Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2017

Also, fwiw, I get 60 fps in Dark Souls III with a GeForce GTX 950. I don't remember how much it cost, though.

Also I spent enough on my computer that I bought a relatively small monitor, so that may contribute to performance (1366 x 768 I think). I'll be upgrading that soon.

The thing is, those variables of 10 are a MASSIVE upgrade in power in regards to the power of Nvidia cards. My laptop is still decent. I have hundreds of games I can play with very stable FPS, and two I really need to get myself to get into that run really well are Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (often compared favorably to Dark Souls) and Kingdoms of Amular.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Variables of 10?

I have Dragon's Dogma but I haven't tried it yet. I think I got it in a humble monthly bundle?
    Like 940, 950, 960, 970

I know the first two numbers denote some kind of power as well. Obviously something that is in the "10" series (like 1060 or 1070) is another level again. Until recently I'm pretty sure a 1080 is as high as you could get for a Nvidia card but apparently they are working on something even more powerful.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 The first number(s) is the generation: 9 or 10 here. Second number is the segment, where higher is better and more expensive. Note that mobile GPUs do not compare directly to desktop. A desktop 940 is more powerful than your mobile 940M

Like 940, 950, 960, 970

I know the first two numbers denote some kind of power as well. Obviously something that is in the "10" series (like 1060 or 1070) is another level again. Until recently I'm pretty sure a 1080 is as high as you could get for a Nvidia card but apparently they are working on something even more powerful.

Oh, okay, yeah, I knew that. Was just saying what my video card can do.

@jjstraka34 The first number(s) is the generation: 9 or 10 here. Second number is the segment, where higher is better and more expensive. Note that mobile GPUs do not compare directly to desktop. A desktop 940 is more powerful than your mobile 940M

Really?? So not only are they more expensive, but the same card in a laptop is less powerful than the same named card in a desktop??
    @jjstraka34 Yes, really. A laptop is a very restrictive computing platform. It's impossible to get the same performance as a desktop. According to this

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-950M-vs-GeForce-GTX-950

the desktop 950 scores 8,351 in 3DMar 06 vs 4,444 for the mobile version.
    edited April 2017
    So the cheater who invaded me a couple of weeks ago put this in his steam profile:
    ****ing fromsoft i wanna cheat in ds2. let me cheed you ****s
    I kind of feel vindicated.

Post edited by BelleSorciere on
    @jjstraka34 I found this video about Dark Souls II to be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLA4q0vQga8
    edited April 2017

@jjstraka34 I found this video about Dark Souls II to be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLA4q0vQga8

I actually watched this earlier during dinner :p

I guess I can't really speak for what it was like to play Dark Souls 2 at launch, because I've never owned that version, and don't really see the point of buying it. I know the torch mechanic that was so lamented as being a waste in the base game is absolutely necessary in location after location in Scholar, because they updated the graphical capability. Again, Dark Souls 2 isn't NEARLY as linear as Dark Souls 3. You can go to the Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower of Flame, or the Shaded Woods almost immediately. The game is a wheel with spokes, but those spokes just keep giving and giving, and right at the point when you think you're done, ANOTHER spoke opens up. I SUPPOSE you can technically fight the Dancer early on in Dark Souls 3 and get access to Lothric Castle, but you have to be pretty damn good to pull that off. Aside from that, the only choice you get in progression til halfway through the game is whether you go to the Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep.

Yeah, I think his previous video was pretty negative, so the positivity in this one surprised me.

All I know about the original Dark Souls II is that it's easier than SotFS especially in the early parts.
    I tried using the Black Knight Sword on my Sarevok build.

https://youtu.be/B1Nl1w2j9WQ

BTW, check out 23:40-39:40 for one of my best invasions. Yes, that's 16 minutes, 5 phantoms I had to kill before getting the host!!
    edited May 2017
    Nicely done!

Okay I have more than a few hours in Dark Souls (although not nearly as many as some of y'all in this thread) but one secret eludes me: How the heck do I make sure my kicks work as intended? I have the hardest time doing it in both 1 and 3, and I suspect that my problem is actually my controller. But...just in case...

I mean I know it's left thumbstick in a direction + right button / r1, I just can only seem to get it to work like half the time outside of combat and not so much in combat.

I use an Xbox 360 wired controller on my PC.
    edited May 2017

Nicely done!

Okay I have more than a few hours in Dark Souls (although not nearly as many as some of y'all in this thread) but one secret eludes me: How the heck do I make sure my kicks work as intended? I have the hardest time doing it in both 1 and 3, and I suspect that my problem is actually my controller. But...just in case...

I mean I know it's left thumbstick in a direction + right button / r1, I just can only seem to get it to work like half the time outside of combat and not so much in combat.

It's not you, it's just a terrible mechanic. Parrying I have become quite good at (at least in 1). Kicking I don't even bother with, and it only seems to happen by accident when I don't want it to.

Nicely done!

Thanks!

I find it not 100 % repeatable as well. At least I've learned how *not* to kick by accident! I use the same controller as well.

Nicely done!

It's not you, it's just a terrible mechanic. Parrying I have become quite good at (at least in 1). Kicking I don't even bother with, and it only seems to happen by accident when I don't want it to.
    It is a consequence of running out of buttons, I suppose. If you have a programmable controller you can program the kick to a key. I think people were praising the Steam controller for this over on Reddit.
    edited May 2017

Nicely done!

Ah, thanks. I am glad to know it's not just me. I see streams of people doing it almost effortlessly, though and I wonder what I'm missing.

To be fair, literally the only time I really think I could use kick is to knock certain NPCs off ledges. Like Lautrec or the swordsman near Firelink Shrine in 3.

Something I did notice in Extra Play's Dark Souls III LP (Dan Sucks at Dark Souls III, specifically) is that the kick can leave someone exposed for a critical attack, and that does make it seem more important. Which kind of contradicts my previous sentence.

I guess I'll set this aside and try harder to learn parrying in DSIII, although in most situations it's not really necessary. Hopefully the scenarios where it is necessary are easier to pull off but who am I kidding?

Nicely done!

Thanks!

I find it not 100 % repeatable as well. At least I've learned how *not* to kick by accident! I use the same controller as well.

Nicely done!

It is a consequence of running out of buttons, I suppose. If you have a programmable controller you can program the kick to a key. I think people were praising the Steam controller for this over on Reddit.
    I need to buy a new controller this month. Maybe I should get the Steam controller instead of the Xbox One controller. I'll have to do some research before I pull the trigger on that, though.

My old controller still works as well as it ever did, but the cable's splitting open and once my R1 stopped responding while I was parrying my way through DS1, which was completely awkward.

Parrying is far more important in Dark Souls 1 than in any of the sequels, though once you learn to do it (along with circle-backstabs) it trivializes vast portions of the game.

As for the Swordmaster outside the Dark Souls 3 Firelink, my PLAN for him was to knock him off, but I ended up doing the opposite, with him knocking me off but in the process forcing himself off the cliff from the momentum of his swing. The first time anyway. I found he wasn't nearly as tough on other runs.
    Parries and backstabs are also very satisfying mechanics. It just feels good to get that little sound and follow up with a massive hit.

@FinneousPJ I watched that again and it is art. I only watched the part where you took on five (almost six!) phantoms before finally getting the host, and that was pretty amazing. Also amazing was the one who came back like three times in a row apparently expecting a different outcome.
    So upon looking into it, it appears that the Steam controller is not for me.

The negatives I've seen cited are things that would make it quite difficult for me to enjoy games while using it. Hopefully some further development will improve matters.
    @BelleSorciere Yeah, what an adrenaline rush that invasion was!

What are the negatives that put you off?

I tried using the Black Knight Sword on my Sarevok build.

https://youtu.be/B1Nl1w2j9WQ

BTW, check out 23:40-39:40 for one of my best invasions. Yes, that's 16 minutes, 5 phantoms I had to kill before getting the host!!

I was always under the impression your rig was top of the line, or is PvP always this choppy?? Maybe it's just because you were recording/streaming......
    @jjstraka34 Yeah it's the recording. The game runs fine but for some reason the recording gets choppy at times. I'm still learning how to set it up.
    edited May 2017

@BelleSorciere Yeah, what an adrenaline rush that invasion was!

What are the negatives that put you off?

Oh, apparently it doesn't have a genuine driver? And you have to run games through Big Picture, which isn't really so bad except apparently when the overlay crashes or the game crashes or the controller's software crashes (that's kind of vague, but there were quite a few anecdotes of this nature). Also it's apparently finicky in several ways. I want to be able to plug and play. Some config is fine but it sounds like you have to config just about everything or you'll basically have an Xbox controller anyway, so I'll just go with one of those.

I mean a lot of people really like the steam controller so I'm not advising against buying it, just that what I read of the negatives turned me off.
    I see. Maybe wait for the Steam controller version 2! :D
    edited May 2017
    So today gaming sites were saying that Code Vein was Dark Souls with more anime - or in a few cases, Bloodborne with more anime. I think it's a bit early to come to that conclusion, even considering the "Prepare to Dine" tagline in the teaser.

Forbes has an article about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLdBq3_cHM
    It should be noted this game is not being developed by From Software.
    That is true.

It's being touted as Dark Souls/Bloodborne meets anime, although that's by the press and not Bandai Namco.

Some people have said it looks more like God Eater. Apparently the same team that made God Eater is making this.

Anyway, sorry if it's off-topic. It seemed of interest.
    @BelleSorciere No worries, I think it's welcome here. I just wanted to point that out as it's not obvious and in my opinion the marketing is a bit misleading with the slogan and all.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I started a few new characters and I'd like to do the first DLC area a bit earlier (gather all those nice large titanite pieces).
    I would welcome a change to do some coop, but alas, there a never any summon signs down..
    If someone has a character around my level range (~40), I really could use the help :smiley:

Please add me:
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/mrmoe7
    @Yamcha You can use a password to bypass the level restriction. Unfortunately I am not at my gaming PC until the weekend.