Skip to content

Windows 10 broke the game?

Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
What happened? I only updated my windows and now neither BG:EE nor BG2:EE can launch. When trying to launch the game it crashes and a box appears telling me there was a problem with the game. But after some research I find that the games are still supposed to be working with Windows 10.

I am in the middle of a play-through (with mods) and just re-installing must be my last option.

What can I do?

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2016
    Does it crash with a crash dump, or does it stop responding and crash with no crash dump?

If it has a crash dump, could you zip up the DMP file and attach it here?

Edit: they should be located under Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash\
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Troodon80 said:

Does it crash with a crash dump, or does it stop responding and crash with no crash dump?

If it has a crash dump, could you zip up the DMP file and attach it here?

Edit: they should be located under Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash\

There is no crashdump... It just asks me if I want to find out more and send me to this webpage:
    https://www.beamdog.com/support/766?error=255&lang=en
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Reinstall the OpenAL software, Windows 10 probably didn't keep it. That was enough to fix the problem for another user.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Also try reinstalling your graphics drivers... Windows 10 often makes a mess of them when updating.

If you are using a full hd display or better also turn off scaling in compatibility tab of the games.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Remember to run as administrator. I have got it working... Had to force install an old driver.

Don't reinstall until you have checked your display drivers...

I'm going to make a thread to explain how I did it... it may help you. Keep your eyes peeled.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited January 2016
    I had the same problem after updating to Windows 10. I am playing the Steam version and launch from the icon pinned to the task bar. I was able to get back up and running by deleting the icon, launching from the .exe in my Steam folder (or I may have launched through Steam, I can't remember) and the repinned the icon when the game launched.
    (I had to do this with some but not all of my Steam games. I generally play in airplane mode with Steam shut down to save on processor usage and improve performance.)
    edited January 2016
    Windows 10 still has some problems, mainly with graphics drivers. The new algorithm for scaling high resolution screens is also giving some headaches. If anyone has any troubles with windows 10 we could use this thread to try to help or maybe open a new thread if the OP does not wish this thread hijacked,
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    mlnevese said:

Windows 10 still has some problems, mainly with graphics drivers. The new algorithm for scaling high resolution screens is also giving some headaches. If anyone has any troubles with windows 10 we could use this thread to try to help or maybe open a new thread if the OP does not wish this thread hijacked,

I am totally fine with it!! Hope you other guys get help too. :smile:
    Umm maybe I should also add that I got the game to work by simply starting it in a different way. Since I originally bought the game, I have been forced to start the game by forcing it to use the correct graphic NVIDIA processor. Apparently it would not do that otherwise. Can't really remember what the original problem was.

Anyway so after windows 10 I simply tried to start it the regular way and voilá it worked. A bit embarrassing but ah well, at least it got solved ! :smiley:
    Windows 10 is guaranteed to surprise you every day :)
  • KeovarKeovar Member Posts: 7
    mlnevese said:

Windows 10 is guaranteed to surprise you every day :)

Kinda like getting backstabbed with a spork. I wish I had never installed this crap 'upgrade'; it broke my magnification program (I have vision issues) my photoshop, and now some games. The only 'fix' seems to be a format so I can reinstall Win7.
  • blarneystone1988blarneystone1988 Member Posts: 3
    how do I zip the file, then send it to ya'll here?
  • blarneystone1988blarneystone1988 Member Posts: 3
    here is the dmp file, that I zipped, hope you can help me.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @blarneystone1988, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I can't read the dump file but can't you describe what is happening? We might be able to fix it anyway.

Gus