right, I'm really excited for Poland-Germany. I've got a beer or two prepared in fridge and generally freaking our, hehe :) This could be a night to remember in Poland. Go Eagles!
    Post edited by Cahir on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    "I've got a bear or two prepared in fridge"
    @Cahir For what???
    On second thoughts, I probably don't want to know.
    Exciting round

ENG - WAL 2-1
    UKR - NIR 1-0
    GER - POL 1-1
    dunbar said:

"I've got a bear or two prepared in fridge"
    @Cahir For what???
    On second thoughts, I probably don't want to know.

I'd like to support our team with a beer in my hand. Helps for the strained throat too :) One needs to support the national team properly :)
    Cahir said:

All right, I'm really excited for Poland-Germany. I've got a bear or two prepared in fridge and generally freaking our, hehe :) This could be a night to remember in Poland. Go Eagles!

@Cahir
    Holy crap I didn't notice the typo, hahaha:) Aaa get this picture out of my head! :p
    2-1 Wales :D
    @Musigny Ouch 12 %

@Musigny Ouch 12 %

Harboe is known for their high-class, sophisticated beers. It's really the first choice for european beeristas.

Gareth bloody Bale
    I called it :D
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Yes, excellent! Everything is going according to ... NOOOOOOO!!! Damn you Sturridge! Grrrr....

Yes, excellent! Everything is going according to ... NOOOOOOO!!! Damn you Sturridge! Grrrr....

I was like 30 seconds from 1 point XD goddamnit.
    Damn, I got it the wrong way round :p