Skip to content

Top 5 crappy NPCs to have in party BG2EE all the way to TOB endgame.

Hi,

I am curious to find out what you guys think are the top 5 crappiest NPC (hopelessly lousy) to have in a party.

Planning to start a new run with these NPCs.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah yes I have done this many a time, so I would usually go with: cernd, jan, aerie, jaheria, haer'dalis, now some would argue that haer'dalis is absolutely amazing and blah blah, and in theory yes he can be, but at the end of the day if he isn't buffing up, I find him to be kind of balls, and with this team make up, there is no grand mastery, very small weapon choices, no full mages, HP on everyone will be garbage, saves will be mediocre at best, no horrid wilting from our good ol' friend mr jansen so thats an extra lol, although a lot of divine healing ( which you will probably need) and to top it off, I would make my character a druid, just for the extra lousiness, and since cernd can no longer use quarterstaffs while shape shifted it will make for an interesting play through, I've done this before in the vanilla SoA and made it all the way to the end of ToB before I stopped playing that file, it was pretty good times
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you don't know how to use them very well, Cernd, Jan, Jaheira, Haer'dalis, and Hexxat would probably be good choices. They all have tons of potential (we could dedicate a whole thread to that), but only if you know what to do with them.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Hmm, Cernd, Haer'Dalis is 2 of my weakness in boss fights.

I should pay more attention to these 2 NPCs.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited January 2016
    There are no bad NPC's in Baldur's Gate, just people that don't know how to properly use them. Haer'Dalis is one of the strongest characters in the game, and Cernd is a druid with 18 wisdom, even with the shapeshifter kit not being very strong, a druid with 18 wisdom is not bad.
    A few questions,

Hexxat - anyone noticed she has quite a lot of critical hits?

Haer'Dalis -- what weapons should he use during ToB endgame?

Dorn -- any idea how to make him stop pestering for romance without modding (or murdering him)?

Jaheira - any idea why during early and mid SoA, at AC -8 she still get hit very often?

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited January 2016
    Bubbles said:

A few questions,

Hexxat - anyone noticed she has quite a lot of critical hits?

Haer'Dalis -- what weapons should he use during ToB endgame?

Dorn -- any idea how to make him stop pestering for romance without modding (or murdering him)?

Jaheira - any idea why during early and mid SoA, at AC -8 she still get hit very often?

Hexxat - She shouldn't be getting any more critical hits. The only way that I can think of that increases your critical chance is the Two Handed Weapon Style, not sure if the Luck spell does it as well.

Haer'Dalis - Haer'Dalis comes with an illegal ** in Short Sword, so if you have him wield Short Swords, he'll get an additional 2 damage and 1 Thac0. Short Sword of the Mask in one hand and Kundane in the other, is a good setup. You could also chose not to use Short Swords and instead put a Scimitar (Spectral Blade) or Ninjatø (Usunos) and then have Belm or Kundane in your other hand for the additional APR.

Dorn - If you have Shadowkeeper, you can go into the variables and put his romance to 'failed'. You could also tell him that you're not interested? Not sure how it works with Dorn specifically.

Jaheira - She shouldn't be any easier to hit than your other characters. Are you using a ranged weapon on her? The character get a minus to AC in close combat if you're using a ranged weapon. Ironskin (level 5) is an amazing spell for Jaheira, and one of the reasons she is a really efficient tank.
  • A party of 5 Cernds & CHARNAME, probably.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    SionIV said:

Haer'Dalis - Haer'Dalis comes with an illegal ** in Short Sword

... and if you recruit him later, at level 15, then ** in Long Sword as well. Unless you push really hard in the early game, this tends to mean delaying recruitment until you return from rescuing Imoen.

The extra proficiencies aren't so much "illegal" as "special abilities". Apparently this is meant to represent a racial bonus of Tieflings.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    From what I recall its actually because he is a doomguard.
    elminster said:

From what I recall its actually because he is a doomguard.

Ah yes, I've heard that explanation as well, now that you remind me. Are you officially confirming that the latter explanation is the correct one?

But in any case, it's clearly a deliberate design decision, not some sort of error.
    what about 5 biff the understudys and charname? I had biff the understudy in vanilla bg once, and it was hilarious, he is just a fighter with 9s in all his ability scores
    sarevok57 said:

what about 5 biff the understudys and charname? I had biff the understudy in vanilla bg once, and it was hilarious, he is just a fighter with 9s in all his ability scores

Ha ha! Brilliant!

But does Biff the Understudy still exist in the EEs (apart from his scripted role in the BG2 playhouse quest, of course)? Unlike the original games, I've never seen him appear as a substitute in response to any bug or player-error.
    @Gallowglass: Biff was just there to fill in for any plot-related characters who got killed off. Because BG2 was darker and more serious, they instead used the MINHP1 item and similar items to guarantee that plot-related characters can never die. EE uses the BG2 system for handling plot-related characters: instead of bringing in a substitute, they prevent the characters from dying in the first place.

It would be quite hilarious, however, to kill Irenicus in Spellhold and then fight Biff the Understudy at Suldannessellar.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Kilivitz said:

Grum said:

The only truly weak characters are raasad in baldurs gate 1

To be fair, though, Monks were not originally intended to be played at such low levels.
    To be fair...he is still worthless. I've used him in two runs now and both times I'd rather have summoning spells than him.

Now my monk Charname+Raasad run? That was truly and utterly painful.

Grum said:

Kilivitz said:

Grum said:

To be fair, though, Monks were not originally intended to be played at such low levels.
    To be fair...he is still worthless. I've used him in two runs now and both times I'd rather have summoning spells than him.

if he is so worthless why to you keep bringing him along? is it for the items that you get from his cloud peaks quest that make it worth while? I would just rather use Khalid and kivan and just scrap rasaad ( or how ever his name is spelled)

If I'm planning to include Rasaad on the team in BG2ee (in which Rasaad becomes very strong), then for role-playing continuity I'll often include him in BG1ee as well. I agree that in BG1ee he's one of the weaker characters, but nevertheless he's not useless, especially towards the end of BG1ee when he's started developing his innate spells. In BG1ee, I generally find it best to use Rasaad at range for the first few levels (and he seems to be pretty good with Darts), and then let him start going into melee from about level 6 onwards (by which point his fists have become reasonable weapons by BG1 standards).

Even when I'm not including him in the permanent team, I normally swap him in temporarily, to complete his personal quest (which is pretty good, IMO) and get the XP and items.
    I wonder who the first D&D monk was. Who thought it was a good idea to fight without weapons or armor? And how on earth did he or she survive when they ran into a fighter with a real weapon?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    sarevok57 said:

Grum said:

Kilivitz said:

Grum said:

if he is so worthless why to you keep bringing him along? is it for the items that you get from his cloud peaks quest that make it worth while? I would just rather use Khalid and kivan and just scrap rasaad ( or how ever his name is spelled)

The first time because I didn't know her and wanted to experience the quest. The second time for the challenge (I planned to use him and monk Charname through the entire saga). The second time was fulfilling as the two went from reload addicts to demigods.
    Hmm,
    My latest shortlist...
    1. Me(swashbuckler)
    2. Viconia (took her along in case i messed up Cernd)
    3. Cernd

So 3 more slots to fill ...
    Welcome all opinions and suggestions...

I wonder who the first D&D monk was.

Good question. Answers, anyone?

Who thought it was a good idea to fight without weapons or armor?

Some ancient Chinese monks, probably ... as transmitted to the devs of D&D by kung fu movies.

And how on earth did he or she survive when they ran into a fighter with a real weapon?

When they first tried it, it probably went very badly.

Nevertheless, those of my friends who know about such things tell me that, if you're quick and know exactly what you're doing, then it is indeed quite feasible for an unarmed guy to win against a guy with a melee weapon, because wielding a weapon makes him slower. A friend of mine (who is serving military) demonstrated this point on another friend of mine one evening a couple of years ago, in the sitting-room of my home. It was actually a rather impressive demonstration :astonished: ... but unfortunately my other half wasn't impressed with what they did to the furniture :rage:.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Monks, sorcerors, and barbarians are third edition classes that were bastardized adapted for BGII... Honestly they don't really work, but that's just my not so humble opinion...
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Also, when I think of monks, I think of Dragon Quest III. There's a game for "roll" players and "powergamers" right there...
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154

Monks, sorcerors, and barbarians are third edition classes that were bastardized adapted for BGII... Honestly they don't really work, but that's just my not so humble opinion...

Barbarians were originally a 2E KIT! Not a class at all. They make much more sense to me as a type of fighter than as a class all their own.
    Funny thing about Sorcerers, the modified magic system I use in my own PnP game is somewhere in between Mage and sorcerer. But I don't really like it as an alternative. I prefer the idea that magic works in a certain way in a certain setting. One or the other please! The "choice" feels gamey, not "real".
    Monk just isn't my thing. No biggie, just not for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think i can appreciate Cernd better that Jaheira, personality wise (in the terms of banter and voice)
    I an quite annoyed by Jaheira's personality (and the voice too ^^, kind of too old for her).

• abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Kilivitz said:

Grum said:

True. Monks at low levels are pretty bad, but I've played a level 40 monk. Care to see his stats?

AC -10
    Immune to poison
    78% magic resistance
    Also, I've seen him deal upwards of 50 damage with one critical. It all depends on what level you play them at.

@abazigal5: Take your monk, cast Mirror Image via Ilbratha, and use Slayer Change. There's a weird trick that lets you stay in Slayer form indefinitely if you cast Mirror Image before using Slayer Change, and the Slayer's base 50 MR stacks with monk MR. It also works with the Ascension upgrades to Slayer Change.