Skip to content

What frame rate do you use?

SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
Hey

It has come to my attention that many people actually play with the default 30 FPS. This intrigued me so much that I had to come ask directly here.

I use 45. Honestly anything below feels SLOW! Especially at 1APR with all the cosmetics. Anything higher than 45 will feel like Haste though so that's my limit.

How do people can bear 30? It's crazy

Also, it should definitely be integrated into the UI with a slider for 2.0

Post away!

Comments

• MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    A frame rate slider in the options menu would be amazing......
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I set it to 45 as well. Anything slower and it bothers me by how slow it is.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,422
    A frame rate slider in the options menu would be confusing...

Frame Rate is the rate at which frames are displayed on the monitor. A higher framerate should lead to a smoother video of the gameplay.

That's all Frame Rate is supposed to do. Now, BG is a pretty old game, and unfortunately, in game speed is tied to said frame rate, thus, if you change the Frame Rate, you also change the Game Speed. It kinda gets away with it for being such an old game (though technically, the EE games are only 4 years old, so it would've been nice if they fixed it and made frame rate and game speed separate, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth).

Anyhow, when offering a frame rate slider, it'll appear to be a graphical setting, as it's supposed to be. If a slider is to be included, it should be called a game speed slider, not a frame rate slider.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    35 for me, when I think to change it. Fast enough to smooth out the animations, slow enough that it doesn't feel like a Benny Hill chase scene.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Maybe it's because I still can remember watching arrows literally change their trajectory in midair on an unpatched Baldur's Gate 1, but I feel the default speed is just fine...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I play in 30. I played through BG2 seven times before I discovered mods or hidden setting changes like frame rate, so anything other than 30 just feels wrong to me.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    60. Can't stand even 45.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    60...... i just hate the slow walking speeds/fights. just turn on all auto-pause options and you'll be fine
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited March 2016
    40 for me, all i need is the gameplay to be fluid.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    When I make feature request about implementing fast mode in the game, there is silence. But when somebody complains about FPS, everyone loose their minds.

Gamers and FPS nowadays.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    I think 40 is good. Smoothes out the animations and makes things more fluid without making it look like everything is on fast forward.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    I leave it at 30 and if I'm backtracking or traveling through a town I use the Ctrl J cheat to warp around the place. I dunno if v2.00 improves the path finding, it was pretty terrible in narrow spaces with your characters bumping in to each other/stalling each other making it take forever to walk anywhere lol.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    60 fps in Baldur's Gate is unbelievably glitchy and honestly gives me a headache after half an hour of play. Something about the style compared to modern games just makes it uncomfortable to play at higher than 30 to 40. That or I'm just used to it.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,422
    Artemius_I wrote: »
    Something about the style compared to modern games just makes it uncomfortable to play at higher than 30 to 40.

You can't compare FPS in BG with FPS in modern games, as modern games don't have game speed linked to FPS. It's not the 60 FPS itself that's troubling, but the game running at twice the normal speed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    I do believe the people at the Beamdog office now are at 100 fps and counting.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I used to play on 40 or 42 fps back in my meva modded bgt game. I thought 30 fps was unbearable as well.

However Since bg:ee I almost always play modded on ipad and it is set to 30 fps. There was a bug in bg:ee first versions with the Gorion ambush cutscene if you played higher than 30 fps back then. Dunno if it is fixed. Anyway, I am not sure if there is a way to change the fps on Ipad and I am well used to it and it does not bother me at all.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've never increased the frame rate because it decreases my reaction time in no-reload runs.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405

I've never increased the frame rate because it decreases my reaction time in no-reload runs.

Don't you use pause? :P
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ifupauline: I do, as well as various auto-pause options. But even tiny mistakes can have huge consequences in no-reload runs, and not all fatal events can trigger an auto-pause.

An excellent example is seeing a Finger of Death coming your way. You only have maybe one second to see the spell projectile coming your way, and being a fraction of a second too late to drink a Potion of Magic Shielding could mean the end of the run.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I like the pace of the standard framerate. Especially after playing some Pillars of Eternity, the standard speed feels is way to fast for combat, so you have to constantly interrupt the fights.

With BG's 6sec rounds theres much time to handle all the standard fights without much pausing.