Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Q: How do you make the valley of defilement, blight town, nightmare of mensis worse?

A:
    Fill it with a half dozen spell casting cleric beasts
    I hate you Fromsoftware... this means war
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2016
    @SethDavis One trick I learned is to equip a dagger and use its sword art to dash around.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2016
    @Franpa

I Retract my last statement, the CPU is used for 60%-70% (quad core) pretty evenly.

Maybe they can optimize the PC version a bit further, as it is strange that framerate doesnt just drop, but completly goes to 0 for a few ms.

@jjstraka34
    Isn't it always like this. New enemies, new fight patterns. At first they seem impossible to beat, but with time you just know their weaknesses and kill them off easily.
    Those Lothric Knights e.g. have very little poise, even though they wear knights armor.
    Still haven't found a good way to deal with the blighted undead though

Finally found some pants though!
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Anybody know what the item is in front of Wolnir? I killed him and got teleported out before I could pick it up.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Its a Pyromancy Tome.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited April 2016
    Yamcha said:

@Franpa

I Retract my last statement, the CPU is used for 60%-70% (quad core) pretty evenly.

Maybe they can optimize the PC version a bit further, as it is strange that framerate doesnt just drop, but completly goes to 0 for a few ms.

@jjstraka34
    Isn't it always like this. New enemies, new fight patterns. At first they seem impossible to beat, but with time you just know their weaknesses and kill them off easily.
    Those Lothric Knights e.g. have very little poise, even though they wear knights armor.
    Still haven't found a good way to deal with the blighted undead though

Finally found some pants though!

I wouldn't be surprised if the new display drivers perform terribly for video cards newer than the 500 series but afaik I don't think the 314.22 drivers support the 900 series so you're out of luck?

If you've used GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner etc. you'll probably notice that although you've configured the video card drivers to "Prefer Maximum Performance" the video card still underclocks when idle/at the desktop etc. You can work around this and reinstate the old behaviour (always operate at stock clock frequencies regardless of what's happening) from before Nvidia instituted an annoying change in the 2xx.xx drivers that causes the video card to ignore your choice.

I made a post detailing this here: http://board.byuu.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=22911#p22911 it's pretty straight forward stuff and the changes are all performed within the Nvidia Control Panel, no other programs required. I've been doing this for several years/ever since Nvidia broke the obvious setting for keeping the video card from underclocking without encountering any issues (Other than the video card consuming slightly more power and generating slightly more heat when idle).

You can also edit the Power Profile in the Windows Control Panel > Power Options and configure it so that the minimum speed the CPU operates at is 100% performance and that the PCI-E slot is not operating in any kind of energy efficiency mode.

I go out of my way to disable as much "power saving/trouble generating" bullcrap possible. The only thing like it that I keep enabled is the Intel Thermal Management component in the BIOS (TM), this simply ensures the CPU will power down if it ever overheats or draws too much power etc. and shouldn't get in the way of normal day-to-day operation of the computer (Except maybe if you're overclocking)
    Wow. Today I reached Aldrich and had a lore explosion in my pants. Gave up on trying to beat it for now and killed Yhorm instead. I feel the late game is going to be crazy!

I was level 55 with 24 hours in the game. Maxed out Endurance at 40 points. Hint: it actually gives more stamina per point as you get to higher Endurance values.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Wow. Today I reached Aldrich and had a lore explosion in my pants. Gave up on trying to beat it for now and killed Yhorm instead. I feel the late game is going to be crazy!

I was level 55 with 24 hours in the game. Maxed out Endurance at 40 points. Hint: it actually gives more stamina per point as you get to higher Endurance values.

Slight difference in skill level that I talked about lol. Me, 16 hours in and just got to the Cursed Greatwood area (but I'm not done exploring the area yet, I'm still trying to find the route to the tower shooting the arrows. You, already on your 3rd Lord of Cinder.

That's one of the lore explosions I talked about, for sure. I still don't know how all this fits together. There are clearly people from the original Londor showing up here, there are people playing the exact same roles as their counterparts from before. I used to think Drangleic could be Lordran, but I no longer believe that at all. And I'm not at all convinced Lothric is either. I think Lothric was just VERY close to Lordran, clearly to the North, maybe with connections to the Asylum. It's likely the land Vendrick visited to attack the giants. But other than that?? Still piecing it together.
    edited April 2016
    @jjstraka34 It could be different playstyles as well. I like moving forward. Then I will come back and check out the secrets I made a note of having left behind. I left loads of stuff unexplored on my way to the 1st Lord of Cinder. Your playstyle is probably slower but just as valid.

I actually think Lothric is Drangleic just north of Lordran and we are exploring the remains of both in this game.
    From what I can tell my worthy friends, the world of Dark Souls 3 is basically all different lands/times/realities colliding and collapsing together into one as the Flame is fading. So it takes place after Dark Souls 1 and 2 but also at the same time and in places that are the same but aren't.
    My basic fundamentals for the lore between the games revolve around Anor Londo, Heide's Tower of Flame, and Gwenevere. Nothing in Anor Londo that retained it's former glory was real, including Ornstein and Smough. Gwenevere married a flame God and set out across the sea, and Heide was at one time their kingdom. The real Ornstein is in Heide, not the illusions fought in Anor Londo. And without giving anything away, we know Lothric must be close to Lordran given how 3 progresses. But Drangleic, and indeed 2's entire story tells me it was a land apart from Lordran/Lothric, though affected by the same curse. But the beauty is, we'll never know. The story is in our heads, and we probably change it as frequently as we think we have it all figured out.
    edited April 2016
    I'm getting ready to tackle the 2nd Boss !

My armor still consists of mostly rags and a rusty helmet.
    At least the sword is nice.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665588255

You know that cathedral between on the opposite site of the Dog boss?
    There were a lot of ominous messages on the front steps, even a message with gold seal (1000+ ratings)
    Something along the line "she is not dangerous"
    Ofcourse I didn't go in... (no estus, but a lot of dead knights and unspent souls )
    Only when I got the ring of sacrifies I took all my courages and went near the old woman. Just to receive advice and a gift.
    Turns out the messages weren't misleading Hahah
    I don't know what the heck is up with the name censoring system they've got here my friends. I've seen people like K***ht or T**mas (Knight and Thomas) that is blocked but then I ran into a guy who was called Gay F____ (A word that starts with F that is very rude) which was completely uncensored.
    Its a pretty simple system. A list of strings gets compared to your name, and if it contains that substring, it gets censored. kNIGht gets detected and censored (nig nigger)
    Sometimes this censors an offensive name, most of the time it's a false positive though.

As you see this system is pretty flawed, and its easy to circumvent anyways. I guess n1gg3r or some variants would get through.

No idea how OH could be offensive

I know how it works friend but thank you for the explanation all the same. I was just amazed that someone with the same name as a bundle of sticks or a derogatory word for gay people was somehow fine when it is so trigger happy with the censoring normally. I guess that one slipped through the cracks.

In other news I'm having lots of fun with the game, I'm taking a break from PvE to do some fun PvP action. I had lots of fun with the Aldrich covenant today trying lots of different weapons and armours and getting lots of summons really quickly. I can't seem to get any summons for the Darkmoon though, which is annoying since you cant use the Red Eye Orb as an alternate way to get the item like you can with Sunbros or the Purple dudes.
    edited April 2016
    Ha!!! Got the Curse-rotted Greatwood on my third try, and literally did multiple fists pumps while jumping up off my couch....great boss....
    Congrats on crushing the nuts of a tree man my friend.
    It's not too bad a fight, rare one where the second phase is far easier. I also encourage everyone to scour these areas up and down. I spent two days in the Undead Settlement, and it's just brimming with stuff to find.
    edited April 2016

From what I can tell my worthy friends, the world of Dark Souls 3 is basically all different lands/times/realities colliding and collapsing together into one as the Flame is fading. So it takes place after Dark Souls 1 and 2 but also at the same time and in places that are the same but aren't.

This is likely....some of the NPCs are clearly people we've met before, but aren't, strictly speaking....

Also just read that Iudex Gundyr roughly translates to "battle judge"....so, so fitting for how he's used.....
    OMG the dancer is super hard for me. Can't read its moves for s**t.
    And my SSD died, joy.

I hate my life
    ouch, is there a cloud save option, or have you lost your progress?
    @SmilingSword Shit. Steam cloud?
    I beat the Dancer. 20 minutes grinding XP, 8 levels, and still had to summon two phantoms both of which died before beating it. I repeat my earlier assessment: OMG
    edited April 2016

@SmilingSword Shit. Steam cloud?

I hope it's on by default because I didn't set anything up.

It's still under warranty so I'm hoping the place is I got it is open tmr. Installing DS on my work laptop right now.
    SethDavis said:

Lol, it should work fine. My work just got me a new laptop about a month ago, to go along with a promotion. It's kind of a beast by laptop standards. I don't think it will run on ultra without frame drops but high should be fine.

I beat the Dancer. 20 minutes grinding XP, 8 levels, and still had to summon two phantoms both of which died before beating it. I repeat my earlier assessment: OMG

Seems very Ludwig-esque.....not to mention she and the Greatwood were the bosses everyone saw in promotional material. She definitely looks among the most visually striking. It seems the consensus is that the Dancer, Pontiff, Nameless King, Princes, and Abyss Watchers are where the challenge lies....
    really? the Abyss Watchers?
    @jjstraka34 There's a youtube video of someone beating it without taking damage so it might be just me. Its enigmatic animations really throw me off x_x