Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited October 2017

Yes I see. I do have the cutscene lack of smoothness issue at times but other than that I had no problems. Compared to say DS1 I find this a good port lol

Look into the FAR mod! The name says resolution but it has many fixes. It allowed me to get a smooth framerate, it also allows you to tweak deeper settings, if your computer is strong enough you can increase video settings that you can’t through the games menu. It all works through a on screen overlay you can bring down and tweak live while playing. Honestly one of the bedt fan utility mods I’ve ever experienced!
    - oh and it fixes the cutscene framerste thing ;)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2017
    Well, the Dark Souls 1 port was basically From handing the code to the PC community and saying "you make it what you want". DSFix was already available the day it came out if I'm not mistaken. There were never any plans to release it on PC because they probably didn't expect it to sell on consoles. Then it became a phenomena. I'm not sure it's fair to rag on PC versions of games without being willing to patch, mod or do workarounds. It's an inherent part of the process. In retrosepct, it's the console versions of Dark Souls that suck. Blighttown will forever be stuck at a sub-20 framerate.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It's totally fair to criticize poor ports whether you are willing to patch them or not, imo. I don't think it's reasonable to place anything beyond reproach.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2017
    The Demon's Souls servers are being shut-down in February. While this was inevitable given it being a PS3 exclusive, it also is a great jumping-off point for a discussion about how games with online components are not built to last. Case in point, I hacked my SNES Classic this weekend and added over 79 Roms I had stored to create my own ultimate 100 game collection. There isn't a single game on there that plays differently than it did in 1995. In 20 years, how many games since the advent of high-speed internet access will be (if not totally unplayable) irrevocably changed by their inevitable lack of server support?? Specifically, look at something like Destiny. You aren't paying to always own and have access to that game, because it likely won't be accessible in 10 years.
    edited November 2017
    Luckily the Souls games will mostly be there, just not the online components.
    It'll be a bit before the Dark Souls games servers are shut down at least.

EpicNameBro thinks that the server shutdown is prelude to a "Remastered Demon's Soul" announcement. I'm not entirely convinced, but I like his optimism.

It'll be a bit before the Dark Souls games servers are shut down at least.

EpicNameBro thinks that the server shutdown is prelude to a "Remastered Demon's Soul" announcement. I'm not entirely convinced, but I like his optimism.

I'm even less convinced than you are, as it's rights as a Sony Exclusive place it in a weird limbo. If it did come out, it would almost certainly be a PS4 exclusive, which I would be fine with, but I would think if either that or Dark Souls was getting a remaster, it would have happened already.

I'm still holding out a last bit of hope for the Dark Souls Trilogy on the Switch. Now that I own one and have seen what they did with Skyrim (amazing port) and Doom (even more amazing despite the graphical concessions), I believe if From was dedicated to getting Darks Souls 3 to run well on the system, if could certainly be done. Alas, I also put the chances for this at about 10%, though one has to wonder what games From IS going to release for the console since they struck a deal with Nintendo.
    You're overstating how convinced I am, or maybe I'm underestimating how unconvinced you are. Or both.
    Rumors are going around that Bandai Namco is either going to announce something Dark Souls related for the Switch, or a Dark Souls Remaster in the next week or two (or both). It certainly seems that the wheelhouse for the Switch is PS3-era games, because while it is more powerful than the last gen, it is decidedly less powerful than the current one. The game deserves a proper optimization job. Moreover, if this were to happen (an HD version), how would we feel if, say, Lost Izalith was actually fleshed out more. Or, say, if a Demon's Souls Remaster included new content in the way of the 6th Archstone?? Neither are likely to happen, but one can dream.
    edited December 2017
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    a bloody tease is what it is

also, "What......is this??" must always be followed by someone posting this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLvvkTbHjHI
    @jjstraka34 Nice. I've been waiting for a big reveal for months. At least it's something!
    It's a long wait until the 15th.
    this seems to be coming up fairly often in the comments, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Tower

any of you ever play it?
    edited December 2017
    SethDavis said:

this seems to be coming up fairly often in the comments, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Tower

any of you ever play it?

I've fired up an emulated version before, didn't do much with it. Actually, I may own it on my PS3, but my PS3 is in my closet and not likely to ever come out of it, so.....

From what I hear, the best game they made before Demon's Souls was King's Field 4, which was a PS2 exclusive that is thought of pretty highly by From fans who have played it.
    SethDavis said:

any of you ever play it?

Nope, never.
    edited December 2017
    Do you guys sometimes think that Dark Souls is like the Dark Souls of Dark Souls?

https://youtu.be/AoOC2y9s4VA
    No

That would be silly
    Pretty impressive that DS3 was still a top selling game in 2017. It was released Q1/16 after all.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/
    edited January 2018
    About time, but now I'll have to buy 3 copies (PS4, Switch, PC).
    Best of all it seems to be a tech update based on DS3 engine

"There aren’t that many technical details available yet, either, but the report mentioned upgraded textures, and “rebuilt lighting and SFX” based on Dark Souls 3 tech.

PvP and co-op is also getting an upgrade to six concurrent players. The remaster is pegged for a May release on all platforms, and the report added that Namco is also looking into bringing the two remaining Dark Souls games to Switch."

https://www.vg247.com/2018/01/11/dark-souls-remaster-in-the-works-for-switch-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one-to-be-announced-today-rumour/

Best of all it seems to be a tech update based on DS3 engine

"There aren’t that many technical details available yet, either, but the report mentioned upgraded textures, and “rebuilt lighting and SFX” based on Dark Souls 3 tech.

PvP and co-op is also getting an upgrade to six concurrent players. The remaster is pegged for a May release on all platforms, and the report added that Namco is also looking into bringing the two remaining Dark Souls games to Switch."

https://www.vg247.com/2018/01/11/dark-souls-remaster-in-the-works-for-switch-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one-to-be-announced-today-rumour/

The Switch is quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles ever. Even if you subtract the blockbuster Nintendo exclusives, if all 2018 is defined by is last-gen ports playable on a handheld, it will still be a blockbuster year. Give me Mass Effect Trilogy as well. As for Dark Souls 3, it won't be easy, but Bethesda has already released DOOM, which runs smooth, and a Wolfenstein port is on the way. Add to that the fact that it is THE best way to play indie games that would otherwise sit in your Steam catalog, and you have a real game-changer. The Switch has turning into something no one could have foreseen.
    I'm glad this rumor paid off. Looking forward to getting the remaster.
    I look forward to never needing dsfix again.
    And 4k 60 fps on my PC

And 4k 60 fps on my PC

Yeah, this is really excellent news all-around. I mean, dsfix isn't a arduous install or anything, but every so often, my controller gets janky. And I never really have any interest in hauling the monstrosity that is my PS3 out of the closet. I'll probably buy all 3. I'm hoping the PC version is like Skyrim and Bioshock, where the remaster is automatically added to Steam if you own the game.

And 4k 60 fps on my PC

Yeah, this is really excellent news all-around. I mean, dsfix isn't a arduous install or anything, but every so often, my controller gets janky. And I never really have any interest in hauling the monstrosity that is my PS3 out of the closet. I'll probably buy all 3. I'm hoping the PC version is like Skyrim and Bioshock, where the remaster is automatically added to Steam if you own the game.
    That would be nice. I hope for it too.