Skip to content

I cheat a lot, and you? *Spoiler Warning*

I cheat almost always in my BG2 runs.
But I use mainly real life time saver cheats.

I had rolled in the past many charnames, I know the average stats that I can get rolling for 5 minutes, 1 hour or a whole afternoon, and what stats have the same chance as winning the national lottery. So I decide previously how high the stats will be, sometimes in the 10 min range and sometimes in the 2-3 hours one, and I cheat them in saving some time for real playing . But I never, outside testing purposes, cheat in illegal or unrealistic stats.

I use often some tricks to get more XP from the game, the ones that involve fighting, challenge and risk. I love to turn to stone Dragons, to get their XP, then turn them to flash again and repeat, until I am satisfied and satiated.
Sometimes I impose myself to heal them after reverting them to flash, for a little more challenge, sometimes I allow myself to Fleeblemind the first dragon, before turning it to stone for a reduced challenge. I also make good use of infinite spawning enemies and sometimes even gate in some demons just for the XP of the killing. But I never use the ranged attack from the walls of Saradush, as no risk and challenge is needed, or cheese like talking multiple times to get multiple quest XP.
This is maybe a cheese, but not a cheat, but I cheat also there.
When my party has petrified a dragon 5 times I know that it has the potential to do it other 100 times more, when the party has tanked the Demon Prince for half an hour real time to gain the XP of his infinite spawning enemies and is still full of HP and spell memorization ( thanks to spell trap or wish ) I know that it can do it for another week. So I feel not guilty to cheat in the needed XP and avoid to fight the same battle for forever, it become boring and real life time is limited.*

There are other cheats that I use, sometimes I want to have Imoen bard or dual FM, with only 4 fighter levels, or sorcerer, or maybe Nalia pure class or kitted thief, Mazzi multi. Sometimes I like to change weapon proficiences of some NPC's, almost always assign the sword and shield pips to something more usefull (imo S&S is a joke, completely wasted pips), or I want Korgan and Sarewok be GM in other weapons.
As long as I don't change the total of stats proficiencies and skills I feel free to do it and don't feel guilty about it.

There are other cheats I never use outside testing purposes, I never use CTR-Y or CTR-R, never give illegal stats, increased movement rate or APR or resistances or never cheat in equipment or weapons that are not available in that moment of the game. If I want Carsomyr for my pally he has to fight for it and wait until he have enough power to go there and get it. If I want speed boots for everybody the party has to go there and get them one by one and live with the fact that their number is limited so also the number of party members will be limited.

I am interested about how other players deal with the cheats, which ones they use or avoid and the reasons behind their choice.

*I know that using infinite XP tricks, even if "fair tricks", that involve risk and challenge, change the game balance.
But since in my modded game the balance is already changed and with the PWG strategies that I use my usual parties, even without farming bonus XP, are overpowered after just few quests for me is fine.
I like the RP idea of a charname and his party starting uderpowered against overpwered enemies (Tactics Iliych and so on), then growing fast to become the most powerful adventurers group in all Amn. In different runs I chose different quest order to fight them both with the OP and UP option. And when I am OP I try to not overkill, but use the power only as more versatility, to allow more tactics in the same battle. I give bonus XP according to that criteria, I don't want to reach XP cap at the first dragon.

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    bengoshi said:

I'm playing the game as I like it.
    And you're playing it the way you like it the most.

That's the most correct choice.

I agree, but I am interested in knowing the way that is good for other people, cheat related.
    Which ones they use, if and why they feel guilty about, the reasons why they chose to cheat or not.
    I could have created this topic as a poll, do you cheat? Never-sometimes-always. But I think that as a poll the focus of the discussion would be more on how much, and not on why and which way.

This game can be played in so many ways according to player preference and I am really interested in knowing how different people find their own way to having fun playing it.
    An other cheat I almost always do is to give a bag of holding to charname at the beginning of the game.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited February 2016
    I don't use cheat but:
    - i reroll for great stats (and it's legit) anyway i abuse of stat books, i usually start the game, get the most easy books and export the character many times till i obtain the points that i want (i love the fighter/mage/thief so many stats are important)
    - i use a xp cap remover for bg2 (always because of the fighter/mage/thief)

Many could say that i lose time rerolling and then export/import, but for me it's legit, otherwise it would be cheating. Anyway i think that a single player game should be played in the way that it's more enjoyed.
    Having so many ways to play these games made the bg series so amazing, after almost 20 years a lot of people still love them
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Sometimes I just set the difficulty on Easy and roll with it with no guilt. Nah I'm kidding, I've never played any session above easy :(

In multiplayer with a friend I believe I found a way to duplicate loot found on the ground (after an opponent dies), which could easily lead to infinite money or duplicate equips. It's hard to do because it seems to rely on latency, quicksaves and luck. Haven't figured out the pattern yet.

Also in multiplayer, if you rage a barb before resting you get all your health back after a measly 8 hour rest.

Rest until healed in singleplayer, enough said. I'm starting to wonder why bioware even put that in.

Power word : reload can get quickly out of hand with me. Sometimes I just do it until an enemy misses his save. Lame.

I made some characters with vampire bite, basilisk projectile, greater ghast touch, green slime insta-gib and mind flaying as their main weapons. Suffice to say the roleplaying is impossible with those, but i'll be damned if it isn't hilarious to play.

Talk to an NPC, disengage and attack. They get stuck in the "waiting-for-you-to-speak-to-me" pose and do nothing while you beat them up. Using that on a dragon is extremely underwhelming.

Shoot an area-of-effect spell just right out of view into the fog, because your filthy brain remembers there's a group of nasty nasty waiting. A little feeling of guilt here.

Back away from a enemy mage's line of sight, rest and clear his buffs, reengage. That has to be the biggest game-breaker I can think of.

Fight Drizzt and reload a million times until the Stupefier crit + stuns him. Very tedious.

Use my maxed assassin to backstab Elminster and reload until I get a crit for ~115 damage. Silly but legit.

Surprisingly I could never get myself to CTRL+Y something. Not even the ghost knights in BG1. At this point I'm kind of proud of myself for this. Wooho.
    edited February 2016
    Daevelon said:

Many could say that i lose time rerolling and then export/import, but for me it's legit, otherwise it would be cheating.

This show pretty well how different people can have different feelings about what is cheating (in a single player game) and how their personal feelings are so important in deciding what they will allow or deny themselves to do.
    Functionally reroll and export/import or cheat in with EEkeeper bring the same result, better stats.
    Is just the feeling that change, using EEkeeper would make you feel "guilty", not using it would make others feel "real life time wasters". Both ways can be good or wrong, depending on our feelings.
    Being myself curious about human nature I am more interested in this kind of things than in knowing how other players build their F/C.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    While it's obviously okay to do whatever you think is right, I can definitely recommend taking a good, long look at what you are doing and how you are evaluating it - and why. A bit of critical thinking can save you a lot of time.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

I see nothing wrong with convenience and time-savers.

No one can tell me it's an achievement to be able to sit there and click "roll" for 20 minutes until the stats come up the right way. Don't waste your life, EEKeeper things in as you think is fair. Waiting 60 seconds while you move from one corner of the map to the next until the last straggler has found their way through that one narrow passage? Ctrl+J and no more impulses to fiddle with your phone while you're "playing".

One technical drawback of using CTRL-J is a possible bypass of trigger activations. If you perfectly know a particular section of the game, using CTRL-J is likely safe (and I don't think that Bioware/Beamdog use such features for top important things) but when this is an unknown territory / mod, it may have a strong impact.
    CTRL-Y is a different beast and using it may have a side effect but there is no real reason to use it while playing (as oppose to testing).
    Oh, lots of these "creative play" methods have side effects. As always, you are advised to exercise caution. Should go without saying, really, but it's good you spelled it out for those people who didn't know.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605

While it's obviously okay to do whatever you think is right, I can definitely recommend taking a good, long look at what you are doing and how you are evaluating it - and why. A bit of critical thinking can save you a lot of time.

Of course, but critical thinking doesn't make change what a person feels inside heart :D
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I cheat alot, mainly to change things or speed up game play after playing vanilla for long.

Ctrl-J: Mandatory on PC. I miss it ALOT when playing on Ipad.
    Faking charname stats/race: If I start in BG2, is usually have the backstory form BG1 in my head already, so I keeper in the tome stats on the char and sometimes add in items to the chest in Irenicus dungeoun. Wish I could do that on Ipad as well. I've played without racial restrictions for some time now as well. I just want to play the char I want to play, no matter the race and class combination of the original rules.
    Kitting MC charnames: Mandatory nowadays, mainly for RP reasons and very seldom for powergaming. Always comes with some self-restrictions though, such as an assassin/mage not being allowed any offensive spells such as fireballs etc, only buffing spells, or adding higher profiences to a blade to mimic haer'dalis doomguard kit but at the cost of bhaal spawn powers or other spell restrictions.
    Changing NPC's: Sometimes I change proficences a bit, but I tend to stick with the concept of the char. I might change Jaheira's profs for specialization in scimis and remore clubs etc so she can get better use of Belm or whatever. I also add EXP in some rare occasions when an NPC is very underleveled.
    I sometimes, when I want to rush things, steal/sell 'til I get alot of gold.

Daevelon said:

Of course, but critical thinking doesn't make change what a person feels inside heart :D

Uh, yes. That's the whole point.
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    I always roll BG2 characters and then give them the tomes. I really don't actually enjoy playing BG1. For some reason giving them the tomes feels better than adding the stats in EE lol. I know its arbitrary but oh well.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    So many people with tome fetish. Spread the love!
    Xzar needs that wisdom time, branwen that dexterity tome, safana that intelligence tome....
    Well, in some playthroughs perhaps. I generally use only some on the protagonist, when it makes sense.