Skip to content

Shadowdancer=>Mage : the Phantom menace

Many among us installed mods to remove the invisibility component from the Staff of the Magi, because of how much cheese it allows. Shadowdancer => Mage allows a limited and, I feel, more legitimate use of invisibility.
Limited because you can only do that once a round, and it can fail (though it rarely will), more legitimate because you did something special, a rather long process that cripples you, to get such power, not simply fighting a couple of critters.
A Shadowdancer=>Mage offers many interesting things a Mage does not have, and here are a some of them:
The most obvious: Hiding in shadows and, more importantly, in plain sight.
+1 to Saving throws: far from neglectible
Shadowstep: you will get one or two uses depending on your dualling level. At first it may seem not so useful, but it has been life-saving more than once in my playthrough.

Focusing a little more on Hide in Shadows/Plain Sight,
Compared to a unnerfed Staff of the Magi, you can do the same, except only once a round.
One huge advantage: you can do that with ANY weapon. What comes first to my mind is the unused Staff of Power, overwhelmed by that of the Magi. Staff of Power gives Saving Throws bonus as well, which Staff of the Magi doesn't, and that's interesting as well.
It will also work with two other rather important weapons, namely Staff of the Ram and Black Blade of Destruction. Both work and are very good for backstab, which offers a very interesting versatility. Let's say you dual at level 9. As a Shadowdancer that's a *3 multiplier. That's virtually three APR, which is rather decent as a secondary way of getting rid of some specific enemies.
Hide in Shadow invisibility can be detected by divination spells, of course, but not by remove/dispel magic, which occasionnally proved useful

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Yep, a shadowdancer is such an OP character, if used right. And if a high-level mage wasn't powerful enough, him getting a shadowdancer's abilities is even more powerful.

The only downside is the fact that you play the whole BG1 as a shadowdancer and can't use spells (if you wanted to). But if you can live with that (or start in BG2), it's neglectable.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    I think all the mage thief combinations are powerful and I enjoy them quite a lot, though I tend to favour the thief/cleric. The Shadowdancer mage was my first flirtation with the concept, however, and I remember it fondly.

The shadowdancer's hiding ability is very nice, but is somewhat reduced in power--comparitively to the other thief kits--by the fact that oil of speed and, I think, haste spells reduce the time require to regain Hide in Shadows to half it's normal downtime, which allows even unkitted thieves to run around a corner (of which there is no shortage in the game) and hide in half the time.

Though it is fun to use the Shadowdancer ability to mimic a thief with unlimited potions of invisiblity.

It's best to get a run up to backstab targets, so that by the time the backstab is successful the Hiding ability has been regained.

Boots of speed and Whispers of Silence are essential equipment, as the usefulness of these items remains all the way to the end of the game. Boots of speed stack with potions, as well, allowing the thief to break the sound barrier.

But Whispers of Silence is the mage/thief's ultimate companion, more than any weapon I'd say. You can do away with a lot of defensive spells with undispellible invisibility, Shadowdancer or not.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    If you don't stay as a shadowdancer you're missing out on the real fun. You can use Shadowstep -> Detect Illusions to destroy all mage illusions through Spell Immunity. The Shadow Twin HLA is also hilariously broken. You can create a duplicate which can use all your HLAs. Including making its own Shadow Twins (which sadly lack items but can still use all abilities so you can spam Shadowstep 20 times to wear out buffs or use your HLAs to tank) and use Assassination on yourself + duplicate for insane damage, then when it dies you can summon another one since you can gain an extra use every level. I practically soloed Ascension Abazigal with a shadowdancer.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2015

If you don't stay as a shadowdancer you're missing out on the real fun. You can use Shadowstep -> Detect Illusions to destroy all mage illusions through Spell Immunity. The Shadow Twin HLA is also hilariously broken. You can create a duplicate which can use all your HLAs. Including making its own Shadow Twins (which sadly lack items but can still use all abilities so you can spam Shadowstep 20 times to wear out buffs or use your HLAs to tank) and use Assassination on yourself + duplicate for insane damage, then when it dies you can summon another one since you can gain an extra use every level. I practically soloed Ascension Abazigal with a shadowdancer.

Artemius, can you go into detail for me on how to effectively play a shadowdancer. I've only tried it once and the kit ultimately felt very weak to me. After reading many posts on it's apparent effectiveness, I'm now starting to think that I simply have no idea on how to play it. If you could enlighten an obvious novice, I would be most grateful. :)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @cbarchuk: Most people just use it to backstab, I think. It requires less micromanagement than having a thief run around a corner to hide.

Also, @Grum has figured out a way to radically decrease visibility time for Shadowdancers, and I use it for basically all of my thieves these days. After you hide in shadows, click Detect Traps (most any button besides the stealth button will do, actually). This will re-set the timer for stealth, but it won't turn you visible for another two rounds. This means you can go invisible, detect traps, wait 6 seconds, backstab, and then immediately go invisible once more. This way, a Shadowdancer or a blind thief can backstab with near-constant invisibility. If you don't do this, there will be several seconds per round in which the thief will be visible and vulnerable.

Personally, I think of Shadowdancers as a more defensive kit. I'm currently using a dual-classed Shadowdancer->Cleric, and once she recovers her thief levels, I will be able to make her vanish at any time, which means she can never get overwhelmed or cornered unless the enemy can see through invisibility. It's a fantastic escape option.

@Artemius_I: I tested it out and the Shadow Twin trick works perfectly, though unfortunately there's a limit to how many times you can cast Shadow Twin. I thought you meant each clone could always cast Shadow Twin at least once, but the number depends on how many times the original character chose the HLA, since clones don't get HLAs you've already used. Even so, the clones should have 5 castings of Shadowstep or more, which is more than enough time to wait out PFMW and Absolute Immunity spells.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I knew about this since the day Shadowdancers were "nerfed" and I posted a few hints on the forum but I never told everyone about it directly because I was afraid it would be removed and Shadowdancer is my favorite kit.

I know another special trick involving Wild Mages, BG1 and infinite spells + permanent Improved Alacrity but it's a secret! :wink:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Gotural: Is that the hotkey trick? I'm afraid it's not possible to set a hotkey for Nahal's Reckless Dweomer anymore.

You can always get around nerfs by modding. With a little tweaking, you could replace, say, Larloch's Minor Drain with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, add an effect to NRD to make it restore a level 1 spell, and cast it infinitely via hotkey. I could post an edited spell file that would make that possible, I think.