Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    I am disappointed, but I, too, understand the need for this. I also agree that those who pre-ordered should decide upon the bonus. I'm hoping for something I can hold in my hands, and not just digital content.

EDIT: Wait, this means I can play the original without worrying about infringing on the new ones!
  • PoePoe Member Posts: 4
    I think Buddha saw this coming...
    "I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done."
    :P
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Lemernis said:

Well, the game shouldn't be released until it's ready. I'm still looking forward to an excellent game. Make sure it's great.

But that said, Beamdog has some serious communications deficits to overcome. I'll be perfectly frank that announcing a delay only four days from release comes across as unprofessional. Ditto releasing only 10 screenshots thus far. Marketing and PR for this project seems to be virtually absent. I just hope that the game development itself is being handled more professionally. Just being honest about it.

Dude. Way too many negative thoughts. Just enjoy the pre-release time, go post in the meme thread, comment on your favorite spell, debate which romance is best. ect...
  • actionjezus6actionjezus6 Member Posts: 12
    Well... I am perfectly fine with "when it's done" modus operandi for BG:EE release, especially if it means that I could have alternative to that awful blue GUI. I know there is much more to this game then this but.. I honestly can't stand it.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012

Lemernis said:

Well, the game shouldn't be released until it's ready. I'm still looking forward to an excellent game. Make sure it's great.

But that said, Beamdog has some serious communications deficits to overcome. I'll be perfectly frank that announcing a delay only four days from release comes across as unprofessional. Ditto releasing only 10 screenshots thus far. Marketing and PR for this project seems to be virtually absent. I just hope that the game development itself is being handled more professionally. Just being honest about it.

Dude. Way too many negative thoughts. Just enjoy the pre-release time, go post in the meme thread, comment on your favorite spell, debate which romance is best. ect...
    They're grown men and women, they can handle a little constructive criticism. I just want them to be all that they can be. :)

• Kyoshiro80Kyoshiro80 Member Posts: 7
    Fluid29 said:

I love how some people just registered on this forum only to show their appreciation for the delay!

i personally was like "noooo" for 5 seconds untill i realized its the right decision.

It's not a question of being the right decision. I know it is the right decision since I - and many others - want this release to be as flawless and fine tuned as they can possibly make it. However, it is completely unprofessional and derogatory towards customers to wait almost to the release date to announce a delay this long.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    They have a big job, simultaneous release on four platforms.
  • gattopataccogattopatacco Member Posts: 7
    The delay isn't surprising, I'm sad but I agree your decision and admire your courage, make a good job and give us the perfect game!
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2012
    Part of me is actually happy about this. Gives me time to play through Black Mesa.
  • TheSavageTheSavage Member Posts: 8
    To be quite honest, the delay doesn't bother or surprise me... The late announcement is what bothered and surprised me...
  • StevenaapStevenaap Member Posts: 1
    Good (or is that brave?) choice! Reading between the lines of your Twitter feed Trent, you took on a huge job, one that might have taken longer than anticipated. Nevertheless I am convinced the extra time will benefit the final result, best of luck guys, we'll get there!
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    @VampQueen31 hehe, sorry. not a fanboy. I like BG, and i`m happy that someone is modernizing it.
    Do i jizz in my pants at everything BG? nope. Do i have blind faith in the developers? nope, Do i like a forum free of people who only post complaints and negativity ? big yes.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I yet expect an full explanation of the reasons for the delay, maybe a letter on www.baldursgate.com page explaining with more accurace the reasons of the delay.

As i said i waited for years this release, i can wait a little more time. But as many people said, there's a lack of justify here, and more than 2.000 pre-orders where sold, so Beamdog has a duty to explain well to all those customers the "why" of the release.

I take a 4 days delay announcment as an unjustified business pratice, no matter what. They could had shared with the community the problems before, this forum already has a tendency to agree or support the devs, no need to hide the problems.

The way that the problem is presented, i can't help but think that some injection of capital was needed to continue the work, and so the 18 september date was used as a bait to make a money flux on this project.

Don't take me wrong as i fully support the project, i know that a good game that justify BG legend will eventually be released, but i also understand now why some people are so much angered about this issue, they have some reasons.

So now let's wait for an official position for this delay, cos this thread was made only to inform it and something like this MUST be noticed on the main page of the site.

• ErebadGwainErebadGwain Member Posts: 2
    guys, seriously?!?! I mean I really don't give a **** about any delays to the game if it means we get a better product for the same price, by all means. But anouncing a delay three days prior to the release date?! I mean, wtf, didn't you see this coming?
    My disappointment is overshadowed by me being surprised how ridiculous this feels...I extra put in a vacation at the office looking forward, no way I'll be able to change that now, had it been a month or so earlier, I could have easily pushed back the vacation to November/December...this sucks!
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    I don't have an issue with the delay per se. If something needs fixing, then fix it! What I take issue with is this was something that most likely evident weeks ago, and not 2 business days before release! Also, the lack of information as to the why irritates me as well. This is a 14 year old game that is being overhauled, and not some fancy new apple phone.

I've seen this far too many times for comfort, where information (especially negative information) is eked out at the last second or sometimes hidden completely.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Okay, I can deal with two more months, but anything longer and I will lose interest.
  • TenxsTenxs Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Oh wow, seems I chose the wrong days to take my holidays. Crap.

Well take your time to create the perfect BG experience, I guess this the right thing to do. Seems as if I'll have to start counting in months again. Meh.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60

guys, seriously?!?! I mean I really don't give a **** about any delays to the game if it means we get a better product for the same price, by all means. But anouncing a delay three days prior to the release date?! I mean, wtf, didn't you see this coming?
    My disappointment is overshadowed by me being surprised how ridiculous this feels...I extra put in a vacation at the office looking forward, no way I'll be able to change that now, had it been a month or so earlier, I could have easily pushed back the vacation to November/December...this sucks!

This is a good example of whats wrong with the gaming industry today. People who blindly support bad business practices. People said this kind of thing in the past, excusing anti consumer behavior, and we got EA, Acitivision etc all because of apologists.

History has proved many, many times before delays do NOT make a better game. Bad communication does not either. They made it seem like Sept 18th was set in stone with the big marketing campaign to bring in more money, and to come three days before and say, sorry, we are delaying feels like a scam.
  • SarSar Member Posts: 7
    Leaving the announcement of a 2½ month delay, 72 HOURS prior to the release date is piss poor. Bloody amateurish tbh.

You MUST have had an idea that the game would have slipped before this, and yet said nothing?

Pretty pissed right now tbh. I was immensely looking forward to playing this in the lead up to the release of WoW's new expansion, but now this has been put back it's unlikely that the game will get the space and time it deserves, given that I'll be heavily into the first tier of raiding by the time this release "date" comes around. That's if another delay isn't announced on, oh say, the 28th November?
  • lakridslakrids Member Posts: 29
    better delayed than "Sword of the stars 2"....
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2012
    jflieder said:

Vonbek777 said:

@vonbek777 Actually I like the abruptness in which Trent did it. It's like ripping someone's bandaid off before they know whats happening. You would have complained no matter what, so...stop complaining. Style points to @TrentOster for a nice quick rip. I love it.

Actually, no I wouldn't have. I have lots of hoop jumping myself to do. I understand project management quite well in fact, and it is no fun being stuck in the middle. The new date for release is better for me and the wife anyhow. But a little communication or hint of a delay earlier, and the wife would not have been taking a week of leave off next week that we will now have to rush to undo before next week.

"You were planning vacation around the release of this game? That's what's got your undies in a bundle? Sounds like you're more upset with consequences of your actions than the release date change itself. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt: working right up to the deadline to make it before realizing it wasn't happening, legal hoops to jump through to announce this, etc."

Sorry, but part of your argument is totally backwards. People who planned vacations/activities around this have a right to be upset. That doesn't mean Beamdog is to blame. Nor does it mean that those inconvenienced can act like children. But in real life, people have to plan things, especially when other people are involved. So having an incorrect release date up for as long as it was is messed up. Calling the problem just a consequence of their actions doesn't make sense to me. Humans make decisions based on the information they have available at the time. When they have reason to believe the info is accurate, but it turns out not to be, they will have some cause to be upset. Saying, "Too bad, you shoulda known", doesn't make much sense in this case.
    That said, s*** happens...
  • decabadecaba Member Posts: 9
    Ah, too bad. But really, not that big a deal for me. I just hope the devs don't get burnt out so bad that they end up shipping a not-as-good-as-it-could-have-been BG2:EE later on.
  • ReoyeahReoyeah Member Posts: 10
    Damn, I kept saying to myself all this week "few days left". Now I'll return to month system xD But I'll deal with it, and enjoy Baldur's Gate experience in November/December ;)

History has proved many, many times before delays do NOT make a better game. Bad communication does not either. They made it seem like Sept 18th was set in stone with the big marketing campaign to bring in more money, and to come three days before and say, sorry, we are delaying feels like a scam.

True. Mass Effect 3 was delayed for an extra 6 months, and look at the shambles that turned out to be...
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2012
    I encourage you to read about the numerous examples of devs that stuck by their release dates when a game wasn't ready, instead of bumping the date. Some of the most notable examples:

http://bit.ly/4kb77v
    For those interested, GoG.com are selling both BG games atm (original versions + goodies) along with a bunch of other D&D games for a real bargain on their website atm, if you're gagging for a D&D/BG fix in the very lengthy meantime.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'm upset by this decision. I understand it and I respect it, better to release it fully polished than having to patch, but it still angers and annoys me. Why November and not October?

Ah well. Certainly put a damper on my enthusiastic glee, but I'm still looking forward to it. Keep up the good work.
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    Ok...going back to TOEE. The CO8 modding team just released an updated mod with new content.
This discussion has been closed.