Skip to content

FAQ #1 [Archive]

CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
What is Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
BG:EE is an upgraded version of Baldurs Gate, and the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion.
Information can be found at baldursgate.com.

What are some improvements we will see with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
1) Improved user interface. The old Baldur's Gate interface was created around 640x480 resolution. We are going in and re-writing the UI system to work for multiple larger resolutions and we are using the iPad 3 (at 2048x1536) as one of our target resolutions.
2) Convert the graphics completely over to OpenGL. By using the hardware present in all devices, we can run BG at higher resolutions and run it faster and smoother that it ever could before.
3) The addition of the ability to zoom in and out dynamically during gameplay.
4) Expanding platforms that it will be available on.
5) Expanding language base available.

Will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition be available in different languages?
Yes. English, French, Italian, German, Spanish (EFIGS) are all confirmed languages that should be available at launch, and the game should include all the languages in one version. More languages are on the way, including Polish, but cannot be confirmed at this time. They correspond to the language forums that we currently have open. We hope to include them at launch as well.

What platforms will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition be released on?
Windows PC, Mac OSX, iPad, and Android Tablets.

Will game saves be compatible across all platforms?
Yes.

Will cross platform multiplayer be available?
Yes.

What rule system will be used for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
2nd Edition D&D Rules.

Will the original quests be expanded?
The original content will remain mostly untouched. Broken quests that don't give rewards or allow exploitation of rewards will be fixed.

What are the system requirements for the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
Required System Memory (MB) 512 MB
Minimum Graphics GeForce 2 or Equivalent
Processor Speed (GHz) 1 GHZ
For Intel Hardware

Will you need an internet connection to play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
No. A connection will be required to download and install and update the game but is not required to play.

When will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition be released?
It is currently available through Beamdog for PC and Mac, through the Mac App Store for the Mac, and the App Store for iPad. There is no set release date for Android.

How much will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition cost?
The PC and Mac version are $20 and includes all the DLC. The tablet version is $10 with the DLC available as in-app purchases.

Will the Enhanced Edition be on Steam or GOG?
It is available on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

Will those that preordered be given Steam keys?
No. The Steam version is distributed by Atari. We can not request keys directly from Steam and there is no deal with Atari to give them to us. Steam keys were not promised to those that preordered.

Will there be a Baldur's Gate 3?
We are pursuing the idea.

Tanthalas edit: Fixed the pre-order price since the discount ended back in September.
Edit: Updated available versions.
Edit: Added question about Steam keys.
Edit: typo
Post edited by Dee on
DrGermArexxhartiEldoth_KronOut2lunchRhinjavarDeadstarjcdenton11lolien

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    What about savegames compatibility? Can I use my old saves from BG in BGEE?
    - Existing saves will likely not be compatible at ship.
  • DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2012
    We will add these in with the next FAQ update. Thanks!
    Post edited by DanBoulos on
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Could we sticky this thread to the top of the board?
    paulsifer42Snowblindn3ssBhaalchild
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    Will mods be able to run on the iPad version? (Sorry if this has been asked before!)
    @theacefes Updated information regarding this will be available soon.

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Q. Is it possible to import character (*.CHA) from original games to BGEE & BG2EE ?
    Lunever
    @Anton: This will be answered in an upcoming FAQ update. Thanks for the input!
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @mch202 definitely agree, this should at least be stickied to the top of the board as an announcement.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Would it be better if we asked to have it 'pinned?'
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    This is probably going to get fixed soon.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    I know this must be a stupid question but, it reads on wikipedia that you guys are making a sequel possibly of bg but also of planescape torment as well. If this is true, i prally shouldnt ask now, but is it possible that if the sales of this go well we will see a possible future series in the same universe/infinity engine?
    AzL0n
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @DKnight

Trent said:

"We're committed to iso-party based games for the forseeable future. As long as we can make enough money to eat that is. We promise to limit the 3D splashy over the top crud and make good RPGs. "-Trent

As for the infinity engine, If I recall correctly they have mentioned that a new game will be using a new engine
    paulsifer42AzL0nkingcrowley
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @DKnight The team has plans for making a BG3 in the long run, which would use the current D&D ruleset (whatever it is when the game is developed) and will most likely be set in the current D&D timeline (over 100 years after BG2). This is after all the enhancements they have planned, which officially is only BG:EE which is being released in 2 months or so and BG2:EE which is being released in 2013. They have mentioned the possibility of enhancing the Icewind Dale games and PS:T, but they don't have anything official set up for this yet.
    kingcrowley
    @DKnight

Trent said:

"We're committed to iso-party based games for the forseeable future. As long as we can make enough money to eat that is. We promise to limit the 3D splashy over the top crud and make good RPGs. "-Trent

As for the infinity engine, If I recall correctly they have mentioned that a new game will be using a new engine
    So they will use an enhanced version of the infinity engine?
  • nickhartnickhart Member Posts: 3
    Is there a process for applying to become a beta tester? I'm an iOS software engineer and a huge fan of BG and BG2. I'd like to help, but aside from a few random posts (where others are asking about beta testing or mentioning it in passing) I can't seem to find any info about this.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/833/translators-and-moderators-needed#latest

Hey nickhart, this above link will get you to the page. From there click his name and message your background.
    edited July 2012
    @DKnight

this is what I could dig up from older discussions:

TrentOster said: "My ideal party-based RPG'S is D&D, isometric and a 2D/3D mix. Great characters, voice acting on an epic story, set in an open world"

PhillipDaigle said: "Any new game we develop would have a new engine, but it would be in the style of the Infinity Engine - party based, isometric, pauseable, etc"

I hope it answer your questions... its still a long way down the road.

Post edited by mch202 on
    AzL0nkingcrowley
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Aside from the "updated information coming soon" parts, this is getting me pretty excited.
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    yes this is good news
  • suchosssuchoss Member Posts: 16
    Please, pretty please. I hope this will not be like NeverwinterNights - I dont like this 3D design made for NWN and NWN2. I am still convinced that old BG2 design is better.
    If you do 3D - please do a lock on standard isometric view.
    @suchoss well.. it wont, they are not changing the engine of the game, and regarding future projects you can read the 2 quotes in my post above, it will make you calm :)
    suchossTalvrae
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    personnally, I think that Throne of Bhaal wrapped everything up in a nice bow; so, I don't think we need a BG3. That's just my opinion though :)
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited July 2012

personnally, I think that Throne of Bhaal wrapped everything up in a nice bow; so, I don't think we need a BG3. That's just my opinion though :)

Eah? Well, you know, that's just like uh...your opinion, man ....
    willbosuchossDalsdkingcrowley
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127

Definitely did, but who says we can't continue the story? There are different ways to go at this.. either the start of your new life as a god, or continueing your story as a mortal... or considering most romances ends up in giving a kid, perhaps it could be about your son... Maybe your son could be conceived before the bhaal essence was taken out of you, and he still retains a small, minuscule essence. So small it can't ever do anything to revive bhaal.. but it could be of use to some evil antagonist?

paulsifer42suchosskingcrowley
  • InsentienceInsentience Member Posts: 2
    DanBoulos said:

Will you need an internet connection to play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
    - No.

My favourite part
    sepotterTheGrapeTyphlosionsuchosskingcrowley
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    Will Tales of the Sword Coast be built into it?
  • xan212xan212 Member Posts: 65
    Musaab said:

Will Tales of the Sword Coast be built into it?

Yes, it will!
    iBeaStpaulsifer42TheGrapeTyphlosionkingcrowley
  • Jason_SilverainJason_Silverain Member Posts: 38
    Will the BG EE be able to perform multi-player with the original games if the additional quests are not explored.
This discussion has been closed.