Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited April 2016

@bengoshi Yeah, totally listen to @AKrugBier and go in blind. Buy the game and start playing!

Oh, yeah. But you should first finish SoD. Altough, you said in Beta that you're running WinXp ?
    I'm not sure DS is compatible with it. Also, we'll give you an instruction how to get a mouse and keyboard support.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2016
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dark-souls-iii/critic-reviews
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark-souls-iii
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/dark-souls-iii

Reviews are now really coming in. There are multiple with 100 %, lowest being 70 %, and metascore is 90 % at the moment. Looking very good. I just got my scholarship so I might treat myself with a special edition game.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Can't wait for this, it's preordered, which is something I try not to do.
    I have taken 6 days leave in advance, going to buy supplies this weekend and then come Wednesday not leave the house for 8 days straight. XD
    @SmilingSword Hardcore; sounds like a plan. Have you decided on a build yet?
    @FinneousPJ, It's gonna be a 40/40 "or whatever the soft cap is in this game" quality build. I pretty much always go with a quality build when trying out a new souls game because then there are no weapons that you can't use. Which is nice for just trying everything out.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

It's gonna be a 40/40 [...] because then there are no weapons that you can't use.

But then you may miss out on the awesomeness that is dual wielding ultra sized weapons. My totally not overpowered monarch Fornando dual wields the basic Greatsword, which requires 42 strength, 15 dexterity and ~30 endurance. Poor Mytha... she had no idea what was happening.
    @SmilingSword @SethDavis Yeah plus some weapons do require INT or Faith.
    @FinneousPJ, yeah that is true but they are far and few between. Also nothing really ever takes that much faith or int to use, besides whatever version of Artorias's sword we are going to get.

The other reason I stay away from lvling int/fth is I don't want to use spells on my first playthrough. Souls games are generally set up for melee combat and spamming ranged spells feels like cheating most of the time. Don't get me wrong I love spell casters and will definitely be trying all the different spell schools out, just on later playthroughts.
    Might take a spell school just for the weapon buff but at the point I levels to spare for that, it's probably easier to just farm souls and buy pine resins.

As for starting classes, I'll pick the one with the best looking armour.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I got my hard copies of every other Soulsborne game now, just started a new character in Dark Souls 1 on PS3, a Cleric, and I'm finding the mace to be really bad in regards to swing speed and reach, though it certainly does have the scaling potential to be good. Eventually, I'm gonna level up a Strength, Divine, and Occult weapon, but I'm flummoxed as to what weapon I should pick for which slot. Oh, and I cut the gargoyle's tail for the first time, and I'm gonna use the Drake Sword until Anor Londo, because one legit runo on your first playthrough with the Capra Demon is all anyone should ever have to endure. I'm sure it'll still take me a half dozen attempts to even make it to the stairs to take out the dogs. Only legit unfair fight I can think of that I've had yet (though the Pursuer ganking you in the Lost Bastille is pretty close).....

I'm gonna level up a Strength, Divine, and Occult weapon, but I'm flummoxed as to what weapon I should pick for which slot.

Maybe give Lucerne a shot. It's got a nice moveset and works really well with the leo ring and divine scaling. It's just a quick jaunt down into the catacombs.

I thought it had innate faith scaling, but it looks like I was mistaken.

@FinneousPJ, yeah that is true but they are far and few between. Also nothing really ever takes that much faith or int to use, besides whatever version of Artorias's sword we are going to get.

The other reason I stay away from lvling int/fth is I don't want to use spells on my first playthrough. Souls games are generally set up for melee combat and spamming ranged spells feels like cheating most of the time. Don't get me wrong I love spell casters and will definitely be trying all the different spell schools out, just on later playthroughts.
    Might take a spell school just for the weapon buff but at the point I levels to spare for that, it's probably easier to just farm souls and buy pine resins.

People say this, and certain bosses are definitely easier, but there are many that aren't. The Pursuer as a Sorcerer in DS2 is a great example. He's highly resistant to magic damage, and maybe have a nearly useless shield and the Fire Short-sword, with very little defense if you're focusing on magic. You have to be nearmy perfect with your rolls to beat him, and you have to do a ton of them. Meanwhile you're lucky if you can survive two hits. Magic gets much more powerful later, but early on it's only useful if you are capable of constantly keeping range.

Miracles are even more useless initially. You get extra heals, but they are painfully slow. Force is good when you get it, but your offensive abilities are only coming later. I can't speak to Hexes. Pyromancy is a mixed bag in both games, though in 3 we are able to get it right of the bat again until waiting until the 3rd level.

In the end, magic makes things easier in general compared to strictly melee skills, but it isn't quite the cakewalk it's made out to be.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I love spell casters, full stop. And yes, once you really get up there in power (and focus on casting), you can 1-2 shot most baddies. But that doesn't come without SIGNIFICANT downside. The limited use of spells means that you are always going back to a rest point or using (relatively) expensive expendables. Also, in most scenarios, Sorcery in particular is severely gimped in PvP (an unavoidable component unless you play offline).

My high level caster in DS2 is a total beast against the game engine, yet I still couldn't take out the final boss alone whereas my STR/Faith Fighter did so if not easily, at least solo.
    I'm wondering right now whether my local 24 hour Wal-Mart will have the game available on the shelves at midnight Monday night, or if I'd have better luck at 5 or 6 am....
    if they don't have it at midnight, just stand there and stare at them awkwardly until they do have it, should speed things up.
    @jjstraka34 You should pre order it for in store pick up. That's what I did for my local shop.
    Amazon Prime. They deliver to my doorstep. :evillol:
    I don't think it's too early to give a major tip of the hat to From Software for pulling off a 5 game stretch here that rivals other great winning streaks in arts and entertainment. The level of quality we've seen from Demon's Souls to now rivals the work of the Beatles and Stones in their prime in music, or Scorsese and Tarantino at the peak of their powers in movies.

I'm a recent convert of these games over the last year, but they honestly leave me in awe. I've spoken before of the boss fogs being able to instill actual anxiety before I step through. Sometimes in Dark Souls 2 I'll just stand in Majula, listening to the haunting score repeat itself, feeling like I might be inside a painting. Looking around the corners of darkened streets in Yharnam legitimately freaked out about what sort of abomination is going to await me when I venture forward. It's just superb stuff, and as the_spyder said in the old thread many months ago, these games do have the ability to make everything else you play seem minor and lacking in comparison. On one hand, who wouldn't want to see more of these games in perpetuity?? On the other, if they stop now, they'll have a unassailable group of games whose legacy and quality will never be able to be questioned.
    There is something to be said about stopping while you are ahead of the curve. Many books, movies, TV shows and video franchises have held on past the point where they Jumped the Shark and it hurt their legacy. I've already pre-ordered DS3 and have high hopes for it. Since I gather they are already at least planning on a 4th, I guess we will see.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Another IP is coming, soulslike, but in different setting. DS4 will be put on hold for reimagining the franchise. I think From won't abandon the series only postpone it for more creative reboot or sequel.
    Also, Miyazaki said he needs to rest :)
    @brus Could it be Scifi
    edited April 2016
    It's been interesting for me to contemplate this afternoon how many people must simply give up on these games based on Trophy statistics on PSN. I just did the Witches of Hemwick, which is a great fight, though certainly nowhere near the challenge of most bosses in the series. However, looking at the statistics, only 48% of people who play Bloodborne have beaten this boss. I don't even consider myself a mediocre player, and I got it on my second try, and really only because I misjudged some spacing on the first. I feel like I could succeed on this fight 99/100 after seeing it twice, so how is it that this percentage is possible?? You need to beat her for the Rune Workshop Tool, and I can't imagine anyone who is playing Bloodborne is under any illusions about it's overall difficulty. What do you think accounts for these numbers??
    edited April 2016
    The witch could be explained by the fact that there's not really a good reason to fight her. You get the rune workshop tool, but the story doesn't advance. When I first found her area there was a difficulty spike in that first clearing, so I left it for later. I think I had opened up the last boss before I remembered that I had skipped that area and went back.

Bloodborne is strange in comparison to other souls games in that most of the bosses are optional. I think there's only 5 that you have to fight to beat the game. It takes about an hour and a half if you know where they are, WAY less than the others.
    She's definitely optional, but there is also a whole desk in the Hunter's Dream that never gets opened up if you don't fight her. I personally went here because bigger bosses like Vicar Amelia seem more intimidating, but I've now cleared every inch of the Cathedral Ward and Hemwick Charnel Lane (maybe the best name for any zone that looks like this one does ever) so I have no choice but to proceed when I play again.

Bloodborne has a myriad of things going for it. It's story is worthy of being considered among the best of any Cthulhu Mythos-related fiction in any medium, plus it is given audio and visual context that is (literally in gameplay terms) mind-blowing. It's amazing how it turns from a very brutal and unnerving Victorian Werewolf hunting game into something far, far more terrifying.

I fought my first Chalice Dungeon boss today too, and though I commend them for adding a new wrinkle to things, it's decidedly mediocre compared to the game proper, and does feel like content for content's sake. It's not bad, and I'm glad they're there, but I doubt From would go this route again.
    edited April 2016
    Yep, that's another trophy not many people have. 8.5% of players have "finished" the chalice dungeons, even though the final chalice boss is easier than most story bosses. It's a pretty long slog.

What's really wierd is that there are actually fewer people who have platinum-ed the game than there are that have finished the dungeons O_o
    Don't know how many of you are gonna be playing on PS4 starting tmw night, or how co-op works (or doesn't) but if anyone would like to engage in jolly cooperation in our inevitable struggles, my screen name is exactly as it is here.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Go Deprived or go home.
    @jjstraka34 - I will be playing on my PS4 but probably not till the weekend. And then I will want to explore a bit before I get into any sort of multi-player (probably start off offline mode at least till the PVP gets settled down a bit). But definitely report back what your thoughts are and what you like/dislike about it.
    I'm getting the PC version.
    edited April 2016

People say this, and certain bosses are definitely easier, but there are many that aren't. The Pursuer as a Sorcerer in DS2 is a great example. He's highly resistant to magic damage, and maybe have a nearly useless shield and the Fire Short-sword, with very little defense if you're focusing on magic. You have to be nearmy perfect with your rolls to beat him, and you have to do a ton of them. Meanwhile you're lucky if you can survive two hits. Magic gets much more powerful later, but early on it's only useful if you are capable of constantly keeping range.

Miracles are even more useless initially. You get extra heals, but they are painfully slow. Force is good when you get it, but your offensive abilities are only coming later. I can't speak to Hexes. Pyromancy is a mixed bag in both games, though in 3 we are able to get it right of the bat again until waiting until the 3rd level.

In the end, magic makes things easier in general compared to strictly melee skills, but it isn't quite the cakewalk it's made out to be.
    I know this a bit late but I just want to say the Pursuer is probably not the best example of a boss that's harder to beat as a caster than as a melee meathead. The reason being is the fight plays out the exact same way, the Pursuer charges in and you parry his big underarm strike and then hit him for many unblockable damage. Pursuer only has 45% spell resistance but a huge 65% dark resistance and I destroyed him with my Hexer build.

Yes the first ambush is annoying but his first boss fight is really just parry and ballista then win. By the time you fight him again you should have more than enough int/fth/gear/good spells to destroy him.

The only bosses that I found harder as a caster are some of the DLC bosses like Raime, just because the magic/fire/dark resistances in the DLC were insane.
    I'm so keen for this game to come out already, it's pre loading on steam right now. I have taken a look at classes and stats and I've got 4 options to make a decent quality build which is pretty cool.

They are Knight, Warrior, Thief and Deprived.

Thief has wasted points in attunement but that early luck might just make up for it.

The Knight has low luck and the Deprived has a pretty nice spread with all 10s at lvl 1 but not nice enough as there is no stat bonus to taking Deprived in this game. All classes will have a stat distribution of 99 at level 10.

I'm leaning towards Warrior because they have the lowest attunement at just 6, also hand axes are generally really good in Souls games.