Skip to content

Top 5 crappy NPCs to have in party BG2EE all the way to TOB endgame.

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Bubbles, that is the shield I intended, and if I remember well you find the spear in the same quest and maybe is related to horses, stranges horses whith a single horny protuberance on the forehead, get it?
    protects agaist more stuff than the shield.
    About the helm and psyonics as in item upgrade mod you can upgrade it to protect against them I'm pretty shure it doesn't do unmodded.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @gorgonzola, I am running unmodded game at the moment.
    I was doing a trial run earlier with a modded Firetooth xbow with a Swashbuckler in Rasaad's quest an also at the enclave to get a feel of the battles.
    Playing unmodded game without a healer and trying to do every quest possible can be a very challenging experience .. a hell lot of micromanagement and re-thinking.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Charm and Domination both use the same opcode, opcode 5. Anything that grants immunity to charm, like the Helm of Charm Protection, also grants immunity to domination.

The only other charm opcode is Control Creature, opcode 241, which you can access using Control Undead. It works on basically everything, but plot-related characters in EE appear to be immune.

The Spear of the Unicorn grants immunity to hold and charm, as well as a +3 to saves vs. death. It's in the Troll Mound in the Druid Grove during the Trademeet questline.
    @semiticgod, ah yes that spear, but still, against confuse and chaos I guess only that shield could do it or is there any other items that has similar properties like that?
    As I have alredy told there is the talking sword from the sewers under Copper Coronet.
    @Bubbles: Lilarcor and Aeger's Hide both block confusion and chaos (chaos uses the confusion opcode; they're the same thing).

Lilarcor blocks charm and confusion.

Aeger's Hide blocks confusion.

The Shield of Harmony blocks hold, paralysis, confusion, and charm.

A Potion of Clarity blocks confusion, charm, feeblemind, and fear.
    @semiticgod thank you very much.
    After so many playthrough I missed Aeger's hide oh dear.
    @semiticgod, any idea monk charm immunity covers?
    Another way to counter charm chaos and so on is equipping items and using spells that increase the chance to roll the save, is not a 100% effective strategy since there is always a chance to fail, but usually similar effects are very annoyng in early game because ou always fail and in end game you can almost ignore the problem because you usually roll the save. Whith the mods I use every skeleton, also the normal low level ones, cast similar spells so I had the chance to test how effective are good saving throws.
    I am not shure if rolling a 1 there is a critical miss on savings like on thaco, or whith very good savings is possible to have 100% success rate. I belive that in not EE the critical miss is possible, but in the net I don't find a common agreement about it and don't know if in EE the thing is implemented like in notEE.
    There is also a potion that grants auto roll and success in savings, but is something quite rare that has to be saved for the really difficoult battles, anyway to buy or steal every potion of that type you find is wise.
    About monks, no experience at all whith them, semiticgod will tell about....
    No critical failures on saves. But testing has found that you might have to have a save of 0 or -1, not just a save of 1, to guarantee a successful save, assuming no modifiers. Get it low enough and you will be immune, but it might have to be lower than you'd think. Only in IWD2 does a 1 always guarantee a failed save.

@Bubbles: Monks aren't immune to confusion. No kit gets permanent immunity to confusion, though both Berserkers and Barbarians can gain temporary immunity with their rage abilities.

The simplest way to get immunity to confusion is through Chaotic Commands, which is dispellable but lasts a long time and blocks almost all disablers, even stun and maze. Any cleric or druid can cast it at level 9.
    @semiticgod I am using 5 EE NPCs in party for a challenge run + Charname is an Archer.
    So I deliberately opted out clerics/druids for the challenge.
    Game play is unmodded set to core rules+trying my best not to re-load( not very successful).
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Minsc, no storiline or good fighting.
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216

No critical failures on saves. But testing has found that you might have to have a save of 0 or -1, not just a save of 1, to guarantee a successful save, assuming no modifiers. Get it low enough and you will be immune, but it might have to be lower than you'd think. Only in IWD2 does a 1 always guarantee a failed save.

@Bubbles: Monks aren't immune to confusion. No kit gets permanent immunity to confusion, though both Berserkers and Barbarians can gain temporary immunity with their rage abilities.

The simplest way to get immunity to confusion is through Chaotic Commands, which is dispellable but lasts a long time and blocks almost all disablers, even stun and maze. Any cleric or druid can cast it at level 9.

Potion of Clarity will also help if you don't have a cleric or druid handy.
    @biffyclanger
    Oh yes that potion, chaos is also a headache and both chaos and confusion is different opcode :(
    I still haven't figure out what is the opcade for chaos.
    @Bubbles: They're not different opcodes. Both chaos and confusion are the same opcode, opcode 128.
    @semiticgod,
    Do you have a link to opcode list and their functions? If you have can you provide me the link? Thank you.
    Very often, the item description is not detailed enough, so I have to look at their opcode to grasp the full idea.
    @semiticgod
    It would seem that the Shield of Harmony and Lilarco have the most complete mind shielding now that 128 is known to me.
    edited January 2016
    @Bubbles
    Bubbles said:

@semiticgod,
    Do you have a link to opcode list and their functions? If you have can you provide me the link? Thank you.
    Very often, the item description is not detailed enough, so I have to look at their opcode to grasp the full idea.

try
    http://gemrb.org/iesdp/opcodes/bgee.htm
    credits to gemrb.org and IESDP
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    @gorgonzola,
    I visit that site frequently but I do no know where they put a list of opcodes.
    #101 protection from opcode - do not give a list of opcodes and what they do.
    The list in that link is what it is seen when using DLTCEP.
    for #101 protection from opcode
    look at Parameter #2: opcode with a modding tool,
    it will tell you which is the opcode that protection from opcode protects from.
    look at the link given to determine what that opcode do.

So if op #101 has in Parameter #2 op #78 (0x78) State: Disease [78] the character is protected from desease.
    @gorgonzola
    the list of op values is what I am looking for (#78 thing and what they do).
    @gorgonzola
    By the way, which tweaks will add kits to old BG1?
    @Bubbles, about a more detailed list of what each op value really do other then giving a name I can't help, maybe some modder.
    The same for the tweaks as I don't play bg1 only 2. But I tink that the mods that lets you play old bg1 in bg2 engine adds the kits.
    Google for Tutu and Trilogy.
    @gorgonzola
    Oh yeah the key thing is the engine!! Now I recalled it.
    Once that Engine is in place the BG1 will be alot more decent looking.
    Thanks you very much.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Bubbles said:

@semiticgod
    It would seem that the Shield of Harmony and Lilarco have the most complete mind shielding now that 128 is known to me.

Add the Equalizer to the list. Fantastic weapon for its price, and often overlooked.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Adjatha the drinker has a fair use case
    @lroumen
    Oh yes the drinker, an early acquisition.

@jinxed75
    The equalizer will be a later acquisition.

And I guess there is only 1 item that fends of psionics and another item that prevents stunning (buy charge based).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can also save underdark brine potions for later. I'm sure you can get at least 7 but you likely do not need to protect all of your party members. Just skip the sewers and WK illithid until after the underdark
    @Bubbles: There should be a file with a list of all opcodes in your EE folder, with the name "bgEEEffects." Attached is my file, in .txt format.

You can also check the Chaos spell in Near Infinity. It should use opcode 128, just like Confusion.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Minsc, no storiline or good fighting.

Nobody expected anything different from the Drow lady.