Skip to content

Forgotten Realms Lore Questions

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Grum said:

Having bards be relegated to just humans and half elves was a crime.

Very much agree. There is a frightening amount of racism in this game ;)

Luckily EEKeeper can cure all that, and make your characters whatever you want them to be. Imagination's your limit!

I remember a sketch of a very low CHA, low INT but high STR dwarf bard I put together. Basically a rude, stupid, constantly drunk bully who just happened to be the lorekeeper of his clan because of familial circumstances. Makes people tolerate him because if they don't, he'll talk to them persuasively in a dark corner until they see the light. Or stars.
    GrumArdulJuliusBorisovmashedtaters
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Vallmyr said:

Of course, these two races can learn to resist only spells of the same level as bards are typically able to cast.
    [...]
    Of course, the demi-bard is still limited to the number of spells he can learn to counter.
    [...]"

O_O ... of course
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    edited March 2016
    SethDavis said:

Vallmyr said:

Of course, these two races can learn to resist only spells of the same level as bards are typically able to cast.
    [...]
    Of course, the demi-bard is still limited to the number of spells he can learn to counter.
    [...]"

O_O ... of course
    XD
    I didn't even notice that when I copied down the writing from the book.

Post edited by Vallmyr on
    SethDavisSpaceInvader
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    Moradin said:

@Zanso : I feel the title of the thread is accurate because with D&D 5th edition, the FR became the primary campaign setting, which means that very likely in the future any changes to either one will influence the other.
    As for the bard, I feel like some spells make little sense for a bard to have. As @DJKajuru pointed out, it is in the usually flamboyant nature of the bard itself to use certain spells rather than others. I really do not see bards as healers really, they should probably consider removing the "cure" spells from the bards' list altogether and add some "inspire toughness" or something like that to make up for those lost spells. I'm thinking rather than curing lost HPs, the bard's presence would actually inspire other PCs to clench their teeth and continue fighting through the pain (with no penalties at negative HPs, or something similar).

Didn't know that. I still play 3.5 and so not really up to date :smiley: I thought they are doing less and less Forgotten Realms stuff (setting books I mean), since I read on Forgotten Realms wiki "Forgotten Realms setting is also referenced in the 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons core books, though it has not yet been published as its own separate setting." But that's good news if it is nowadays core 5th edition. Or I hope so :smiley: 4th edition was such a disaster.
    MoradinJuliusBorisov
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    @ Vallmyr

That is amazing. I love that so damned much. Why can't BG and IWD have that? Imagine if you would for an IWD run through...

(1) Dwarven Defender-axe/shield
    (2) Dwarven Defender-hammer/shield
    (3) Dwarven Battle Rager-Great Axe (+3 with +1 Con)
    (4) Dwarven Skald-longsword/shield (for the lore longsword, helps finally be able to identify things)
    (5) Dwarven Fighter/Thief (throwing axe)
    (6) Dwarven Fighter/Cleric-dual wield flails/maces

It'd be the perfect IWD party. Ah...if only...if only...
    MoradinJuliusBorisovVallmyr
    Grum said:

EEKeeper works for IWD, too. Nothing stopping you from playing with that exact party.
    Moradin
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Just learned on the Forgotten Realms Wiki [deities/lawfulevil/Bhaal] that the novel Tantras, by Scot Clencin, contains an account of the death of Bhaal at the hands of a mortal named Cyric. Is that the same Cyric that Bassilus was associated with. I really should read the book...
    MoradinJuliusBorisov

Grum said:

EEKeeper works for IWD, too. Nothing stopping you from playing with that exact party.
    How'd I do that on an iPhone without jailbreaking is the question
    Vallmyr
    On Werewolf Island there are a few cannons set up. What is up with that? I thought there wasn't any gunpowder in the forgotten realms. Anyone able to explain?
    TressetSethDavis
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2016

Just learned on the Forgotten Realms Wiki [deities/lawfulevil/Bhaal] that the novel Tantras, by Scot Clencin, contains an account of the death of Bhaal at the hands of a mortal named Cyric. Is that the same Cyric that Bassilus was associated with. I really should read the book...

@Eadwyn_G8keeper Yes... During the Time of Troubles the mortal Cyric decided to begin hunting gods. He killed Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal, the three gods that controlled the domain of death. He then took control of all three portfolios and became a god himself. This is why...

Cyric decides to have a meeting with Charname in ToB to determine if they are a threat to his power and part of the domain he controls.
    GrumJuliusBorisovMoradinEadwyn_G8keeper
    Grum said:

On Werewolf Island there are a few cannons set up. What is up with that? I thought there wasn't any gunpowder in the forgotten realms. Anyone able to explain?

@Grum I... Never thought of that before...
    Grum
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372

If I recall correctly, Bassilus was devoted to Cyric, god of Death, Murder, Deception and Strife after the fall of Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul. That's the same Cyric that killed Bhaal during the ToT, using the sword Godsbane, Mask's avatar.
    I'd advise you to read all of the Avatar Trilogy, starting from book I. They are very informative on the events that occurred shortly before and during the Time of Trouble. I found them well written and from a DM stand point, I think they are a must read.
    illathidEadwyn_G8keeper
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Whoah, I've been tagged four times in a row , I feel special =D

What I meant , @AstroBryGuy , is that due to a bard's artistic nature, he is not likely kill a monster just for the experience, or use a spell just because it was necessary. A Skald may be specialized in battleaxes and develop tactics, but he ain't simply doing it just to pillage the next town. They sing sagas! Stuff worth being passed on to the next generation!

Eldoth Kron may be an evil selfish bard , and may be as unscrupulous as any thief, but only a bard would seriously suggest blackmailing a grand duke of Baldur's Gate while making out with his daughter... now that is quite romantic and flamboyant, isn't it?
    GrumRaduziel
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2016
    @DJKajuru - You're still ascribing a single personality type to all bards - that they must be "flamboyant", i.e., doing unnecessary things because they are "artists". Not every bard has to fit that mold, just as not every fighter has to be a mega-muscled moron with biceps bigger than his brain.

Why not a bard more like an actual historical Celtic bard? Celtic bards were part of the learned class, usually from the aristocracy, who spent over a decade in training, learning hundreds of poems and stories by heart. They were keepers of the oral history, knowledge, and the law. The wandering minstrel image didn't emerge until the coming of Christianity to Britain.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Bards can be those poet shut-ins with a streak of depression, like Edgar Allen Poe.

They can also be librarians; just keeping their books clean and telling everyone to shush.
    AstroBryGuy
    edited March 2016
    I play my Necro-Bards as lore seekers and adventurers. They've learned swordplay, magic, thievery, and magical songs and dirges to help them explore ancient tombs and ruined cities. His entire motive is the gaining of more knowledge and learning forgotten/forbidden spells.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    AstroBryGuyBanArd
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Vallmyr said:

I play my Necro-Bard as lore seekers and adventurers. They've learned swordplay, magic, thievery, and magical songs and dirges to help them explore ancient tombs and ruined cities. His entire motive is the gaining of more knowledge and learning forgotten/forbidden spells.

I wonder what will he do, once he'll discover that he can only cast spells up to level 6 xD
    Vallmyr
    edited March 2016

Vallmyr said:

I play my Necro-Bard as lore seekers and adventurers. They've learned swordplay, magic, thievery, and magical songs and dirges to help them explore ancient tombs and ruined cities. His entire motive is the gaining of more knowledge and learning forgotten/forbidden spells.

I wonder what will he do, once he'll discover that he can only cast spells up to level 6 xD
    Thankfully my BG version of him has UAI and can cast from scrolls and my 3.5 version always maxes Use Magic Device to cast from scrolls he normally can't use. Not sure what I'll do for 5e. I haven't read up on 5e Bards enough.

Edit: It's more about collecting the spells than practically using them. He also hordes magic items for the sake of knowledge.
    SpaceInvader
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Moradin said:

I'd advise you to read all of the Avatar Trilogy, starting from book I. They are very informative on the events that occurred shortly before and during the Time of Trouble. I found them well written and from a DM stand point, I think they are a must read.

It's probably the best series of FR novels, anyway. If I were to recommend FR books to someone, it would be the Avatar Trilogy.

Moradin
    I have a question!

So, drow have their own language right? How much of this drow language has been canonized? Like, I play various FR games and encounter various drow in them, and to my surprise they say some of the same stuff! Words like "Vendui" and "Oloth plynn dos" and a great deal more get used repeatedly not only in BG but in other games as well, such as NWN. Where do these words come from and how is it that people have enough time on their hands to make up a real language for an imaginary race?
    Moradin
    In an edition of Dragon Magazine it had some Drow names and their meanings, not sure which. I also have The Drow of the Underdark for 2e and 3e and they have a small dictionary of Drow language in the 2nd edition one as well as more names and what they mean in the 3rd edition one. If you want I could type out the words they have along with their translations but it would take me a while, would have to wait until the weekend. Also I'm unsure if transcribing the words would have any copyright issues.
    JuliusBorisovTressetMoradinlolien
    Vallmyr said:

Also I'm unsure if transcribing the words would have any copyright issues.

It probably would... I think @Dee would know.
    Tresset said:

I have a question!
    Where do these words come from and how is it that people have enough time on their hands to make up a real language for an imaginary race?

Klingon anyone? Wait, wait, wait...no Tolkien Elvish!
    Tresset

Tresset said:

I have a question!
    Where do these words come from and how is it that people have enough time on their hands to make up a real language for an imaginary race?

Klingon anyone? Wait, wait, wait...no Tolkien Elvish!
    Those too...
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Tresset said:

I have a question!

So, drow have their own language right? How much of this drow language has been canonized? [...]

Some words are commonly used in RA Salvatore's books, like "piwafwi", which is a cloak with several magical powers drow nobles usually wear. It is not far fetched to assume, though, that since drows are essentially elves (they were cast down after Lolth's attempted assault towards the other elven deities around -10.000 DR), their language has very likely evolved from high elven. I suppose how the drow language evolved from elven might be similar to how Indo-European languages evolved from a common origin.

On a totally unrelated note, reading Spellstorm, yesterday I discovered something that I found interesting and wanted to share. Don't click on the spoiler if you are planning to read the book.

Manshoon is a chosen of Mystra...
    This might have developed after 5th edition was introduced, because there was no mention whatsoever to anything like that in earlier description of Mr M. That also makes him the latest one of the very high level mages created by Ed Greenwood to be a chosen, since we know from previous books that:
    1) Halaster Blackcloak was given the mantle of chosen of Mystra and cured from his insanity in exchange for helping Elminster out of Hell in "Elminster in Hell";
    2) Larloch was a chosen of the original Mystryl, as described in "The Harald";
    3) the seven sisters and Khelben have been known to be chosen of Mystra ever since they were first described.
    I have no quarrel with that, I'm just thinking that maybe all the "chosen" thing is starting to become old and overused. You shouldn't be a "chosen" to be special, after all. It takes something off the accomplishments of the character.

JuliusBorisovGozeta
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    Tresset said:

I have a question!

So, drow have their own language right? How much of this drow language has been canonized? Like, I play various FR games and encounter various drow in them, and to my surprise they say some of the same stuff! Words like "Vendui" and "Oloth plynn dos" and a great deal more get used repeatedly not only in BG but in other games as well, such as NWN. Where do these words come from and how is it that people have enough time on their hands to make up a real language for an imaginary race?

Believe it or not, I found a website with a Drow to English and English to Drow dictionary. I know it's amazingly hard to believe, but I feel that it is sade to say that the entire drow language is canonized. I look at the dictionary to get a clear idea of what Viconia says when she speaks drow in BG2EE.
    GrumMoradinEadwyn_G8keeperJuliusBorisov
    Reminds me of the Imoen Romance mod, featuring a scene in drow language involving certain dairy products and body parts.
    I have another question:
    What is human women's role in Faerun? Are they usually part of the military? Do they have careers? Is their role considered same as men's role?
    MoradinGozeta